• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Kydd BlaZe

Steam? Because it's Uplay that is the pain in the ass than the Steam version it seems.

Uplay...got Blacklist for free with my GTX 780.

Even beyond that though, I've had problems with an autosave glitch in Far Cry 3 (Steam), and compatibility issues with WIndows 8 and Splinter Cell: Conviction; the only 3 Ubisoft games I own on PC. There's always something...

Well, figured it out. I had to go into the engine ini in the documents folder and set it to a bordered fullscreen for it to launch. So weird.

In any case, game looks amazing with everything cranked up. Get anywhere from 44-60 FPS with a GTX670 and everything cranked up at 4XTXAA. What are people here getting?

Sober

So good on PC. Been playing on Perfectionist and I think that's a huge mistake for the first playthrough. Even though it's absolutely doable it feels off like the game just isn't built for it. Huge improvement over Conviction though IMO.
I've been playing it almost like it's perfectionist. I bound execute way off to the side of the keyboard ([ key) so I don't use it, don't really use sonar except having to be forced to buy it for Estate, not really using ammo restock boxes and all. I haven't run into any issues about not being built for perfectionist/harder difficulties.

I think Perfectionist is something you should come back to after you figured out the level layouts IMO, or when you have all your high level op suit (though I guess there's nothing to stop you from just equipping starter stuff) :p

edit: also hiding the radar even after they make you buy it. I can't disable the HUD though, I completely remapped most of the keys and they don't feel entirely consistent/like the older games that I need to be reminded.

I think Perfectionist is something you should come back to after you figured out the level layouts IMO, or when you have all your high level op suit (though I guess there's nothing to stop you from just equipping starter stuff) :p

So is there a new game plus?

JambiBum

So for anyone getting the thanks for playing thing as soon as you launch the game there's a pretty easy fix.

Edit your VideoSettings.ini located in the following location:
C:\Users\<yournamehere>\Documents\Ubisoft\Blacklis t\videoSettings.ini

I just typed VideoSettings.ini into the start menu and it pulled it up that way too.

Change the "WindowStyleFinal=1" option to 0 or 2.

0 = Windowed
1 = Fullscreen (default)
2 = Windowed Fullscreen

0 and 2 both allow the game to start.

If you get a crash after the intro, delete your VideoSettings.ini, start blacklist again and let it crash out. Then edit the ini and set it to 0 or 2 again.

When you go into the game you can change it to windowed fullscreen or fullscreen and you should be just fine. I was having the same issue until I did this.

Also legacy, your spoiler made me laugh as I've been there a few times.

Kydd BlaZe

Finally got it up and running properly...good lord...

Now that I can actually play the damn thing...it's actually really damn good so far. Running it on ultra with all settings maxed out at 1080p 60-70 fps.

Glorious.

Sober

So is there a new game plus?
No, but it looks like the map filters active missions by default, just switch the filter and you'll see all the SP missions. You can change difficulties on the fly. You might have to nuke your save from orbit if you really want to start from the beginning though.

jmizzal

I did too.

GAMERatHEART IS MY ID. We might already be friends, I don't know anymore!

I somehow got into a match in both vs and coop on my first attempts. I came back a few hours during typical prime hours an failed too join or have someone join for a while. It's really weird. I know the population won't be great, but I'm starting to wonder if its something on their end.

You available now for some coop?

Yea im gonna add you now, im playing co-op missions as single player right now.

Seems co-op missions are kinda like denied ops from Conviction which is nice

Sober

In all honesty I am having way more fun with SR4 right now because I just turn my brain off and go nuts.

I need to take a breather after a SP mission or I will just hit my head against it. I spent like an hour and a half (and then another when I came back) on the first part of American Consumption because I wanted to knock out all the guards in the Xmas hall.

No, but it looks like the map filters active missions by default, just switch the filter and you'll see all the SP missions. You can change difficulties on the fly. You might have to nuke your save from orbit if you really want to start from the beginning though.

Interesting, thanks!

Still having a hard time getting over the new Sam, he sounds so, so young and looks it too. Grim looks completely different as well but she tended to change somewhat with every game. Kind of confused as to whether this is a reimagining, or a direct follow up.

Keep in mind though I just finished Conviction the day before last so Ironside is particularly fresh in my mind.

Smokey

Well, figured it out. I had to go into the engine ini in the documents folder and set it to a bordered fullscreen for it to launch. So weird.

In any case, game looks amazing with everything cranked up. Get anywhere from 44-60 FPS with a GTX670 and everything cranked up at 4XTXAA. What are people here getting?

55fps or so everything cranked to max, tessellation etc, 4x MSAA @ 2560x1600. GTX Titan.

Only thing that is bothering me is the damn borders on the top and bottom of the picture. Not sure if it's because UBI games don't render properly in 16:10...but I had the same thing happen in Assassin's Creed II I believe.

55fps or so everything cranked to max, tessellation etc, 4x MSAA @ 2560x1600. GTX Titan.

