• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

You're sounding like a detriment to your team right now TBH.

"It is sad to see that barely anyone seems to play Turf Wars as it is intended."
What? This is a shooter, you can splat people for a reason.
Lol
|OT5| Don't let me catch you slipping in pubs

lol, who says that? just take the L and try again next time
New thread title right here
Yea man that banner for the winner must be serious business lol

Geg

Yeah like while "Victory is determined by the amount of turf you have covered" was the big pitch we were given, the very first trailer still showed plenty of inklings splatting each other. Killing other players in order to stall them and prevent them from inking your turf is very obviously an intended part of the game.

Like what do these people think specials like the inkzooka, killer wail, and echolocator are for?

Here's a gem

Syrek
Grandmaster of Splating
Premium
I wouldn't say it's turned into Call of Duty. Instead, many players have adopted Call of Duty like play styles, which is truly unfortunate. From focusing more on kills rather than inking the ground or completing an objective, to using cheap tactics to win, it's becoming rather sad to see certain players turn this unique shooter into something it's clearly not meant to be. Hopefully, said players will be punished more and more as the game continues to grow and evolve, rewarding players who focus on the objective and splating oppon

Yeah like while "Victory is determined by the amount of turf you have covered" was the big pitch we were given, the very first trailer still showed plenty of inklings splatting each other. Killing other players in order to stall them and prevent them from inking your turf is very obviously an intended part of the game.

Like what do these people think specials like the inkzooka, killer wail, and echolocator are for?
I think their objection is mostly for players that only rush to go kill enemies and don't care about inking the rest of the map. I think that's an okay playstyle to have, but it's sometimes really annoying when taken to its extreme, particularly if no gains that are strong enough are shown in return.

I think atr0cious pointed it out in a stream awhile back too; on Moray Towers, everyone's falling over themselves to reach the middle of the map and basically splatting each other over and over there. The ramps leading down to the middle get neglected, and it's actually pretty common that aggressive teams would lose just because they forgot to ink part of their ramps. It's really painful and I don't like doing this with the Custom Jet Squelcher, but usually when I come back and I see that the ramps aren't covered, I'm torn between getting down there and supporting with what's clearly a fighting centric weapon, or spending time slowly inking the ramps.

Ansatz

So you think with people levelling up and becoming pro they would focus more on getting turf right?

So we're talking about turf wars right?

Nope. They still want to hunt people down and kill them. It's gotten very hard to get points because of this. Everyone just wants to be a hero and get splatted. I mean c'mon. I know aggressive play helps to win,

Aggressively rushing to mid at the start of a match to prevent the other team from getting past this point is cruical, yes. If you are first in position you gain a pretty big advantage in the upcoming duels, from there clean the other team, and then push forwards to lock down choke points on their side of the map. Don't move too close to the enemy base, let them waste time traveling back to mid before you splat them right back. Do this for 3 mins and you're golden. That's how I won my splatfest matches, it was very easy.

but try being more strategic.

wut

phanphare

Banned
the funny thing about all that complaining is that if those "wrong" strategies didn't work then the people complaining wouldn't be complaining because they'd be winning

also splatting someone makes them explode in your color ink so going for splats is still focusing on ink coverage. not only that, you prevent them from laying down ink. so not only do you get more of your own color ink down you prevent the other player from laying down ink for a little bit.

strange thread. very strange thread.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Turf Wars either involves me building special as quickly as I can out of the gate, or rushing toward middle. You'll always have the chance to touch up the area around your spawn later. Even if you never die, you can jump back to spawn near the end of the fight and paint. Controlling the middle of most maps is going to be super helpful.

Well, I don't mind players focussing on kills, but at the same time they have to be aware that the ground covered in ink is what will get you the win (in turf wars). Like, we all know an Aerospray is an easy ticket to the top score because it covers ground so well, but then some players use that weapon to play offensively. So while they are running towards the enemies, we have huge areas left uncovered that other players with slower weapons have to fill in. That is my biggest frustration sometimes.

I'm definitely not saying they should focus exclusively on covering ground, like for the initial rollout it really helps to push the others back. But then, don't neglect the areas you left later on and stuff. Yah.

Robotguy

I mean, it's called Turf Wars for a reason.

You have to paint turf, but you also have to hold that turf and capture additional turf from the opponents, which requires fighting.

