• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

I don't understand people having issues with the Nvidia slips. You enter the promo code from Nvidia's website which gives a coupon that you use on the Ubisoft store to make the deluxe editions of Conviction and Blacklist free. Are people not getting those coupons?

Uplay just doesn't put pre-orders into your games list because they are silly.

I don't understand people having issues with the Nvidia slips. You enter the promo code from Nvidia's website which gives a coupon that you use on the Ubisoft store to make the deluxe editions of Conviction and Blacklist free. Are people not getting those coupons?

Silly how?
I had BF4 preordered and it was listed under "My Games" on origin. I dont see how it would be "silly" for preorders to be listed in my games list on Uplay as well.

Anyway, going to bed....

TentPole

The problem is that the store has been on fire all day and will not let people sign in to use the discount code from the Nvidia website.

The problem is that the store has been on fire all day and will not let people sign in to use the discount code from the Nvidia website.

Ah ok, I misread some of the complaints as being confused as to why they weren't getting keys I think. Still, Uplay really needs some work on the storefront side. It's 12:12 pacific so oh well.

Anyway to unlock this early via uPlay for those in the UK? I pre-ordered using one of thsoe Nvidia codes.

Sadly not, Uplay hasn't put the game up for download anywhere in the world. One can pre-load the steam version but not the actual store's version >_>

eival

so we went from "this new sam fisher sucks and isnt real cause hes not going thru each mission climbing upside on these totally realistic pipe architecture along the ceiling ofevery office building and taking out security guards who always stop to rest in the darkest area of the hallways" to where now its "omg how can they not have michael ironside as the voice of sam fichser the long storied splinter cell mythos wont be same without him this is blasphemous...oh and we're still not really thrilled about the fast paced fun action parts either, bring back those animations from the PS2"

Gaz_RB

^ haha that seems to be the consensus from the "legacy" Splinter Cell fans

I just finished the 4th story mission and I'm diggin it. More Splinter Cell than Conviction, but still kept what made that game fun. Most qualms I had before I played it are gone.

I even kinda like the new guy.

1313888359297.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
so we went from "this new sam fisher sucks and isnt real cause hes not going thru each mission climbing upside on these totally realistic pipe architecture along the ceiling ofevery office building and taking out security guards who always stop to rest in the darkest area of the hallways" to where now its "omg how can they not have michael ironside as the voice of sam fichser the long storied splinter cell mythos wont be same without him this is blasphemous...oh and we're still not really thrilled about the fast paced fun action parts either, bring back those animations from the PS2"

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, are they? XD

B4D1E

^ haha that seems to be the consensus from the "legacy" Splinter Cell fans

I just finished the 4th story mission and I'm diggin it. More Splinter Cell than Conviction, but still kept what made that game fun. Most qualms I had before I played it are gone.

I even kinda like the new guy.

I agree completely. It's really tense to play ghost. This feeling was missing since Chaos Theory. No screen-tearing to report, I'm playing on 360 and was really impressed by the cut-scenes. I don't understant why people complain so much. Be happy to have a stealth-game, even if it's a little dumbed-down for the mass market. You can still enjoy it as a good splinter cell game.

EDIT: The only qualm is the time it took to install the HD Texture Pack. For info, the game asks you when you first launch the game.

demolitio

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, are they? XD

Apparently you're only allowed one criticism of a game at a time. Last time I checked, animations from 10 years ago don't equate to gameplay decisions either but I guess that would be more than one criticism of that post which isn't allowed.

Opinions are amazing though, aren't they? I'm pretty sure fans of any long-standing franchise would have the same opinions afterall. No one is saying the game can't evolve or change, but that doesn't mean everyone has to LOVE every fucking design choice a developer makes just because it still remains in the genre it's always been in. It doesn't mean people won't buy the game but I don't get how they have to love everything just for the sake of still having a game to play.

Whether or not the big SvM changes affect the gameplay once decent people start to play it outside of conventions is the big question in my mind. Giving more lethality to the spies from all angles seems to eliminate some of the tension of previous games but maybe Mercs have enough to counter that if played right.

Gaz_RB

Yeah haven't noticed a high amount of screen tearing on 360 either.

PS

Spies VS Mercs is almost as amazing as it used to be. Which is saying an awful lot.

demolitio

Yeah haven't noticed a high amount of screen tearing on 360 either.

PS

Spies VS Mercs is almost as amazing as it used to be. Which is saying an awful lot.

That's what I was waiting to hear about. Is the asymmetrical gameplay still in tact with more lethal spies? I was afraid it'd be too easy since playing as spies was already easy enough so I was just hoping some good Merc players would be able to easily counter that.

Gaz_RB

That's what I was waiting to hear about. Is the asymmetrical gameplay still in tact with more lethal spies? I was afraid it'd be too easy since playing as spies was already easy enough so I was just hoping some good Merc players would be able to easily counter that.

Yeah, I've been getting whooped by mercs. They'll be even tougher once they've learned the maps. Spies being a bit more lethal didnt have as much impact as I thought it would.
Also the three maps I've played on are pretty solid maps. Well designed, not too big not too small.

Edit: and yeah Realistic difficulty is the way to go. You die fast but the game isn't frustrating. Save perfectionist for another play through.

