• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Grisby

Tried Grimm's first optional mission and it was a lot of fun. Since there is no checkpointing and you can't be spotted it got kind of tense. I was a big Conviction fan but this definitely feels like it's a little more true to old form.

Some more bits:
-Modeling on the characters is terrible. Some have dead eyes, the black guy looks like he's missing another texture layer and Grimm is the unholy spawn of Satan. Sam looks like he took a page from Chris Redfield's boulder punching handbook.
-On another graphical note the environments look alright. Tearing is there on the 360 one though. Not all the time but definitely noticeable.
-The plane hub is a neat idea, bit useless at the moment but neat. Like how everything is integrated. Daily challenge (?) objectives are cool.
-Not too put off by the story. Nothing special but it's nothing offensive either. God, I do miss Ironside though. New guy isn't bad but if they wanted to go that route they should have just done a prequel where Sam was super young or something.
-Dogs. The bane of my looking under doors.

Haven't tried Spies Vs Mercs yet and I'm not really far into the game but I'm having a decent time.

Double D

Ok so about those optional missions. You're talking about when you talk to each of your homies on the plane and you press a button to start their mission or whatever? I was wondering what that was all about. Should you wait to do them, do them immediately, or does it matter?

Gaz_RB

Ok so about those optional missions. You're talking about when you talk to each of your homies on the plane and you press a button to start their mission or whatever? I was wondering what that was all about. Should you wait to do them, do them immediately, or does it matter?

Doesn't really matter, they're meant to be repeatable. You can get some new upgrades for finishing them all though.

Side note: Charlie's missions are hard as balls

Reinstalling as nothing worked, oh well. Hour until the download is over.

How is the PC version for those playing? Uncompressed video, good textures, and proper use of tessellation all around I'd hope?

Gaz_RB

Yeah, been playing on Realistic, just finished the Estate mission but I could not figure out a way to just avoid the dogs. Well, maybe with some more patience I guess.

I had to just take em out like the hardcore action here Sam Fisher is.

with my taser gun cause they're just too cute

FrsDvl

Yeah, been playing on Realistic, just finished the Estate mission but I could not figure out a way to just avoid the dogs. Well, maybe with some more patience I guess.

Use the
noise maker
I spent 2.5 hours on the first mission on realistic but got 100% ghost. Lots of retries though.

Did you have the second version of the patch and not the first? When I tried to install the 1.4gb version it didn't want to install correctly, once I downloaded and ran the 1.7 version it ran just fine.

Thanks for this I had the 1.4. Do you know where the patches are installing? driving me crazy

DrBo42

So good on PC. Been playing on Perfectionist and I think that's a huge mistake for the first playthrough. Even though it's absolutely doable it feels off like the game just isn't built for it. Huge improvement over Conviction though IMO.

I am really enjoying the game. My one complaint is Sam is almost too quick with some of his movements. They slowed up the pipe crawling from conviction but the climbing is very uncharted-like. I am enjoying the size and variation in the levels and Spies vs Mercs is a bit of a stab-fest but I can't stop playing... til I did to type this.

haikira

Just noticed something neat while replaying mission two in
Benghazi, Libya

First time I played the mission, I reached the end in stealth with
Kobin
and simply got extracted. Second time I reached that section loud and it set off a different event. A whole load of enemies started coming in different angles and I had to take care of them, before I could exit.

Just thought it was a nice touch, how'd it play out a little different, depending on how you approached it.

Just finished the fourth mission before that. I'm really digging the game so far. I have a few nit picks, such as the context sensitive controls can be extremely annoying, when there's a bunch of stuff beside each other. But this is definitely the best Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory, by quite a lot.

Grisby

Pretty sure one of the VA's was the voice of Adam Jensen from Deus Ex.
I had to just take em out like the hardcore action here Sam Fisher is.

with my taser gun cause they're just too cute
Have to admit the first time I knocked one out and tried to hide the body I accidentally pressed 'throw' instead and the dog comically rag dolled into a bush.

haikira

I'm on PC. Can't play Spies Vs Mercs until Friday, because i've unlocked the game early. I'm in the UK. But once Friday comes, I'd love to get in on any multiplayer action that's going on with you guys.

Kazerei

Banned
Bought the Wii U version at Walmart. If anyone wants a code for the "protect and defend" pack, PM me.

I've only played the intro and the first mission, and so far so good. No screen tearing, and frame rate was stable. I didn't get into any firefights or cause any explosions though. I suppose stuff like that could cause the framerate to stumble. The loading times are really long though, like over a minute. But the missions are loaded completely, so you only have to wait once at the start of a mission. It's just annoying that every time you upgrade the base, you have to wait a minute as the new environment gets loaded.

My play style was somewhere between Ghost and Panther. If you want a stealth game, Blacklist really does let you go pure stealth ... although I've heard there may be a few exceptions where you don't have the choice. I'm really happy with the gameplay so far. This may be premature, but I'd rank this game right up there with Chaos Theory.

cLOUDo

uMaVj1Z.png

Next-Gen?

ok, not

Pooya

that patch notes for PC version is scary :\ I'm getting Future Soldier flashbacks, it' playable I take it? safe to shell out money?

