• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Totakeke

Well I did managed to do it.
WVW69iSo2Csq8U9Rmi

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkXK40-Eg

Rainmaker made it easy to get the last few wins. And Jeff, I will find you and splat you.

Awesome, grats.

atr0cious

Most people I know use Elgato HD. Probably one of the best ones you can get right now. I've used Hauppauge personally for the last three years and it's worked out fine, but since mine is older I only get 1080i on it.
I've seen nothing but issues with the elgato so far from Azure, like resolution and frame rate, while I've been using an avermedia capture setup that has been overall pretty straight forward.
Can you stream 60FPS on Twitch if you're not some partner or whatever?
Yes.

So playing recon in Saltspray and I had a weird moment where I fired the rainmaker at the wall you should be able to paint and it didn't paint it first time. Must be a certain angle it fails at.

Also this is what happens if you persist in trying to play bumper brushes with the shielded rainmaker:
WVW69iSs_S0Q7u3h4I

Same applies to trying to run it over with a roller (pushback and small damage). I forgot to test Kraken but I've heard that breaks the shield quick.

GooeyHeat

Rainmaker is easily my new favorite ranked mode.

One thing I like about it is that it leaves you free to use your squiddy (kiddy) mobility more than any other ranked mode. Splat Zones forces you to hang around a specific area, while standing on the tower in Tower Control means you're mostly still apart from the movement of the tower itself.
With the Rainmaker, though, everyone is free to swim, and so the game moves at a faster pace with more options. You can bring the Rainmaker over multiple paths, while you can only bring the tower from Tower Control over one.

It's real nice. Make it rain.

Razmos

Rainmaker on Saltspray rig is fucking awful.

The distance is far too short, the layout is annoying, and it's far too easy to spawn camp, which my team has been destroyed by twice in a row now

Wow, didn't even know that Rainmaker was going to be released. Just finished moving but still don't have a TV so I can't play it yet, though, but I really look forward to it based on what I see.

I really wish the numbers of player was malleable without causing lag (+4 players per team). That'd mean we could easily get variants of the modes (two towers, two rainmakers [basically a CTF]..., Turf War with more than 2 teams...)

J@hranimo

Banned
I really wish the numbers of player was malleable without causing lag (+4 players per team). That'd mean we could easily get variants of the modes (two towers, two rainmakers [basically a CTF]..., Turf War with more than 2 teams...)

Splatoon 2 and the power of the NX(?) awaits.

Also been reading a bunch of reactions this morning, the opinions are that mixed on rainmaker?

WALKMAN04

WVW69iSo2Csq8U9Rmi

Rainmaker made it easy to get the last few wins. And Jeff, I will find you and splat you.

I think there's a glitch with the suction bomb in this mode. I kept getting delayed kills when my bomb went off ages ago.
There's something similar, a Discord room. It's a text/voice chat room we use to set up squads, private rooms, and etc. the details are in the second post of the thread.
Congrats on the 99, I still haven't touched S+ yet, still at 30. Is it the same or worse than S in terms of points. Also based on the map rotation this was done during the first rotation that rainmaker was out, why did you wait to post lol, unless they repeated the rotation.

Side note: Tower control is still the best mode, although I haven't played enough rainmaker yet but tower control is just too good.

Splatoon 2 and the power of the NX(?) awaits.

Also been reading a bunch of reactions this morning, the opinions are that mixed on rainmaker?

I love me some Rainmaker. Had a quad kill when I blew up the rainmaker shield lol. Having run speed up helps. This and Splat Zone are my favorite Ranked modes.

DaBoss

Thanks everyone.
That quad kill, holy shit.
Just look at this killer... what are you waiting to invest in a capture card and stream? We'd be there with the popcorns and stuff, congrats Daboss.
lol

My upload speed is not good enough for streaming. Canadian ISPs suck.

