• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I'm a huge fan of the Splash Wall in Tower Control, but I am also living that C+ life.
I actually wonder if the real reason the Splash Wall was made larger isn't for better defense but to make it easier to set in front of the tower and force people to either get off or die.

Nintendo, continuing the tradition of master trolling :lol

What do you all think about using bomb throw range up on the bucket? I was thinking it might be nice to get the edge over other buckets but is the range buff enough to actually be noticeable?
A single bomb range up main is very noticeable. It's an ability that has severe diminishing returns, but I've found that it's nice to have one of if your weapon uses bombs and you don't really need anything else.

Razmos

I've been trying to upgrade the abilities on my equipment and literally the only abilities i'm getting are Spawn Speed Increase, Faster Super Launch and Special Saver.

Those are literally the only abilities i've gotten today, multiple times on around 5 or 6 pieces of equipment. Fuck that RNG, seriously.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That one time playing ranked with my friends really made me not want to play ranked with randoms anymore.

I haven't touched random ranked since squads. I can manage turf wars for just practicing weapons and leveling some shitty gear, but ranked.. noooope.

Roody

Neo Member
Just added a bunch of folks from the thread and Google doc in hopes of squadding up some! I'm working hard to get out of C+ lol. If you're not interested just ignore the invite from "Ben," no hard feelings. :)

I play several evenings a week, EST time zone. Anyone is free to add me: NNID is benhuber

I know it's not much of an achievement since most of GAF is already rocking S's but I actually managed to not suck in randoms ranked with a gun I hardly used (vanilla .52 Gal) AND MADE IT TO A+!
WVW69iSJARE4YoqWOd

Finalow

I'm not sure if the gatling gun sucks or I just don't know how to use it properly. either way, I don't like it. the bucket on the other hand is pretty fun.

didn't know they changed Urchin Underpass, "wth is this map ~oh"

I actually managed to finish some games today. Sadly they appear to be flukes as "the connection is unstable" has continued its reign of terror. Well at least I can say I've used more than 9 weapons online now.
I just want a stability update (an actual one not firmware update)

That reminds me. I really dig how the tunic dress changes colour based on what team you are on. Do any other outfits do that?

Geg

I know it's not much of an achievement since most of GAF is already rocking S's but I actually managed to not suck in randoms ranked with a gun I hardly used (vanilla .52 Gal) AND MADE IT TO A+!
WVW69iSJARE4YoqWOd

Congrats! I wanted to try making it to A today after work but it's going to be splatzones on Port Mackerel and Bluefin Depot and I don't have much experience on those. Maybe with a squad

I actually wonder if the real reason the Splash Wall was made larger isn't for better defense but to make it easier to set in front of the tower and force people to either get off or die.

Nintendo, continuing the tradition of master trolling :lol

Is there any video comparison? I see some people saying it's larger but it wasn't in Nintendo's change log and I can't see any difference myself.

Robotguy

Congrats! I wanted to try making it to A today after work but it's going to be splatzones on Port Mackerel and Bluefin Depot and I don't have much experience on those. Maybe with a squad
Mackerel zones can be pretty annoying, especially when there are chargers on both teams and it turns into a campy mess where everyone is too scared to try to get past the chargers to the other side.

Azure J

So I've been kinda slacking with putting up stream highlights, but I'm almost done clearing the backlog.

"SplatGAF Plays": This is my catch all playlist from now on when we play crazy made up modes together. This stream included Bumper Brushes, Burst Bombs Only, and what I'm now calling "Squid vs. Kids" (1v2/1v3/1v4). There are too many hilarious things to mention in these so I just encourage you all to watch as much as you like and see what happens for yourself. :lol
It Came From The Deep (Orange): Dan is a savage.
Target Practice: I feel like if you count my whiffs in The Count's (Sesame Street) voice, it makes this clip even more hilarious.
Splatterscope Highlight: A highlight from last night's stream. I was really feeling it.

Have fun!

Edit: I just realized I have to get highlights up from Team "Grindan" later. :lol

Robotguy

So I've been kinda slacking with putting up stream highlights, but I'm almost done clearing the backlog.

