• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

SvM is a lot of fun. Spies seem a little overpowered maybe perhaps I just don't understand merc too well either yet. Not overpowered to the point of broken by any means, we'll see though when shit starts getting unlocked.

Sorry, I just had to stop and take a screenshot.

zlCfzRGSyLwZhKUuS6

SvM is a lot of fun. Spies seem a little overpowered maybe perhaps I just don't understand merc too well either yet. Not overpowered to the point of broken by any means, we'll see though when shit starts getting unlocked.

With default loadouts spy is better than merc. Once you get custom loadouts I think merc is better than spy.

Also if you don't know already a merc melee is a one hit kill just like spies melee.

Seemingly whoever hits first wins.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sorry, I just had to stop and take a screenshot.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRGSyLwZhKUuS6

LMAO that's perfect. Fucking dog ruined my perfect run until I recheckpointed and somehow staying on the wall prevents it from picking you up. Oh, AI...

Korbin Extraction
isn't possible to ghost? Seems like since you're having them tag along you can't use your silent abilities and the stealth gun "stealth kills" which is "WTF" since it's supposed to be "non-lethal."

Edit: It seems like Ghosting for that bit isn't possible until you get better equipment so Sober has the right idea: Play on a lower difficulty to unlock everything required then do a perfectionist run if you're going the ghost route. Since it seems impossible (I'd love to be proven wrong) with the starting gadgets before you get the ability to unlock stuff for the first few missions.

TheSeks

AHAH! GOT IT! SPOILER for gameplay for those that want to figure it out on their own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZfVrqEqDJU <---Don't click!

Pop them in the ass since they aren't wearing body armor there, the stun gun will stun. If you pop them in the head it kills them. Guess it's true to real-life stunguns where hitting vital spots will possibly kill someone.

DesertFox

Korbin Extraction
isn't possible to ghost? Seems like since you're having them tag along you can't use your silent abilities and the stealth gun "stealth kills" which is "WTF" since it's supposed to be "non-lethal."
Sleep gas grenade through the vent. Do 1 Grim mission and you'll have the cash for it.

TheSeks

Sleep gas grenade through the vent. Do 1 Grim mission and you'll have the cash for it.

I'll have to replay to do that I guess. I doubt I can replay the mission until I beat the game though. :/

That said 2860 in the world for that mission. Dunno if that's just the PC version or all the platforms, so not too shabby.

Shinta

Banned
I just played Briggs mission 1 with a friend. Wow! That was super fun. I loved how it ended with
your partner covering you with drone strikes. The best part is you can mark enemies and they see it from their camera
. Lots of fun with a friend.

What am I missing with this (late location spoilers)
train sequence
? I breach the window and die instantly, can't see any alternate paths.

Whole section is awful, cover doesn't work half the time in it.

And lol at the dog glitch.

Scoot2005

Banned
C'mon, where are all the Wii U SvM players at? We need to exchange account info here.

My NID is in my profile. PM me and I'll check for it after work. I won't have the game until next week(fucking Amazon being slow) and I'm gonna do some SP first.... But I'll be on eventually.

Edit - And I don't mute my mic like a lot of the people on ME3. Dickheads.

Fair warning that the last 10 seconds of the mission
Trainyard
or whatever is impossible to ghost as far as I know.

I have to admit I am really liking this game. Better than Conviction and Double Agent (360 anyways) by light years. There are a couple mandatory action-y type sections that you can almost always ghost. I forgive these because Slaughterhouse and Bathhouse had sections somewhat similar as well.

Edit: I lied I think. I never bought the tri-rotor, and with it I think ghosting that last portion might be possible.

d00d3n

I am liking the game, but the ghost/panther/assault rewards system confuses me. It seems like the game rewards sticking to a "pure" style, which is unfortunate for me, because I think the game is more fun when you mix things up with both ghost and panther. I see no need to murder a low level guard straggler (preferring to knock him out), but if I am facing many enemies or seriously pressed for time, ofc I am going to use my silenced pistol including mark/execute. If I understand things correctly, this means that I will rarely or never reach the score treshold for any single playing style after finishing a mission, which is a shame.

