• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

And now for another daily (hourly?) post of content appropriated from reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0XSdQuMA6U
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3gpl69/found_some_old_clips_i_recorded_of_dumb_stuff/

1. The air horns are a bit excessive but some of the other sound edits are funny. No I don't actually want obnoxious noises in your videos Azure, they're fine as they are :)
2. I like his flank via the wall of the Arowana Mall hill.
3. We can all probably relate to the latency issues that happen in Splatoon :p

Ahnez

Five consecutive splat zones on port - five wins

Sixth match is on depot - lost by knockout

what is wrong with this map? lol

Is there any video comparison? I see some people saying it's larger but it wasn't in Nintendo's change log and I can't see any difference myself.

Maybe you're right and it was some kind of placebo effect since I looked up images of the splash wall before the update and it does look the same. I saw someone else say yesterday that its taking more hits though so was it changed or not?

Doorman

I sure hope not all of GAF is all S already, I'm still down here in the slums of C. Then again, I've still only played ranked mode on like two occasions, so for now I'm going to wish assume I'm at least a little better than that and my lack of rank is simply a lack of play and too much time constantly fiddling around with various weapons in turf wars to narrow down my list of "mains."

Speaking of which, for the Dual Squelcher pros out there, are there any gear abilities that you feel are particularly helpful for it? Most of the other sets I'm using I feel like I have a clear usage-concept in mind for and can lean towards specific skills. I've been performing pretty well with the Dualie lately and it feels good to use, but its intended concept feels really nebulous to me and I can't come up with a solid skill loadout to focus on aside from the typical ink savers. I have a hard time picturing any of the main-only (like tenacity, ninja squid, stealth jump) abilities really providing a lot of utility for the way I use the weapon, but just stacking a bunch of the typical ones feels like there's something I'm missing out on.

I've been playing Ranked since it was first unlocked, and just getting to C+ has been a slow uphill battle (thanks to a slew of recent losses I'm currently down to C-). Thing is, I know when it's my fault my team loses and I know when we lose because of something that was beyond my control (disconnects, bad playing on their parts, or nearly impossible to overcome obstacles such as when several people with buckets or someone with a scope or charger claims the tower in Blackbelly Skate Park). And judging by some of the winning streaks I've had in Turf War, I know for a fact that it's mostly the latter that has kept from be leveling up in Ranked. Is most of GAF really at S? :(
Checked ranks of my friend list via the site.

Plenty of S's and most of those who aren't... Actually don't deserve to be S because they keep on falling for stupid shit. :lol: They're generally still in the A range with some B's though, only a few C's on my list.

Hackworth

I sure hope not all of GAF is all S already, I'm still down here in the slums of C.
I got to like B+, quit playing for a while for postgraduate reasons, and now don't really want to play ranked anymore. I'll probably jump back in when I decide I want to play tower control again.

SALT BELOW

First match of the day is of course on Moray Towers, where I get matched with two rollers and an inkbrush against two chargers and two shooters.
We lost with like 30% coverage and now I hate videogames again.
Also our inkbrush disconnected.

Seriously how hard is it to balance weapon types between teams?

Robotguy

I sure hope not all of GAF is all S already, I'm still down here in the slums of C. Then again, I've still only played ranked mode on like two occasions, so for now I'm going to wish assume I'm at least a little better than that and my lack of rank is simply a lack of play and too much time constantly fiddling around with various weapons in turf wars to narrow down my list of "mains."