Only thing that is bothering me is the damn borders on the top and bottom of the picture. Not sure if it's because UBI games don't render properly in 16:10...but I had the same thing happen in Assassin's Creed II I believe.

I'd use MSAA if I could use it in conjunction with downsampling but my 670 isn't quite equipped for that. I quite like TXAA in general, the slight blur doesn't bother me and it eliminates nearly all aliasing.

Feels kind of weird having so many great weapons and money unlocked from the beginning due to having the deluxe edition.

Sober

I even used some of my lolUPlay points to get $200k richer for the start of the game. I still haven't bought the crossbow yet though (or the 5-7).

I even used some of my lolUPlay points to get $200k richer for the start of the game. I still haven't bought the crossbow yet though (or the 5-7).

Ah that's right, got most of the money from there and not the deluxe edition. All the customization stuff seems neat though, I've been messing around in the menus for 20 minutes now :D

Not sure whether to stick with the USP45 or buy the 5.7 USG

Smokey

I'd use MSAA if I could use it in conjunction with downsampling but my 670 isn't quite equipped for that. I quite like TXAA in general, the slight blur doesn't bother me and it eliminates nearly all aliasing.

Feels kind of weird having so many great weapons and money unlocked from the beginning due to having the deluxe edition.

Yeah I'll probably try and down sample in the next few days. TXAA blur was pretty noticeable on my 30'' monitor, so MSAA it is.

Sober

Ah that's right, got most of the money from there and not the deluxe edition. All the customization stuff seems neat though, I've been messing around in the menus for 20 minutes now :D

Not sure whether to stick with the USP45 or buy the 5.7 USG
If you aren't planning on shooting anyone it doesn't matter anyway, but I think you can also use them for SvM customization modes.

Shinta

Banned
Loving the game so far. It's basically Conviction 2, with more thought put into Ghost runs and non-lethal kills. And that's perfect for me, because I thought Conviction was fantastic already.

There's just a ton of stuff to do. Perfect runs on every level in Ghost, Panther, and Assault. 25+ challenges for each style, challenges and stat tracking for weapons, trophies, co-op runs, spies vs. merc. An absurd amount of unlockables to spend money. I have no regrets about paying full price for this so far.

The knife kill animations are pretty awesome too. And I like that they put a little bit more thought into the base, with a few NPCs, and an integrated map hub.

If you aren't planning on shooting anyone it doesn't matter anyway, but I think you can also use them for SvM customization modes.

I probably won't but what if I need to! Really kind of confused about how it all works. Was thinking I might do a panther run on realistic(did just finish Conviction after all) and then do a ghost for perfectionist but then you mentioned it seems that everything ties in together so we'll see how it all works out.

Shinta

Banned
Was thinking I might do a panther run on realistic(did just finish Conviction after all) and then do a ghost for perfectionist

I've found it really satisfying to ghost a level first. You have to know it inside an out and get through it with no mistakes. By then, you'll probably have restarted several times after failing. So a panther run after maxing ghost gets rid of the stress, because you can just slaughter all those annoying guards that kept discovering you.

Surprisingly, I'm having a harder time maxing points on Panther though. You have to kill enemies in rapid succession. Killing them all with no discoveries doesn't seem to be enough for 100%.

I've found it really satisfying to ghost a level first. You have to know it inside an out and get through it with no mistakes. By then, you'll probably have restarted several times after failing. So a panther run after maxing ghost gets rid of the stress, because you can just slaughter all those annoying guards that kept discovering you.

Surprisingly, I'm having a harder time maxing points on Panther though. You have to kill enemies in rapid succession. Killing them all with no discoveries doesn't seem to be enough for 100%.

I'll keep that in mind, I get what you mean when you say it's finally nice to release that frustration on a replay.

Confused though, did one of Charlie's missions that was supposed to be a recover mission and suddenly I'm holding out against enemies in a horde esqe waved based map. Are all the side missions like this?

Shinta

Banned
I'll keep that in mind, I get what you mean when you say it's finally nice to release that frustration on a replay.

Confused though, did one of Charlie's missions that was supposed to be a recover mission and suddenly I'm holding out against enemies in a horde esqe waved based map. Are all the side missions like this?

Grim's are all ghost missions that end when you're discovered at all. I think Charlie's are all horde missions, but I haven't played any of them. And I think the other guy's (Briggs?) are co-op only. Kobin's are eliminate all enemies (lethal or non-lethal). Grim's and Kobin's are solo or co-op.

If you think back to Conviction, it's basically the 3 modes they had before. Infiltration, Last Stand, and Hunter. They just mixed them all together in a weird way and cut out Face-Off in favor of Spies vs. Mercs.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Anyone mind telling me how big the game is on PC? I know it says 25GB on Steam but the preload was around 18GB right? I'm running out of room on my hard drive so I was just curious.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just finished installing this on uplay.

Anyone is welcome to add me on there: Duke_Silver

I could use some people to try out the multiplayer modes with.

d00d3n

So for anyone getting the thanks for playing thing as soon as you launch the game there's a pretty easy fix.

