• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I wish they upped Spyke's order accuracy. I see cool gear all the time but there's almost no chance of Spyke actually getting it.

Agreed. I'm currently stuck in a loop where I'm ordering a perfect set of Pilot Goggles from a JP guy in my lobby every chance, hoping and praying Spyke will give me all 3 abilities. But no, he keeps giving me 2 and every time I buy them and re-roll the final slot it's the same dumb Defence Up that my ones originally had. I'm starting to think if you replace gear it'll just inherit the same abilities as the one you're replacing.

It especially sucks since I now cannot play Splatoon until I get those goggles as the JP guy will be disappear from my lobby, and I have to wait out the day that Spyke has a trash item until I can then order them again, meaning 3 days per attempt.

I really hope there's a way Spyke gives us perfect orders upon lvl 50, I wouldn't care if it costed 120,000 gold for it.

I'll even take rigged rerolls to get brand specific subs for 5-6 snails.

atr0cious

WVW69iSC0OwYM82sI-

I wonder if using these shoes over ink resistance is worth it? I have all the available ones but i'm not sure since i'm not a huge fan of the nuke green tentatek shoes and they're the only ones I can think of that have an affinity towards ink recovery.
The only problem with this seems to be, even if you use the quick respawn, you're still gonna have to wait or take time getting to the frontline, but with ink resistance, the main benefits always happen and keep you alive longer, while also letting you fight from positions you normally wouldn't.

phanphare

Banned
Aerospray and splatter shot

I'm kind of diggin ink saver sub

with the splattershot I like to use special charge up. that's an ability that works in multiple ways with that weapon set. your main ink tank refills when you engage your special, so that can be useful depending on the situation. also having the same special as your sub weapon kind of makes the special charge up work like a ink saver sub too.

I usually wear Quick Respawn mains on both shoes and shirt for ranked, and save my Ink Resistance shoes for turf war. I don't think Quick Respawn makes a major difference in turf war battle outcomes most of the time.
2 mains? How much time does that shave off?
The only problem with this seems to be, even if you use the quick respawn, you're still gonna have to wait or take time getting to the frontline, but with ink resistance, the main benefits always happen and keep you alive longer, while also letting you fight from positions you normally wouldn't.
True enough, but some times I feel like everything i've built so far has been around ink resistance. Guess it's just that good. OH and the shirt I ordered from you came in and it had 0 perks unlocked so once again Spyke failed me.

atr0cious

True enough, but some times I feel like everything i've built so far has been around ink resistance. Guess it's just that good. OH and the shirt I ordered from you came in and it had 0 perks unlocked so once again Spyke failed me.
Believe me, I hate having only 4 pairs of shoes to rotate through, but splatling needs all the footing it can get. Use a.jr, any roller/octobrush(Not ink) or any weapon that pants the ground in first shot, if you want a weapon that doesn't really need it. Splatling doesn't cover ground till the 2nd or 3rd shot, which can leave you without ground in a pinch.

My shirt was blessed by the splat gods, you must purify yourself first, in the camp triggerfish waters, before you can truly unlock its potential.

Believe me, I hate having only 4 pairs of shoes to rotate through, but splatling needs all the footing it can get. Use a.jr or a roller, any weapon that pants the ground in first shot, if you want a weapon that doesn't really need it. Splatling doesn't cover ground till the 2nd, which can leave you without ground in a pinch.
If there's one gun I truly hate is the jr. People always have that damn clutch bubble ready to go every time I find them.

StAidan

The Squid Science video should give you a pretty good idea, the kill cam hangs around for 6.5 seconds normally, and each main subtracts roughly a second off the time. Total respawn time for me (a hair over 10 seconds normally) seems to be about 6 seconds, which is a 40% savings. It really feels fast when it's happening. Wish I could spare my headwear for a third main, but I use that for Special Charge Up, which is another major win factor in ranked, at least for my weapon and playstyle (Octobrush).

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
I think I'd prefer playing in a lobby full of japanese players. Today, I've realize that majority of the English named players do not know how to play ranked bsttles. I'm willing to play in lag than with a team who has no idea how to play.

Agreed. I have no problems with the Japanese except when they're good and not on my team :p

Geg

Agreed. I have no problems with the Japanese except when they're good and not on my team :p

Yeah this is why I want to get in a squad to rank up to A+ during Japan's next splatfest. I want to try to get to A on my own before then though.

I can tell through playing some ranked yesterday I'm clearly better than the majority of A- people I'm playing with and probably most of the A rank players too. The problem is one really good A+ or S on the other team can shift things really far in their favor since a lot of my teammates can't handle them. That's what happened on an Urchin Underpass game yesterday where I started out strong by killing two of the enemy team and started covering the zone only to be killed from behind by an A+ tentatek. I look at the map to see this guy had basically just walked around the zone and wiped my entire team single-handedly.

Robotguy

Yeah this is why I want to get in a squad to rank up to A+ during Japan's next splatfest. I want to try to get to A on my own before then though.

