• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

DrBo42

Extra challenge to anyone playing primarily ghost: try to avoid using the cover-to-cover system for navigation (you can still use sticky cover/back-to-wall). Honestly it feels like free movement points even on Realistic difficulty. You can go full speed cover to cover but they don't hear it but they will hear you coming up behind them any other time. I mean, if you want to go for the old school SC feel. Yeah two speeds kinda sucks (well CTE kinda slows you down noticeably I think) but it still works out well.

Any reason you're avoiding perfectionist?

Sober

You can ghost and "Panther"/Conviction non-Lethal so yeah, it's already a remarkable improvement over Pooviction.

SvM PC is completely broke for me though. Try to spawn and it's "Sending data..." hangs and then I get kicked for "idling" Somehow I played a few rounds with no issues and made it to rank 5 to try TDM which... no one is playing. Neither capture or extraction. *sigh*

Singleplayer is pretty good, I'm loving the fact they give you a bonus for not touching enemies. But
how the fuck do you ghost/no touch the first VIP in the first story mission outside the intro? I can't seem to figure that out and "Panther"/Ghost knock-out people with the noise maker in that room and then freed him but it counted as a Panther.
WTF?

Still haven't finished that mission yet. Gotta do a little more later but Perfectionist is great. I'm loving the fact that easy-mode Mark and Execute isn't in it but you can mark enemies to keep track of where they are. I've been moving quick and trying to not touch too many enemies which has been pretty intense in that
"Blaire move away from there!"/chase
bit.

But I HATE how they basically brush Conviction under the rug kinda.
"Grim about last game..." "Dunwrryitk." "...K."/"Korbin fake killed my daughter." Me: "Didn't Grim kill him at the end of Conviction?" "Isn't he supposed to be dead?" "Yeah, we dunno why he isn't. PLOT HOLE!(?)!"

And I think Grim AND Sam look better in Conviction. Hell the models in general look better in Conviction. But the lighting is pretty good, I'm guessing that's some DX11 features wowing me in the DX11 version.

What first VIP
in Benghazi? You are forced to KO for the "dead" guy and and to rescue real Kobin
? Or do you mean the High Value Target? You have to replay it to avoid him, as when you capture and pass the checkpoint, it counts; that NPC will still exist but no longer be required (nor any secondary objectives).

Oh btw they kinda brushed over Conviction but if you look under the extras section, it has a glossary of character bios, a recap of DA, Conviction and Meggido is in there too.

Any reason you're avoiding perfectionist?
Replay value maybe. Or I would rather learn all the maps personally before trying it. But I'm mostly playing LIKE perfectionist anyway on realistic, trying to full ghost (some KOs), no ammo box use, execute is bound to '[' (I need to rebind this for SvM I learned, lol) so I don't touch it. I've gone full retard.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What first VIP
in Benghazi? You are forced to KO for the "dead" guy and and to rescue real Kobin
? Or do you mean the High Value Target? You have to replay it to avoid him, as when you capture and pass the checkpoint, it counts; that NPC will still exist but no longer be required (nor any secondary objectives).

Oh, you can pass completely over that? It's my first run through that mission so I didn't know you could do that. Is it even possible for that first run?

As for SvM, I'm playing it (like the singleplayer) completely on a 360 controller on the PC version. I dunno, that's how I've played the series (controller only) and I can't really see myself playing it with keyboard and mouse so I fully expect to be owned in the SvM mode when I attempt to get to level 10 for the achievement and then forget the multiplayer.

Sober

Oh, you can pass completely over that? It's my first run through that mission so I didn't know you could do that. Is it even possible for that first run?

As for SvM, I'm playing it (like the singleplayer) completely on a 360 controller on the PC version. I dunno, that's how I've played the series (controller only) and I can't really see myself playing it with keyboard and mouse so I fully expect to be owned in the SvM mode when I attempt to get to level 10 for the achievement and then forget the multiplayer.
Umm, secondary objectives only spawn once ever, I believe (or maybe difficulty). You have to hit the next checkpoint to have the HVT bag&tag count, so if you want to reward (and the UI element off your screen) you eventually have to do it, even if it isn't playthrough #1.