Speaking of which, for the Dual Squelcher pros out there, are there any gear abilities that you feel are particularly helpful for it? Most of the other sets I'm using I feel like I have a clear usage-concept in mind for and can lean towards specific skills. I've been performing pretty well with the Dualie lately and it feels good to use, but its intended concept feels really nebulous to me and I can't come up with a solid skill loadout to focus on aside from the typical ink savers. I have a hard time picturing any of the main-only (like tenacity, ninja squid, stealth jump) abilities really providing a lot of utility for the way I use the weapon, but just stacking a bunch of the typical ones feels like there's something I'm missing out on.
For the standard DS I've been going for high special charge up + special duration up builds lately to try to maximize my echolocator utilization. Tenacity can be useful to help build echolocator if you're defending and not getting much painting done. I typically run ninja squid on it, because I feel the ability generally pretty nice to have, and some swim speed up to counter the ninja squid speed nerf. Ninja squid isn't as useful for squelchers as it is for some other weapons, but I don't really see anything in particular as being essential for DS.

Geg

I like ink saver main for it. One main ability bumps the dual squelcher's fire duration to almost nine and a half seconds

Doorman

For the standard DS I've been going for high special charge up + special duration up builds lately to try to maximize my echolocator utilization. Tenacity can be useful to help build echolocator if you're defending and not getting much painting done. I typically run ninja squid on it, because I feel the ability generally pretty nice to have, and some swim speed up to counter the ninja squid speed nerf. Ninja squid isn't as useful for squelchers as it is for some other weapons, but I don't really see anything in particular as being essential for DS.

Yeah this is sort of the issue I've run into with it myself. It seems like a really good "general use" weapon but that also makes it tough to figure out just what part of it to emphasize as a strength. I didn't really consider ninja squid very much since it seems most effective with a bit of range anyway, I was almost more tempted to go the other way and give it a bunch of swim speed buffs since that would allow me to advance or retreat quickly as-needed and be more of a mobile striker. This might more or less be replacing the vanilla splattershot as my "jack of all trades" weapon, which I also struggled to come up with decent loadouts for. For now I guess I'm mostly leaning toward ink saver main, swim speed, ink recovery, and special duration in that order. Maybe opening gambit for early pushing? I'm not sure how much that and last-ditch actually help, though.

WALKMAN04

Walkman! Nooooooo D: why couldn't I have been on your team lol
Did we play ranked match against each other earlier, I had no idea lol I'm to into the game right now trying to get to S+ but everytime I make good progress something always pops up like a disconnect where I lose 12 points or just bad teammates. Overall a pretty annoying day

Azure J

This took WAY longer than anticipated to compile but here we go:

Team More EXP Chronicles: DaBoss goes "squads to grind gear?" and I accept. Walkman and Sloth come along for the ride. Witness us fucking around on ranked only to realize that I'm the only person in squad that gets affected by point losses leading to...

S RANK HYPE: Totally just did this so I can abuse free cash/no stress matches in squads from now on. :lol

Here's the one I mentioned Azure it was actually from a couple of days ago

http://www.twitch.tv/azurejerichogaf/v/10465163 At the 28:50 mark

And done:

Squid vs. Kids: Walkman04 vs. Azure J, G Smashley, Heng & Kevin

Walkman with that flash step tho.

Alright Azure, it's this broadcast :http://www.twitch.tv/azurejerichogaf/v/10002896 at ~59:30

OK, so here's the deal, this is currently highlighted on my Twitch but won't export to my YT channel for whatever reason. I'll link to the twitch highlight and hope things sort out soon:

Private Lobby - Tower Control - Team Triple R vs. Us (Azure J, Candido, GuySloth, RagnarokX)

Someone refresh my memory if there was another inkbrush coming up in an update say like another octobrush with different subs, I'm feeling the struggle with my brush as of late in ranked.

The Octobrush Noveau is the one every brush enthusiast is looking out for currently. It comes with Splat Bombs and Inkzooka. The other variations of brush (that we know of) are all released already.