I can tell through playing some ranked yesterday I'm clearly better than the majority of A- people I'm playing with and probably most of the A rank players too. The problem is one really good A+ or S on the other team can shift things really far in their favor since a lot of my teammates can't handle then. That's what happened on an Urchin Underpass game yesterday where I started out strong by killing two of the enemy team and started covering the zone only to be killed from behind by an A+ tentatek. I look at the map to see this guy had basically just walked around the zone and wiped my entire team single-handedly.
So you know I was playing your baby the Custom Dual Squelcher when I made it to S rank last night.
It's very strong on the saltspray/ port rotation that was on at the time. It's infuriating when you have great beakon placement on saltspray and people don't use them though. When you get a multikill firing a killer wail down the spawn lanes on port though. <3.

Geg

Hehe yes beakons are godlike on Saltspray. Winning some ranked matches thanks to them is what made me want a weapon with them, which is why I was so happy when the first weapon leak happened and saw the new dual squelcher would have beakons.

I honestly can't remember if I've gotten a multikill with the killer wail on port mackerel, I tend to have bad luck and most of the time people are able to dodge it or I only get one.

Congrats on S rank!

Robotguy

Hehe yes beakons are godlike on Saltspray. Winning some ranked matches thanks to them is what made me want a weapon with them, which is why I was so happy when the first weapon leak happened and saw the new dual squelcher would have beakons.

I honestly can't remember if I've gotten a multikill with the killer wail on port mackerel, I tend to have bad luck and most of the time people are able to dodge it or I only get one.

Congrats on S rank!
Thanks. Yeah, the multikill down the lane was just lucky really. But it's nice that I can at least use it to force people out of a lane for a while. It's also great for when they take your zone and you know a roller or someone is camping beneath the ledge. Fire it down into the zone from behind the crate and you'll either force them away from the ledge, or hopefully get the kill.
Anyways, I tend to play the custom when Saltspray or Moray are in the rotation cause beakons are strong there. I didn't like killer wail at first, but it's growing on me, especially for TC. It's especially nice because sometimes if no one is flanking you can use the tower itself for cover as you set up to fire down a path infront of you.

Thanks. Yeah, the multikill down the lane was just lucky really. But it's nice that I can at least use it to force people out of a lane for a while. It's also great for when they take your zone and you know a roller or someone is camping beneath the ledge. Fire it down into the zone from behind the crate and you'll either force them away from the ledge, or hopefully get the kill.
Anyways, I tend to play the custom when Saltspray or Moray are in the rotation cause beakons are strong there. I didn't like killer wail at first, but it's growing on me, especially for TC. It's especially nice because sometimes if no one is flanking you can use the tower itself for cover as you set up to fire down a path infront of you.

I really need to pick up wail, especially since the charge time has been reduced. We went up against a really clever wail users the other night in squads who was just on a bad team and they pretty much single-handedly prevented us from getting the KO on Port with really well timed wails. I'm pretty sure that He/She got a quad kill on our team near the end of the match.

After using the .96 Gal for the first time yesterday, I've realized I don't really know the optimal locations for placing Sprinklers. Anyone have any resources?

Also thinking of making my first foray into ranked battles sometime soon. Or my second, I guess, since I played one match months ago, got a knockout, and called it good.

Azure J

I'm pretty happy with my gear roll out for the bucket

FhAWveS.png

Thanks, Spyke!

GIVE ME YOUR SHOES.

The new marketing and demo plus the big update bumped Splatoon sales up 26% over the prior week in Japan

This game is fucking unreal right now. I am so curious about a world where this was the Wii U's launch title with all of the functionality it has at current.

Going through some old Nintendo Power issues. Some kid in Jan. 2000 predicted Splatoon.

9FSMQo1.jpg

Yoooo.

Robotguy

I still have really bad aim with the wail sometimes. You can see on atr0cious's stream here that I actually fire it directly beneath him instead of at him
Yeah, I've screwed up the vertical aim on it sometimes when I'm firing at someone above or below me. Screwed it up pretty badly in on of my round one tourney matches on Saltspray, but I'm pretty sure Sendou sniped that dude like a second later so it didn't really cost us anything fortunately.

After using the .96 Gal for the first time yesterday, I've realized I don't really know the optimal locations for placing Sprinklers. Anyone have any resources?

Also thinking of making my first foray into ranked battles sometime soon. Or my second, I guess, since I played one match months ago, got a knockout, and called it good.
It is something you might have to experiment with in recon mode to avoid learning potentially bad habits.

But to give an example.In turf wars on saltspray it can be good for minor harassment by throwing ones in the points you can't normally walk to later on (early on I use it as a distraction in the good old race to the top of the map). It is also fairly effective on the spawn point too for letting you get on with other things. I say fairly as well watch for yourself in recon but it feels like the first 5 seconds are where it does 70% of the work and then the next 20 is the remainder.

Also you will mess up your aim and end up with the things at an angle or on a wall etc.

backlot

What do you all think about using bomb throw range up on the bucket? I was thinking it might be nice to get the edge over other buckets but is the range buff enough to actually be noticeable?

Robotguy

burst bombs are great for tower control though! lob out 2 at a time and get splats all day long
Except when they're hiding on the opposite side of the obelisk. :(

I'm getting pretty decent at throwing splat bombs onto the tower without them bouncing off.
I feel like suction bombs would be better. I have almost no playtime on weapons with suction bombs though.

Xenoboy

I played a few games today and got completely splatted. And why did it have to be Moray Towers 2 times in a row in ranked? :/

Gonna play some games now.

Top Bottom