Also to answer your question
you can go around him if that's what you mean, the window is there but if you keep following the wall there is a door that leads to the room with the ammo box, aka the room you walk out of after that bag & tag

TheSeks

No, that is required, it is actually an objective "Kill or knockout the militia" (in that room).

So there's no way to pure ghost that section? That's what I'm wondering about.

The game is better than I expected, although as Conviction it still very much rewards momentum much more than it should. I have very little reason to time most of the stuff, or to even learn patterns because I have an easy time killing unnoticed, and overall feel more like a movie hero that has the speed and agility of a Ninja. You can go from kill to kill to cover to kill without much effort.

It pains me to say it but it ends up lacking the tension and planning that TLOU had, even though that game isn't exactly the gold standard for stealth. I do like though that even when the game forces an action sequence on you, shooting isn't the only option. And there's a level of excitement that comes about using smoke grenades to anticipate these waves of enemies coming in, helping in outflanking them like the goddamn Batman and clean the house with only a knife.

Presentation is much much improved over previous games too, with the story and characters actually being a thing here.

So there's no way to pure ghost that section? That's what I'm wondering about.

Smoke grenades and flanking. I killed all those guys either covered in smoke or behind the back without anybody seeing me or shooting at me.

TheSeks

Smoke grenades and flanking. I killed all those guys either covered in smoke or behind the back without anybody seeing me or shooting at me.

Smoke counts as Panther.

And yeah, Ghosting isn't just that but I'm trying to get the pure ghost bonus which doesn't seem possible there since you have to touch enemies and it counts as a Panther action.

Shadownet

Banned
Anyone wanna play on PS3 add me? Looking for MvS and Co-Op buddies.

Just played co-op with a stranger. The guy keep getting detected..

PSN: ShadownetX

Grisby

I didn't realize how much I missed Spies Vs Mercs. I...I didn't realize.

So much fun. I can;t remember though, did the spies ever have the ability to kill from the front in Chaos Theory? I'm sure they couldn't in PT but I'm unsure of CT. Feels a little overpowered.

So tense and rewarding just staying still during a hack.

Mayyhem

Multiplayer in this game is SO much fun with Friends. I can't get enough

Edit: BTW Add me if you want to play some games sometiems: GT: Mayyhem

Sigh.

Just bought it and downloaded all 18 gigs. Installed and the game runs terribly on my system. My machine well exceeds minimum specs except that my vid card has the listed minimum 512MB of memory. Sadly, I'm getting sub-20fps, terrible stutter and computer lockups. I even set it to 720p, everything low or off and no improvement. There goes $70 down the drain.

I can't imagine I can possibly get a refund. I bought it through Steam, but its essentially just a key that gets redeemed and played through uPlay. No way both of those huge corporations is going to work together to get me a refund. :(

JambiBum

I didn't realize how much I missed Spies Vs Mercs. I...I didn't realize.

So much fun. I can;t remember though, did the spies ever have the ability to kill from the front in Chaos Theory? I'm sure they couldn't in PT but I'm unsure of CT. Feels a little overpowered.

So tense and rewarding just staying still during a hack.

No, only way a spy could kill was from the back or jumping on heads. I actually like being able to kill from the front because it makes sense. Like, why the hell wouldn't you be able to slit someone's throat from the front? I much prefer classic instead of blacklist though.

TheSeks

Sigh.

Just bought it and downloaded all 18 gigs. Installed and the game runs terribly on my system. My machine well exceeds minimum specs except that my vid card has the listed minimum 512MB of memory. Sadly, I'm getting sub-20fps, terrible stutter and computer lockups. I even set it to 720p, everything low or off and no improvement. There goes $70 down the drain.

I can't imagine I can possibly get a refund. I bought it through Steam, but its essentially just a key that gets redeemed and played through uPlay. No way both of those huge corporations is going to work together to get me a refund. :(

Save your money and get a better video card and then that $70 isn't wasted?

If your other specs are fine and your video card isn't, seems like a no brainer to put the game on hold and get a better video card.

