• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Razmos

Huh, just saw this on tumblr (also, note to self, never search for Splatoon on tumblr again)
tumblr_nt9goxZyBB1qkxzp7o1_1280.jpg

Is that a weapon that exists? what map is that?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I know tumblr is infamous for bad image quality but jesus.

USE THE BROWSER FOR CLEAN SCREENSHOTS!

Even Miiverse's new screenshot album if you must.

Splatoon's JP twitter account just put out some art for the next Japanese splatfest.

CMrXowRUEAEZQAV.jpg

CMrXQJHUkAA9Z94.jpg

CMasAenVAAA7eBC.jpg

DEEPEST LORE
Seeing actual official artwork* gives me hope they will do this one outside of Japan. Oh who am I kidding America is so getting Soda vs Pop while Europe will get something like Tea vs coffee.

*-(which some feel contradicts that piece of art that implies inklings don't get humanoid form until they are older than the young Callie and Marie we see there and in sunken scroll 17)

That picture raises the question: What Ink do they use for writing? Also, Inklings have toes?
The in-game models are a lie (just like Fire Emblem Awakening was):
Not my screenshot...apparently unstable internet can result in characters appearing in the plaza like that.

Splatoon's JP twitter account just put out some art for the next Japanese splatfest.

CMrXowRUEAEZQAV.jpg

CMrXQJHUkAA9Z94.jpg

CMasAenVAAA7eBC.jpg

DEEPEST LORE

The lore can always go deeper

Inoue: “The world of Splatoon takes place 12,000 years after the present time and the Squid Sisters are those who receive messages from 12,000 years ago. Like there would be a discussion ‘rice or bread?’ in current time, and those words fly to another planet and bounce back for them to receive. Those divine messages come from kami-sama [kami means a god, sama is a honorific like -san].”

Nogami: “Kami-sama is written as ‘paper’ when using kanji [kami has several meanings, two of which are a god and paper], so the topic of Splatfest comes as a fax-like paper. That’s where the name kami-sama comes from (laughs).”

On the music of Octo Valley and Turf War

Minegishi: “I created all of them exactly as something similar to techno. First I thought to completely change the musical direction so it would be easy to recognize that they are different from the types of songs used in Turf War. Octo Valley has a feeling of being alone behind closed doors, even with Cuttlefish giving orders, and that is in contrast with noisy and hectic sports-like image of Turf War. Also it’s like the Octo side broadcasts their music in order to control the many Octarians. DJ Octavio and his direct subordinates compose the music. Octarians somehow cross talk into the protagonist’s headphones. The ‘zazzazzazza’ rhythm gives an image of controlled Octarians marching and that mechanical feeling is put together in techno.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/splat...n-more-on-the-squid-sisters-and-other-topics/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well it's interesting to note that the game has shown future content before:

N6iQdBO.png

In this sunken scroll we see items that were included in the recent gear update.

So that weapon being a hint towards a future weapon isn't out of the realms of possibilities. It's one of those funny quirks people noticed early on and I think just forgot about.

Razmos

So wait, the Squid Sisters are something akin to being shrine maidens/priestesses, as well as being idols
and secret agents
?

Japan.jpg

Geg

Fuck that, pick your battles. There's no reason to put yourself at a disadvantage by playing in a mode or mode+map rotation you know you're no good at

It's not:
WVW69iTU35QpnFyM-h

I compared it to every weapon we have, we don't have it yet.

It's been in the alley since day one but I never realized that it wasn't one of the chargers since I haven't spent much time with them. I wouldn't read too much into it though, it seems like it's just a background prop for the shooting range.

The thing that made me feel dumb was that I only noticed a couple weeks ago that you can see the main plaza from there since it's apparently the alley right behind the shops.

Nico_D

Fuck that, pick your battles. There's no reason to put yourself at a disadvantage by playing in a mode or mode+map rotation you know you're no good at

As Violet up there told me. I guess I should take the hint and stay away from Splatzones in Port Mackerel and Kelp Dome. If I'm ever to reach that bloody S.