I agree, radar off is way more fun, so is turning off most the ui. Sonar is overpowered enough...

gribbles

Banned
Could someone please clear up some confusion for me: Is a free copy of this game available to anyone who bought a 600 or 700 series card from anywhere, or is it only available to people who bought it from one of these authorised resellers? Cos I recently bought a 670 a month ago, but not from one of those listed places.

demolitio

Yeah, I've been getting whooped by mercs. They'll be even tougher once they've learned the maps. Spies being a bit more lethal didnt have as much impact as I thought it would.

You've made me more excited than any video could possibly do then. I hope the community stays active for a bit so my friend and I can try and continue our undefeated streak from Chaos Theory. It should be a lot more interesting now that you have to play both sides too.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently you're only allowed one criticism of a game at a time. Last time I checked, animations from 10 years ago don't equate to gameplay decisions either but I guess that would be more than one criticism of that post which isn't allowed.

Opinions are amazing though, aren't they? I'm pretty sure fans of any long-standing franchise would have the same opinions afterall. No one is saying the game can't evolve or change, but that doesn't mean everyone has to LOVE every fucking design choice a developer makes just because it still remains in the genre it's always been in. It doesn't mean people won't buy the game but I don't get how they have to love everything just for the sake of still having a game to play.

I know, right? His two opposing options were, oddly, in no way opposing. I blame internets.

Whether or not the big SvM changes affect the gameplay once decent people start to play it outside of conventions is the big question in my mind. Giving more lethality to the spies from all angles seems to eliminate some of the tension of previous games but maybe Mercs have enough to counter that if played right.

Yeah, SvM always seemed like it was weighted far more towards the Spies. I guess that comes with the territory, what with the main game mechanics being built around that type of play.

I'm currently up to my balls with Payday 2, and what with GTAV around the corner, I'm definitely going to wait till Christmas sales hit. Although I'm unsure about a lot of the design decisions they appear to have made, I'd like to get this under my hands before completely roasting it. Contrary to popular opinion, I quite enjoyed Conviction for what it was, especially after the abortive Double Agent.

Gaz_RB

I also like how every game type unlocks as you rank up, and the only game type you can access at first is SVM classic, until you level up enough. The new gadgets and spy lethality should keep gameplay diverse enough and allow for enough strategies and improvisation that I think the community will last longer than the other games.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
So....no new nvidia drivers for this game? I really do hope this game is not a crappy mess to run like conviction was and that the aspect ratio problem that is on every splinter cell game is fixed by now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow. This is sad. Still isn't up? Origin may get shit but at least it's better than Uplay.

DrBo42

A little less than 5 hours left, yeah? For the uplay thing it seems like Ubi wants to blame Nvidia and say it's their issue.

Double D

I thought I would have been able to at least start downloading before I went to work, but nope. Hopefully Uplay lets me download it reasonably fast.

I think the point he was making was that people went from being concerned about whether the gameplay can make a return to what we loved about the series, to nitpicking over voice acting after our initial concerns about the gameplay were becoming less of an issue as more footage and previews said the game did stealth well. IE that people were just looking for more to complain about once we were made to feel better about the gameplay. And yes I realize that me calling voice acting complaints "nitpicking" is a little unfair because that varies in importance to different people, but really if you're buying it for the voice acting, you should be looking to buy pixar products, not video games. Splinter Cell was never really about the story any ways. And yes I understand that story also varies in importance to different people, but I would think the gameplay takes a little bit of a higher priority.

JambiBum

This is stupid. We could have been playing this shit first thing this morning :mad:
This same thing happened with far cry 3. If something has to use uplay then I'm just not going to preorder it and buy it the day of instead. Uplay seems to take forever to send out the preorder keys but if you buy it the day of release you have no issues.

Grisby

Can't decide whether I want to pick this up for my Xbox or ps3. Asked this yesterday but is that 12gb install for real on the ps3 version? Don't have much hd space on there.

JambiBum

Yeah I just checked Uplay and the store is still saying that it's available for preorder and not sale yet. I'm not even sure what time the Uplay store updates. Anyone have any idea on a time frame?

Afro

Yeah I just checked Uplay and the store is still saying that it's available for preorder and not sale yet. I'm not even sure what time the Uplay store updates. Anyone have any idea on a time frame?

edit: this was posted on the official forums by a regular member:

"The game has not been released yet. It's official release is 11AM PST / 2PM EST. It's not that time yet. It won't show up until it has been released, not preloaded."

JambiBum

edit: this was posted on the official forums:

"The game has not been released yet. It's official release is 11AM PST / 2PM EST. It's not that time yet. It won't show up until it has been released, not preloaded."
2 pm est is such a weird time to release but thanks

edit: this was posted on the official forums by a normal member:

Really, cause I just left Target and they had it on the shelf ready to go for $60.

I feel like a prick for saying this, but why should I buy digital when the one thing it is supposed to offer me above all else (convience) can't even do that. I'm on the east coast and work nights so my mornings are the only time I have to play games. Granted I did get my copy from the B/S/T thread for cheap, but if I preordered it for the full $60, it looks like I would be in the same boat

We have Steam doing preloads and just being generally great, GOG releasing everything DRM free, and even fucking Origin is stepping up by releasing some digital games with a return policy, why would I ever give uPlay money for a game again?

Danny 117

Top Bottom