• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Ansatz

Essentially it comes down to their low range of attack. The roller will be dependent on the others making opening plays when the game is in a neutral state. If their teammates succeed in creating space for the roller, only then can they shine. That won't happen very often though against teams with no roller.

noshten

I had no idea, I've not even seen someone try this in all my matches - but I'm guessing soon enough I will witness tons of S/S+ players do this in Splatzones. I think even if Nintendo knows this they shouldn't patch it since it's a risky move(you can either fall off or be vulnerable during the preparation and jump itself. It can certainly turn games on Splatzones. All the sudden my Roller feels like it can do a lot better on that map during Splatzones.

Jims

I had no idea, I've not even seen someone try this in all my matches - but I'm guessing soon enough I will witness tons of S/S+ players do this in Splatzones. I think even if Nintendo knows this they shouldn't patch it since it's a risky move(you can either fall off or be vulnerable during the preparation and jump itself. It can certainly turn games on Splatzones. All the sudden my Roller feels like it can do a lot better on that map during Splatzones.

I dunno... Camp Triggerfish feel specifically designed for the two sides to be almost completely separated. The lowering gates, the rope catwalk, and the numerous grates (for poking the other side) seem designed with this mentality in mind. The technique makes the catwalk entrance feel kind of redundant, in particular. I wouldn't be surprised in Nintendo patched it in the next update.

It's a pretty nifty trick, though. Looking forward to trying it next time it comes up in Splat Zones or Turf Wars.

Jintor

eSports splatoon should just be rainmaker. Squid Rugby is freeform enough to be more interesting than either tower or splat zones. Let's not even talk about turf wars lol where snipers and wails have a significant disadvantage

Regiruler

eSports splatoon should just be rainmaker. Squid Rugby is freeform enough to be more interesting than either tower or splat zones. Let's not even talk about turf wars lol where snipers and wails have a significant disadvantage

I don't need your misplayed pity.

Gsnap

I kind of agree. I think turf wars and rainmaker are the two most interesting modes for competitive play. Rainmaker takes tower control and makes it better basically.

phanphare

Banned

if there's one mode that the esports community rallies behind I hope it's turf wars

really want to see competitive turf wars take off

Jims

I kind of agree. I think turf wars and rainmaker are the two most interesting modes for competitive play. Rainmaker takes tower control and makes it better basically.

Starting to wonder if Turf Wars is the mode that is the most difficult to get really good at. I've heard people in the competitive community write it off completely, arguing that a lot of higher-level games just come down to which team gets the triple kill in the last 30 seconds. But I feel like that's like arguing the first 3 quarters of an American football game don't matter because it all comes down to the final drive.

There's so much map awareness needed in Turf Wars. Feels like a different skill set is needed compared to the other modes.

Jintor

Turf wars absolutely has a seperate skillset needed. I just don't like it because it's predicated primarily on multiple smaller one v ones (or one v twos or whatever) rather than a concentrated, constantly moving engagement zone like in ranked modes

Doorman

how can anyone use wails in turf war

no point is important so it's just like randomly shooting rockets into the map

No singular point is important (aside from obvious choke points, anyway), but in the case of something like a turf war, it helps to think of the wail not so much as a tool to try and snipe enemy players with, but as a tool for advancement. Launching a wail into an area guarantees that the enemy will need to vacate that particular spot for a few seconds, and those few seconds can be used for some incredibly handy set-up time when it comes to taking a particularly hotly-contested area. Treat it like you're getting a temporary protective corridor that you can more or less rush through freely and you'll see what a boon that can be in the right places and at the right times. The length of its effect means that you can provide aid to your allies from long-range, so you can help cover teammates' approaches even if you're not that close to them.

Jintor

what i've learned is that i rarely get an opportunity especially in rainmaker to get my special off so all special enhancing powers are roughly useless

Gsnap

what i've learned is that i rarely get an opportunity especially in rainmaker to get my special off so all special enhancing powers are roughly useless

Whaaaaaaaat? Rainmaker is a special fest. I've seen more specials going off at once in rainmaker than any other mode.

i thought gaf liked tenacity. what do most yall prefer as main ability for headgear?

