• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Jintor

game maker is so good!

Have other CTF games had the 'if x is closer to your goal you win if we time out' mechanic before?

Bluefin Depot...

Is it even possible to get to enemy base in this map? I guess you just try to get as close as possible. Played about 10 matches and closest was like 28.

My god.

Edit: Right after I type that, I find another route on the other side. Still seems really hard with the railings. But seriously, so much to these maps!

PS: Rainmaker is best mode ever. Is there away to see when each mode is in rotation? I know theres a site but its still only in Japanese so I can't tell. :/

Gsnap

Reeeeeeeally enjoying rainmaker much better than tower control. It's like the same thing except the person on the tower isn't as much of a sitting duck. Like capture the flag, but the flag holder isn't completely useless.

The gun is so much fun to use. Having to pop it every time is smart and hilarious. Having it explode after a certain amount of time is smart too. Less camping and timing out the clock that way.

This is probably going to be my favorite ranked mode.

Crayolan

Bluefin Depot...

Is it even possible to get to enemy base in this map? I guess you just try to get as close as possible. Played about 10 matches and closest was like 28.

My god.

Edit: Right after I type that, I find another route on the other side. Still seems really hard with the railings. But seriously, so much to these maps!

PS: Rainmaker is best mode ever. Is there away to see when each mode is in rotation? I know theres a site but its still only in Japanese so I can't tell. :/

When you approach the enemy spawn from the right half of the map, there's a bunch of blocks which you can climb on and use those to jump up to the next level of the map. If you make the jump it instantly cuts the counter down from around 65 to 25.

And yes, I have had 1 KO on Bluefin
in a 3v4

Nico_D

Thanks for the games everybody!

Sorry I was so bad in Rainmaker but I guess that's what Private lobby's for.

I like the mode but it can get extremely chaotic at times. People coming everywhere, do you go for the goal or wait for your team mates to clear the way and what if they die and you're left alone with the Rainmaker... It surely isn't as powerful alone as I thought after watching the video.

I liked the new routes in old maps - as far as I caught even half of them.

eRonin

Hot damn, matches on Blackbelly can be over in less than 20 seconds. The path from the tower to the goal is so short and hardly has any obstacles in the way. I think out of the 4 maps I've played so far, Camp Triggerfish is my favourite for this mode. Seems to have the most heavily contested matches, but it isn't impossible to get the Rainmaker to the goal unlike Bluefin Depot. I've never seen anyone actually get the Rainmaker to the goal in that map yet...

Nico_D

Hot damn, matches on Blackbelly can be over in less than 20 seconds. The path from the tower to the goal is so short and hardly has any obstacles in the way.

That's true, it's very close. But there's more opposition too. In our games we chose longer routes by instinct.

Nico_D

Read somewhere that if you drop off the map while carrying Rainmaker, it returns back to the center. That could be viable strategy if the enemy gets it too close to your base. Can anyone confirm this?

...I don't think I can do this mode...

Not with the delay that Japanese players have with me here in California. I can't count how many times I was killed by the Rainmaker when it was a good few feet to the side, and I already have the fastest Internet available for my area (45 d/ 15 u). Also, no one seems to have any idea what they're doing. They insist on taking the absolute longest route that has the most opportunities to be ambushed, they never cover the runner, and the runner never takes the opening the team may make.

I didn't start doing better until I swapped to the Luna Blaster and let it do the aiming for me since what I see isn't what the game sees. I think I'll give it a few days for people to figure out how to play this mode before I try again, which is sad because this mode is incredibly fun! It just needs people to goddamn work together (and not be a lagging Japanese player). I'm not that spazzy guy on twitch, btw... >_>

I went from S 21 to A 62. I need to go to lay down...

Read somewhere that if you drop off the map while carrying Rainmaker, it returns back to the center. That could be viable strategy if the enemy gets it too close to your base. Can anyone confirm this?

Nope. It respawns above where the person last touched the stage, like when you super jump to someone that is in mid-jump.

Nico_D

Nope. It respawns above where the person last touched the stage, like when you super jump to someone that is in mid-jump.

Ok, there goes that. Thanks, now I won't have a pressing need to do a squid suicide. Although I do it on certain maps anyway. When it's the tower pushing me, when it's my stupidity.

