• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Mellopillow

Neo Member
It was a long and hard journey but I am S+ finally. From the S rank 90 points I left off at yesterday I won 6 straight matches just now just to get to 100, 6 matches for 10 points ,so glad I didn't lose one match.

Congrats man! I need to get on that grind too, but I'm helping out my gf get out of A rank hell in twin squad >_> I would've been s+ already just from the amount of wins I got xD but wow there are some bad team compositions. Who brings two splatlings in twin squad for tower control?! Haha

atr0cious

Congrats man! I need to get on that grind too, but I'm helping out my gf get out of A rank hell in twin squad >_> I would've been s+ already just from the amount of wins I got xD but wow there are some bad team compositions. Who brings two splatlings in twin squad for tower control?! Haha
Are you playing right now?

Geg

Blue you should stop if you're about to derank it's not worth it :(

edit: Oh never mind you're far past deranking lol

Doorman

I must be the only person here who doesn't care about his rank

I want to get higher than what I'm currently at (still just C, but still barely played any rank since I spent all my time trying to narrow down which weapons to take into rank, lol), but I'm not gonna be so hardcore about it that I ever expect to reach the lofty heights of S or S+. In terms of skill and reaction time I'm probably only really B or B+ at best so if I can get to that point and feel comfortable, then so be it. I've always looked at the ranked mode as less of a mountain to climb and more a means to try and match yourself up with players of similar skill so that you can get even, intense matches. As long as that happens and I'm getting cash and such for upgrades, it's all good.

atr0cious

I have one but my gf doesn't. I won't be able to talk when I go on tho cuz I'm on the phone with her. Still want me to go on? I made the squad btw!

Not to talk, just to move our strategy talk to another area. Yea, still, come on, we can use pings in game. We should just discuss weapon use in there.

Jims

I hate to break up the weapon tier talk, although if your list doesn't have the heavy splatling in S, why make it, but I wanted to talk about map strategies. Mainly brought up because towers is currently in rotation and I was just in a lobby with two clans that had no clue on how to play it. I've had a lengthy discussion with Jims about this a while ago, but maybe it'll slowly trickle out to the general audience if I post it here too. Anything to keep from dealing with the banal futility that I'm dealing with right now, which made me stop playing and come write this.

For brevity's sake, I'm gonna use some squidboards marked up map for easy naming:

It seems like the final minute of the game, or just generally everyone over the course of that game, seem to focus on winning the red box. People dive head first for it, forgetting everything else, thinking nothing else matters. The actual "mid" that you should be fighting for and holding is the yellow box. The middle section is barely almost just as big as your spawn and isn't weighty at all in the swing of things, but teams make it so when they spend the entire game sitting in the nest areas on either side of the map.

Corner A and B are the real cornerstones of this map. When I played splatfest, my goal was to paint the wall on the ledge of Alpha or bravo, then paint the walls that immeidiately access both the corners and ramps. If you're a charger, you should be using the nests to paint the alpha/bravo ledges and access to the opposite nest for your team.

Good follow-up. After having that discussion with you about that particular map, I put more of an emphasis on attacking the enemy ramps on Moray and came to the exact same conclusion as you. Corners A and B can be just so super-important for getting a Turf Wars win on Moray Towers. It is so far away from the enemy spawn that it splits their attention in half, and you have such a height advantage over the people in the mid below. Suddenly, the enemy is heading in a horizontal direction (up and down their ramps) rather than forward toward your base.

So many games are lost because they accidentally let someone into those Corners. That grated wall is so important.

Doorman

Good follow-up. After having that discussion with you about that particular map, I put more of an emphasis on attacking the enemy ramps on Moray and came to the exact same conclusion as you. Corners A and B can be just so super-important for getting a Turf Wars win on Moray Towers. It is so far away from the enemy spawn that it splits their attention in half, and you have such a height advantage over the people in the mid below. Suddenly, the enemy is heading in a horizontal direction (up and down their ramps) rather than forward toward your base.

So many games are lost because they accidentally let someone into those Corners. That grated wall is so important.

This is probably the only way I've managed to do pretty well on Moray using the Sploosh-o-Matic. If the enemy ignores you long enough to get yourself up that tall wall and into the opposing corner, a couple of beakons puts your team in a great position to push toward the opponent's spawn, or drop back down toward the center to help prevent leaks back onto your side. If someone's already up there, though, the Sploosh has no real way to fight back with its lack of range. I don't really like having to rely on the carelessness of an opposing team in order to win, but I guess that's partly the idea behind my Sploosh build anyway.

I hate to break up the weapon tier talk, although if your list doesn't have the heavy splatling in S, why make it, but I wanted to talk about map strategies. Mainly brought up because towers is currently in rotation and I was just in a lobby with two clans that had no clue on how to play it. I've had a lengthy discussion with Jims about this a while ago, but maybe it'll slowly trickle out to the general audience if I post it here too. Anything to keep from dealing with the banal futility that I'm dealing with right now, which made me stop playing and come write this.

For brevity's sake, I'm gonna use some squidboards marked up map for easy naming:

It seems like the final minute of the game, or just generally everyone over the course of that game, seem to focus on winning the red box. People dive head first for it, forgetting everything else, thinking nothing else matters. The actual "mid" that you should be fighting for and holding is the yellow box. The middle section is barely almost just as big as your spawn and isn't weighty at all in the swing of things, but teams make it so when they spend the entire game sitting in the nest areas on either side of the map.

