• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

SM239

I think I'm going to have to change how I handle things with my stream chat. This experience with Steven and Kaze has totally soured me on doing games with Twitch viewers.

I don't blame you at all. Hopefully you can work something out for the future as I really do look forward to your streams.

atr0cious

I hate to break up the weapon tier talk, although if your list doesn't have the heavy splatling in S, why make it, but I wanted to talk about map strategies. Mainly brought up because towers is currently in rotation and I was just in a lobby with two clans that had no clue on how to play it. I've had a lengthy discussion with Jims about this a while ago, but maybe it'll slowly trickle out to the general audience if I post it here too. Anything to keep from dealing with the banal futility that I'm dealing with right now, which made me stop playing and come write this.

For brevity's sake, I'm gonna use some squidboards marked up map for easy naming:

UH3uUJQ.jpg

It seems like the final minute of the game, or just generally everyone over the course of that game, seem to focus on winning the red box. People dive head first for it, forgetting everything else, thinking nothing else matters. The actual "mid" that you should be fighting for and holding is the yellow box. The middle section is barely almost just as big as your spawn and isn't weighty at all in the swing of things, but teams make it so when they spend the entire game sitting in the nest areas on either side of the map.

Corner A and B are the real cornerstones of this map. When I played splatfest, my goal was to paint the wall on the ledge of Alpha or bravo, then paint the walls that immeidiately access both the corners and ramps. If you're a charger, you should be using the nests to paint the alpha/bravo ledges and access to the opposite nest for your team.

Here's earlier today with the carbon roller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrzvkofWEno

And here's from Splatfest with a .96 gal.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi4nEBbyhOA

Same strategy, but have to go about it differently. The sooner everyone does this, the sooner Moray can go from being close boring poke fests to actual dynamic battles like it should have. It's the reason Kas always swings games on this map, since no one covers the Corners. Which is funny, because everyone knows putting a teammate on the opposite corner is almost always a sure win.

I think I'm going to have to change how I handle things with my stream chat. This experience with Steven and Kaze has totally soured me on doing games with Twitch viewers.

I feel it.

WALKMAN04

It was a long and hard journey but I am S+ finally. From the S rank 90 points I left off at yesterday I won 6 straight matches just now just to get to 100, 6 matches for 10 points ,so glad I didn't lose one match.

Azure don't stop streaming sorry I missed what happened later had a meeting to attend :(
Don't let those random guys get to you if need be we can start banning

WALKMAN04

Good job man. :)
Thanks, I was going to tell you guys in squad stream, but I read what you wrote just now, sorry about that. It's hard running the stream with everyone always asking if they can play and for you to add them, gets annoying for me and I'm just there to chat with you guys, can't imagine what it's like for you.

Edit: I agree with padwarrior, just ban people who are obviously interrupting the fun of the stream

It's funny, I never spend time in the middle of Moray. I always just pass through it. if you can get up the first ramp to the enemy team's side and hold that you almost always win. I've rarely lost turf war on that map. probably my best map as far as win loss goes

DaBoss

It's (ban)hammer time.
It was a long and hard journey but I am S+ finally. From the S rank 90 points I left off at yesterday I won 6 straight matches just now just to get to 100, 6 matches for 10 points ,so glad I didn't lose one match.
Congrats.

6 matches to get 10 points is annoying as hell.

6 matches for 10 points? That's scary man. Really scary, but congrats on reaching the top!

Good stuff man! Congrats!
And you didn't even use your c tier squelcher Lol

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
told you you would beat me! Congrats! I was so close to getting to S+ today too (fucking 99 points) but luck was not on my side lol

i think the game is trying to tell me to focus more on the research I should be doing instead of playing Splatoon so much lol

WorldStar

Banned
Certain items have an affinity that affects what you get when you roll them? I had no idea. Would someone please explain this to me?

Heng

Ugg everyone is beating me to S+. :( Congrats man, are you going to attempt S+99?

WALKMAN04

It's (ban)hammer time.

Congrats.

6 matches to get 10 points is annoying as hell.

congrats! you deserve it.

6 matches for 10 points? That's scary man. Really scary, but congrats on reaching the top!
Thanks , yeah I'm glad it was one of my favorite rotations, or might have lost a game, I think 4 out of the 6 were knockouts.

