• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Sober

Oh man...I was liking this game so much, I thought it was too good to be true, then I got to a certain mission in Philadelphia......no spoilers. But man....who the hell thought that was a good idea?
It's a bit of trial and error, moreso depending on your difficulty. On realistic I had no real problems but for that map I kinda went full panther on them anyway. Might be tough as balls to ghost some sections. I didn't have scoring on but
do you get scored when playing FPS Briggs?

Also end of Philly spoiler but
how the fuck do you breach into the last train car with the 2 guards reliably? Shame the checkpoint is from sooo far behind. I'll break the window and on realistic I'll get smoked as soon as I drop in. Only solution I found was to sonar and mark and execute asap when I drop into the room.
But wondering what to do when it comes to Perfectionist difficulty there.

It's a bit of trial and error, moreso depending on your difficulty. On realistic I had no real problems but for that map I kinda went full panther on them anyway. Might be tough as balls to ghost some sections. I didn't have scoring on but
do you get scored when playing FPS Briggs?

Also end of Philly spoiler but
how the fuck do you breach into the last train car with the 2 guards reliably? Shame the checkpoint is from sooo far behind. I'll break the window and on realistic I'll get smoked as soon as I drop in. Only solution I found was to sonar and mark and execute asap when I drop into the room.
But wondering what to do when it comes to Perfectionist difficulty there.

Hint...you have options, smoke, sleep gas, flashbangs....save your mark and execute for the breaking through the glass section.

About to fire this up, finally! A few questions:

1. Does Amon Tobin have any music in this?
2. Is there any IDM/electronic music at all?
3. Are there any cool uses of licensed songs ala (major Conviction spoilers)
the use of DJ Shadow in the rampage/escape scene
?
4. How's the co-op?

Sober

Hint...you have options, smoke, sleep gas, flashbangs....save your mark and execute for the breaking through the glass section.
Oh no I definitely didn't have an issue until the final part of the mission but I was just trying to figure out what to do in perfectionist difficulty since it's already pretty insta-kill on realistic (at least with full stealth gear, I guess there's a start).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
In his videos he explains that he did all of Grim's missions first to unlock a bunch of stuff before starting the campaign.

That explains it. I guess I should go that route since I restarted for the purpose of ghosting the first mission completely.

Talk to charlie some and you'll get it. I have it but choose not to use it.

Okay, I guess I'll Commander Fisher some but I'm trying to figure out how to get the laptop in the first Grim's mission. I can get the three objectives done with no alerts from enemies or even losing the bonus but when I try to find a way to the laptop it's locked behind a co-op barrier one way
and a dog that is a bane of my existence
and I can't find an alt/solo route to it.

If I remember right Sober said I can replay these missions later so maybe I'll just do the missions and grab the HVT's if I can and then go laptop hunting later on a lower difficulty so I don't break my no-kill ghost run on Perfection.

Sober

That explains it. I guess I should go that route since I restarted for the purpose of ghosting the first mission completely.

Okay, I guess I'll Commander Fisher some but I'm trying to figure out how to get the laptop in the first Grim's mission. I can get the three objectives done with no alerts from enemies or even losing the bonus but when I try to find a way to the laptop it's locked behind a co-op barrier one way
and a dog that is a bane of my existence
and I can't find an alt/solo route to it.

If I remember right Sober said I can replay these missions later so maybe I'll just do the missions and grab the HVT's if I can and then go laptop hunting later on a lower difficulty so I don't break my no-kill ghost run on Perfection.
There is a
door in the room with the phone (objective B) that you can take that leads to the room with the desktop. The co-op routes don't seem to offer much except different routes anyway. IIRC there are two ways into the room with the laptop.

Okay, why does this game suck so much (or why do I)?

Its impossible for me to sneak past guards and go stealth without knocking people out in certain situations. On top of that, the shadow/stealth system is ass and unreliable. No point in even looking at the light on your back because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

Sober

Okay, why does this game suck so much (or why do I)?

Its impossible for me to sneak past guards and go stealth without knocking people out in certain situations. On top of that, the shadow/stealth system is ass and unreliable. No point in even looking at the light on your back because it makes absolutely no sense to me.
There are run/walk speeds for crouched stance as well.

TheSeks

There is a
door in the room with the phone (objective B) that you can take that leads to the room with the desktop. The co-op routes don't seem to offer much except different routes anyway. IIRC there are two ways into the room with the laptop.