And I already do have a cap card, but an old one that uses composite cables.
Congrats on the 99, I still haven't touched S+ yet, still at 30. Is it the same or worse than S in terms of points. Also based on the map rotation this was done during the first rotation that rainmaker was out, why did you wait to post lol, unless they repeated the rotation.
Up until S+40 (I think, I don't remember) you get +3/-6. Afterwards, it is +2/-6 up until S+80. At S+80 and onwards, it becomes +2/-8.

I wanted to go to bed and put my computer to sleep already. I guess I could have used my phone, but I was tired.

Vecks

The rainmaker matches we had last night in private battles were really fun. I enjoy this mode the best so far, at least when my rank is not on the line.

All you S+ players sticking to squads to not lose rank are going to make the rules change. I could see something like automatic rank dropping happening if you're not gained or lost points in a while or just doing a Pokemon and resetting ranks every few months (but the first few days of this are brutal for everyone involved). Maybe peak rank could be shown somewhere as well.

I assume the spirit of the rule was you don't have to worry about losing rank when having fun with friends rather than using friends as a safety net for a Spyke farm.

Not quite two tower but I'm reminded of this monstrosity:
https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/632041396782788608 said:
That was a failed hack attempt to get into rainmaker early, the recon as you can see is pretty messed up

WALKMAN04

Thanks everyone.

That quad kill, holy shit.

lol

My upload speed is not good enough for streaming. Canadian ISPs suck.

And I already do have a cap card, but an old one that uses composite cables.

Up until S+40 (I think, I don't remember) you get +3/-6. Afterwards, it is +2/-6 up until S+80. At S+80 and onwards, it becomes +2/-8.

I wanted to go to bed and put my computer to sleep already. I guess I could have used my phone, but I was tired.
Pretty much the same thing, except the beginning points are less I guess. The subtractions might be a little harsher as well I think S gave you -6 past 80. I might try when tower control is back in rotation, probably my best bet.

StAidan

The rainmaker matches we had last night in private battles were really fun. I enjoy this mode the best so far, at least when my rank is not on the line.

Yeah, great times. I'm glad we have private battles now, I'd like to play Rainmaker in ranked but getting that initial introduction to the new mode was terrific.

J@hranimo

Banned
I love me some Rainmaker. Had a quad kill when I blew up the rainmaker shield lol. Having run speed up helps. This and Splat Zone are my favorite Ranked modes.

That's what's up lol. I just saw some who I guess weren't familiar with the fact that all you can do is run and swim in ink with the rainmaker. Can't wait to get the chance to try it myself.

Naar

only nintendo makes a mode were communication is critical and not add voice chat and dumps you with randoms

sigh

Violet_0

Banned
let it be known that Red and Heng are too lazy to carry the rainmaker themselves

also, I tried to carry it to the enemy spawn point for maximum insult in the GAF room last night but my team wouldn't have it

noshten

only nintendo makes a mode were communication is critical and not add voice chat and dumps you with randoms

sigh

Voice chat won't help you much if you are playing with randoms because chances are you'd be playing with at least a couple of Japanese players unless they are having their Splatfest.
They just need to add voice chat for squads/private battles.

I still think the main thing hampering Splatoon is a lack of spectator mode and easy editing of matches so you could post them on Youtube.

L95

Well I'm back at B40 after getting a ton of disconnects yesterday. I noticed that me ignoring everyone and just rollin' to the enemy base/volcano-thing is pretty effective lol

Heng

let it be known that Red and Heng are too lazy to carry the rainmaker themselves

also, I tried to carry it to the enemy spawn point for maximum insult in the GAF room last night but my team wouldn't have it
What? I carried it multiple times last night, but towards the end I felt it was better to let someone else carry it because I would die after taking 3 steps.

Grats Daboss, I can't even get S+. ._.