Razmos

The thing that made me feel dumb was that I only noticed a couple weeks ago that you can see the main plaza from there since it's apparently the alley right behind the shops.
On this note, does anyone else enjoy taking the time to recon stages and just take in all the environments? It's really cool because you can get a good sense of Inkopolis and how it is laid out, because you can usually get a good view of the city.

Someone far smarter than me has probably already started mapping out the city and where certain maps take place.

It also gives you time to take in some of the cooler details like the Wacky Waving Inflatable Tentacle Flailing Tube Squids on the Skatepark map, you can see some skateboards too on some of the halfpipes.

phanphare

Banned
As Violet up there told me. I guess I should take the hint and stay away from Splatzones in Port Mackerel and Kelp Dome. If I'm ever to reach that bloody S.

I just stopped caring about my rank haha. I like all the ranked modes and I like them on pretty much all of the maps. if I have to stay in B hell forever because I play too many maps and modes than so be it. maybe one day I'll grind up to S+ but right now I'd rather just take it all in and have fun.

69wpm

I just stopped caring about my rank haha. I like all the ranked modes and I like them on pretty much all of the maps. if I have to stay in B hell forever because I play too many maps and modes than so be it. maybe one day I'll grind up to S+ but right now I'd rather just take it all in and have fun.

Same here. I made it to A+ ages ago, go down to A- sometimes and can get back to A+. If I get to S fine, if not, who freaking cares. I don't know how many S people rank down to A- and get back to S. Not many I believe. They're probably scared shitless do loose their rank.

On this note, does anyone else enjoy taking the time to recon stages and just take in all the environments? It's really cool because you can get a good sense of Inkopolis and how it is laid out, because you can usually get a good view of the city.

Someone far smarter than me has probably already started mapping out the city and where certain maps take place.

It also gives you time to take in some of the cooler details like the Wacky Waving Inflatable Tentacle Flailing Tube Squids on the Skatepark map, you can see some skateboards too on some of the halfpipes.

I wouldn't doubt there's a layout of the city considering all the details in the maps. I think someone mentioned before that the highway going past Moray Towers is the same highway running over the Underpass. Since I started watching Splatoon streams I'm really getting an appreciation for the complexity of the map backgrounds which are very hard to focus on during a match.

MK8 had crazy details like this in the layout of the tracks. You can actually see a few of them in distance when driving on RR64.

Nico_D

I just stopped caring about my rank haha. [...] Right now I'd rather just take it all in and have fun.

69wpm said:
If I get to S fine, if not, who freaking cares.

I actually care only because people in B and B+ play so poorly running around like headless chicken that I really can't get much fun out of it - even out of watching them doing all kinds of stupid shit. It just pisses me off. I'm a serious guy and this is a serious matter.

Though good point being, as S you won't be able to get to Ranked either if in any doubt of losing that prescious rank. So you'll have to stay in squad but if you're playing squads anyway, you'll get to choose your playing company regardless of your rank and...

Shit, I think I talked myself over.

phanphare

Banned
I actually care only because people in B and B+ play so poorly running around like headless chicken that I really can't get much fun out of it - even out of watching them doing all kinds of stupid shit. It just pisses me off. I'm a serious guy and this is a serious matter.

Though good point being, as S you won't be able to get to Ranked either if in any doubt of losing that prescious rank. So you'll have to stay in squad but you're playing squads anyway, you'll get to choose your playing company regardless of your rank and...

Shit, I think I talked myself over.

yeah that's true too haha. I do love the unpredictable aspect in terms of finally landing on a good team but sometimes the trade-off of that can be frustrating.

backlot

lol that guy actually fought seriously against his own squad while the Japanese guy stood back and did nothing and the rest of his squad still won

In my experience with the glitch, one guy on the enemy team disconnects and is swapped with one of your teammates. It was probably 3v4 the whole match.

Geg

Welp, transformers is something I completely missed the boat on as a kid and never got into as an adult either

This is going to be a purely Team Callie-based decision

Top Bottom