• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Crayolan

Did anybody else see this on the reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3gf13i/that_feel_when_you_try_to_carry_your_team_but/
I didn't think it was possible to get that many kills and still lose but there ya go.

Looking through the sub I found this:
tccTtws.png

Robotguy

Did anybody else see this on the reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3gf13i/that_feel_when_you_try_to_carry_your_team_but/
I didn't think it was possible to get that many kills and still lose but there ya go.
I had a match near when TC first came out when I was 22/10 and my teammates were 3/10, 3/11, and 3/11. So, about 2.4X as many kills as the rest of my team combined with no more deaths. Thanks guys.
Granted I probably should have played safer and died less, but it's hard to play safe when your teammates aren't getting any kills.

ryechu

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Man, I just love brush style gameplay but can't stand little aspects of the current Inkbrush. I'm just going to take things for what they are and try learning the current Octobrush so I have some fun ideas for using it as a weapon when Octo Noveau drops.

At the same time, this is also my chance to experiment with beakons, the only sub in the game I've never really done anything with.

Beakons are the best ;D which map you want to know where to place them for now?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
44/45 Amiibo challenges done and I fail the last Roller boss fight during the final octoball ping-pong battle.

Feels bad.

I'm on the final battle for both the roller and charger, having completing the squid's challenges entirely. I haven't attempted either since early June. I should really go back and apply my experience to them now and see how I do.

Whoever GAF Lundi is, sorry for being absolute garbage in that Arowana Turf Wars just now. For some reason I'm getting really extreme lag tonight, like I'm watching rollers stand still, then they teleport halfway across the map, tons of enemy ink pops in and I suddenly explode. I even had one of my mines explode, then 4-5 seconds later a dude walks over where it used to be and randomly dies.

I'm on the final battle for both the roller and charger, having completing the squid's challenges entirely. I haven't attempted either since early June. I should really go back and apply my experience to them now and see how I do.
They seemed easy to me after I did the squid ones

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Squid challenges were my favourite. The limited ink ones were actually challenging, where the timed ones were easy, but satisfying.

Thinking about making the transition to Octobrush. Tell me what's good SplatGAF. Also good places to set up beakons?

Honestly it isn't a difficult transition to make, it's just a more combat orientated brush that is shitty at spreading ink. The same tactics as the IB work fine, play sneaky, take control of key areas, paint everything in that area so you have plenty of mobility, then hide and ambush people that try to get close. Always keep your kraken charged as well, it's very useful if the enemy groups up to take you out since you can jump down to kill one and then kraken to charge after the others that have no doubt closed in for a "free kill". And always keep the high ground if possible, jumping onto the enemy and flailing like a madman is the best way to get a kill against high power weapons since they rarely can react in time.

A good example of where you can pull some ridiculous shenanigans with the Octobrush is the middle of Kelp Dome, climb the middle, ink everything around, hide, then jump down and flail at anyone who tries to get near the tower. If they come from the walkways instead jump down, go around the tower a bit, swim straight back up and smack them as they are looking around for you. Just make sure you have plenty of room to swim and they don't. Bluefin is another good one, take control of one side, ink on top of the little walls under the bridge and then just swim up and over them when an enemy approaches so you can jump at them flailing wildly.

Good beacon locations? In high traffic locations behind walls and objects on your side of the map so the enemy doesn't see them. On maps like Bluefin with two sides to defend I also like to have 1 down on each side so I can quickly jump to whichever side needs help. Also don't underestimate placing them in big open areas as decoys, most players are stupid and when inking a path forwards they'll focus on the beacon rather than checking their surroundings, giving you a chance to pop out and whack them. Camp Triggerfish is wonderful for pulling that little trick.

MouldyK

Nope, i'm done for the night.

Not getting that Stealth Helmet or 18K Aviators today.

There is only so many times I can give my all to my team before I realise 5 loses ina row is not my fault.

I singlehandedly got the point to get us to 2 points left...only for them to steamroll and get from 100 to 0 without contest...

DaBoss

I think the game tries to make it harder for you to rank up by decreasing the amount of points you gain and increases the amount of points you lose as you are getting closer to 100.

Robotguy

I think the game tries to make it harder for you to rank up by decreasing the amount of points you gain and increases the amount of points you lose as you are getting closer to 100.
Maybe this is why I can't get S rank.
I have no idea what's going on with the ranking system now TBH.