Jims

I think I like Saltspray Rig the most on Tower Control and Rainmaker. The painting modes always lead to a big bottleneck at the top, but it's cool how much action the bottom areas get in the other two modes. Rainmaker, in particular, seems really awesome on the map... Have seen a lot of games where both teams are stubbornly pushing the Rainmaker through the bottom section, but have seen other games where the team resets it and goes over the top area and back down again. That last push is really difficult for this map, though.

In a scenario where we're holding a lead with under a minute left, I kind of want to try taking the Rainmaker all the way to the top corner of the Rig. Don't know if that would be a good idea or just really annoying to do.

WVW69iSo2Csq8U9Rmi

I think there's a glitch with the suction bomb in this mode. I kept getting delayed kills when my bomb went off ages ago.
There's something similar, a Discord room. It's a text/voice chat room we use to set up squads, private rooms, and etc. the details are in the second post of the thread.

:p picking on the lesser ranks are ya? And yes you're right, i've been insta-splatted by suction bombs that were no where near me.

I still think the main thing hampering Splatoon is a lack of spectator mode and easy editing of matches so you could post them on Youtube.

Spectator mode is all I'm really waiting for. Voice chat is great for some modes (pretty critical in Splatzones imo) but most of the game's modes don't require it since the landscape changes so quickly and Discord is a great alternative when we need it.

It doesn't excuse Nintendo for not at least adding it in private matches but if I had to choose one I'd take spectating matches while I wait. It would be extra awesome if you can switch perspective to each player like in MK8 spectator mode too.
I noticed this last night while using the rapid blaster. I threw a desperation suction bomb down at my feet while I was getting rushed down and then on the kill cam I saw the player that splatted me get killed by my bomb after he left the area
:D

When you approach the enemy spawn from the right half of the map, there's a bunch of blocks which you can climb on and use those to jump up to the next level of the map. If you make the jump it instantly cuts the counter down from around 65 to 25.

And yes, I have had 1 KO on Bluefin
in a 3v4

This is way faster than the 2 side paths, yet I haven't seen anyone using it

Also you can't pick the Rainmaker then go back in your base to camp, the spawn shield will prevent you to enter.
Thanks for the tip!

I woke up to half my Twitter feed having fun with Rainmaker and the other being absolutely salty about it.

What do people here think?
After 50 hours I can say its my favorite mode. :)

Ahnez

Well, personally I don't care about my rank..

I don't think it means much, considering how random this game can be :p

Normally, I just play ranked to get money lol

Well... we have physicians and surgeons who can help you with that. Though I think its fairly expensive.

lol

braves01

Banned
I think I like Saltspray Rig the most on Tower Control and Rainmaker. The painting modes always lead to a big bottleneck at the top, but it's cool how much action the bottom areas get in the other two modes. Rainmaker, in particular, seems really awesome on the map... Have seen a lot of games where both teams are stubbornly pushing the Rainmaker through the bottom section, but have seen other games where the team resets it and goes over the top area and back down again. That last push is really difficult for this map, though.

In a scenario where we're holding a lead with under a minute left, I kind of want to try taking the Rainmaker all the way to the top corner of the Rig. Don't know if that would be a good idea or just really annoying to do.

I liked Saltspray rainmaker the best, too. Lots of avenues you can run with once you get the rainmaker, at least near the bottom ranks where I am. I had one great one where I grabbed the rainmaker from near the starting point jumped off the elevator to the lower level, and swam up the inside wall around the tank and ended the match untouched, all in about 10-15 seconds.

Totakeke

Is there any other map that's as good as Kelp Dome in rainmaker? So many paths to choose from. So many opportunities to just sneak through enemy lines.

Violet_0

Banned
What? I carried it multiple times last night, but towards the end I felt it was better to let someone else carry it because I would die after taking 3 steps.

Grats Daboss, I can't even get S+. ._.

well alright, but Red totally didn't pick the rainmaker up on purpose
on several occasions I watched him standing next to it gleefully splatting any fools who dared to come near it, using it as some sort of bait :p

Top Bottom