• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Heng

Look at this fraudulence. Fucking bane of my existence right here
gFR3pen.jpg
I'm sorry Geg...

I'm not sorry

Zing

Banned
I understand where you guys are coming from, but from my experience right now, I don't want to lose S+ points because I'm playing a game mode I don't know yet nor does my team know how to play and I am forced to play squads or not at all.
You want to have S+ rank without actually being tested at all the current game modes? Ideally, your rank would represent your current abilities in the current metagame, not "I hit max rank weeks ago but haven't touched ranked since because I am scared."

WorldStar

Banned
What weapon do you main, which modes are you playing, are you playing in a squad, also how you play the game - those are some of the factors when selecting clothing.
- Certain weapons simply require a different clothing all together, I've never played with tenacity on the charger for example since I don't really focus on getting the special quickly - it's more important to be able to fire more shots or have more powerful half shots.
- Tenacity feels pretty useless in some modes to me.Comeback being the better option since the boost it gives you in deathfests(Suicide on Tower mode, Painmaker mode). Special Charge up's reliable increase in the Special meter might also prove to be a better option in certain cases. Stacking Quick Respawn for Rollers is a very legit option in Tower Control.
- In a good squad your team mates won't spend as much time being dead and thus the ability is pretty useless.
- There could be a personal preferance depending on your playstyle that might not be a meta at the moment - I've seen some pretty weird builds like a dude with 3 Bomb Range up Mains who was throwing suction bombs across the map.

If you are playing with players who have no idea what they are doing and are constantly dying I would recommend tenacity but it won't be enough to turn a game around if you are being so heavily dominated.

So yeah what I recommend you do is tell us what weapon you play and people can recommend types of gear you might want to try. But usually Splatoon is a game there isn't a one fits all clothing unless you are playing a particular weapon that is heavily depending on the bonuses. I have different types of loadouts depending on the weapon I play and the mode being played. I mostly play Roller and Charger for those I have sets of clothing that I vary with depending on which type I'm using. While other weapons I play less with(Oktobrush/Blaster/Bucket) I've not enough information to really provide recommendation about what works. The guns are a mystery to me, since I've barely played them since launch.

idk i change my weapon a lot

currently:

regular battles - aerospray rg
tower - tentatek or bucket
rainmaker - 52 gal deco
splatzone - tentatek, aerospray rg, and 52 gal deco

52 gal deco is starting to grow on me. it matches my play style which is use ninja squid to sneak behind and ambush opponents at very close range

52 gal deco seems like the most devastating close range weapon, no?

rollers might be better at one hit kills, but the rate of fire allow you to take out like 3 players in seconds

WALKMAN04

You want to have S+ rank without actually being tested at all the current game modes? Ideally, your rank would represent your current abilities in the current metagame, not "I hit max rank weeks ago but haven't touched ranked since because I am scared."
I would like to not risk the 4 points left I have in S+ ranked due to me not knowing how to play something yet so I'd rather not play it, when I get a higher cushion then yeah I will play any ranked mode, I would understand if people would want to do the same, there are people who don't have access to playing squads with friends so easily as we do and therefore just don't play because they are scared to derank. Also rank isn't the issue its that some people may not be able to play a mode that they like at all because they are never around when that mode is available and they don't have 7 friends to play with at anytime like we do. They need to change the rotation system because it's perfectly possible that someone is only able to play on weekends at night and they were only able to play splat zones the whole weekend because it just happened to be on. That's the problem, not for us who play on a regular basis, but for those who don't. Also you said they don't even play the game that's why they have no say maybe it's because they are tired of playing splat zones every time they get chance to play.

Doorman

I've come to the conclusion that I have to use Turf Wars for leveling up equipment and only use my best equipment for the ranked battles. I can win five in a row as easily as I can lose five in a row. It would probably be more fun if I had a team. Getting high in ranked mode is tough.

Turf Wars lately have become my testing ground to beta new gear-loadout concepts. I don't tend to have things fully-leveled or rolled the way I'd prefer on a "finished" set, but it gives me a taste of how a certain build might handle in real movement and combat situations, at least enough to figure out if I can get a good feel from it or not. A lot of times I've been finding that things sound a lot better in my head than they do in practice, lol.

I'm trying to get into a habit of taking turf wars way less seriously than I have been, using them for testing is the right idea but I've been taking my scores and K:D a little too seriously as the final barometer of whether a weapon or particular loadout is any good for me or not, instead of considering the actual feel of the weapon and whether I can actually go into encounters with the mindset proper to my initial plan. Some weapons I'd dismissed originally I've started to come back around on with a different approach, while others I want to like but I just can't seem to perform properly with.

As always, though, what I really need to do is stop experimenting with new stuff so damn much and actually just play ranked mode more. :p

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

I've made way to many commitments.

I really wish there was a MVP designation or something in this game. I can score twice what anyone else does in a game, but it doesn't mean anything point wise.