Is that what's going on? It was driving me crazy yesterday trying to figure out why everyone on my team was getting more but losing less points than me :/

On a lighter note I'm still finding new neat little details in the game. I just noticed that there's a specific animation that gets triggered when you bump into another inkling in the plaza along with a very subtle DoF effect when you pass the camera in a way that puts another inkling in your foreground. Why would they even spend the time programming these tiny details :lol

Finalow

If you mean a usb headset on pc, I would assume any headset recognized by windows would work.

I'm playing now if anyone wants to join. On discord also.
I just need to connect the headset to the smartphone, yes?

haven't tried yet but I guess it could work.

Azure J

Walleye Warehouse tower control is literally the best basic stage for tower control, how could you make that face Regiruler? Port is more of a tossup.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Best for tower control is either Camp Triggerfish or Walleye. TC on Camp Triggerfish redeems the map IMO.

Ryechu you want to go two man squad or wait for two more? Two more spots open in our squad.

Azure J

I guess? I frequently see a charger with a huge k/d in turf war but they lose because they're not really helping their team with the objective. They simply don't ink enough.

Hence bad chargers.

A good charger holds the point and allows their team to cover/go in and cover. If the charger is forced to ink (a task that while not hard is very time consuming), someone is not pulling their weight on the stage.

ryechu

Best for tower control is either Camp Triggerfish or Walleye. TC on Camp Triggerfish redeems the map IMO.

Ryechu you want to go two man squad or wait for two more? Two more spots open in our squad.

we can do two man. Its easier to coordinate in discord .

ryechu

I guess? I frequently see a charger with a huge k/d in turf war but they lose because they're not really helping their team with the objective. They simply don't ink enough.

you should watch ink or sink turf war vods. There is very little use for inking speed. Almost every match played out like a splat zones match.

Zing

Banned
I have not found this to be true at all. On my way to S, I always got the same 10/12 points. It is just that now we have a larger spread. I haven't been keeping track, but I sense that S rank is weighted more than other ranks, meaning if you have one on your team, there is a larger penalty than for other ranks.

Robotguy

you should watch ink or sink turf war vods. There is very little use for inking speed. Almost every match played out like a splat zones match.
Can confirm. Having Sendou on our team to hold down territory was a huge help. I barely had to fight.

Edit: Hell, one of the teams that's made it to the third round is playing a 2 charger squad.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why are the amiibo minigames not up on the store for 5 bucks or something? :l

I mean I want the figures too, but 70+ bucks? Fuck Amiibo

prateeko

Picked this game up. Tried it out with a friend in casual mode last night and today tried to go online and get into some matches. I've tested and obtained speeds of 130 Mbps down and 15-20 Mbps up (Comcast) and the wireless route is literally 10 inches away from my Wii U.

I was only able to play 3/6 matches due to "UNSTABLE CONNECTION" with two of the errors terminating the match as time ran out.

Please tell me this isn't how this game has been all along? I'd heard such good things about it and as it stands, it's unplayable online for me right now.

StAidan

Just lost a moray tower game because my teammates, an eliter, an aerospray, and a dynamo roller stayed glued to the sniper perch the entire game. Even after I wiped the team with my octobrush and made it halfway up the enemy side before getting splatted myself.

phanphare

Banned
Picked this game up. Tried it out with a friend in casual mode last night and today tried to go online and get into some matches. I've tested and obtained speeds of 130 Mbps down and 15-20 Mbps up (Comcast) and the wireless route is literally 10 inches away from my Wii U.

I was only able to play 3/6 matches due to "UNSTABLE CONNECTION" with two of the errors terminating the match as time ran out.

Please tell me this isn't how this game has been all along? I'd heard such good things about it and as it stands, it's unplayable online for me right now.

woah, those are some crazy comcast speeds

fwiw I've put in like 250 hours and I rarely have connection issues

this is on 20mbps down/5mbps up internet, I am wired though

Firstly get wired (Wii U wireless can be that bad) but "the connection is unstable" problem is something a few of us have experienced since the v2.0.0 update. There is no known fix. It is something the patch did and hopefully another patch will fix it.

But the fact someone who is on a 130/20 connection is getting it brings me hope that it isn't the fact I'm on 6/0.45 that is the problem (certainly wasn't pre-v2.0.0). Still 50:50 is a lot better than my luck.

I'm on wired too for all the people saying that would fix it. Only a problem with this game so doubt it is the adapter.

Top Bottom