Azure J

And now for another daily (hourly?) post of content appropriated from reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0XSdQuMA6U
https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3gpl69/found_some_old_clips_i_recorded_of_dumb_stuff/

1. The air horns are a bit excessive but some of the other sound edits are funny. No I don't actually want obnoxious noises in your videos Azure, they're fine as they are :)
2. I like his flank via the wall of the Arowana Mall hill.
3. We can all probably relate to the latency issues that happen in Splatoon :p

Nah, I wouldn't do anything quite that crazy, but I have been thinking about a GAF highlight reel/mixtape although I'm not sure I could do the video editing any real justice.

wait, what's this free cash abuse and no point losses in ranked thing?

If you join Squads in S rank or higher, you don't gain points, but you don't lose points while still getting 5500 points/cash for every KO and whatever amount for other victories. You also get point bonuses for leveling like normal.

Here's what I used to go from C+30 to B- without any losses:
9yUNtVj.png

Pro gear, right? :D

Finalow

If you join Squads in S rank or higher, you don't gain points, but you don't lose points while still getting 5500 points/cash for every KO and whatever amount for other victories. You also get point bonuses for leveling like normal.
that's really nice for farming coins but I guess it's gonna suck if I want to play ranked with S gaffers instead of randoms, hope is lost for getting out of the trench. :^

I like ink saver main for it. One main ability bumps the dual squelcher's fire duration to almost nine and a half seconds

When I use the DS I use Ink Saver Main (Jungle Hat yay with a ink saver main sub) Special Charge up, and Ink Resistance Boots with 2 run speed up sub abilities and the third slot is a ink saver main

Geg

Studio Headphones brah

Also how does a team of A/A/A-/A- lose 12 points for losing to a team of A/A-/A-/A-? Shouldn't those be too close for the bonus points to kick in?

Actually don't deserve to be S because they keep on falling for stupid shit. :lol: They're generally still in the A range with some B's though, only a few C's on my list.

Great.

I'm genuinely curious, though: What "stupid shit" do they fall for that causes them to not deserve to be S?

I once made the mistake of blaming myself for every one of my defeats in Ranked. I mean I really beat myself up over how awful I was at this game. Then I attended my first Splatfest last week and played Turf War for nearly 24 hours straight. I improved a ton at Turf War, of course, but lately I've been losing just as many Ranked battles (I should mention that I only play Splat Zones) due to... just rotten luck, I guess. I don't know what else to call it when your team's weapons are seemingly always outclassed by the other team's, usually by OP crap like the Dynamo Roller and the E-liter 3K. There are some matches that literally cannot be won and are over the minute the enemy claims the high ground.

I got back into splatoon today and I started using the Splatling. It took me some time to get used to it, but know that I have a good idea of how to use it I'm having so much fun with it!

DaBoss

Splash-o-matic with 3 random gear :p

Even got 19/6 in one lol
I didn't try that weapon on Bluefin Splat Zones, so I don't really know what to do. Going into the zone is basically going into the trenches of war lol. I would say it is a hard weapon to use in that map for Splat Zones.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Any pictures?

No, I didn't get any. I swear, when he splatted me, I saw two filled slots and two question marks like they were building it up. It was so weird which is why I noted it. I thought I found them in the plaza but they had the normal 3 slots. :(

???

How is that possible?

I don't know. All I thought was how did you do that since I tried with Spyke and he said no. I wondered if something had changed or if it was a hack.

Now I can't seem to find it with the four slots. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm seeing things but the only reason I noticed was because it looked off.

Zing

Banned
I use this quite a bit in turf wars and splat zones. I focus on echolocator with it. Wear special up and special duration up.

Great.

I'm genuinely curious, though: What "stupid shit" do they fall for that causes them to not deserve to be S?
-Obvious killer wail traps
-Aim swing at one direction -> change mid-swing to catch someone running straight at me for some reason.
-Flinging ink at random patches of enemy ink to try to fuck over people who thought they were being sneaky.
-Swimming straight at somebody and swinging when they saw me and therefore should have either blocked my path ASAP or backed off and gave me some room because I'm a motherfucking roller, bitches.
-Thinking I can't see the ripples. I can see the ripples.

Stuff like that.

Top Bottom