Not with the delay that Japanese players have with me here in California.
Tried a few matches and aside from constant "the connection is unstable" (sorry for all the 3v4 matches, I had assumed Nintendo putting out the mode meant they had done some fixed here*) my latency was so bad I would hit the people going for the shield enough to get a KO, get KOd by the shield exploding, watch them pick up the rainmaker, and then they get KOd from my shots a second later.

That must be really annoying for them.

I also had one situation where I seemed to instantly pick up and drop the rainmaker at the same time. Like I walked over it when to use it and still had my normal weapon and the game was all "you have the rainmaker" "your team lost the rainmaker".

Who goes for the rainmaker is a bit thing in that mode. I was in one situation where nobody picked it up (as they all wanted to provide support).

Yes I am on wired but apparently ADSL is now in the same position dial-up was in back in 2005. Not for online gaming.

*-Why does Nintendo need to do anything? Well, v2.0.0 introduced the problem

Gregtis

I just jumped off bluefin near my base, and it restarted in the middle. I kind of wish it didn't, but if that tactic is there I will use it I guess.

The Rainmaker returns to its starting position (middle of the stage) if you fall on your side of the map.

If you fall on the enemy's side, it goes back to the closest ledge.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Dunno why Kas, but we keep getting put on opposing teams lol

I know, I was hoping we'd play on the same team but that was about 10 straight matches on opposing teams.

And for Moray Towers and Port Mackerel I had to bring out my Kraken Roller. You saw the usual routine, wait for my special tank to fill, try to flank with Kraken, cause chaos, put beacons hoping the random teammates would use them, which they didn't. You kept me contained with the Charger.

GGs

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Sorry for the DC, but you're free to join up for my private room. We'll probably be goofing off for a few more minutes.

Lol I was lagging bad in the private room, everyone was teleporting xD so that's time for me to leave. That was my first rainmaker match, I can tell it's gonna be intense

ChrisD

Rain Maker for "official" tournament mode? Certainly seems the most competitive of what we have. Can you imagine the possible plays in a tournament setting? Flanks, ganks, football charges, rushes... I'd watch that.

MouldyK

Reeeeeeeally enjoying rainmaker much better than tower control. It's like the same thing except the person on the tower isn't as much of a sitting duck. Like capture the flag, but the flag holder isn't completely useless.

Except when the RainMaker Guy does not move...like a sitting duck.

This is way faster than the 2 side paths, yet I haven't seen anyone using it
rainmaker_bluefin-pat9vsip.jpg

Also you can't pick the Rainmaker then go back in your base to camp, the spawn shield will prevent you to enter.

This is way faster than the 2 side paths, yet I haven't seen anyone using it

Also you can't pick the Rainmaker then go back in your base to camp, the spawn shield will prevent you to enter.
I did recon and yeah even with the rainmaker it's an easy jump if the other team is wiped xD

Razmos

I just played my first rainmaker game, I had the rainmaker and had a clear view to the goal. it was literally right in front of me and the entire area was my teams ink, so all I had to do was swim up the thing and we'd win.

I turned into a squid and went right through a grate, killing me. woops.

Then later I got the rainmaker again and was about to win... when I got really confused and thought I had to get the rainmaker back to MY teams base, so I dropped everything and swim halfway back before realizing and swimming back only to be promptly killed.

That being said we still dominated the match, heavy splatling is REALLY good in that mode.

Now that my first time inexperience is out of the way hopefully I won't be that stupid again haha, I bet my teammates were confused as fuck. If this game had voice chat I bet there would be much shouting.

I know, I was hoping we'd play on the same team but that was about 10 straight matches on opposing teams.

And for Moray Towers and Port Mackerel I had to bring out my Kraken Roller. You saw the usual routine, wait for my special tank to fill, try to flank with Kraken, cause chaos, put beacons hoping the random teammates would use them, which they didn't. You kept me contained with the Charger.

GGs
You were giving me quite a bit of trouble and made me really sad about my aim! There were a couple matches in which I missed you like 5 times as you were coming up on me in Moray Towers T_T I don't know if I can count my performance as containing you, since you still managed to get to our side of the map all the time.

Which reminds me, I also need to figure out what to do at close range with the Kelp Charger. I don't got fancy bombs to help me out, which makes fighting rollers and other short ranged weapons in the side alleys of Port Mackarel so hard :(

GGs!

NotLiquid

I woke up to half my Twitter feed having fun with Rainmaker and the other being absolutely salty about it.

What do people here think?

Top Bottom