Yuripaw

Banned
Does anyone have any links they could share for some gameplay for the Wii U version someone has uploaded? I try searching on youtube, but even when you type in a specific system name, I'm still getting results with PC gameplay, and PS3 gameplay, etc...

SJRB

Gold Member
I wonder if there is Sam/Kobin fan fiction, I'll have to check after I finish.

Deviantart probably has some.. "Fanart".

Also, picking this up for PS3 later today to keep me occupied until GTAV hits. Watched some streams on Twitch and was surprised at the amount of stealth/sneaking (even though it still has stupid Michael Bay-esque escape explosions scenes).

Also, is Grim's face modelled after an actress other than the voice actress? She looks super familiar for some reason.

Does anyone have any links they could share for some gameplay for the Wii U version someone has uploaded? I try searching on youtube, but even when you type in a specific system name, I'm still getting results with PC gameplay, and PS3 gameplay, etc...

Search for "wiiu blacklist" and then filter results to show just last 24hrs ("todays") videos

You'll get plenty of vids e.g

Splinter Cell: Blacklist Wii U (single player)

Wii U Splinter Cell: Blacklist Online Multiplayer Gameplay ("Spies vs. Mercs")

Splinter Cell Blacklist Wii U - Spies Vs Mercs : Classic Mode - Virus Vault

Managed to get a game in SvM Wii U at the first attempt around 1:30 this morning :D

Didn't freeze or anything. Started off with just 3 people, but after a couple games, we had 6 players (just when I decided to go to bed). I still haven't had success accepting invites from friends. That plus the freezing issue means a lot of Wii U players just aren't bothering to even try.

Oh, and this is the first time I ever played SvM and so far I really don't like playing as a Merc :/

Holy shit, Sam's voice! Ugh... I knew Ironside was no longer the VA but I wasn't ready for this. Its so jarring and completely kills the cutscenes for me, along with Sam's face.

played a lot more of the single player on PC and noticed: its remarkably smoother than launch day!-even with everything maxed at 1920 x 1080p, was there a steam update? I had to drop things to med-high settings first day-

GTX 780
i5 2500k @ 4.0

such a great looking game-

When playing as a Merc and 'detected' shows up at the sides of the screen, does that mean I'm supposed to be able to see the Spy or something?

Managed to get a game in SvM Wii U at the first attempt around 1:30 this morning :D

Didn't freeze or anything. Started off with just 3 people, but after a couple games, we had 6 players (just when I decided to go to bed). I still haven't had success accepting invites from friends. That plus the freezing issue means a lot of Wii U players just aren't bothering to even try.

Oh, and this is the first time I ever played SvM and so far I really don't like playing as a Merc :/

It can be stressful now that the spies kill so easily, for sure. The key is to take corners and everything slowly. The rush of finding a spy and ending their capture though is more satisfying than most things i can do as a spy though.

haikira

Can't wait to play Spies Vs Mercs on the PC. Just waiting on the unlock tomorrow afternoon. Really annoyed how Steam isn't picking up and logging my game time, while I'm using the VPN to play single player. I have problems, I know.

Only about half way through the game, if I had to guess. Having a lot of fun replaying missions, striving to pull them off perfectly. A few nit picks aside, I think it's a bloody good game so far.

It's probably time I finally get the crossbow. I'll miss the taser though. It's giving me Syphon Filter nostalgia, except it doesn't cause people to burst in to flames, of course.

It can be stressful now that the spies kill so easily, for sure. The key is to take corners and everything slowly. The rush of finding a spy and ending their capture though is more satisfying than most things i can do as a spy though.

I think some of my trouble comes from disliking analog aiming. I've barely ever played an FPS with analog sticks before.

haikira

So is my surmising that if I feel Chaos Theory was the best game in the series I won't like this one correct?

