• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

MAX PAYMENT

I pre ordered the game from GamesStop and picked it up at midnight but for some reason I didn't get the pre order bonus. Is there any way I can get one or does someone have an extra?

Pre order bonus came inside the box.
Does your copy not have the atrocious GameStop banner across the top?

DesertFox

I pre ordered the game from GamesStop and picked it up at midnight but for some reason I didn't get the pre order bonus. Is there any way I can get one or does someone have an extra?
It should be a specially marked box with a gamestop edition banner. (Get your clutter off of my box gamestop...) inside is a card with a code. If your box doesn't say gamestop below the better with Kinect banner, let them know they gave you the wrong one.

Edit: beaten.

It is good to have though. The pre-order suits offer a lot more stealth than the standard suit you start with.

Sojgat

Not digging the disc switching on 360... For some reason I thought the second disc was just for textures.

Yeah it's terrible. They should have allowed just playing from disc one and installing the disc two content. Having a seamless in-game hub menu is kind of stupid on 360 version.

legacyzero

Banned
so whats the overall consenus? good game?
I only know multiplayer-wise, but so far I love it.

I still don't know if I like the lethal spies or not, but I have adapted.

The maps are great! The game is pretty tight in the gameplay end, and is a pure team based effort. If youddon't have good communication, you'll lose probably.

But I think the taze , stab is BULLSHIT.

Originally I manually installed the 1.4GB patch. Someone in this thread said get the new 1.7GB patch instead. After agreeing to the terms, the next page shows all the fixes and I go to click next and the window just freezes. :-\

I have to use task manage to exit. I've restarted my computer numerous times...

so frustrating. Does Uplay not have auto updates?

MAX PAYMENT

I only know multiplayer-wise, but so far I love it.

I still don't know if I like the lethal spies or not, but I have adapted.

The maps are great! The game is pretty tight in the gameplay end, and is a pure team based effort. If youddon't have good communication, you'll lose probably.

But I think the taze , stab is BULLSHIT.

I thought it was bullshit until I tried it. Taze gun has to reload per shot. You miss, you're boned. And since I can't aim worth a damn, I got myself needlessly killed way too many times trying to perfect it.

Gbraga

Originally I manually installed the 1.4GB patch. Someone in this thread said get the new 1.7GB patch instead. After agreeing to the terms, the next page shows all the fixes and I go to click next and the window just freezes. :-\

I have to use task manage to exit. I've restarted my computer numerous times...

so frustrating. Does Uplay not have auto updates?

It does, but it's not working for this game for some reason.

It's like they had to find a way to shit on what would be otherwise a very good PC port on day one, which is news for Ubi.

I'm loving this so far, but am still trying to get my splinter cell legs going, as this is a very different beast from Conviction and previous games.

Its a lot more open ended, with far more avenues to move about, and side paths and alternate routes etc. Add a ton of enemies with some far reaching patrols and a shitton of gadgets and armaments and you've got something that looks to have a lot of replayability and emergent situations.

The strangest aspect of this game for me is how much simpler *and* more difficult it is. Simpler in that if you screw up stealth you always have a ton of firepower to fall back on, and you can always just murder everybody. More difficult in that its easier said than done to do all that murdering if you're forced to do it at any kind of disadvantage (like screwing up stealth). If the enemies have the drop on you, you better have very quick reflexes and an instant plan B or you can get dropped very, very quickly.

The jargon isn't a problem for me, neither is the lack of Ironside. The tone of the game is dark, and this Fisher looks and sounds like a guy who would cross the world over and sneak through miles of a sewer in the pitch black darkness just so he could sneak into your home to slit your throat. No jokes here - this guy is all about the wetwork.

legacyzero

Banned
I thought it was bullshit until I tried it. Taze gun has to reload per shot. You miss, you're boned. And since I can't aim worth a damn, I got myself needlessly killed way too many times trying to perfect it.
I got hit with it twice last night while streaming. I said FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I need some urgent help. If anyone here bought this off of Greenmangaming, where did you get your code for Uplay after you installed it? The code I am putting in does not work in Uplay. The hell is going on?