"SplatGAF Plays": This is my catch all playlist from now on when we play crazy made up modes together. This stream included Bumper Brushes, Burst Bombs Only, and what I'm now calling "Squid vs. Kids" (1v2/1v3/1v4). There are too many hilarious things to mention in these so I just encourage you all to watch as much as you like and see what happens for yourself. :lol
Target Practice: I feel like if you count my whiffs in The Count's (Sesame Street) voice, it makes this clip even more hilarious.
Splatterscope Highlight: A highlight from last night's stream. I was really feeling it.

Have fun!

Edit: I just realized I have to get highlights up from Team "Grindan" later. :lol
Have you highlighted the team "R" 3V4 on Skatepark TC yet? :p

Thank you! TBH Splat zones isn't that bad, it's all in how aggressive you are towards taking the 2nd zone in Mackerel.
Shooting for A- they probably gonna lay off of ranked hope to get some good randoms if I can't squad up
I usually get terrible randoms but this time the room more or less stuck around even after my first match was a .1 loss.

Geg

Do the one where walkman tries a 1v4 tower control on Mall and seems to teleport onto the tower behind you

Thank you! TBH Splat zones isn't that bad, it's all in how aggressive you are towards taking the 2nd zone in Mackerel.
Eh I get the feeling I'd rather play defensively and stay behind to keep our own zone guarded. That's generally how I play splat zones on Blackbelly; stay back and watch for anyone coming to take the zone on our side and get on the center tower if the enemies are mostly cleared out of the middle to shoot down and help keep enemies at bay. I'm just no good at close quarters fighting on that stage

At least against good players. During splatfest I can magically go 13-1 in a 3v4 match lol

Het_Nkik

I have a question!

Say I'm friends With Person A and Person B, but A and B are not friends with each other.

A starts a private lobby and I join A. Can B then join me even though they're not friends with A and it's A's lobby?

I actually managed to finish some games today. Sadly they appear to be flukes as "the connection is unstable" has continued its reign of terror. Well at least I can say I've used more than 9 weapons online now.
I just want a stability update (an actual one not firmware update)

That reminds me. I really dig how the tunic dress changes colour based on what team you are on. Do any other outfits do that?
I believe the dreaded Jungle Hat also changes colors based on your current team color.

I have a question!

Say I'm friends With Person A and Person B, but A and B are not friends with each other.

A starts a private lobby and I join A. Can B then join me even though they're not friends with A and it's A's lobby?
Correct!

WVW69iSJARE4YoqWOd

Congrats, I was up to A 62 the other day but plummeted down to B+, due to comm error, bad play and horrible ranking. On my way to A+

Someone refresh my memory if there was another inkbrush coming up in an update say like another octobrush with different subs, I'm feeling the struggle with my brush as of late in ranked.

I know it's not much of an achievement since most of GAF is already rocking S's

I've been playing Ranked since it was first unlocked, and just getting to C+ has been a slow uphill battle (thanks to a slew of recent losses I'm currently down to C-). Thing is, I know when it's my fault my team loses and I know when we lose because of something that was beyond my control (disconnects, bad playing on their parts, or nearly impossible to overcome obstacles such as when several people with buckets or someone with a scope or charger claims the tower in Blackbelly Skate Park). And judging by some of the winning streaks I've had in Turf War, I know for a fact that it's mostly the latter that has kept from be leveling up in Ranked. Is most of GAF really at S? :(

I should really play ranked again sometime. Last night was the first time I'd played ranked in like a month. I should at least grind myself to the A tier.

Heng

Have fun!

Did we play 3 rapid blaster against you guys on stream? Please highlight those, I would love to see it.

Ansatz

Except when they're hiding on the opposite side of the obelisk. :(

I'm getting pretty decent at throwing splat bombs onto the tower without them bouncing off.
I feel like suction bombs would be better. I have almost no playtime on weapons with suction bombs though.

Suction bomb the back side and they either expose themselves to you or jump off. You can pull this off with very high consistency.

Top Bottom