• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

CPCunha

Question for the WiiU version owners...

Is there a way to change the language?? i'm getting the portuguese (brasil) dubs even though my WiiU has USA set as region... i DREAD dubs.

Gbraga

Indeed. I'll try cleaning up some crap on my PC and rebooting. Maybe that will help. You've got Textures and Shadows on Ultra? And consistent 60fps?

Again, only played a few minutes, but only downsampling, SSAA and MSAA 4x made me go below 60. Maybe later in the game it gets way more demanding. Did you get fixed 60 in the first minutes with FXAA?

30 with SSAA or downsampling from 3200x1800.

I think it's all on Ultra, yeah, can't check right now, will let you know if it's not.

Double D

Again, only played a few minutes, but only downsampling, SSAA and MSAA 4x made me go below 60. Maybe later in the game it gets way more demanding. Did you get fixed 60 in the first minutes with FXAA?

30 with SSAA or downsampling from 3200x1800.

I think it's all on Ultra, yeah, can't check right now, will let you know if it's not.

Yeah, I did get 60 right off the bat. It's also confusing because when you change texture settings, it says "will take effect next time level loads" or something like that. So does that mean if I die and reload a checkpoint, or load a new level from the the ship?

Gbraga

Yeah, I did get 60 right off the bat. It's also confusing because when you change texture settings, it says "will take effect next time level loads" or something like that. So does that mean if I die and reload a checkpoint, or load a new level from the the ship?

That may be it then, I'll play more when I get home. It's a shame if I can't get a good framerate in this game.

I guess I was too quick to praise it.

DrBo42

Already put in 10 hours between the story and coop missions solo. Really enjoying it. Perfectionist has really grown on me.

There is this walk through if you can ignore the playing style:

And there is "Wii U advantage" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKN-bHSmoE

That's pretty much it. At list no other relevant sources/videos/reviews for now. As main difference except the gamepad implementation, it seems that there is no screen tearing.

Already saw those. Btw..Thought I was bad, but that guy beats me.

Apparently, PS3/360 = screen tearing hell
Wii U = occasional slowdown

I thought there was only screentearing in the cutscenes? If the WiiU slowdown is in gameplay, and the tearing is in PS3/360 cutscenes only, I might pick PS3/360 version after all. Df get on with it.

Already saw those. Btw..Thought I was bad, but that guy beats me.

I thought there was only screentearing in the cutscenes? If the WiiU slowdown is in gameplay, and the tearing is in PS3/360 cutscenes only, I might pick PS3/360 version after all. Df get on with it.

I don't know the specifics, sorry.

Meanwhile...

jBLXIoeyp1uaZ.png

Some people are having issues, others say it works fine. A few can't seem to even play with people on their Friend List.

Double D

I decided to try out the 'side missions' last night. Well, specifically Charlie's. I get in here today and read that his is the worst. As I'm playing last night I'm thinking, "Wow, these side missions are all just Horde mode maps?". Glad to see the others are different.

I ended up just sitting in one spot most of the time and waiting for dudes to walk up the stairs where I would either shoot them in the face or stealth kill them. I had a giant pile of guys and dogs after the first few waves. I bailed once they let me extract after wave 5. I guess I have to stick it out to wave 20 in order to 'complete' it? Screw that.

B4D1E

How is this on 360? Thinking of picking it up today.

Nothing to report on 360. The cut-scenes looks really good. I didn't notice any screen-tearing during those. In game, no technical issues. Played 6 hours yesterday on 3 side missions (Charlie, Kobin and Grim) and had a blast!!!!

Gbraga

Any more performance reports?

Maybe turning down AO would help? I need those 60fps. I'll probably waste all my free time today with tweaks if it starts dropping below 50.

Double D

Maybe turning down AO would help? I need those 60fps. I'll probably waste all my free time today with tweaks if it starts dropping below 50.

Nah, I'm stuck at work for the next 6 hours. And after that I won't get around to playing until a few hours after that. I'll keep you posted if I make any miraculous discoveries, though.

B4D1E

I decided to try out the 'side missions' last night. Well, specifically Charlie's. I get in here today and read that his is the worst. As I'm playing last night I'm thinking, "Wow, these side missions are all just Horde mode maps?". Glad to see the others are different.

I ended up just sitting in one spot most of the time and waiting for dudes to walk up the stairs where I would either shoot them in the face or stealth kill them. I had a giant pile of guys and dogs after the first few waves. I bailed once they let me extract after wave 5. I guess I have to stick it out to wave 20 in order to 'complete' it? Screw that.

I agree with you, you can just stick to one place and wait. But if you "play the game", it still can be fun. I think it's where you can experiment a lot of tactics and see how the IA react to them.

I really liked the 1st Kobin's (in Afghanistan) though. You are not stuck just in one place and when you are spotted enemy reinforcement come hunt you down. And I had to try ghost and panther play-style. I wanted to stick to ghost but after a few tries and with the rage, I began to play it lethal. And it was much more fun.

legacyzero

Banned

Nvidia? Once I updated drivers, my 670 was up to 60 on full with 1080p and TXAA. I've yet to experiment more, though. Spies Vs Mercs has it's grip on me :p

legacyzero

Banned
I'll just quote a fellow Gaffer in regards to the Wii U version:

Textures look muddy and according to him the game has a few slowdowns, not only the cutscenes. Good job Ubisoft.

