• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Crayolan

I woke up to half my Twitter feed having fun with Rainmaker and the other being absolutely salty about it.

What do people here think?

It takes a bit of time to learn what strategies are dominant in the mode, but once you do it's a lot of fun. Being the one who places the rainmaker in the pedestal and getting shield kills are pretty satisfying.

Kelp Dome is terrible in this mode though. Not that it's good in any mode, but it's especially shit in this one.

Jintor

it's really amazing. you can't be a lone wolf on rainmaker the way you can on other modes, but it's not bound by a track either like paylo- tower control, so it's a bit more freeform. We were have a devil of a time just endlessly grinding in bluefin against the right entrance, so when I grabbed the rainmaker I had noticed earlier that there was a straight up path to the left entrance that nobody had bothered covering up, so I got all the way there in a flash.

The worst rainmaker matches are where everybody wants to play with the rainmaker rather than support the rainmaker. Makes it easy to get an entire team wiped (as you all cluster in the same place).

Latency might be a deciding factor on enjoyment I feel (and give to others see my earlier example of a lagged KO).

I'm watching a Japanese streamer (http://www.twitch.tv/ferret_splat) as they don't talk.

I saw an interesting scenario play out. Shielded rainmaker shield is on the top of a ledge. Hanging on the ledge just out of blast radius range and try to splat the person as the come down. Didn't quite work out but an interesting tactic.

Also I just saw they suicide with the rainmaker (when it was near their goal) and it put the rainmaker back in the centre. This is contrary to reports that it puts it on the ledge you were last standing on. I'm thinking there is something left to be learned here. Wait they just did again nearer the enemy base (a grate mistake :p) and it was on the ledge they were last standing on.

I think it means suiciding will put it in the best position for you.

Let's see here, I either try the mall and camp and lose my A+ now, or wait till later and lose it then? Either way this mode is shit to me. /has not won a single ranked match since getting on.

Eh screw it, it's just a rank.

NotLiquid

The "To Me" command actually helped our team when pushed into overtime.

We'd been pushing on Bluefin usually going through the extended pathway on the longest grate near the ending but when it went into overtime I kept spamming the To Me command on the shortcut through the climbable wall, and because of that our team mates pushed onwards to that pathway instead and managed to win in overtime.

I have to say, I'm indifferent towards Bluefin but it's a really interesting map in Rainmaker.

Hatchtag

Banned
Not a fan of rainmaker in randoms. Might be more enjoyable in Squad mode, but I wouldn't know yet.

Four hour rotation is even more of a fucking terrible idea now that there's three modes, too. They really need to change that, especially as the game keeps getting more content.

Crayolan

Rainmaker is such an awesome mode.

SUCH an awesome mode.

Best game keeps getting best-er, and I'm still a scrub. Imagine when everyone here's in their 20XX final forms.

PogChamp

Well damn, I missed these. I thought the hype part of the second match was me walking into their spawn so quickly with the rainmaker for the comeback. That triple snipe was awesome.

Would the disruptor be a good weapon for Rainmaker do you think?

I haven't tried my Custom Splattershot Jr yet, but I imagine the disruptor would be great for stalling enemy rainmaker carriers. Considering how slow the carrier moves normally a disruptor will probably put them at a total stand-still.

Razmos

Do squids need sleep?
Perhaps they are Vampire Squid.
Also holy god that's a good idea for Squidoween

Lmao, my last Rainmaker ranked game started with only 3 people on my side, and all 4 on the opposing side.

I passed it off as a failure straight away thinking there's no way we could win.

But we held our own for the entire match and then got a knockout. amazing! :p
On a related note, the Killer Wail is amazing on Rainmaker, for killing, for breaking the shield on the rainmaker and also for preventing the enemy from picking it up.

Yazoo91

Neo Member
Loving Rainmaker so far, slamming it down to win is so satisfying. Maybe I'll finally climb out of A- with this mode!

Played some great matches with randoms this morning to be fair, though played one match where none of my teammates evidently wanted to hold the rainmaker as the three of them busted the shield as I was approaching then just stood there... At least start clearing a path!

Still haven't gotten around to adding some Gaffers, NNID is jkac91 if anyone is looking for more friends :)

Nico_D

Yeah but how do two losses justify stripping me of 26 points when 3 wins only gave me 16? :/

I'm yet to find the right weapon for me in this mode. I feel you need some range but the ground must be inked too. But if also think you'd need bombs.

Yeah, sniper could be optimal probably but I'm not that good with it.

Razmos

I found the Heavy Splatling to be a good weapon for Rainmaker.

Good damage, good coverage, ink wall for offense and defense, Inkstrike for.. everything

I'm yet to find the right weapon for me in this mode. I feel you need some range but the ground must be inked too. But if also think you'd need bombs.

Yeah, sniper could be optimal probably but I'm not that good with it.
The tentatek is probably still A in here.
ranked is designed so that good people have higher ranks, so the further up the tree you go the more it punishes losses
I know but it still hurts.
And back to A+. Sorta getting the hang of it but I don't think I'd seek this out but some matches were very clutch and others were wtf just happened.

Saltmaker mode confirmed. Not really enjoying it too much myself so far, but I feel that I'm starting to get the hang of it.

It kind of came out of the blue though, or was the date known?

NotLiquid

*enters thread wanting to post about Rainmaker finally getting me into the A-Ranks*

Fuck Rainmaker. That is all.

tZOS8.gif

JonnyKong

Like the other ranked modes, I love Rainmaker when it's going my way and I get a good team, hate it when I don't.