Shadownet

Banned
I'm loving the gameplay on my ps3 but my god that graphic look like crap!!

I think Conviction was better looking on the Xbox than this.. I would have been more happy if Blacklist was a next gen title with better graphic.

DesertFox

I'm loving this so far, but am still trying to get my splinter cell legs going, as this is a very different beast from Conviction and previous games.

Its a lot more open ended, with far more avenues to move about, and side paths and alternate routes etc. Add a ton of enemies with some far reaching patrols and a shitton of gadgets and armaments and you've got something that looks to have a lot of replayability and emergent situations.

The strangest aspect of this game for me is how much simpler *and* more difficult it is. Simpler in that if you screw up stealth you always have a ton of firepower to fall back on, and you can always just murder everybody. More difficult in that its easier said than done to do all that murdering if you're forced to do it at any kind of disadvantage (like screwing up stealth). If the enemies have the drop on you, you better have very quick reflexes and an instant plan B or you can get dropped very, very quickly.

The jargon isn't a problem for me, neither is the lack of Ironside. The tone of the game is dark, and this Fisher looks and sounds like a guy who would cross the world over and sneak through miles of a sewer in the pitch black darkness just so he could sneak into your home to slit your throat. No jokes here - this guy is all about the wetwork.

Agreed - I'm impressed with the more complicated patrol routes. (Not that far into the game, these are just initial impressions.)

I'm doing a ghost playthrough on perfectionist, so falling back on firepower isn't really a viable option. The checkpoint system is pissing me off because I'll ghost through a section, instinctively try to manually save which as far as I know you can't then get killed and have to replay the entire section up to the point of failure. Really wish this game would let you manually save. I do a lot of experimentation in routes and it's a pain to have to keep backtracking so much.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Good to hear you like it... I'll have to pick this up soon.

And there is some pretty nasty tearing (on the 360, with HD textures installed). Almost entirely in the cinematics but probably otherwise too, but if so I haven't really noticed.

People much more sensitive to tearing may have issues though.

MAX PAYMENT

The strangest aspect of this game for me is how much simpler *and* more difficult it is. Simpler in that if you screw up stealth you always have a ton of firepower to fall back on, and you can always just murder everybody. More difficult in that its easier said than done to do all that murdering if you're forced to do it at any kind of disadvantage (like screwing up stealth). If the enemies have the drop on you, you better have very quick reflexes and an instant plan B or you can get dropped very, very .

I'm glad you mentioned this. Assessing an area, coming up with your own plan A, B, and C and then executing is ridiculously fun. Especially when you're at that moment in plan A attempting to slither past a full body armored, shotgun wielding, anti-spy and the brink of success or failure hinges on perfect timing.

And better yet, if you completely fail a moment like this, you can still potentially get away. Dropping a flash bang/smoke bomb, sprinting away from the armored merc to bust out a window, while possibly hitting an unarmored merc with a running take down is equally as intense as some of the best sneaking moments.

Being able to bust out a window half dead, and then using the great level design to find a new vantage point is awesome.

The great single player combined with some nail bitingly intense multiplayer makes Splinter Cell Blacklist one of the only games that makes me sweat while playing it.

Gaz_RB

Yeah, people made it seem like the story was shitty. Definitely serviceable, and new Sam Fisher is pretty badass, and fits the situation I guess.
After the end of Conviction, I was wondering how the hell they were gonna get Sam back to be the leader of a whole new organization.... I guess him doing it as revenge for Vic kinda makes sense. And I do like the tense dynamic between the team, especially Sam and Briggs. I smell a bromance brewing... if Sam was the bromancing type haha

MAX PAYMENT

I think Conviction was better looking on the Xbox than this.. I would have been more happy if Blacklist was a next gen title with better graphic.