I really hope for some sort of assist tally in the future. That can be implemented in a couple of ways. But if you hit someone as your teammate does that should lead to an assist. Or if someone uses your beacon and leads to a splat - Assist.

ChrisD

On the Damage Up discussion on last page, anybody know how many Defense Ups (Main or Sub) I would need to screw over .Gal users? Is there some way I can make them have to four-shot me without Damage Up? :eek:

Crisium

52 gal normally takes 2 shots. With 1 Defense Up Main it takes 3. Of course every Attack Up they have nullifies it. IIRC you cannot make 96 gal take 3 shots.

ryechu

damn. i never knew how ugly the splash goggles are. I assumed they would be similar to the snorkels. Even if i end up getting 4 def up on this i dunno if i want it.

ChrisD

52 gal normally takes 2 shots. With 1 Defense Up Main it takes 3. Of course every Attack Up they have nullifies it. IIRC you cannot make 96 gal take 3 shots.

Thanks for the info.
The 96 is what I see most, so I guess there's not much sense in me trolling around with loads of Defense.

Thanks for the info.
The 96 is what I see most, so I guess there's not much sense in me trolling around with loads of Defense.
A fuckton of Defense lets you troll E-Liters who stack lots of Damage Ups to get away with half-charges. At 3 mains you also make a lot of common rapid-fire weapons take another hit to splat you. You also reduce the OHKO range of rollers with that shit, which is what makes me call anybody who uses 3 Defense Up mains or the equivalent of such a giant douchebag.

Geg

I think I'm best at rainmaker in 3v3 games. Full 4v4 is too chaotic for me to be able to keep up with anything going on

Or maybe that's just because I keep playing against Red

Azure J

You're making a huge mistake

The last few days of Splatoon, I've watched my brother become more salty playing and trying to get above S 89 than we've ever been together when playing fighters.

If you know anything about us playing fighters, shit gets REAL and fast.

Forkball

Are there any rumors of pure gampad play or a 3ds relase? Splatoon still seems like the best game I never played.

They're keeping it Gamepad only due to gyro controls and the map (though they could easily just put the map on a button). Nothing about a 3DS version at all. I don't see a new Splatoon game coming until the NX.

ChrisD

A fuckton of Defense lets you troll E-Liters who stack lots of Damage Ups to get away with half-charges. At 3 mains you also make a lot of common rapid-fire weapons take another hit to splat you. You also reduce the OHKO range of rollers with that shit, which is what makes me call anybody who uses 3 Defense Up mains or the equivalent of such a giant douchebag.

You're making me want to do it with all the pros, then making me feel bad about thinking about it. D:

The only solution is to instead make the Run Speed Up build posted above because that * looks like stupid fun.

Forkball

The Inkstrike and squid jumping are also Gamepad-dependent.

For squid jumping, when you bring up the map via a button, you tap another button correlating to your teammate and jumps to them. Instrike could be done via activating it bringing up the map, and using the joystick to maneuver around and then hitting a button to launch. It's more cumbersome for sure, but future Nintendo hardware might not have a touch screen so Splatoon needs to figure out some alternative.

Violet_0

Banned
had some fun ranked battles with Red today, first time I actually got to play with a Gaffer in solo rank
unfortunately (for my rank), he was mostly in the other team

Ansatz

Before I reply are you talking about the dynamo, the rollers, or both? Because the dynamo isn't a short range weapon.

Dynamo is a special case I'm excluding as it doesn't function like the other rollers, I mean the playstyle vs a regular roller differs greatly.

Also when you reply think about stages like Arowana Mall Splat Zones, it's the easiest map to demonstrate what I mean, although the general idea applies to many more map/mode combinations.

What are rollers supposed to do here that benefits the team? The other team can simply focus on the objective without having to get in range for a roller or any low range weapon for that matter.

Wiseblade

For squid jumping, when you bring up the map via a button, you tap another button correlating to your teammate and jumps to them. Instrike could be done via activating it bringing up the map, and using the joystick to maneuver around and then hitting a button to launch. It's more cumbersome for sure, but future Nintendo hardware might not have a touch screen so Splatoon needs to figure out some alternative.
What about squid beacons? Scrolling through a list of those would get tedious, fast.

I have a feeling the slower swim speed when holding the rainmaker means you won't be able to take it there. If you could though and being splatted while holding it left it there (rather than throwing it back in bounds) you could create a stalemate (or rather almost an auto win if you get it first and in the lead, I say almost as oppose team would have to obtain it and suicide to reset it).

Violet_0

Banned
Don't say you got there already!

lots of Gaffers have reached S already

as for what to do when you want to get to S+, prepare for a long an maddening grind. Ideally you only play on rotations that do you well at, and leave the room after almost every match to cut down on the risk of losing games

Razmos

That picture raises the question: What Ink do they use for writing? Also, Inklings have toes?

also does anyone here actually use the Point Sensor sub weapon? I completely forgot it existed until I saw someone use it in ranked yesterday

Top Bottom