• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Yeah I never rush to the middle and always spend some time painting ramps but I usually drop down a level first rather than immediately go right down the first ramp. I'll usually only cover that if I respawn and see no one else has done it
I noticed that a lot of players have been sneaking around the edge of the map to ink their way up the wall at the first landing so I've been cutting over to the area above just in case, and it's a great point to jump down into the center anyway.
One thing that works surprisingly well on Towers is inkstriking the parts of the map that are far out of the way. It's a bit funny how many people will ignore your inkstrike cause they don't feel like going out of the way to clean it up or maybe they think that one of their teammates will clean it up. Even if they do go to clean it up that's one less person at the choke point to prevent your team from pushing up.
I've been aiming a lot of instrikes at the big landing right below the spawn area. It gets the best coverage and If you get lucky with your timing you'll catch folks jumping down after they respawn :D

phanphare

Banned
So, he's going to fight us on the internet.... again?
And he'll beat us and "expose us as frauds"?
And then we'll be embarrassed on the internet?
Is that the idea?

I'm not, but this is my first foray into online/competitive gaming, so I dunno this lingo.

I think he means that if he sees yall in a public tournament he's going to fight you irl

SM239

I noticed that a lot of players have been sneaking around the edge of the map to ink their way up the wall at the first landing so I've been cutting over to the area above just in case, and it's a great point to jump down into the center anyway.

I've been aiming a lot of instrikes at the big landing right below the spawn area. It gets the best coverage and If you get lucky with your timing you'll catch folks jumping down after they respawn :D

Below the 2nd jump after the enemy spawn (the area where snipers usually sit) stand with your back to the middle and throw a splash wall to where the enemy will land. You'll be surprised how many players will keep jumping down into or behind your wall making for easy kills. Did this during splatfest with the Splatling and it was a massacre. Of course this doesn't work as well against higher level players but it can be fun seeing how many lemmings will keep falling into your trap. lol

J@hranimo

Banned
Flounder Heights on Friday. Calling it. /randompost

More so on topic: Moray Towers is an interesting map. Instead of rushing all the way to the middle like when it first came out I jump down one level and then ink the rest of the ramp leading to the sniper perch and I usually have my special ready. It has been really effective with the slosher and calling an inkstrike. You gotta have a good balance of offense and defense and being mindful of your ramps because of random inkstrikes the opponent may call.

Probably depends on what you've been playing, I've heard it since back when I played Everquest when I was like 8 lol
True madden and ncaa were my first online experience.
Man what is the lingo going to be like once my kids are older? I gotta keep up lol

As you know, I'm playing around with Splatterscope in Turf Wars. More often than not it's me who's painting behind when everybody else is rushing who-knows-where. That is just ridiculous. And it's not only once or twice I've had the best score in the results. With a charger.

I noticed, I was like .. dang he's putting in the work.

Below the 2nd jump after the enemy spawn (the area where snipers usually sit) stand with your back to the middle and throw a splash wall to where the enemy will land. You'll be surprised how many players will keep jumping down into or behind your wall making for easy kills. Did this during splatfest with the Splatling and it was a massacre. Of course this doesn't work as well against higher level players but it can be fun seeing how many lemmings will keep falling into your trap. lol
Alright, what was the highest kill count you caught doing that? lol

SM239

Alright, what was the highest kill count you caught doing that? lol

The highest was an even 20. It could have been higher but my team would push up and prevent them from even taking that jump or they would just give up and sit in spawn. lol

Average would be in the 10-15 range though.

The highest was an even 20. It could have been higher but my team would push up and prevent them from even taking that jump or they would just give up and sit in spawn. lol
...I'm dying.

I personally learned to try to look down before I leap after I got sniped in mid-air a few times. Haha.

LOL, that's great. I wonder if the Splashwall is difficult to see from above? Which reminds me did they change the size of the wall in the last update or does the size change based on weapon? I started using heavy splatling and the damn thing looks huge to me now but maybe it's my imagination.

Robotguy

that overtime win on blackbelly skatepark.....damn
I was basically not a functional human being after that match. The hype was too real.

It was great finishing the match and then reading the reactions on Twitch to the ending since they were 30 seconds behind. Someone was all like "They're going to need a monster OT" and I'm just thinking, "dude you don't even know".

The comeback on Urchin was great too.

LOL, that's great. I wonder if the Splashwall is difficult to see from above? Which reminds me did they change the size of the wall in the last update or does the size change based on weapon? I started using heavy splatling and the damn thing looks huge to me now but maybe it's my imagination.