The game looks quite a bit cleaner on Xbox. Maybe it's a resolution thing. They do some really cool stuff with the lighting. I don't think the game looks that bad, and it looks a hell of a lot better than conviction. I marathon ran conviction the 2 days before blacklist release.

Shadownet

Banned
The game looks quite a bit cleaner on Xbox. Maybe it's a resolution thing. They do some really cool stuff with the lighting. I don't think the game looks that bad, and it looks a hell of a lot better than conviction. I marathon ran conviction the 2 days before blacklist release.

Everyone face in Blacklist look so weird. Beside Grim. Charlie's face is the worst.

Sober

Even though the Christmas Hall (aka the very start of American Consumption) you can probably sneak past to the next area in like less than 5 minutes flat, try to KO/kill them all silently. I can tell you right now after spending like almost 2 and a half or 3 hours on trying to do that I still don't know how many guards there were. Also that fucking Christmas song is now etched into my brain, goddamn it.

I actually went on a KO everyone spree for that mission, but what pissed me off the most was when it went to the after-action-report and it told me I missed one. GRRRR.

Bought the game off Green Man Gaming and finally got it to work. I think the default installation path breaks uplay/registry when Windows is set to a different location than north america. So other than wasting some time figuring that out I am really enjoying the game.

I think I've been relying far more on stealth than I ever have with conviction and it's really fun. The AI is super twitchy on realistic and its really easy to get spotted but I also appreciate the extra challenge it provides and how its a bit more difficult to abuse the usual stupidity of AI when it comes to stealth games. Only an hour in so far but its a nice first impression.

More difficult in that its easier said than done to do all that murdering if you're forced to do it at any kind of disadvantage (like screwing up stealth). If the enemies have the drop on you, you better have very quick reflexes and an instant plan B or you can get dropped very, very quickly.

I think this was the case with Conviction as well, or maybe only in challenge/co-op levels. If you weren't attacking from a position of strength it was really easy to get overwhelmed by the enemies and die.

styl3s

Played a few hours on my friends PC earlier and really, really enjoyed it. I am glad they didn't go back to the old SC and did a mix like with the rest and don't punish people who are absolutely awful at stealth games.

My biggest complaint is kind of an absurd one. It's the tiny ears. Why is his ears so small? I don't know why it bugs me so much but whenever i see the guys ears i just roll my eyes and yell THIS IS SILLY. Also, i actually like Eric Johnson as Sam. I know a lot of people are upset that Michael Ironside isn't voicing but much like the MGS franchise i am not THAT invested to care about the change. I welcome it.

MAX PAYMENT

Played a few hours on my friends PC earlier and really, really enjoyed it. I am glad they didn't go back to the old SC and did a mix like with the rest and don't punish people who are absolutely awful at stealth games.

My biggest complaint is kind of an absurd one. It's the tiny ears. Why is his ears so small? I don't know why it bugs me so much but whenever i see the guys ears i just roll my eyes and yell THIS IS SILLY. Also, i actually like Eric Johnson as Sam. I know a lot of people are upset that Michael Ironside isn't voicing but much like the MGS franchise i am not THAT invested to care about the change. I welcome it.
I think only Briggs has super small ears.

DesertFox

My biggest complaint is kind of an absurd one. It's the tiny ears. Why is his ears so small? I don't know why it bugs me so much but whenever i see the guys ears i just roll my eyes and yell THIS IS SILLY.
I think only Briggs has super small ears.

Briggs totally does have tiny ears. I noticed it when they first showed him.

Oddly enough, that's the way the guy looks in real life. I don't understand how it's possible but yes it looks really goofy in the game.

WaqOU56.png

Kazerei

Banned
Does this support Off-TV Play on Wii U?

Any Digital Foundry analysis between console versions yet?

Yes, it supports off-TV play. At the title screen, you're given a chance to swap between the TV and the GamePad, before pressing start to start the game.

Wii U impressions anyone? Can´t find Wii u reviews other than what Ign mentions.

