• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

Game, why are there 4 S ranks in this lobby when I'm B+.

Edit: And I stand corrected, easy KO on us in Moray. Mostly because lol matchmaking. >_>

Geg

Yeah I'm still not totally sure how I feel about Rainmaker. I did pretty well in squads with Walkman, Totakeke, and Sendou, but afterwards I joined a private room with Heng, Violet, Red, Greg, and Kevin and got stomped in all but a couple of games.

I definitely just need to play more to figure out what my options and strategies for Rainmaker are. Might switch back to the vanilla Dual Squelcher for it because beakons in this mode are completely useless if your team is on the defensive, while echolocator is extremely useful

nom

I liked Saltspray rainmaker the best, too. Lots of avenues you can run with once you get the rainmaker, at least near the bottom ranks where I am. I had one great one where I grabbed the rainmaker from near the starting point jumped off the elevator to the lower level, and swam up the inside wall around the tank and ended the match untouched, all in about 10-15 seconds.

I played a team that after getting a decent run, decided to just camp out the rest of the game at the back on the swinging crane...after that I'm not a fan

braves01

Banned
I played a team that after getting a decent run, decided to just camp out the rest of the game at the back on the swinging crane...after that I'm not a fan

I had that experience at the Skatepark actually. They got a lead a one point, then just camped on top of the pillar at the center of the map, which can be a pretty tough place to regain control of. It made me think the rainmaker should start taking damage if he doesn't move a certain amount after a given time.

Azure J

well alright, but Red totally didn't pick the rainmaker up on purpose
on several occasions I watched him standing next to it gleefully splatting any fools who dared to come near it, using it as some sort of bait :p

This is actually a very legit tactic, even moreso than using the Tower as bait since anytime a shielded Rainmaker is in play, it makes for some silly interactions with people if you have high power explosives, a bomb rush super handy or a weapon that does enough damage to consistently reset the shield when opponents are shooting at it. In the first two scenarios, you can either trigger explosion hitboxes that will kill opponents based on your toss arc. In the second scenario specifically, it's ridiculously easy to get multikills if the other team is antsy and anywhere within a five mile radius (it feels like) as you lob splat/suction/burst bombs at the shield and overwhelm the damage threshold in three seconds triggering the shield break. In the final situation, it's good (especially for chargers) to just hang back and shoot at it while your team members respawn or regroup. It's a pretty wonderful stall tactic if you have a good position to chill in and harass them from.

AdanVC

I love the tactic of killing inklings on the big tower in Blackbelly Skatepark of going to the top and as soon as an enemy climbs up there I leave a bomb there and when the enemy quickly reacts and jumps to avoid the explosion, I jump on the same direction as they and shoot them! Every time I tried that works flawlessly.

Nico_D

I think - after 2,5 hours of practice - I'm getting a hang of the Rainmaker. I love it now after the shock has vanished.

Thanks for the games, had loads of fun!

edit: Oh, and opposed to other modes, so far I have liked all (okay, still not Underpass) the maps in Rainmaker. Somehow they work so differently. Though Triggerfish is the best. But I like even Kelp Dome.

Azure J

I love the tactic of killing inklings on the big tower in Blackbelly Skatepark of going to the top and as soon as an enemy climbs up there I leave a bomb there and when the enemy quickly reacts and jumps to avoid the explosion, I jump on the same direction as they and shoot them! Every time I tried that works flawlessly.

I have something similar I use for both Kelp Dome and Blackbelly as a charger. Basically, after letting one person from my team in towards the middle and clearing out anyone immediately in the line of my sight, I'll try to line up a shot by keeping the laser under the middle platform (Kelp) or at the apex of the tower from the middle right most cover wall (Blackbelly). Chances are the enemy team will get frisky and crack open the rainmaker shield first so once I get that large audio/visual cue, I wait for someone to grab the rainmaker then pop them immediately.

It's so satisfying. :lol

I think - after 2,5 hours of practice - I'm getting a hang of the Rainmaker. I love it now after the shock has vanished.

