• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Geg

I honestly can't remember the last time I disconnected from the middle of a game. My connection has been great recently for some reason

Yeah that's a pretty good idea, though the main issue for me during this round is mainly the charger vs. charger e-liter battle and it was 50/50 that I would win or the other guy would win. Didn't help that I mostly chose side perches that left me exposed to being double teamed up, often by their bucket as well. I think choosing the side perches is still the correct choice even though it left me more vulnerable, because they had a pretty good dynamo and I wanted to split their attention so we could flank them easier.

That's where this practice room comes in. It can be used as a warm up, twitch shot practice, practice under pressure, or even sniper sparring. It could also be good for learning how to check the map for any potential sneak attacks. Unfortunately for Chargers, this is the most difficult thing for them to do just because of the way the class works. Do you take your attention from the screen and let someone through on accident or do you risk an ambush from behind?

Is there a VOD I can look through of yesterday? I might be able to form a plan based around what I see.

Zing

Banned
My biggest reason for using it is because about 50% of the time the person I'm jumping to has just been splatted so the enemy has moved on giving me a surprise attack. Also you get a good overview of the enemy locations as you're flying and can start thinking about best routes to to go when landing.

But I could see it not working as well in more competitive/tournament games.

EDIT: whoops, forgot to mention this is using Stealth Jump

Yes, I love the bird's eye view I get as I land. You just have to be smart about it and only jump to safe teammates who aren't on the front line. I have also been trying stealth jump again and it works as you say. The stealth plus the delay makes this safe almost every time.

I do agree that for the average player, advising them to never super jump is accurate. They just shouldn't do it, ever.

I wonder how that guy feels about it now with the addition of tower control.

Totakeke

That's where this practice room comes in. It can be used as a warm up, twitch shot practice, practice under pressure, or even sniper sparring. It could also be good for learning how to check the map for any potential sneak attacks. Unfortunately for Chargers, this is the most difficult thing for them to do just because of the way the class works. Do you take your attention from the screen and let someone through on accident or do you risk an ambush from behind?

Is there a VOD I can look through of yesterday? I might be able to form a plan based around what I see.

You might have to ask BlakStatus or Robotguy for the VOD. I don't think any of them had a good view of my action because I was fighting away from them most of the time, except for on Saltspray Rig.

I practiced a good amount with Zing, Blak, and others in squad the day before, I was doing pretty fine on skatepark but I didn't meet a charger that could 50/50 me on skatepark. So in that sense I already had good target practice but didn't have good practice against opponent chargers. It's mostly frontal charger vs charger stuff, sometimes with the bucket coming right under my perch which I have no solution for other than retreating.

You might have to ask BlakStatus or Robotguy for the VOD. I don't think any of them had a good view of my action because I was fighting away from them most of the time, except for on Saltspray Rig.

I practiced a good amount with Zing, Blak, and others in squad the day before, I was doing pretty fine on skatepark but I didn't meet a charger that could 50/50 me on skatepark. So in that sense I already had good target practice but didn't have good practice against opponent chargers. It's mostly frontal charger vs charger stuff, sometimes with the bucket coming right under my perch which I have no solution for other than retreating.

Let's ignore the bucket for now. With the Charger vs Charger, are you dueling from the perches or are you guys more mobile? It sounds like perches almost 100% of the time. This is a harder situation to deal with in my experience, and it relies heavily on your ability to aim with the Charger. The way you approach the match also depends on the E-Liter you're taking into the match. Which one are you using?

There's a part of me that feels that there should be one guy patrolling around you and looking for those problematic enemies that can dislodge you. The route your ally takes doesn't have to be too close too you in the first place. It can just be a route that intersects with your location.

A risky strategy I just came up with is to have an ally super jump to you, forcing a marker that might draw the attention of the opposing E-Liter. He'll want to charge and try to snipe your ally for an easy kill, but if you're far enough, you can countersnipe him before then because he'll have left himself exposed. Ideally, this would be the ally in charge of patrolling the area of the map around you.

For practice against other Chargers, ChargerGAF can lend its hand to help you with dealing against opposing Chargers. The problem is that most of us like a more Squiffer style of gameplay, so we're always on the ground moving and sniping from unsafe places.

DaBoss

No prob.

I never understood the appeal of cold blooded though since I invite as may inklings as possible to come and taste my sweet blaster >:3
I think you mean you like to invite as many inklings as possible to come and taste your terrible Haunt. Absolutely disgusting.

Totakeke

Let's ignore the bucket for now. With the Charger vs Charger, are you dueling from the perches or are you guys more mobile? It sounds like perches almost 100% of the time. This is a harder situation to deal with in my experience, and it relies heavily on your ability to aim with the Charger. The way you approach the match also depends on the E-Liter you're taking into the match. Which one are you using?