Grisby

No, only way a spy could kill was from the back or jumping on heads. I actually like being able to kill from the front because it makes sense. Like, why the hell wouldn't you be able to slit someone's throat from the front? I much prefer classic instead of blacklist though.
That's what I thought.

Havent tried classic yet, will tommorow. Making mad bucks for the plane.

And Friend invites don't seem to work

They are mixed for me.

It works sometimes and other times it doesnt. Its super fucking weird and has me paranoid its my NAT or router, but its in the DMZ so that shouldnt be it.

Lets try to play together tonight. Im trying desperately to play through the briggs mission with one friend.

jmizzal

They are mixed for me.

It works sometimes and other times it doesnt. Its super fucking weird and has me paranoid its my NAT or router, but its in the DMZ so that shouldnt be it.

Lets try to play together tonight. Im trying desperately to play through the briggs mission with one friend.

Yea invites work sometimes, it def needs a patch that and some of the freezing. I did get to play a co-op with a random person.

I seen u online in co-op you can try to invite me in if u can

Everdred

Anyone that wants to play Co-Op or SvM on PC, my Uplay is strange_booj.

On a side note: I think this game has finally pushed me over the edge on PC. It's the second game I bought recently (Grid 2, couldn't find an online game 2 weeks after launch.) where the online is hardly populated, even at launch. I haven't had issues finding games yet but you can tell it's not very populated and will possibly die out shortly after launch. On top of that there are so many issues with all the versions; troubles launching, bad performance, crashes... etc.

I had to go into my system files and launch a blacklist_game.exe because the game wouldn't even launch from Uplay. The dx11 version just crashes.

I don't understand how these games can even launch. I would be completely OK with them pushing the release back a couple weeks if all this was sorted out. It just causes negative press and kills the communities.

TL;DR: I won't be purchasing any more PC titles at launch unless I'm 100% sure the population won't die out shortly. So basically, Valve titles, Battlefield and exclusive PC titles. Everything else will be purchased on console.

They are mixed for me.

I did get an invite from you earlier, but it said unable to connect or something.

danielcw

is there a way to display frames per second on the PC version?
I have a Radeon HD 7770, if it matters, or somebody wants to tell me his config.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I got this game through a geforce promotion on PC. I never really was into Splinter Cell but man this game is sweet. The intro was fantastic and it looks amazing on Ultra settings. I also have Conviction but have yet to get into it.

Smoke counts as Panther.

And yeah, Ghosting isn't just that but I'm trying to get the pure ghost bonus which doesn't seem possible there since you have to touch enemies and it counts as a Panther action.

Oh really? Well then this game is fucking dumb. It's impossible to go through that sequence without touching enemies.

Personally I kill with the knife because I think going non lethal is just weird, but you would think if you just knocked them out it would count as ghost.

is there quicksave

Nope, checkpoints are pretty well placed though.

Going to ask again, is blood not appearing for anyone else in DX11 mode?

And I find doing ghost runs quite fulfilling, sneaking about and using the various sound gadgets to get around feels more challenging but just as fun in its own way as blasting my way about.

JambiBum

Oh really? Well then this game is fucking dumb. It's impossible to go through that sequence without touching enemies.

Personally I kill with the knife because I think going non lethal is just weird, but you would think if you just knocked them out it would count as ghost.

Knocking them out does count as ghost. You don't have to avoid every single person. Basically, all non lethal things are ghost, then stealth killing is panther, no stealth is obviously assault.

malfcn

So how are people liking this game? Better than Conviction? Too many games this time of year..and new consoles. Trying not to break the bank.

DrBo42

So how are people liking this game? Better than Conviction? Too many games this time of year..and new consoles. Trying not to break the bank.

Way better than Conviction IMO. As for bang for your buck it's highly dependent on your enjoyment of Spies Vs Mercs.

malfcn

Way better than Conviction IMO. As for bang for your buck it's highly dependent on your enjoyment of Spies Vs Mercs.

Conviction was my first and only SC game. It felt all run and gun, and I thought the story was a little silly. There was a lot of broken things like Executing people through walls and stuff too. Never played the MP.

Top Bottom