• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

J@hranimo

Banned
So guys, what do you think of the Judd bonuses so far? Glad that more single player stuff is making the jump to use online?

More gear from single player the better! Plus it gives us a real incentive to get to level 50 besides manufactured satisfaction of seeing the number 50 next to your name with nothing to really show for it :p

I'm level 29 so I should be getting
that cool green jacket soon.
I don't know what's at 35 though.

Robotguy

So guys, what do you think of the Judd bonuses so far? Glad that more single player stuff is making the jump to use online?
Haven't picked up my level 25 or level 30 bonus yet. Forgot about them.

Not a huge fan of standard Jet Squelcher on Moray, but I'm getting better at it. Love it for Triggerfish though.

Nico_D

Thanks for the games though the beginning was a bit brutal. Then the game became remorseful and threw at least three player teams at us.

Kelp Dome is hard practically in any mode. It lures to take detours which end up getting you killed. The straightest way isn't necessarily the best either.

Azure J

wiiu_screenshot_tv_017grt3.jpg

As much as I hate the bucket, this look + bucket makes my Inkling look like she's starring in a Jackie Chan-esque comic Kung Fu movie and it's so awesome. :lol

Just one of the random things I enjoyed from tonight's stream as I messed around.

GGs to everyone I played with! G'nite! :)

God that was brutal, Tingly. They had 11%!
Didn't see this earlier, but yeah we pushed them all the way back to spawn. I think they had a bunch of short range weapons too, so it would be hard for them to recover once they were cornered. Such is walleye :O

I tried to join your game after I changes my equips, but I kept getting connection errors :(

Also I had to change to something with inkzooka specifically to fight you. My teammates for whatever reason couldn't get you out of the perch and just kept dying to you T_T but I never got inkzooka that often anyway.

@timetokill: We haven't played together in awhile I think, it was good to see you again!

jariw

While that's true, my Wii U is literally 6-8 inches away from my wireless route at the further points. It's never had issues while playing SSBM online, downloading items, MK8 online, etc and given my speeds of 120-130/10-15 I'm not sure if it's an issue on my end. I could purchase a USB to ethernet adapter but spending the money exclusively for this game when it's an issue that could be patched would be wasteful, which is why I'd love to get to the bottom of it first.

This should not be patched IMO. The update has resulted in much less amount of players with lag in the matches, which I appreciate. (I wouldn't count MK8 as a game with 100% accurate online, since many player positions in the race are just guesses from the game.)

Wired is full duplex, which WiFi isn't. For online P2P with lots of players, that's as important as connection speed.

This should not be patched IMO. The update has resulted in much less amount of players with lag in the matches, which I appreciate. (I wouldn't count MK8 as a game with 100% accurate online, since many player positions in the race are just guesses from the game.)

Wired is full duplex, which WiFi isn't. For online P2P with lots of players, that's as important as connection speed.
Thanks mate I feel loved here being stuck with an unplayable game thanks to the patch. I'm using wired and have the exact same problem prateeko is having. In other words we can conclude it isn't the wireless and it isn't the speed (I'm on 6/0.45 and did not have problems prior so if they have problems with 100/15).

But if you get to pretend you enjoy less lag everything is okay. Fuck those other guys.

It's not a port issue. Everything else on Nintendo's network works fine (including Smash and MK8, with verified interactions with friends across the country). If interference were to be an issue this isn't the only game it should show up with unless Nintendo has issues with their coding, which I suspect is more likely the problem.
Going by the specifics of your situation (great internet, located in the US, being able to get *some* matches in, etc.) I feel that it's very likely you have an issue that's been around since launch and has little sign of being fixed:

Splatoon just flats-out hates some people's WiFi for some reason. And yes, I suppose it's a coding thing.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to fix that this patch but accidentally broke everything instead.

GGs, Quartz, Emil, Kasumi, and Vert. Fun stuff. I lol'd at that double kill, Quartz, when I got pincered by you and the Roller. Great ending on that last one, even if there was a dc midway through.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh, so some of the new outfits are from the Famitsu suggestions. They should open up an avenue for those outside of Japan to submit outfit ideas. If Smash can have a ballot it should be fairly straightforward to setup one for Splatoon on their website.

Good games! Goodnight!

Oh yeah, fun stuff. I'm probably gonna set up a Charger practice room in about 12-15 hours if you want to join up. The only one who probably doesn't need it is Ryechu, since scrolling snapshots are his thing. =P Bombs are mine, Azure has been developing increased accuracy recently, Sendou is a freaking sentry or something, Violet has lag ( and a great shot. Not hating on you, Violet), Heng is some strange mixture of me, Violet, and his own stealthy and aggressive play. Where do you fit in the ChargerGAF quilt? =P

Oh yeah, fun stuff. I'm probably gonna set up a Charger practice room in about 12-15 hours if you want to join up. The only one who probably doesn't need it is Ryechu, since scrolling snapshots are his thing. =P Bombs are mine, Azure has been developing increased accuracy recently, Sendou is a freaking sentry or something, Violet has lag ( and a great shot. Not hating on you, Violet), Heng is some strange mixture of me, Violet, and his own stealthy and aggressive play. Where do you fit in the ChargerGAF quilt? =P

I have no idea. I'll watch for the room though; I should be able to join tomorrow. I want better twitch shots.

did nintendo make changes to how online connection works in the august update?
I've been playing since launch without any problems but now it just doesn't seem to work for me, all my other games are still fine and my internet is good to go but i keep getting disconnected.
Any help would be great, thanks.