I think they did, cause it covers much better than before.

that overtime win on blackbelly skatepark.....damn

I was so happy with that win. That was my worst game of the night. So the fact that we were able to capture the win in OT was unbelievable. I was hands down the detriment in that one lol. It also made me play better in the later matches because I didn't want to let GAF down.

Grakl

I think they did, cause it covers much better than before.
I'm also pretty sure they stealth buffed it a while ago too. I used to be able to take it out with one charged shot from Splatterscope, but now it seems more like 3? Haven't tested in a while

Azure J

Here's a gem

Syrek
Grandmaster of Splating
Premium
I wouldn't say it's turned into Call of Duty. Instead, many players have adopted Call of Duty like play styles, which is truly unfortunate. From focusing more on kills rather than inking the ground or completing an objective, to using cheap tactics to win, it's becoming rather sad to see certain players turn this unique shooter into something it's clearly not meant to be. Hopefully, said players will be punished more and more as the game continues to grow and evolve, rewarding players who focus on the objective and splating oppon

Going through this thread is a migraine trap. Seriously.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of arguments in that thread sound FAR too similar to people's arguments [including the feigned slights against playstyles that can be found in other games in the genre, developer intent and objectives] regarding the differences in Smash pre & post Melee which allows me to finally conclude that no one wants more "casual" gaming, they just want to win without the actual competition part of things (re: others thinking about more than one way to win/optimizing themselves with possibilities).

I was basically not a functional human being after that match. The hype was too real.

It was great finishing the match and then reading the reactions on Twitch to the ending since they were 30 seconds behind. Someone was all like "They're going to need a monster OT" and I'm just thinking, "dude you don't even know".

The comeback on skatepark was great too.

I wish if hosting Blak's stream also meant that I could do audio commentary on a portion of the video or that my chat's reactions could be saved on my videos. Holy shit that overtime was just essence of Guile Theme.

Grakl

Unsurprisingly, a lot of arguments in that thread sound FAR too similar to people's arguments [including the feigned slights against playstyles that can be found in other games in the genre, developer intent and objectives] regarding the differences in Smash pre & post Melee which allows me to finally conclude that no one wants more "casual" gaming, they just want to win without the actual competition part of things (re: others thinking about more than one way to win/optimizing themselves with possibilities).
Also: "Nintendo/Sakurai intended X to be played like X, so that's the right way to do it"

Always a fuckin obnoxious comment

phanphare

Banned

The comeback on skatepark was great too.

yeah I could definitely feel the hype even just from the replay. you guys gained control with like 3 seconds left in the match to send it into overtime, overtime starts and yall lose control for like 5-8 seconds (during which I'm sitting here like, "wait I thought they won this match?"), then gain it back for the win. crazy.

I was so happy with that win. That was my worst game of the night. So the fact that we were able to capture the win in OT was unbelievable. I was hands down the detriment in that one lol. It also made me play better in the later matches because I didn't want to let GAF down.

I don't know, you had a couple of bad splats but for the most part I thought you did well. with the splattershot jr I felt you played your part well. I think you might have just gotten a little too confrontational sometimes in chasing people down. your bomb game was on point though, I felt, and with a short range, rapid fire weapon I felt you did a good job of keeping strategic parts of the map in your color ink.

Pretty much.

If the other team has good defense then guess what? After the first minute or so there ain't gonna be shit for you to paint without combat. Also it's generally easier to splat an opponent to stop them from painting your team's territory then it is to run after them and repaint everything they painted.

I don't know, you had a couple of bad splats but for the most part I thought you did well. with the splattershot jr I felt you played your part well. I think you might have just gotten a little too confrontational sometimes in chasing people down. your bomb game was on point though, I felt, and with a short range, rapid fire weapon I felt you did a good job of keeping strategic parts of the map in your color ink.

Yeah.. and that part was key. I'm usually pretty good at knowing when to engage and when to retreat. There was a time in that first OT match that I literally walked into an ink strike that I saw coming. I mean it wasn't the worst... but I know I play better than that lol. I just felt like I was sloppy. If you look at my play in the next match (underpass)... it's like night and day. Much more crisp.

Azure J

Pretty much.

If the other team has good defense then guess what? After the first minute or so there ain't gonna be shit for you to paint without combat. Also it's generally easier to splat an opponent to stop them from painting your team's territory then it is to run after them and repaint everything they painted.

Seriously. I can't believe so many people believe this is the easier way to do things or the more preferred way in a third person shooter.