If it makes you Wii U peoples feel better, I think the textures are muddy on the PC as well :/

Gbraga

Nvidia? Once I updated drivers, my 670 was up to 60 on full with 1080p and TXAA. I've yet to experiment more, though. Spies Vs Mercs has it's grip on me :p

Even after the first few minutes then? Everything on Ultra?

That's great to know, specially since I don't really like TXAA so I'll just use FXAA or MSAA 2x.

Is multiplayer FINALLY 60fps then??

Can't wait till all these technical issues get sorted and we can start discussing the game :)

I'm sorry, I'd really like to, and I will once I get more into it, it's just that it's all I have to talk about now :(

Geoff9920

If you're on Nvidia I'd recommend installing the beta drivers they just released yesterday. They did make a differrence for me.

Smokey

Starting to enjoy the game. Will probably move it up to realistic though, normal seems way too easy. Changing the AA to SSAA x2 with everything else at max (2560x1600) knocked me down to 30fps. Textures still look kinda meh to me though.

Slyonic

Neo Member
I got my copy today, but my DLC codes don't seem to be working... Anyone else with this problem? Is it because the game isn't officialy out here in the EU?

EDIT: It's working now

DesertFox

Played through the first mission this morning. I enjoy the gameplay but what is with the checkpoint system? I can't manually save my progress anymore? So frustrating having to replay sections I've already done because of mistakes.

FrsDvl

Played some spies vs mercs last night. Holy shit, it's great! But damn I'm terrible at it for some reason. Maybe I was too tired, and maybe cause I didn't know the maps yet. Is there a wat to explore maps as spy without playing against other people?

Gaz_RB

I can't believe this game turned out this good, it had everything lined up against it. Hope it sells well so the Spies V Mercs community lasts for a while.

UnrealEck

I get 60 FPS on a GTX 770.

Ultra settings, tesselation, HD ambient occlusion, x16 AF, 4xMSAA and all the rest of the good stuff turned on at 1920x1080.

Splinter Cell Blacklist Wii U VS Xbox 360 graphics comparison on YouTube.

Hard to tell. WiiU version looks darker, but video quality sucks. Well....gonna buy the 360 version. Was really into supporting WiiU and buying this game for the system, but the reports of slowdown, no community and no local co op killed it for me.

oktarb

I just can't stop shooting people in the back of the head. Sure i start out all Stealthy with my stealth suit and gadgets. I creep, I scout. And then about one third of the way through there's always this guy. You know they guy, just standing there. No ones around but him and me. Suddenly I see that my pistol is focused on the back of his head. Wasn't I just watching him a second ago. How dare this guy just stand there, he's barely doing his job! And you're in my way. SPLURCH.

Wow, first Kobin side mission is really a blast. Truly many ways to approach the mission, aside from deciding lethal or not, it really is just a wide open map. Def the best SC game since Chaos Theory (well, i guess that isn't saying much).

JambiBum

so whats the overall consenus? good game?

Coming from playing every other SC game, I would say it's a pretty good game. I had realistic expectations going in and they went above those. The SP campaign is pretty good even if the narrative is so so. I actually like the idea behind the story, it's just that the execution is a little off. SC has never really been about the story though, it's always been about the level design and gameplay, which I think the SP nails pretty well. The daylight levels throw in some good variety as well.

As for SvM, 2v2 is great but I'm not much a fan of 4v4 yet. I do wish that you could shoot your grenades as a spy like you could in PT and CT though. Tasing someone and then trying to throw a grenade at them doesn't work nearly as well as shooting a grenade at them did.

There's one other thing I don't like but it's mostly a gripe with a specific game mode. They have a TDM mode, but instead of making it SvM and then switching between rounds, they let both teams choose any assortment of spies or mercs. It might just be me but I'm so used to seeing a merc as a spy and then dictating what I do based on that, that when I see an enemy spy or a friendly merc I react slower than normal.

MAX PAYMENT

so whats the overall consenus? good game?

Great game. If you're a fan on Riddick games, you'll probably love this.

Each play style is a blast to play.
And yes, even Ghost.

Spies vs Mercs feels weird as hell at first, but once you start understanding the nuances, it's great.

Fotos

I pre ordered the game from GamesStop and picked it up at midnight but for some reason I didn't get the pre order bonus. Is there any way I can get one or does someone have an extra?

Afro

both my cousin and I are having strange glitch. we can both aim down the sights as a Merc, but can't fire the gun with left click. yet as a spy, the controls work fine. is this a known bug?

edit: it seems when you switch your gamepad preset to "shooter", it messes with the mouse for some reason.

Hip Hop

Can't Uplay recognize installed games?

I let one of my friends copy and transfer games to his Steam account all the time because his internet is really crap (less than 1mbps) so downloading is not an option for him most of the time.

Today, we transferred Splinter Cell to his drive, and Uplay is not recognizing it, it just downloads the game again.

Any ideas, or is this how Uplay works?

EDIT: Apparently it works now, but he can only play from the folder, not Uplay itself.

Top Bottom