The Multiplayer on the PC version is some of the most fun I've had in a very very long time. I've been playing it all day and haven't even touched single player yet. Sooooo good.

To add there is no lag and seemingly everything is working amazing Day 1 when it comes to SvM. Everytime I feel some strategy is broken I figure out how to counter it. GJ Ubi.

(Btw I bought it on steam, sorry for you guys having trouble with the Uplay ver.)

Kydd BlaZe

This shit is giving me all sorts of issues on PC. Currently trying to manually install the damn patch.

I will never fucking buy another Ubisoft game on PC ever again. My goodness...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This shit is giving me all sorts of issues on PC. Currently trying to manually install the damn patch.

I will never fucking buy another Ubisoft game on PC ever again. My goodness...

Steam? Because it's Uplay that is the pain in the ass than the Steam version it seems.

Re-installed the game

"There was a problem starting your game, the ubisoft game launcher was not found. Please try re-installing the game"

WHAT THE FUCK

i6HsEhS2OyzKE.PNG

What do I need to move? Twice I've done the game, I'm not redownloading it.

Edit: Can I re-install Uplay and move the folder? This is unbelievable.

Edit 2:
i11gXWEhzUqcm.PNG

This is how Uplay shows up now, how did it fuck itself up :/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Everyone that has it on PC either got it for $25 by someone selling their code or redeemed their Nvidia promo code that is UPLAY ONLY. That's why. I don't think anyone that has gotten it so far has bought it on Steam with a few exceptions.

I did see a few people at Gamestop today picking up 360 copies though, so hopefully it's going to get a multiplayer community going no matter the platform.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Everyone that has it on PC either got it for $25 by someone selling their code or redeemed their Nvidia promo code that is UPLAY ONLY. That's why. I don't think anyone that has gotten it so far has bought it on Steam with a few exceptions.

I did see a few people at Gamestop today picking up 360 copies though, so hopefully it's going to get a multiplayer community going no matter the platform.

That makes sense. I didn't realize there was a promo going around.

Did this game sell like... zero copies on Steam?

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

More people are playing Medal of Honor multiplayer...

Perhaps the game doesn't report stats like others?

I have the Steam version. When I played it, it didn't register that I had played it. It doesn't show on my list of recently played games and I can't see how many hours I've played so far (even though when I launch the game, it says I'm playing Blacklist on Steam). So it might be that Steam isn't keeping track of people who are playing it for some reason. Or it could just be me, I don't know.

Re-installed Uplay and the game now picks up the new version of Uplay......but no matter what exe I choose, whether I launch it from uplay or, and so on the game immediately closes after launch and thanks me for playing.

Uplay is a horrible abomination.

At least it makes sure to spend 20 seconds validating my system upon each launch before crashing now. Thanks Ubisoft!

Edit: launched the non DX11 exe as administrator which finally launched it and upon quitting out found the game could be launched normally. How bizarre. In any case, time to finally play this damn game.

FrsDvl

When I lost my save on PC earlier I figured I'll quickly run through the mission that I finished, on normal difficulty. What a joke! Ran through it in less than 10 minutes without dying once. Realistic is definitely the way to go, or perfectionist, if you're tough.

Smokey

What patch are you guys talking about on PC? I just played through the first mission with no problems (bought on Steam)?

Wow, maybe I'll get used to it but I was actually shocked when Sam Fisher was called out as being.......Sam Fisher. He looks like Commander Shepard and the new guy sounds totally different. We'll see if I get used to this.

Changed the settings to DX11.....and it won't work again instantly closing. What in the christ is up with these game. I flat out can't run the game when it launches via DX11, does anyone else have the issue? At least I found out what it is I guess. Have the new Nvidia drivers and a GTX670. Shouldn't be an issue. Am running Windows 8.1 beta but again, that shouldn't change anything.

Anyone faced similar DX11 issues? Any advice on how to fix it?

legacyzero

Banned
Just got done streaming for an hour and a half. Plan on doing more tomorrow.

Spies Versus Mercenaries is awesome just like I hoped it would be!

http://www.twitch.tv/legacyzero/b/448985822

EDIT: Wow, I didn't think my stream quality was that good. Somebody has said it in the chat, but that's a surprise. I probably could go even better if I figure out how :/

Effect

Maybe I shouldn't have waited. Most stores in my area are saying low stock/call, or simply not available for pick up when it comes to the Wii U version. Can always order from Amazon but was thinking of picking up the game after work tomorrow or at the end of the week. Guess I'll see how it goes.

I am, and enjoying the single player a lot, only played a lil bit online

Add me J-Mizzal or do you mind if I add you?
I did too.

GAMERatHEART IS MY ID. We might already be friends, I don't know anymore!

I somehow got into a match in both vs and coop on my first attempts. I came back a few hours during typical prime hours an failed too join or have someone join for a while. It's really weird. I know the population won't be great, but I'm starting to wonder if its something on their end.

You available now for some coop?

Top Bottom