• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Gameplay is a blast. It's a nice change to make a ruckus and simply hide in the shadows while everyone investigates the scene and sneak around behind. Adds a new dynamic that wasn't present in the past. Wii U controller is a bit imprecise however. Off screenplay is great, nearly ZombiU levels.

The OP pretty much summed up all my misgivings about the direction of this franchise. Great! Saves me the time. Hint: It makes me as grumpy as Ironside looks in all the roles he is usually cast in.

Now, I'm not usually one to complain about stuff like this and make these kinds of comparisons, but, you know... it's pretty hard to play something with the graphical and auditory fidelity of The Last of Us and then go back to PS2-era production values like this. Nice work, Ubisoft. Here's to hoping Ubisoft patches the living daylights out of this one, eventually releases a high-resolution texture pack for PC and, for God's sake, does away with that awful abomination of a platform called UPlay.

You're Ubisoft, man. You do not, I repeat, do not have enough clout in this industry to be able to make a service like this palatable to your customers. It's going to get cracked and pirated anyway (heck, it already is), so why bother? Steam is perfectly fine by itself. Having had to install stupid Origin just for EA was bad enough, but damn it, by comparison Origin is actually a marvel of programming. UPlay, on the other hand, is an unreliable piece of crap.

ultimately the game balances methodical and spontaneous really well.
Yeah, and its this new rhythm I'm trying to get a grip on.

You feel a lot more mobile in this game, and that you have a lot of options available to you at any given time. So instead of waiting completely still in the shadows and taking everything in, and then moving rarely but purposefully, this game compels you to keep moving, and to adapt moment to moment. Like all the early videos talked about "killing in motion" - well the same goes for stealth here. When the game truly clicks for me is when I'm able to move through an area relatively quickly, relying upon the small moment to moment opportunities more than any guard patrol memorization.

I mean, there are usually way too many guards moving across too large an area, for the most part.

Shahadan

Got a PC code from Nvidia with my new GPU but really don't care about it. Maybe someone from Euro gaf wants to buy it from me for like 30€ ? Usually I would give it away but I could use the money this time.

Shadownet

Banned
You better believe I extracted after the first 5 rounds. Was kind of tough solo.

Was pretty cool how the AI was back to back sniffing me out at one point. Couldn't sneak up on them.

I agree that blacklist doesn't look so hot. I'm on 360 and I'm pretty sure Conviction impressed me more graphically.

Like the action is so smooth to play. But remember the first opening sequence? In the rain with fire everywhere?

I was thinking to myself. That was the worst rain and flame effect I've ever seen in a game.

Deus Ex Human Revolution had better looking rain.

Don't even get me started on the faces.

The game doesn't lag but the texture look terrible.

JambiBum

Got a PC code from Nvidia with my new GPU but really don't care about it. Maybe someone from Euro gaf wants to buy it from me for like 30€ ? Usually I would give it away but I could use the money this time.

Does it have to be euro gaf? I have a friend who would love a copy.

Nice work, Ubi

jblPJRLmEdIA6d.png

Remmy2112

Are there no flashlights in Blacklist mode?

Not by default, and the maps don't require them either. In classic mode the maps are incredibly dark except near light sources. In Blacklist it is very easy to see without a flashlight, though there are a couple spots where it can be difficult to spot a spy.

Conan O'Brien plays SC: Blacklist.

Even though I've only played a few hours of co-op and SvM, I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game. It took a while for me to get used to the altered controls, especially coming right off Conviction, but I'm starting to get a hang of it. Hopefully the campaign is just as good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Alpha Suit Uplay is giving away for 30U points isn't a part of that Webgame promo, right?

The patch broke my game. I Dled the one that was 1.7gb and my game will not start after I installed it. Uplay says check that my game was installed correctly. It fuckin worked before I patched it...

Help..

danielcw

Heads up European PC users
Game just showed up in my Uplay account
(EU/Germany via Nvidia promo code)

I hope I do not run into problems.

This is my first Uplay only game, so far the download is fast

Effect

Nice work, Ubi

jblPJRLmEdIA6d.png

Was outside of Target after work and decided to read up on comments one last time. Tend to do that all the time since they have wifi in the store. Checked this thread and went to Miiverse and read some comments. Didn't even bother getting out of my car in the end. Once I hear the game is patched and the freezing stops then I'll buy it. Hopefully it will be priced lower by then.

However this is the second Ubisoft game where I think the online matching hasn't worked correctly.There were issues with Assassin's Creed 3 as well. If this isn't fixed with Splinter Cell that's it. There is no local co-op to fall back on it. How about that! :(

I think the PC version looks great for the most part, lots of tessellation abound and nice lighting. It is a bit inconsistent with the textures though, there are some great one that are among the most detailed I've seen outside of a Crysis game and then I'll take cover behind a water heater with PS2 era texture. And the lighting in the side missions isn't as well handled as the main ones.

So bummed though, finished the Blood Mines mission only for it to crash right before the mission completion screen. Unrelated but a minor thing I wish they'd patch in is a change all camo option for your gear. Bit annoying going into each menu, going into several sub-menus, and so on 5 times in a row.

TheSeks

I am Commander Fisher, and this is my favorite plane in all the US military!

(Spys vs Merc needing Rank 5 to unlock non-Classic is WTF and training grounds is 1vs1 which kinda doesn't help you work as a team/learn the ropes too much...)

And Spy vs Merc is kinda broke for me. Can't join matches or if I do one of us can't spawn. WTF?

FrsDvl

The default is push to talk, but if you go into your audio settings you can change it to open mic. I'm not sure what the default ptt key is though.

Cool thanks, I'll see if I can figure it out. And hopefully be able to map the button to my controller somehow.