Burst Bomb -> Bucket combo. Slightly faster than 2x bucket combo. Use cover, abuse the lobbing abilities of the bucket, etc.

Maybe it's because it's 3am here, but 2x bucket combo?
Do you mean it's faster to throw a burst bomb then a bucket swipe instead of two bucket swipes?

Maybe it's because it's 3am here, but 2x bucket combo?
Do you mean it's faster to throw a burst bomb then a bucket swipe instead of two bucket swipes?

Yes it is, although it's recommended to have some kind of damage up to make sure that combo kills against anyone packing defence up. In fact in close range with the bucket it is actually better to just use burst bombs than a slosh because you can chuck one and almost immediately dive back into the ink, giving you mobility you wouldn't otherwise have.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
did nintendo make changes to how online connection works in the august update?
I've been playing since launch without any problems but now it just doesn't seem to work for me, all my other games are still fine and my internet is good to go but i keep getting disconnected.
Any help would be great, thanks.

Other people have been reporting problems so something must have happened. I just seem to have problems from 11pm onwards so I guess that's just the heavy traffic when America gets on.

Has anyone tried tweeting the official Splatoon account about it? Sure it's Japanese but if enough people tweet about it I'm sure someone will pick up on it.

Other people have been reporting problems so something must have happened. I just seem to have problems from 11pm onwards so I guess that's just the heavy traffic when America gets on.

Has anyone tried tweeting the official Splatoon account about it? Sure it's Japanese but if enough people tweet about it I'm sure someone will pick up on it.

rats, huge shame as i was really enjoying this game but it's unplayable for me now, i even tried a wired connection but even that doesn't seem to help me.
I get error codes all the time and get kicked out of matches after 30 seconds losing all my rank points.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
rats, huge shame as i was really enjoying this game but it's unplayable for me now, i even tried a wired connection but even that doesn't seem to help me.
I get error codes all the time and get kicked out of matches after 30 seconds losing all my rank points.

If you read Starwolf_UK's posts in this thread you'll see he is suffering from that very thing, also with a wired connection. Hope it gets fixed soon. Would be a shame that people couldn't play the game through no fault of their own.

nom

Part 4 is about "Superjumping and Other Bad Ideas".

[snip]

I kind of agree with his stance but am not sure if that's too narrow a viewpoint about it. I've had instances where a base infiltration is stymied by suddenly having to babysit a superjump... But on the other hand, if the jumper can quickly get away from you and setup a flank, then it is obviously worth it. Super-jumping seems more like a high variance play than anything.

My biggest reason for using it is because about 50% of the time the person I'm jumping to has just been splatted so the enemy has moved on giving me a surprise attack. Also you get a good overview of the enemy locations as you're flying and can start thinking about best routes to to go when landing.

But I could see it not working as well in more competitive/tournament games.

EDIT: whoops, forgot to mention this is using Stealth Jump

Man so I'm not proud of it but I've started quitting games where your down a player and being spawn camped and it's gotten rid of most my frustrations with this game outside of lag and disconnects

Naar

so some here are using discord to chat in splatoon and for the life of me i cannot figure out how to logoff from the website on PC

anyone can help?

Totakeke

I know this doesn't really apply to your post, but when I was told you were practicing Chargers for the tournament, an old idea popped back into my head where we use private rooms to practice Charger in a 4v1. They wouldn't shoot at you, but instead would act like mobile test range dummies. This way, you could practice without getting interrupted time and time again, slowing down good habit growth and understanding the rhythm of charging and releasing accurately. This is more of an introductory or brush up room, and there could be different "levels" of practice.

Yeah that's a pretty good idea, though the main issue for me during this round is mainly the charger vs. charger e-liter battle and it was 50/50 that I would win or the other guy would win. Didn't help that I mostly chose side perches that left me exposed to being double teamed up, often by their bucket as well. I think choosing the side perches is still the correct choice even though it left me more vulnerable, because they had a pretty good dynamo and I wanted to split their attention so we could flank them easier.

69wpm

Burst Bomb -> Bucket combo. Slightly faster than 2x bucket combo. Use cover, abuse the lobbing abilities of the bucket, etc.

Yeah, I use this one, too. Had this theory yesterday and tested it out. It's a bit faster than the 2x bucket. But in battle it's not as easy as it seems in the test area. Need to try it more often.

What the fuck ? Just had two "connection problem" disconnects in a row. Hasn't happend since the early days

Happened to me yesterday, too. Never before the update.

Top Bottom