Edit your VideoSettings.ini located in the following location:
C:\Users\<yournamehere>\Documents\Ubisoft\Blacklis t\videoSettings.ini

I just typed VideoSettings.ini into the start menu and it pulled it up that way too.

Change the "WindowStyleFinal=1" option to 0 or 2.

0 = Windowed
1 = Fullscreen (default)
2 = Windowed Fullscreen

0 and 2 both allow the game to start.

Yes, this worked for me too. However, I was not able to change from borderless windowed to true fullscreen in the game (nothing happening when I press apply). If you are stuck in this fake fullscreen mode like me, turn off vsync for a huge performance boost in the game. I still don't see much tearing in the game, so the borderless windowed mode might do some vsync like thing on its own. Turning off vsync, I got the game running in 60 fps with SSAA 2x2 reverse grid and everything else maxed in 1080p.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Jeez...this is crazy. There is no single Wii U review to be found.

There is this walk through if you can ignore the playing style:

And there is "Wii U advantage" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKN-bHSmoE

That's pretty much it. At list no other relevant sources/videos/reviews for now. As main difference except the gamepad implementation, it seems that there is no screen tearing.

Afro

downloaded the patch manually and it seemed to work.

question, though. how does Uplay handle patches normally? like, when the next patch eventually goes up will it just automatically install when I launch the game from Uplay?

bump

So who else is rocking the Wii u version?

Mine downloaded this morning.

I did too.

GAMERatHEART IS MY ID. We might already be friends, I don't know anymore!

I somehow got into a match in both vs and coop on my first attempts. I came back a few hours during typical prime hours an failed too join or have someone join for a while. It's really weird. I know the population won't be great, but I'm starting to wonder if its something on their end.

You available now for some coop?
A lot of people are saying they're having problems playing with people on their Friend List (it's "broken")

Anyone know which console version is the one to go with? Performance wise I mean.

Thanks

Apparently, PS3/360 = screen tearing hell
Wii U = occasional slowdown

The game is pretty challenging on Realistic difficulty. The first two levels (post tutorial) gave me plenty of challenge in ghosting through. Patience is a virtue.
I've played and completed every Splinter Cell, this game definitely nails that feeling.

Gbraga

Just played very few minutes last night before going to sleep, just to see how it runs, and it seems pretty well optimised judging from the minutes I've played, a lot better than Conviction and even most Ubi games (granted it took a 1.7GB day one patch).

It's nice to see a PC game offering AA solutions beyond built in FXAA that you can't disable. Unfortunately it's kinda rare for AAA titles these days.

Blacklist offers FXAA (and it's implementation is pretty decent as far as I'm concerned), SSAA (2 types, don't know the difference), MSAA and TXAA

EDIT: About settings I'm playing with MSAA 2x (will drop to FXAA if I have to later in the game to achieve 60fps), everything else maxed. GTX 680, 60fps.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Uplay...got Blacklist for free with my GTX 780.

Even beyond that though, I've had problems with an autosave glitch in Far Cry 3 (Steam), and compatibility issues with WIndows 8 and Splinter Cell: Conviction; the only 3 Ubisoft games I own on PC. There's always something...

Weird, I haven't had problems with Conviction on Windows 8. It was a straight point-shoot install and then it bitches about being "unsupported" but runs just fine.

Double D

Just played very few minutes last night before going to sleep, just to see how it runs, and it seems pretty well optimised judging from the minutes I've played, a lot better than Conviction and even most Ubi games (granted it took a 1.7GB day one patch).

It's nice to see a PC game offering AA solutions beyond built in FXAA that you can't disable. Unfortunately it's kinda rare for AAA titles these days.

Blacklist offers FXAA (and it's implementation is pretty decent as far as I'm concerned), SSAA (2 types, don't know the difference), MSAA and TXAA

EDIT: About settings I'm playing with MSAA 2x (will drop to FXAA if I have to later in the game to achieve 60fps), everything else maxed. GTX 680, 60fps.

I've got a 770 running at 1920x1200. If I turn textures up to ultra and use fxaa ( shadows left at high, everything else on) I get 30 FPS. Turn textures down to high and leave everything else the same I get 60 with pretty consistent drops in the 40s.

Got the latest beta drivers and the 1.1 patch. Stock 2500k

Gbraga

I've got a 770 running at 1920x1200. If I turn textures up to ultra and use fxaa ( shadows left at high, everything else on) I get 30 FPS. Turn textures down to high and leave everything else the same I get 60 with pretty consistent drops in the 40s.

Got the latest beta drivers and the 1.1 patch. Stock 2500k

What, isn't the 770 pretty much the 680? This shouldn't be happening I guess.

d0nd

The game is pretty challenging on Realistic difficulty. The first two levels (post tutorial) gave me plenty of challenge in ghosting through. Patience is a virtue.
I've played and completed every Splinter Cell, this game definitely nails that feeling.

this game is so much fun for my first in the series! i put down p4g

Top Bottom