I can't wait for the release of Splatoon 3 where people have pushed the agenda to the point that people start saying the series isn't a "shooting game" and notSakurai decides to add a misfire mechanic where your weapon spontaneously explodes on you for a KO.

Kappa

Robotguy

I felt like it was my worst match as well. I did better at the end and ended up with a deced K/D, but I made too many poor decisions early on. But once I got to the flat spot on the left side it was great since I could lock down their corridor and shoot into/ defend their zone at the same time. That's not a place I usually take, but now I'm thinking it might be one of the jet squelchers strongest positions on that map if you have good enough awareness.

yeah I could definitely feel the hype even just from the replay. you guys gained control with like 3 seconds left in the match to send it into overtime, overtime starts and yall lose control for like 5-8 seconds (during which I'm sitting here like, "wait I thought they won this match?"), then gain it back for the win. crazy.
Ooops, in the quoted post I meant to say that the comeback on Urchin was great too. There was a pretty crazy part in the late game of that where I successfully made a move against their charger, but then got surprised by their dynamo and took some crazy evasive action to avoid a few flicks and getting behind him for the kill. Probably my favorite moment of the tourney so far.

I don't mind having 2 chargers on my team if they're both really good. I actually kind of like it.

A lot of random chargers in TWs are questionable, though...
Our next opponents played a two charger lineup for the first two rounds. Should make for an interesting match.

Crisium

Yeah the OT was too intense. Luckily I was really feeling my Nozzle at that point and got some good KOs. Really that whole game, anytime someone KOd the Dynamo I was relieved. TBH the way the Dynamo player acted he could have been more effective as a Splat Roller so things worked out for us.

I'll agree with people getting overly aggressive in turf war only to the point where they do forget to ink their own area. My feeling is rushing the middle at the start is fine, but if you die, do some serious inking on your way back. I can think of a specific instance where my team beat RedFyn's on the old Urchin Underpass specifically because, though we hadn't controlled the middle, Red's team didn't ink their own base while I did. When I was on Red's team it was fine because I'd ink once I died, but it can definitely be frustrating if you're using a weapon that isn't great at inking and you see great inking weapons just re-inking the middle over and over.

Yes it is, although it's recommended to have some kind of damage up to make sure that combo kills against anyone packing defence up. In fact in close range with the bucket it is actually better to just use burst bombs than a slosh because you can chuck one and almost immediately dive back into the ink, giving you mobility you wouldn't otherwise have.

Huh, interesting. Is one defense up sub enough to counter, or does it need to be a main?

Speaking of which, is there some amount of defense up that is ideal in charger-heavy game types?

Crisium

I'm still not sure if the first minute of turf wars really matters tbh

Depends on the map. Rushing to the middle of Arowana Mall or the top of Saltspray Rig in the opening can get you control that you can hold the entire game if your defense is strong.

Of course it could still fall apart in the last 30 seconds. All dependent on your Iron Curtain.

I felt like it was my worst match as well. I did better at the end and ended up with a deced K/D, but I made too many poor decisions early on. But once I got to the flat spot on the left side it was great since I could lock down their corridor and shoot into/ defend their zone at the same time. That's not a place I usually take, but now I'm thinking it might be one of the jet squelchers strongest positions on that map if you have good enough awareness.

I always go there lol. I usually use the Splattershot Pro in Splat Zones. For that particular area, I do exactly what you said. Lock down their corridor and still have enough range to shoot into the zone. Plus the sub are splat bombs. Toss them in there or on top of the tower and just watch for opponents trying to rush the corridor. Only reason I chose Jr for this round is because of what everyone else was using. I wanted to be quick and mobile.

Ooops, in the quoted post I meant to say that the comeback on Urchin was great too. There was a pretty crazy part in the late game of that where I successfully made a move against their charger, but then got surprised by their dynamo and took some crazy evasive action to avoid a few flicks and getting behind him for the kill. Probably my favorite moment of the tourney so far.

Yeah, that was awesome. It was my favorite match as well. Plus my bubble timing was on point. Sharing the bubble with your team at the end of matches is clutch. Especially since some of your teammates use longer range weapons. It got so bad that one of their players switched to the Jr. lol

NotLiquid

OP is finally updated (info on Matchmaking, updated FAQ, updated Weapons List, added Online Portal in the Customization section etc.)

It's not fully optimized cause I haven't run it by Protomouse yet but that's because I finally found the actual font Splatoon uses for it's text and hope to totally overhaul the OT with the new font. It's going to have to be at a later date though.