There's a part of me that feels that there should be one guy patrolling around you and looking for those problematic enemies that can dislodge you. The route your ally takes doesn't have to be too close too you in the first place. It can just be a route that intersects with your location.

A risky strategy I just came up with is to have an ally super jump to you, forcing a marker that might draw the attention of the opposing E-Liter. He'll want to charge and try to snipe your ally for an easy kill, but if you're far enough, you can countersnipe him before then because he'll have left himself exposed. Ideally, this would be the ally in charge of patrolling the area of the map around you.

For practice against other Chargers, ChargerGAF can lend its hand to help you with dealing against opposing Chargers. The problem is that most of us like a more Squiffer style of gameplay, so we're always on the ground moving and sniping from unsafe places.

I was using the E-Liter 3K scope, switching down to the splatterscope may have been a better idea but it didn't occur to me during the round. I typically perch my chargers and it was pretty much perch vs perch, though another reason going around on the ground was a bad idea due to their dynamo in my opinion. We didn't define a strategy but I think we just mostly ended up with 3-1 split on most maps. I did countersnipe him on a few occasions that's why the side perch was useful because he had to look the other way occasionally.

We also didn't expect them to have a good charger based on their first round footage.

Geg

Posting this for future reference, would have been useful last night

tumblr_nsu3lzBcZE1ryvl86o1_540.jpg

I think you mean you like to invite as many inklings as possible to come and taste your terrible Haunt. Absolutely disgusting.

LOL, I'm just patiently waiting for Nintendo to release that Liam Neeson inkling costume.

"I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill splat you" >:D

But on the real when we're in Squid Squads I will sacrifice myself if there's an annoying brush/roller picking off the team. It's so fun watching them trying frantically to hide afterwards on the kill cam :lol

DaBoss

Well I managed to do it.
qVEZnb5.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkWhiKYuQ
LOL, I'm just patiently waiting for Nintendo to release that Liam Neeson inkling costume.

"I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill splat you" >:D

But on the real when we're in Squid Squads I will sacrifice myself if there's an annoying brush/roller picking off the team. It's so fun watching them trying frantically to hide afterwards on the kill cam :lol
I don't even want my enemies to suffer Haunt.

Geg

Congrats daboss!

Also wow are you legit level 35 already too or did you get hit with one of the glitches that levels you up a bunch after one win?

DaBoss

Congrats daboss!

Also wow are you legit level 35 already too or did you get hit with one of the glitches that levels you up a bunch after one win?
Thanks.

I did actually get hit by the glitch once, but it only took me up by 4 levels.

I've barely done any private battles and did nearly no turf war matches and no squad battles at all. All Ranked pretty much.

While that's true, my Wii U is literally 6-8 inches away from my wireless route at the further points. It's never had issues while playing SSBM online, downloading items, MK8 online, etc and given my speeds of 120-130/10-15 I'm not sure if it's an issue on my end. I could purchase a USB to ethernet adapter but spending the money exclusively for this game when it's an issue that could be patched would be wasteful, which is why I'd love to get to the bottom of it first.
You're confusing signal strength (which is relative to distance) with signal quality (SNR, dropped packets etc.)

2.4 GHz sources tend to cause interference. It could be a microwave oven, a cordless phone, another WiFi AP, a baby monitor etc.

Sigh, I was having so much fun in B+ rank, everyone was using wildly different weapons. Now I'm in A- rank all I'm running into is Dynamos, Krak-Ons and E-Litres. It's frustrating to try and combat and boring as hell too.

ryechu

Sigh, I was having so much fun in B+ rank, everyone was using wildly different weapons. Now I'm in A- rank all I'm running into is Dynamos, Krak-Ons and E-Litres. It's frustrating to try and combat and boring as hell too.
Believe me when I say anything is viable in a. Wreck their faces with a squiffer.

Robotguy

I'll try to get my recording of the full set up tonight, but it probably won't be for at least 12 hours or so. Totakeke is very rarely in my field of view though, so it's probably not very useful for sniping tips.

This should not be patched IMO. The update has resulted in much less amount of players with lag in the matches, which I appreciate. (I wouldn't count MK8 as a game with 100% accurate online, since many player positions in the race are just guesses from the game.)

Wired is full duplex, which WiFi isn't. For online P2P with lots of players, that's as important as connection speed.
Fair enough. I guess it's like the white plug of doom in ND games (Uncharted/TLOU).

I've never experienced either. My connection is 38 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up and everything is wired.

0.45 Mbps is way too slow for many p2p online games, although I understand that some people are stuck in ADSL and there's not much they can do about it.

Btw, can someone post that spreadsheet which explains the chances of getting advantageous rerolls?

Also, how do you get gear that does not appear in the stores? I guess ordering it from Spyke is the only way?

Top Bottom