Looks pretty good, maybe not as good as other versions, but it's fine. No screen tearing as far as I can tell, but I have occasionally noticed textures and small things popping in. Frame rate is stable except when there's a lot of activity, like enemies and gunfire and explosions, but if you play steathily it's not an issue 99% of the time. Loading times are really long though. Takes at least two minutes just to start the game. And more than a minute when you start a mission, when you finish a mission, and when you upgrade your base.

Overall I'd say it's a solid port in terms of performance. I guess the major disadvantages of the Wii U version are the lack of local co-op and online player base. If those things are important to you, you might want to re-consider. On the other hand, there are some Wii U specific features like off TV play.

Is it just me or is the character of Sam completely different now? What happened to the wise, mostly silent, mocking and vaguely funny fellow from the first three? Who is this new guy, who tries to act as though he's a smart badass but never quite achieves it? And don't even get me started on the new voice. Should have made Sam into a lambert with Ironside and made a new field character.

styl3s

I don't think the graphics are even that much of a step up on the PC compared to Conviction. Granted, i wasn't playing on super maxed out everything. Some textures were muddy looking.

Also, this game has sparked a full on interested of a 24 re-watch which depresses me because it isn't on blu-ray /sadface

tebunker

Banned
Played a couple of missions on the WiiU version.

Only complaints are the long load times, no offline co-op, and the occasional system lock up playing on line. Otherwise I really like the off screen play and the use of the gamepad. Things like using the screen for gadgets and looking under doors. It's little simple stuff that just adds to the game. Changing items and guns on the pad is solid too

I think the game loks solid, no tearing and barely any other hiccups. Solid port, worth it in my eyes for fans of the genre.

Agree on all counts. Playing on Realistic, you have to be ready to execute any given moment, which makes getting the KO's to build up your executes super important. It's a resource. Love the fact that you can execute non-lethally (oxymoron?). ultimately the game balances methodical and spontaneous really well.

Gaz_RB

Is it just me or is the character of Sam completely different now? What happened to the wise, mostly silent, mocking and vaguely funny fellow from the first three? Who is this new guy, who tries to act as though he's a smart badass but never quite achieves it? And don't even get me started on the new voice. Should have made Sam into a lambert with Ironside and made a new field character.

We know...

You gotta move on and enjoy the game.

Kazerei

Banned
Even though the Christmas Hall (aka the very start of American Consumption) you can probably sneak past to the next area in like less than 5 minutes flat, try to KO/kill them all silently. I can tell you right now after spending like almost 2 and a half or 3 hours on trying to do that I still don't know how many guards there were. Also that fucking Christmas song is now etched into my brain, goddamn it.

I actually went on a KO everyone spree for that mission, but what pissed me off the most was when it went to the after-action-report and it told me I missed one. GRRRR.

Oh man, I love that area. It's basically one giant sandbox. You just have to get from one end of the hall to the other, and how you do it is totally flexible. There's all sorts of furniture and constructs to climb and hide and move in between, and plenty of enemies chatting and patrolling along the way. I'm gonna upgrade my sniper rifle and play it again :p

Remmy2112

Spies vs. Mercs classic and blacklist feels so damn different. I kind of wish blacklist incorporated more elements of classic, like more darkness and flashlights.

Grisby

You better believe I extracted after the first 5 rounds. Was kind of tough solo.

Was pretty cool how the AI was back to back sniffing me out at one point. Couldn't sneak up on them.

I agree that blacklist doesn't look so hot. I'm on 360 and I'm pretty sure Conviction impressed me more graphically.

Schnozberry

Hard to tell. WiiU version looks darker, but video quality sucks. Well....gonna buy the 360 version. Was really into supporting WiiU and buying this game for the system, but the reports of slowdown, no community and no local co op killed it for me.

Online co-op works pretty slick, thankfully. And the slowdown on the Wii U version is a lot less frequent and distracting than the awful screen tearing on my friend's 360 copy. I also didn't have much trouble finding online matches yesterday evening, but clearly the difference in install base is going to make for a smaller community.

Your call, of course, but I just thought I'd give a different perspective.

Top Bottom