Chaos Theory is one of my favourite games ever. Blacklist is by no means perfect, but it's much closer to Chaos Theory than previous entries and is just a solid game. I'd recommend giving it a go.

Just my opinion though.

Double D

Any more performance reports?

Maybe turning down AO would help? I need those 60fps. I'll probably waste all my free time today with tweaks if it starts dropping below 50.

Figured I'd give an update after playing again last night. That was it. Turned down SSAO one notch and everything else is maxed. No drops from 60 except sometimes when I enter a new section. Thanks.

Sober

AHAH! GOT IT! SPOILER for gameplay for those that want to figure it out on their own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZfVrqEqDJU <---Don't click!

Pop them in the ass since they aren't wearing body armor there, the stun gun will stun. If you pop them in the head it kills them. Guess it's true to real-life stunguns where hitting vital spots will possibly kill someone.
Huh, did not know that. Most of my shots
hit the torso though I did notice a few times where a stun gun/sticky shocker shot would just knock off helmets if they hit in the head rather than take them out.

Also TheSeks you might be disappointed because
there will be some more parts throughout levels where you MUST disable enemies to proceed so you'll just have to get used to it, though using stuff like sleeping gas, etc will still give you ghost points. In regards to Benghazi I don't think you can actually ghost out with Kobin as I believe the first enemy (if not all 3) are pretty much in your way.

I believe they take that into account when they final score you on say ghost mastery since required KOs still show up on the list.

Sloane

Banned
First mission was decent, much more stealth than in Conviction.

Is it somehow possible to create multiple saveslots on PC / uPlay? Even if I move the savegame directory, the stupid cloud downloads the savegame again...

Gaz_RB

At first I kinda hated Charlie's horde missions but they are actually pretty awesome. Kinda reminds me of the last sequence in Skyfall. Setting up proximity mines at all the entrances while keeping an eye on the enemy through your sticky cam is thrilling. The waves are nice and varied, with some new objectives spread throughout. I'm trying to do an all stealth run of all 20 waves and it's challenging my stealth skills in really emergent ways, which is nice to see nowadays, instead of just doing what it seems like the developer wants you to do. Coop just makes it that much more fun.

When playing as a Merc and 'detected' shows up at the sides of the screen, does that mean I'm supposed to be able to see the Spy or something?

That means an intel spy has marked you on the map for his team.

Am I missing something or are the dogs supposed to be annoying as fuck and suck all of the fun out of the game?

I thought that at first too, but turns out its just another challenge that is easy to overcome once you get used to it. Trick is to stay high out of reach, and if they do end up coming a you while you're on the ground, mash the x button in their direction and you'll knock it out with a nice kick to the face. Takes some practice, but I hope the fun unsucks from your game. Dogs are not a reason to not enjoy this game.

TheSeks

Well, Sober I restarted on the tip of doing Grim's first mission for the equipment for that mission. Gonna see if that help but Where the fuck is the laptop? I'm doing it solo and the room it's in seems to want a dual-breach which is no go. I can get the objectives done with no issue/no alerts but reaching that laptop seems impossible. I can replay the mission right after and go for that, right?

Also restarting your story before finishing will erase your progress despite it saying it won't. Spys vs Merc seems to be untouched so that's correct but your equipment is wiped as is your money back to the $70,000 default.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
So I was about to hack a laptop in one of the missions, there was a guy using it and I was above him, so I did the whole attack from above thing and jumped down, bashing his head right into, and breaking the laptop. : /

TheSeks

So I was about to hack a laptop in one of the missions, there was a guy using it and I was above him, so I did the whole attack from above thing and jumped down, bashing his head right into, and breaking the laptop. : /

That sounds realistic. Don't smash someone from above if you don't want to break laptops, dude. :p

haikira

Is it better optimised on the PC than Conviction?

For me, it's definitely been better. I've got two 670s and when I revisited conviction recently, I was still getting some pretty big drops at random locations. About three or four hours into blacklist, running on ultra and 1080p, it's been perfect.

Top Bottom