Turf Wars either involves me building special as quickly as I can out of the gate, or rushing toward middle. You'll always have the chance to touch up the area around your spawn later. Even if you never die, you can jump back to spawn near the end of the fight and paint. Controlling the middle of most maps is going to be super helpful.
Maybe this is just a Moray Towers specific problem, but overly aggressive teams are likely to lose there if they neglect inking their ramps, and neglecting to ink ramps is kind of common.

If the aggressive team was strong enough to push all the way up the enemy ramps so that they don't need to ink their ramps? Then fine. I don't think I've seen games pan out that way though.

Grakl

You're sounding like a detriment to your team right now TBH.

?

There are a couple of Splatoon shirts up for sale on Yetee if anyone's interested.
http://theyetee.com/

The little inkling one is hella creepy

Maybe this is just a Moray Towers specific problem, but overly aggressive teams are likely to lose there if they neglect inking their ramps, and neglecting to ink ramps is kind of common.

If the aggressive team was strong enough to push all the way up the enemy ramps so that they don't need to ink their ramps? Then fine. I don't think I've seen games pan out that way though.

Aggressive in pushing and controlling middle =/= aggressive and pushing toward enemy spawn

?

The little inkling one is hella creepy

Aggressive in pushing and controlling middle =/= aggressive and pushing toward enemy spawn
Yeah and with the exception of some folks that are obtuse enough to not want kills to matter at all, I think the latter case is what they are complaining about. Or at least I hope that's what they mean by players that go exclusively for kills or k/d.

Edit: do you think it's possible for players to not be inking ground enough?

SM239

I think their objection is mostly for players that only rush to go kill enemies and don't care about inking the rest of the map. I think that's an okay playstyle to have, but it's sometimes really annoying when taken to its extreme, particularly if no gains that are strong enough are shown in return.

I think atr0cious pointed it out in a stream awhile back too; on Moray Towers, everyone's falling over themselves to reach the middle of the map and basically splatting each other over and over there. The ramps leading down to the middle get neglected, and it's actually pretty common that aggressive teams would lose just because they forgot to ink part of their ramps. It's really painful and I don't like doing this with the Custom Jet Squelcher, but usually when I come back and I see that the ramps aren't covered, I'm torn between getting down there and supporting with what's clearly a fighting centric weapon, or spending time slowly inking the ramps.

I do find this to be more on an issue on Towers than any other map. I've been trying to make a habit of going down the ramp at the start instead of making a dash for the middle. This allows me to fire off a few specials and have one saved up for when I finally make it down to the middle. This also means that my team can keep rushing the middle to attack/defend mid-late match instead of taking the long winding route down while trying to ink the ground during crunch time.

Grakl

Towers is a cool map but it isn't actually interesting to play on for the most part. I feel like nothing every actually happens on it

I don't like towers. The spawn is so far from the center as well as not being open. It takes forever to get there and rarely is it safe to squid jump. So it's like do I rush back to the center to help my team or do I take care of the opponent coming up our ramps?

I don't mind if a map is far from the center (like Arowana), but the initial turf by the spawn should at least be more open.

Robotguy

Alright, we have discussed things with the Ink or Sink tournament organizers and they have sided in our favor. Team Name Subject To Change will be moving onto the third round.

Thanks to the head TO RoyLee for handling everything so nicely.

Grakl

Alright, we have discussed things with the Ink or Sink tournament organizers and they have sided in our favor. Team Name Subject To Change will be moving onto the third round.

Tournament?

I'm def not tuned into what yall are doing lately lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh lmao, is there a link to this?

Here it is. They make a few other post in the thread as well, trying to support their claim.

So play smarter? Teams with the Aerospray win, almost to a fault. The range is not an issue when almost everyone runs blindly around corners to chase you, right into your mine. There is no compare in Turf War. I've spent a lot if time with pretty much every weapon in the game, and unless you're making a full time job of support (with the Beacon or a Charger), you are almost always a detriment to the team if you're not using an Aerospray.

Robotguy

Oh lmao, is there a link to this?
It starts here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172867910&postcount=202

Tournament?

To add to Crisium's post team NTSC is Africanus, BlakStatus, Burnburn, Crisium, Gsnap, Robotguy, Totakeke, Sendou. Captained by Burnburn. We signed up at the last minute (last team before the cutoff) and made it into the third round with an intense set yesterday.

Tournament?

Short version:

We're in Squidboards Ink or Swim tournament. This round was best of 5. Robotguy had a dc in the first game. We still ended up winning 3 games. There was a lot of drama where they wanted us to do the round over, accused us of cheating, told us "don't let me catch ya'll slipping in pubs", etc.