It really depends on the weapon you're using. For something like the Splattershot Pro/.52 or .96 Gal I make sure to have at least one main weapon ink saver. For Splat Zones if I'm using a high rate of fire and short range weapon I like to stack Swim Speed Ups to zip in and out quickly. Most of the abilities unique to the headgear aren't that great for ranked in my experience.

I think I just had my most frustrating hour of Tower Control yet. Started out at A 32, ended up at A- 56 thanks to a player on my team disconnecting in the middle of a match (so -12 instead of -1 for losing), a pop-up error window in the middle of a match when we had it locked down, a complete mismatch by the matchmaking system creating an S/A team against me with B/C+, and general clumsiness on my part on Moray Towers falling to my death trying to get to the tower.

Then on Underpass one player on my team tried spawn camping the enemy when they had the tower well into our territory and their own beakons littering the center. The other team looked at them saying "OK, well, bye" as they just super jumped away. They also spammed "c'mon" the entire time.

Jintor

Also these days I run cold blooded not for any particular purpose but it always makes me feel better than having a giant echolocator icon on me. I miss my Ninja Squid though, I think that always served me better in general situations, but I just hate echolocators so much

Doorman

Yeah, I'm not personally big on a lot of the headgear-specific abilities either. I could see Opening Gambit being helpful if you're a part of a coordinated team in Rainmaker, since that would hopefully get you an early start on painting the shield and getting the first "possession," but otherwise I'm not so sure the extra 2-3 seconds you save using it will really do a ton of good, and then that gear slot is giving you no benefit at all for the next [up to] 4:30. Similar deal for Last-Ditch, since it's not even known if a match will go long enough for it to even trigger. Tenacity is probably the best out of the three since you'll likely end up in uneven scenarios at some point and get a little bit of free meter from it, but at that point you might as well just throw on a Special Charge or Saver skill and have more or less the same benefit without the wonky activation conditions.

Also these days I run cold blooded not for any particular purpose but it always makes me feel better than having a giant echolocator icon on me. I miss my Ninja Squid though, I think that always served me better in general situations, but I just hate echolocators so much

I've got a fun idea for a "spotter" loadout that I want to try out in the near future, and yeah an opposing team with cold-blooded on would blow that up pretty quickly, hah. For anyone that doesn't, though, I at least like the concept of a build focused around marking enemies. Between that and the classic Respawn/Quick-jump Sploosh build, I seem to slowly be gravitating towards particularly annoying/trollish gear sets rather than actual straightforward performance-boosts. :p

noshten

i thought gaf liked tenacity. what do most yall prefer as main ability for headgear?

What weapon do you main, which modes are you playing, are you playing in a squad, also how you play the game - those are some of the factors when selecting clothing.
- Certain weapons simply require a different clothing all together, I've never played with tenacity on the charger for example since I don't really focus on getting the special quickly - it's more important to be able to fire more shots or have more powerful half shots.
- Tenacity feels pretty useless in some modes to me.Comeback being the better option since the boost it gives you in deathfests(Suicide on Tower mode, Painmaker mode). Special Charge up's reliable increase in the Special meter might also prove to be a better option in certain cases. Stacking Quick Respawn for Rollers is a very legit option in Tower Control.
- In a good squad your team mates won't spend as much time being dead and thus the ability is pretty useless.
- There could be a personal preferance depending on your playstyle that might not be a meta at the moment - I've seen some pretty weird builds like a dude with 3 Bomb Range up Mains who was throwing suction bombs across the map.

If you are playing with players who have no idea what they are doing and are constantly dying I would recommend tenacity but it won't be enough to turn a game around if you are being so heavily dominated.

So yeah what I recommend you do is tell us what weapon you play and people can recommend types of gear you might want to try. But usually Splatoon is a game there isn't a one fits all clothing unless you are playing a particular weapon that is heavily depending on the bonuses. I have different types of loadouts depending on the weapon I play and the mode being played. I mostly play Roller and Charger for those I have sets of clothing that I vary with depending on which type I'm using. While other weapons I play less with(Oktobrush/Blaster/Bucket) I've not enough information to really provide recommendation about what works. The guns are a mystery to me, since I've barely played them since launch.

taparoo

if you like it and notice the difference it makes, then who cares what other people think. unfortunately there's really no "best in slot" for this game, everything is situational, depending on what mode/weapon you're using or how you play.

personally, I have a ton of fun in ranked games using comeback combined with a bunch of quick respawn gear. whether i'm effective or not, that's a different story, but it's fun to mess around with.