Thanks for the games, had loads of fun!

edit: Oh, and opposed to other modes, so far I have liked all the maps in Rainmaker. Somehow they work so differently. Though Triggerfish is best.

I have to agree, with the salt gone i'm now ahead of where I was earlier. Though it's still a steep learning curve for me at least. Though my last matches we treated it more like tower and didn't allow them to beat our distance. Sometimes that's the better play than going for a knock out, getting team wiped and being reverse ko'd.

Nico_D

I have to agree, with the salt gone i'm now ahead of where I was earlier. Though it's still a steep learning curve for me at least. Though my last matches we treated it more like tower and didn't allow them to beat our distance. Sometimes that's the better play than going for a knock out, getting team wiped and being reverse ko'd.

There's a very nice rhythm to the mode. It's so different. The tower goes where the tower wants to go but Rainmaker's movements are ours to decide.

I wonder what the normal rotation cycle will be.

Azure J

I forgot to mention it in the thread but I'm going to reroll my Tentatek Sun Visor with 3 Ink Saver Subs soonish but before I do so, I want GAF to try ordering it and getting a perfect copy for themselves, either for their own use or for preservation's sake. I'll try wearing it in more battles for people to get their hands on.

I also have the sushi chef top with Quick Respawn main and 2 Quick Respawn Subs. I haven't unlocked the third sub yet but here's hoping for some RNG silliness.

Oh yeah, I actually did get a Rainmaker KO on Bluefin on the longer paths last night. A teammate with the Rainmaker and I worked our way up the rightmost path and managed to off a couple people at long range. We had a second of safety, so I painted a path from further behind them straight up the side of the goal and they took it and gave me a booyah for it. :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People complain about laggy rollers, but laggy snipers are far more annoying since you don't even see them hitting you.

MrPanic

People complain about laggy rollers, but laggy snipers are far more annoying since you don't even see them hitting you.
It's anything that 1-shots really, by the time you see them trying to attack you're already dead on their screen.

Laggy chargers bother me, but there are so many ways to hide the laser and aim quickly, so I've just become much more cautious when I notice any enemy charger.

Do movement speed ups affect the rainmaker?
Yes, but the debuff while holding the rainmaker is very strong. I don't think it's possible to completely negate the debuff with perks.

DaBoss

Yes they are :p

And those are for lvls 16~20

Between 4 and 9, its only 0.1%

It would be nice if the odds are changed above level 20.. But I don't think they are..
So I wasn't crazy about reading that the odds increase as your level increases either. I wonder if they increased the odds to include the levels past 20.

Yes they are :p

And those are for lvls 16~20

Between 4 and 9, its only 0.1%

It would be nice if the odds are changed above level 20.. But I don't think they are..
So I wasn't crazy about reading that the odds increase as your level increases either. I wonder if they increased the odds to include the levels past 20.
Uh how was this information determined? Is there code or a table that was datamined which says so?

Hackworth

Getting really sick of scoring more than two or three of my teammates combined in turf war.
Seriously, how is it that the scores can so consistently be ~1000 to 800 for my opponents and 500 to 300 for my teammates? Matchmaking is busted.

On the upside, Rainmaker is amazing.

DaBoss

You're level 40 now. Are you having better luck?
No clue, will have to try some orders in the next few days.
Uh how was this information determined? Is there code or a table that was datamined which says so?
I have no idea. I just remember reading it somewhere and I think it was said to come from a guide or something. I tried to find a source, but I couldn't. I know that the Japanese wiki is at least more trustworthy than the English ones.

ChrisD

Getting really sick of scoring more than two or three of my teammates combined in turf war.
Seriously, how is it that the scores can so consistently be ~1000 to 800 for my opponents and 500 to 300 for my teammates? Matchmaking is busted.

On the upside, Rainmaker is amazing.

Do keep the +300 win bonus in mind when calculating scores.
There will still be games that are true to what you're saying.

Top Bottom