JambiBum

Cool thanks, I'll see if I can figure it out. And hopefully be able to map the button to my controller somehow.

I use a controller as well, I couldn't figure out how to map it so I just keep it on the open mic. If you do figure it out let me know.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Was outside of Target after work and decided to read up on comments one last time. Tend to do that all the time since they have wifi in the store. Checked this thread and went to Miiverse and read some comments. Didn't even bother getting out of my car in the end. Once I hear the game is patched and the freezing stops then I'll buy it. Hopefully it will be priced lower by then.

However this is the second Ubisoft game where I think the online matching hasn't worked correctly.There were issues with Assassin's Creed 3 as well. If this isn't fixed with Splinter Cell that's it. There is no local co-op to fall back on it. How about that! :(

Why am I not surprised the Wii U version isn't fully vetted considering they appear to have rushed it out the door to release with the other versions.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Cancelled my Zavvi order and went with Shopto, I have Sunday,Monday and Tuesday off and don't trust Zavvi with there delivery history, although I did really want the Steelbook :-(
Got a digital version of SC: DA instead thou

Gbraga

I'm getting the Thanks for playing bug now and the fix posted here didn't help me. At least it's funny.

EDIT: Now it works, I can launch the game, but I can't change resolution or switch back to fullscreen.

Also, did they completely remove blood splatters or is my game glitching? Been ghosting but I replayed a mission with all my crazy weapons I've been spending money on and there was no blood. In conviction it'd spray on the walls, leave a wound, etc. Not to sound sadistic or anything but I like hit reactions in my shooting games :D

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, and its this new rhythm I'm trying to get a grip on.

You feel a lot more mobile in this game, and that you have a lot of options available to you at any given time. So instead of waiting completely still in the shadows and taking everything in, and then moving rarely but purposefully, this game compels you to keep moving, and to adapt moment to moment. Like all the early videos talked about "killing in motion" - well the same goes for stealth here. When the game truly clicks for me is when I'm able to move through an area relatively quickly, relying upon the small moment to moment opportunities more than any guard patrol memorization.

I mean, there are usually way too many guards moving across too large an area, for the most part.

Yeah, I'm still coming to grips with the killing in motion, but it's amazing. If there were 3 guards that I marked, but one had a helmet on, I'd usually sit and wait. Then I realized I can just blitz them and shoot all three, stunning the guy with the helmet, then run in and finish him off with a melee hit. All 3 are down, and I regenerate my Execute gauge.

Another one, I was waiting behind a car and there was someone on the other side. I realized I could literally jump and slide over the hood into a melee kill before he could react.

I love that the game gives you around 1.5 seconds before the guards alert everyone. It's far more realistic, and gives you more leeway for kills from different angles.

What I'm not getting is how you mark and execute 3, melee, then mark and execute 3 more all in motion. I don't know how to pull that off yet.

Why am I not surprised the Wii U version isn't fully vetted considering they appear to have rushed it out the door to release with the other versions.
I think its a server issue. I haven't had trouble at all today.

The version runs great except for level loads. This was not a rush job.

R3TRODYCE

So I got my copy of SCB today for the 360 and disc 1 doesn't work but disc 2 does :(

Amazon is shipping me out another copy and I'm shipping back this copy.

Sober

Extra challenge to anyone playing primarily ghost: try to avoid using the cover-to-cover system for navigation (you can still use sticky cover/back-to-wall). Honestly it feels like free movement points even on Realistic difficulty. You can go full speed cover to cover but they don't hear it but they will hear you coming up behind them any other time. I mean, if you want to go for the old school SC feel. Yeah two speeds kinda sucks (well CTE kinda slows you down noticeably I think) but it still works out well.

So I thought Conviction was a steam hot pile of garbage and quit during the afganistan/iraq/middle east something mission.

Is there any chance at all that I would like this game?

Shinta

Banned
So I thought Conviction was a steam hot pile of garbage and quit during the afganistan/iraq/middle east something mission.

It's Conviction 2. But it does feel better. A little more thought put into ghost runs I think, and more non-lethal options and alternate routes in levels. If you literally couldn't even finish the first one, I'd be cautious I guess.

I'm loving the game though, but I loved Conviction too.

TheSeks

You can ghost and "Panther"/Conviction non-Lethal so yeah, it's already a remarkable improvement over Pooviction.

SvM PC is completely broke for me though. Try to spawn and it's "Sending data..." hangs and then I get kicked for "idling" Somehow I played a few rounds with no issues and made it to rank 5 to try TDM which... no one is playing. Neither capture or extraction. *sigh*

Singleplayer is pretty good, I'm loving the fact they give you a bonus for not touching enemies. But
how the fuck do you ghost/no touch the first VIP in the first story mission outside the intro? I can't seem to figure that out and "Panther"/Ghost knock-out people with the noise maker in that room and then freed him but it counted as a Panther.
WTF?

Still haven't finished that mission yet. Gotta do a little more later but Perfectionist is great. I'm loving the fact that easy-mode Mark and Execute isn't in it but you can mark enemies to keep track of where they are. I've been moving quick and trying to not touch too many enemies which has been pretty intense in that
"Blaire move away from there!"/chase
bit.

But I HATE how they basically brush Conviction under the rug kinda.
"Grim about last game..." "Dunwrryitk." "...K."/"Korbin fake killed my daughter." Me: "Didn't Grim kill him at the end of Conviction?" "Isn't he supposed to be dead?" "Yeah, we dunno why he isn't. PLOT HOLE!(?)!"

And I think Grim AND Sam look better in Conviction. Hell the models in general look better in Conviction. But the lighting is pretty good, I'm guessing that's some DX11 features wowing me in the DX11 version.

Top Bottom