Corner A and B are the real cornerstones of this map. When I played splatfest, my goal was to paint the wall on the ledge of Alpha or bravo, then paint the walls that immeidiately access both the corners and ramps. If you're a charger, you should be using the nests to paint the alpha/bravo ledges and access to the opposite nest for your team.

Here's earlier today with the carbon roller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrzvkofWEno

And here's from Splatfest with a .96 gal.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4nEBbyhOA

Same strategy, but have to go about it differently. The sooner everyone does this, the sooner Moray can go from being close boring poke fests to actual dynamic battles like it should have. It's the reason Kas always swings games on this map, since no one covers the Corners. Which is funny, because everyone knows putting a teammate on the opposite corner is almost always a sure win.

I feel it.
I know you won both matches, but I feel like the suggestion you're making can be exploited. When I camp the middle with the CJS, it isn't because I value the middle a whole lot in terms of points. It's to stop the other team from being able to get past and into our territory, and to provide a midway point for any allies that are respawning. Going to Corner B does not help me with preventing the other team from getting past mid and into our ramps. The jet squelcher's range is not long enough to do that from Corner B. My teammates can jump to me and charge towards Nest B or up Ramp B from there, but that's still very leaky.

Specifically in the 96 Gal game that you played, an enemy was able to get past and start inking up your teams' ramps, which could've blown up for your team. That's just more shit that your team has to go back and clean up, and if your weapon is slower at inking than the enemies' weapons, you will be obligated to track them down and kill them, or lose the race.

By staying in middle with a long range weapon, I won't get a lot of points, but imo that's a better way of securing a win. From the mid area, I can shoot at enemies that are on the edges of Nest B and repaint the wall to Nest B as often as I like. Anyone that tries to drop down on me from that high up is also an easy target.

It would be faster to make money by deranking to C- and winning the majority of my games as opposed to staying in B+/A- and attempting to carry 3 dead full grown cows all alone on my back. What kind of player does this matchmaking system think I am? I'm consistently the top 80% of the time and second the rest, and it has to put me with the dead weight every single freaking time?

No, DaBoss, I don't need RNGeezus because he's screwed me far too many times to count.

Sorry, Violet. Not playing ranked anymore today.

ChrisD

Got destroyed by a Splatterscope on Skatepark. Turns out it was actually an 0/8 on the team that dragged us down, because everyone else did great. Thankfully, they left. Even though we lost again, it was only by a hair and it came from a nice battle.

Help on Bluefin? What am I doing here?

OryoN

Seems like my days of being a squid are over... at least temporarily. :(

My controller's left stick developed an annoying drift. I first noticed it after my little cousin spend some time at our place. I knew he dropped it at least once, and can be a bit wild/rough with the sticks during frantic gaming moments, but - though concerned - I wasn't too worried, given how durable my Nintendo products have been. At first it the problem only occured in the home menu and browser(both seem more sensitive to the stick's input), causing the screen to scroll right at times.

But now it's worse, finally affecting Splatoon's menu and gameplay. While selecting gear, it would scroll all the way to the right. I can correct it, but it'll just happen again. During gameplay is the worst, of course. Sometimes it feels as my inkling is fighting against me. It would suddenly walk/turn to the right, and squid form makes it worst due to faster movement. I was on a platfrom/ledge/perch, my squid darted to the right and swam off. That was the last straw! I can't play like this, especially while trying to move up from A rank.

I'm curious to know if anyone's Gamepad developed such a problem. I'm tempted to open it up, but it's obviously more intimidating than previous controllers. How long is the warranty on the Wii U? I don't recall, but if it's 2 years, It *may* still be valid, so I could send it to Nintendo. That's the route I'm leaning on.

Doorman

Suffice it to say, my plans of a speed-oriented Dual Squelcher build are not going to be revisited. Jesus fucking Christ I want to grab every chair I own and slam them to the ground as hard as I can, one by one.

No more Splatoon for today. The rest of my life already enrages me enough.

Azure J

The earlier stream for all the crazy that went down had quite a few amazing moments though which I'll now share with everyone:

Splash Wall Kills Are The Best: Honestly, interactions involving Splash Walls are one of my favorite things in this game. Sniping people under walls in transit, rolling/throwing bombs into them and having them explode on people "safe" behind them, and then this -- setting off a suction bomb blast so the hitbox lingered long enough to nuke someone superjumping to the point -- are all things I've accomplished.

When you win the battle but lose the war... - ...R.I.P. 2 points. ;___;7

MLG 'ZOOKA DOE: WATCH. THIS. PLEASE. You need the whole match to understand the elation in the best moment of this match.

Then after you watch the whole thing, check this out.

Team GAF vs Team VGBootCamp (Debunked): Sadly this wasn't VGBootCamp of Smash stream fame as Twitter informed me when this video went up, but it's an ok highlight so I kept it.

It would be faster to make money by deranking to C- and winning the majority of my games as opposed to staying in B+/A- and attempting to carry 3 dead full grown cows all alone on my back. What kind of player does this matchmaking system think I am? I'm consistently the top 80% of the time and second the rest, and it has to put me with the dead weight every single freaking time?

No, DaBoss, I don't need RNGeezus because he's screwed me far too many times to count.

Sorry, Violet. Not playing ranked anymore today.

That's it, I'm personally recruiting you to my Teams now. We're getting you to a rank that actually reflects your ability. *puts war paint on*

Top Bottom