TO just ruled in our favor saying that we win the round.

Video here:

Round 2 of Ink or Swim Tournament

That's great to hear :) can't believe the other team wanted more matches when you guys already won the set with normal games.

I do find this to be more on an issue on Towers than any other map. I've been trying to make a habit of going down the ramp at the start instead of making a dash for the middle. This allows me to fire off a few specials and have one saved up for when I finally make it down to the middle. This also means that my team can keep rushing the middle to attack/defend mid-late match instead of taking the long winding route down while trying to ink the ground during crunch time.
Yeah, I think it's because the ramps feel so out of the way relative to getting to mid, which is admittedly the most important part of the map. I get this tunnel vision on saltspray rig sometimes, where I charge and die for the mid and north areas as much as possible but don't get any of the easier lower areas that can give leverage for prying out the other team.

Grakl

Here it is. They make a few other post in the thread as well, trying to support their claim.

holy shit, wow

It starts here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172867910&postcount=202

To add to Crisium's post team NTSC is Africanus, BlakStatus, Burnburn, Crisium, Gsnap, Robotguy, Totakeke, Sendou. Captained by Burnburn. We signed up at the last minute (last team before the cutoff) and made it into the third round with an intense set yesterday.

Short version:

We're in Squidboards Ink or Swim tournament. This round was best of 5. Robotguy had a dc in the first game. We still ended up winning 3 games. There was a lot of drama where they wanted us to do the round over, accused us of cheating, told us "don't let me catch ya'll slipping in pubs", etc.

TO just ruled in our favor saying that we win the round.

Video here:

Round 2 of Ink or Swim Tournament

Thanks, and grats on the wins. Maybe I'll make a team for another tournament at some point or something. Yall better win

Geg

Oh lmao I thought he actually meant "I'll kick your ass in a bar fight" too

Kids these days and their competitive online multiplayer video game lingo

Yeah I never rush to the middle and always spend some time painting ramps but I usually drop down a level first rather than immediately go right down the first ramp. I'll usually only cover that if I respawn and see no one else has done it

Nico_D

So while they are running towards the enemies, we have huge areas left uncovered that other players with slower weapons have to fill in. That is my biggest frustration sometimes..

As you know, I'm playing around with Splatterscope in Turf Wars. More often than not it's me who's painting behind when everybody else is rushing who-knows-where. That is just ridiculous. And it's not only once or twice I've had the best score in the results. With a charger.

SM239

Yeah, I think it's because the ramps feel so out of the way relative to getting to mid, which is admittedly the most important part of the map. I get this tunnel vision on saltspray rig sometimes, where I charge and die for the mid and north areas as much as possible but don't get any of the easier lower areas that can give leverage for prying out the other team.

One thing that works surprisingly well on Towers is inkstriking the parts of the map that are far out of the way. It's a bit funny how many people will ignore your inkstrike cause they don't feel like going out of the way to clean it up or maybe they think that one of their teammates will clean it up. Even if they do go to clean it up that's one less person at the choke point to prevent your team from pushing up.

Robotguy

Pub is short for public (game)

just like pug = pick up game
So, he's going to fight us on the internet.... again?
And he'll beat us and "expose us as frauds"?
And then we'll be embarrassed on the internet?
Is that the idea?

Pubs means public matches.

Oh already mentioned. You guys must be young!
I'm not, but this is my first foray into online/competitive gaming, so I dunno this lingo.

WALKMAN04

One thing that works surprisingly well on Towers is inkstriking the parts of the map that are far out of the way. It's a bit funny how many people will ignore your inkstrike cause they don't feel like going out of the way to clean it up or maybe they think that one of their teammates will clean it up. Even if they do go to clean it up that's one less person at the choke point to prevent your team from pushing up.
Yeah it's the easiest map to get away with an inkstrike in the enemy base that can last the entire game because nobody looks to the right of spawn.

Also I thought it was pretty clear what "don't let me catch you slipping in pubs" meant lol, but I like your he is packing an Aerospray in real life explanation Padwarrior

PadWarrior doesn't know what "pub" means. What a casual.
Kappa
Lol
Can't keep up with the youngins
Keepo
So, he's going to fight us on the internet.... again?
And he'll beat us and "expose us as frauds"?
And then we'll be embarrassed on the internet?
Is that the idea?

I'm not, but this is my first foray into online/competitive gaming, so I dunno this lingo.
In my 30s and never heard those terms before.

Top Bottom