As an aside, a friend of mine is going to run this totally radical Splatoon zine for charity and will feature both an Inkling edition and Octoling edition with droves of original, fan made art for both factions. It's going to feature certain prominent artists like Skullgirls' very own Alex Ahad. I'm going to be contributing to it myself and will be drawing for the Octoling edition.

Totakeke

If anyone else is interested in forming a team and joining a tournament, there's another one being set up right now on squidboards for August 22-23. Unlike the current one, this just takes place over one weekend and has a maximum of 32 teams. May be too late at night for EU players though.

They have 9 teams right now.
http://squidboards.com/threads/the-salty-splatoon-competitive-tournament.4959/

Here's the rules.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ScH-rRkHZ81KpxecNrpvFB4eGajvk8DwcISkgvuBW0Q/edit#gid=0

Robotguy

I always go there lol. I usually use the Splattershot Pro in Splat Zones. For that particular area, I do exactly what you said. Lock down their corridor and still have enough range to shoot into the zone. Plus the sub are splat bombs. Toss them in there or on top of the tower and just watch for opponents trying to rush the corridor. Only reason I chose Jr for this round is because of what everyone else was using. I wanted to be quick and mobile.

Yeah, that was awesome. It was my favorite match as well. Plus my bubble timing was on point. Sharing the bubble with your team at the end of matches is clutch. Especially since some of your teammates use longer range weapons. It got so bad that one of their players switched to the Jr. lol
Yeah, I'm glad you went Jr, since I wouldn't be comfortable going short in a tournament setting. I play squelchers very heavily: 867K turf with DS, 400K turf with CJS. I have some shorter range weapons that I'm think I'm pretty good with, but not tourney good.

The first minute matters in Turf War. You generally want the base almost entirely painted by the end of the first minute so that you don't have to waste time doing it later. You also don't want the enemy team to breach your base's defenses during that time because that goes against the entire point of inking your base.

The next minute should be focused on gaining control of the middle and stopping the enemy team from breaking into your turf. The main goal is to be in a favorable position as you enter minute three.

The final minute should be focused on either not choking (if you're winning) or going HULK SMASH! on the enemy team and making a comeback (if you're losing).

Oh, and from my experience the number one reason teams lose to a comeback is because they get greedy and try to go for even more turf than they already have. There is then like one person left who is smart enough to actually defend shit and then the enemy team decides to take advantage of this and then everything goes to hell as the sole defender loses in a 3v1 and the three other guys all jump back to spawn or, alternatively, get owned by a single dynamo roller splash because let's huddle together because why the fuck not. Then the enemy team has one person repaint their base and the other three just go do shit and then your team loses 27 - 65 because thanks a lot for making me defend the base by myself you dumb fucks.

ryechu

"It’s not like we couldn’t have made 3 vs. 3 battles, but if just one player is splatted, the balance changes drastically and the enemy team can make a push in one go. On the other hand, when we tried increasing the number of players, the effect of splatting one person was small. However, when we tried 4 vs. 4, just splatting one player got the other team into a quite unfavorable situation. It is like a power play in ice hockey."-Hisashi Nogami

The internet doesn't work differently than the real world. No one wants to hear the advice of a fool except other fools revelling in shared opinions. Now if I could just gain the mental fortitude to ignore it. Or make fun of it. I find it pretty hilarious that they think Splatoon is about getting a spreading weapon and covering each others' paint trails.

atr0cious

Oh man, Turf War philosophies, I've given a lot of hot takes about this on stream.

You'll always have the chance to touch up the area around your spawn later. Even if you never die, you can jump back to spawn near the end of the fight and paint. Controlling the middle of most maps is going to be super helpful.

I don't care about killing or not, but I wish people would stop saying this, when the opposite is more likely to be true, and in especially close games, shoddy base painting can still lose you the game. If you have to paint when you die, what does that mean if it's in the final minute and you end up giving away crucial ground? This happens all the time in GAF matches. The aggressive team will take up posts at the usual spots and at most half-heartedly cover the home base. After a good minute of straight domination, someone slips out and paints their base, they crumble as they try to do both, and the other side narrowly wins. There has to be a point when you trust your teammates, but I don't think base painting is one of them.

In randoms, I usually know I'm gonna win if I start my usual routine on the base and look down to see the rest of the base is essentially covered. Those teammates are people who know the pains of seeing their hard work fall apart because their point man tentak is aimed 90 degrees at the ground.

Violet_0

Banned
get a carbon roller on the team, they have no business going mid at the start of the match without a charged inkzooka on most maps anyway so they'll paint the base nice and tidy

at least, that's what I did when I used the carbon roller

Top Bottom