I wonder where the two base things will be on Salt spray?

Nico_D

The Rainmaker itself is a toy I seem to be too keen to hold and carry. Without actually thinking is this the perfect moment to capture it: is it safe, are the enemies taken care off, is the ground inked. The beginning is basically the same as in the TC, take control of the grounds first. Need to remember that.

I also think one of the grunts should lead with Rainmaker following shortly behind. Other two take of the other route, give suppression fire or - depending on the map - defend Rainmaker's sides and/or back.

I'm not sure either if it makes sense two or more team members shooting out the bubble since then the enemy can surprise them - or kill everybody with a single inkstrike. Maybe two or three watches for enemies while one or two shoots the bubble?

Yeah. For time being.

iBlue

Is there a like a Skype group for this game(or just games in general) ?? i am tired to play with randoms and friends dont even play games..

DaBoss

Well I did managed to do it.
WVW69iSo2Csq8U9Rmi

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkXK40-Eg

Rainmaker made it easy to get the last few wins. And Jeff, I will find you and splat you.

I think there's a glitch with the suction bomb in this mode. I kept getting delayed kills when my bomb went off ages ago.
Is there a like a Skype group for this game(or just games in general) ?? i am tired to play with randoms and friends dont even play games..
There's something similar, a Discord room. It's a text/voice chat room we use to set up squads, private rooms, and etc. the details are in the second post of the thread.

I still don't know how to feel about Rainmaker. I've only played around five matches before sleeping but I did have fun. It did suck getting on a team that refused to support the rainmaker and it was pretty funny seeing people take the wrong path to the goal.

Overall, I think I'll prefer this mode to the other ones. I love Capture the Flag and I'm glad a form of it exists in this game.

Rize_21

Well I did managed to do it.
WVW69iSo2Csq8U9Rmi

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkXK40-Eg

Rainmaker made it easy to get the last few wins. And Jeff, I will find you and splat you.

I think there's a glitch with the suction bomb in this mode. I kept getting delayed kills when my bomb went off ages ago.
There's something similar, a Discord room. It's a text/voice chat room we use to set up squads, private rooms, and etc. the details are in the second post of the thread.

Just look at this killer... what are you waiting to invest in a capture card and stream? We'd be there with the popcorns and stuff, congrats Daboss.

NotLiquid

Getting the Rainmaker is kinda like going through one of those huge Indiana Jones-esque gauntlets because everything is stacked against you from the start.

You not only have to break the shield, but you have to be wary about opponents turning it against you and turning it into a bomb that will kill anything that can reach it (with the exception of a Squelcher/Charger/Splatling since they're long-distance enough to be safe and sometimes capitalize when the opponent think they got the upper hand after breaking the shield since anyone can grab it after it's broken).

Once you actually get it you have to pray to everything that's holy that your team mates will be on point because in spite of it's awesome power, the Rainmaker is easily outflanked and much like the Inkzooka it's not good for covering turf for moving forward. Not only that, but it will self destruct after holding it for too long and you can't get rid of it unless you actually slam it into the enemy container. You can't use your Specials at all either and you move much slower when not in ink. Getting the Rainmaker is a burden that comes with a lollipop. Unlike a traditional CTF mode where you generally have all your tools available for you even after having the flag, having one here is kind of a curse. You've basically confined yourself to an eventual death.

It's easy to feel the allure of picking one up (for one it's the way you win, for two it's a huge powerful weapon and for three it's big and shiny) but I think the trick is to stay patient and know restraint. Even if you're the only one available to pick it up concurrently you need to consider where your enemies might be at present time, which of your team mates is currently present and what weapons you all have.

My personal rule of thumb so far that has mostly worked out for me is if I'm rocking a weapon that has a Kraken special, I try to carry the Rainmaker as little as possible since it's incredibly invaluable when making certain pushes. Most weapons that have the Kraken as well are usually the ones that are defensively oriented or cover a lot of ink, so it balances itself out. If I use a weapon that has a special like the Inkzooka then I don't have any qualms with carrying the thing. But again a lot of it is dependent on what you and your team mates have.

I have to say I've seen quite a deal of people lamenting Triggerfish in this mode but I actually really like it. The nature of the stage means there's two ways to make a push - either through a full frontal assault or through the longer, safer way. I say "safer" because the Rainmaker can actually shoot through the yellow barriers that tend to block most ink weapons, and if the enemy is mounting a defense at the floodgates, it's easy to fire off a Rainmaker shot and decimate them in the narrow pathway. An interesting strategy that my team seemed to adopt once was to distract the enemy team as all three of my team mates had the same idea and rushed the enemy team from the front, which actually seemed to distract the opposition since I was carrying the Rainmaker at the time and went through the longer, safer pathway. Only one person on the other team seemed to notice what was going on but he made his approach really clear so I managed to snuff him out before he even got the chance to mount a defense. Won by a Knockout the moment the round had started and we had gotten the Rainmaker.

NotLiquid

I kind of want to start streaming too. No idea about capture cards though.

Most people I know use Elgato HD. Probably one of the best ones you can get right now. I've used Hauppauge personally for the last three years and it's worked out fine, but since mine is older I only get 1080i on it.

Rize_21

I kind of want to start streaming too. No idea about capture cards though.

I have the Elgato Game Capture HD and it's really easy to use, especially with the software included, it costs around 100 € iirc so you can't go wrong with this( unless you're looking for the 60 fps ones that cost ~ 200€ ). :)

Jintor

Surely rainmaker Mall must have more than one entrance to the goal zone right? I must be missing some extra boxes or something right?!?

Top Bottom