Jintor

What weapon do you main, which modes are you playing, are you playing in a squad, also how you play the game - those are some of the factors when selecting clothing.

it goes without saying however that the number one factor is FRESHNESS

RedFyn

Essentially it comes down to their low range of attack. The roller will be dependent on the others making opening plays when the game is in a neutral state. If their teammates succeed in creating space for the roller, only then can they shine. That won't happen very often though against teams with no roller.
Before I reply are you talking about the dynamo, the rollers, or both? Because the dynamo isn't a short range weapon.

SM239

Diving in front of my teammate to take a charger shot so he could make the last second dunk. I made the ultimate sacrifice. lol

Zing

Banned
I mostly just don't get the whole "the game is forcing me to play this" argument

Like no if you don't want to play something then don't play
I don't understand the whole "the game is stopping me from playing because I am no good at the current mode". Face it, they "don't like" certain modes because they are no good at them. I have disliked every game mode at some point, but now that I have experience with them all and understand how to be successful in each of them, I enjoy every mode.

That thread is mind boggling. People who admit they haven't played much of the game whining about the four hour rotation. As if an hourly rotation is going to magically make the game fun for them or stop them from losing (and whining about it online). Meanwhile, I am approaching 300 hours played and feel it is fine the way it is. This is about the most applicable use of "git gud" possible.

Jintor

i mean i get it. sometimes you want to play rainmaker and splat zones is up. you feel pissed.

but the most likely scenario of letting you play what you want is everybody wants to play rainmaker and nobody wants to play splatzones and then splatzones withers on the vine. Well yeah you say, make splatzones more interesting. But then everyone wants to play splatzones and nobody wants to play TC or rainmaker! Either way you just kill a game mode for no appreciable benefit.

Geg

I just played against someone with six run speed up subs on it, that's what prompted the post lol

xnuZ5Oj.jpg
Look at this fraudulence. Fucking bane of my existence right here

Does dmg up mix well with the 52 gal deco?
.52 Gal = use at least one Damage Up, period. Otherwise random Defense Ups will fuck you up.

Rarely a need to go for more than one main unless your friend's a douche who uses 3 Defense Ups, though. The one is just to counter random Defense Ups.

WALKMAN04

I don't understand the whole "the game is stopping me from playing because I am no good at the current mode". Face it, they "don't like" certain modes because they are no good at them. I have disliked every game mode at some point, but now that I have experience with them all and understand how to be successful in each of them, I enjoy every mode.

That thread is mind boggling. People who admit they haven't played much of the game whining about the four hour rotation. As if an hourly rotation is going to magically make the game fun for them or stop them from losing (and whining about it online). Meanwhile, I am approaching 300 hours played and feel it is fine the way it is. This is about the most applicable use of "git gud" possible.
I understand where you guys are coming from, but from my experience right now, I don't want to lose S+ points because I'm playing a game mode I don't know yet nor does my team know how to play and I am forced to play squads or not at all.I choose not at all, I do think something needs to change about the current rotation system, I don't know what but something needs to change. I would like people to not be unlucky and not see their favorite map on their favorite mode because it's not in rotation or never play a mode because it isn't on at the time you are able to play. There are too many maps and modes for the current rotation system, in my opinion. Also before anyone says but private lobbies, how many private lobbies have we played in and we are a gaming forum, I myself have only played in a handful of private lobbies.

Geg

Yeah private lobbies have been a lot rarer than I was expecting before the update. Most people seem to prefer squads.

I've said from the beginning that I think the 4 hour rotation is way too long. There are enough modes and maps right now that they can afford to change it to two hours or so without things becoming stale

Josh5890

I've come to the conclusion that I have to use Turf Wars for leveling up equipment and only use my best equipment for the ranked battles. I can win five in a row as easily as I can lose five in a row. It would probably be more fun if I had a team. Getting high in ranked mode is tough.

Top Bottom