And Daboss, since I know you look into this stuff, your theory that you gain less points as your point total increases seemed to be on display just now. Things that usually gave me 2 or 3 gave me 1 so you are probably right.
Good stuff man! Congrats!
And you didn't even use your c tier squelcher Lol
I had to bump it up a tier to B for that e-liter scoped, C tier just can't cut it for me.

Thanks , yeah I'm glad it was one of my favorite rotations, or might have lost a game, I think 4 out of the 6 were knockouts.

And Daboss, since I know you look into this stuff, your theory that you gain less points as your point total increases seemed to be on display just now. Things that usually gave me 2 or 3 gave me 1 so you are probably right.

I had to bump it up a tier to B for that e-liter scoped, C tier just can't cut it for me.
Lol

NotLiquid

I just had an insane Private room this evening with six more friends where we played mostly Tower Control. It's such a good mode to play with friends even if you're not in even numbers. This one friend was on my team when I was on the team of three against four, and he completely ripped everyone apart. 29 Splats. I've never seen anyone splat that many times.

Not only that but we won with an insane runback where the opposing team of four players were 5 clicks away from winning for at least the first two minutes of the game, and in the last 40 seconds we managed to take the entire tower back to the opponent base and actually win by a Knockout when there was two seconds left on the timer. All of us collectively lost our shit at our Twitter feed at that point. Best game of my life easily and perhaps solidifying Splatoon as my favorite online game.

WALKMAN04

told you you would beat me! Congrats! I was so close to getting to S+ today too (fucking 99 points) but luck was not on my side lol

i think the game is trying to tell me to focus more on the research I should be doing instead of playing Splatoon so much lol
Lol I forgot about the race, and when I don't pay attention to it I seem to win. You'll definitely get there soon you have been floating at the top for some time now, it should only be a matter of time before you push through to S+.
Ugg everyone is beating me to S+. :( Congrats man, are you going to attempt S+99?
I think I'm going to take the advice James gave me and wait until more people get to the higher ranks and the rank distribution evens itself out correctly, I honestly just wanted the money bonus at this point when we do squads. You should make it soon as well, you just need to find the right streak and maybe get some sleep for once lol.

Lol I forgot about the race, and when I don't pay attention to it I seem to win. You'll definitely get there soon you have been floating at the top for some time now, it should only be a matter of time before you push through to S+.

I think I'm going to take the advice James gave me and wait until more people get to the higher ranks and the rank distribution evens itself out correctly, I honestly just wanted the money bonus at this point when we do squads. You should make it soon as well, you just need to find the right streak and maybe get some sleep for once lol.

What's the payout like?

Heng

Thanks man. Last bit of thoughts on the matter before I get something to eat then hop back on.

Why are you guys talking privately? I doubt those guys you're talking about will bother looking at gaf based on how little patience they have. I'll throw in my 2 cent in private as well.

Naming names is what some people thrive on, best to keep it in private. Never know where they lurk, especially since Azure does promote his connection to GAF.
I see.

atr0cious

Why are you guys talking privately? I doubt those guys you're talking about will bother looking at gaf based on how little patience they have. I'll throw in my 2 cent in private as well.

Naming names is what some people thrive on, best to keep it in private. Never know where they lurk, especially since Azure does promote his connection to GAF.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Started up a two man squad for ranked matches if anyone wants to join.

Edit: which probably isn't a good idea since maps are about to change

Doorman

That video clip just makes me wish that there was somehow an actual backdash ability in the game. Maybe a subweapon of some kind? I can just imagine the mishaps using it at Triggerfish or Moray at the wrong time. :p

That video clip just makes me wish that there was somehow an actual backdash ability in the game. Maybe a subweapon of some kind? I can just imagine the mishaps using it at Triggerfish or Moray at the wrong time. :p
I don't need anymore help falling off moray towers lol

Crayolan

Looks like the easiest mode ever. Some thoughts:
-Brush finally useful in a ranked mode, since it can brush a path to the enemy spawn for the carrier the fastest of any weapon
-Spawncamping is much more viable in this mode
-IMO the slow heavy weapons should be the carriers. You need the fast ink spreading weapons to be laying down a path
-I hope Kelp Dome's layout has both bottom paths to the center completely blocked off forcing the carrier to escape the center on the railings

I think any tier list without substantial explanations or tailored for a specific mode is a joke. Also there would totally be a blaster and a squelcher in S.

Top Bottom