I take
dock hanging off, climb-around, climb-up the dock, slide down to the ocean again, corner around up the stairs climb over, on the stairs. Go up the stairs, to the door. Open the door. Rush to the right, climb out the window. Climb over to the other window, wait for the guard to leave. Start hacking A. After that's done, rush back to the window I climbed in from, climb out and go right. Climb the pipe to C. Avoid the minor searchlight/camera? and go around. Climb the roofs to HVT and C. Hack C after bagging HVT. Climb down, climb over railing to the "south" of HVT, climb over after going left all the way. Wait for guards to pass, go up the stairs and down the ladder to the left window to B's laser room. Climb into the bathroom to avoid sets of lasers. Dodge the lasers that move, turn them off. Hack B. Take the backdoor you're talking about
and didn't see the laptop notification pop-up that I do when I'm up at C. It's pretty WTF because I know it's in that area but I can't see it.

There are run/walk speeds for crouched stance as well.

They work regularly with the 360 controller yes? I'm playing with one and I see a difference in crouch speeds (though not one as pronounced as CT).

Guess my problem is that I'm playing this like CT and the stealth in this game so far consists of "take the ledge to avoid all the enemies in the area."

Bah.. frustrating to play.

Sober

They work regularly with the 360 controller yes? I'm playing with one and I see a difference in crouch speeds (though not one as pronounced as CT).

Guess my problem is that I'm playing this like CT and the stealth in this game so far consists of "take the ledge to avoid all the enemies in the area."

Uhh, how many missions in are you? I have not found this to be the case except maybe at the start.

On top of that, the shadow/stealth system is ass and unreliable.
What are you running into? During the day you can be in shadow but if somebody is a few feet away and looking directly at you, they might spot you (noticed this on an Afghan rooftop). At night shadows seem to be perfect coverage unless the patrols have flashlights. Sniper lasers don't give a damn.

Are you outfitted for stealth runs? Changing Sam's ops suit is key to stealth through areas. It will make you harder to detect and also reduces noise from movement.

Schnozberry

I hate that we have to "hope" for a damn patch when it comes to third party games. If this is hurting multiplayer right now and people are complaining about it, as they should, that could very well stop others from buying and kill any chances the game might have had of building a community. Yet I expect Wii U owners will be blamed in the end.

I have yet to have one lockup in multiplayer on the Wii U version. Could be because I'm using a wired Ethernet adapter? I don't know.

AJ_Wings

Are you on Steam? If so, close and re-open steam.

Did so like couple of times and it's still at the pre-load state. I don't if it's a problem at Ubisoft's or Valve's end but I guess I'll have to wait a couple of hours until they sort it out.

Also, judging from the steam forums, it's happening to a lot of non-US/UK folk.

Gaz_RB

Anyone having an issue on Briggs last mission (coop) where the game glitches out during the extraction and you're just sitting there?

that entire final sequence is pretty lame

Also I hate that one of Grim's missions is preorder dlc :/

Did so like couple of times and it's still at the pre-load state. I don't if it's a problem at Ubisoft's or Valve's end but I guess I'll have to wait a couple of hours until they sort it out.

Also, judging from the steam forums, it's happening to a lot of non-US/UK folk.

Ah, shitty. Yeah, wait it out I guess. Hopefully you won't have to download the patch once it unlocks.

Someone mentioned it earlier but I agree that the spies frontal melee slash is too much. You're wearing shit tons of armor yet a spy can slash your throat with a karambit in one hit. Shenanigans!

TheSeks

Someone mentioned it earlier but I agree that the spies frontal melee slash is too much. You're wearing shit tons of armor yet a spy can slash your throat with a karambit in one hit. Shenanigans!

Apparently you can melee them in one hit as well, but their speed is insane. I've died from them corner hugging and then moving when I try to flush them out with the two grenades you only get per life (is there a resupply? I didn't see any method in the maps) and then get owned by their knife. It's horseshit.

luffeN

Just played the first co-op mission (Briggs) on Perfectionist with a friend and it was fucking awesome! That is definitely the difficulty setting to go for co-op.

SJRB

Gold Member
Realistic difficulty is kicking my ass, had to dial it down a notch near the end of the first mission.

Game is pretty intense so far, I like it.

What are you running into? During the day you can be in shadow but if somebody is a few feet away and looking directly at you, they might spot you (noticed this on an Afghan rooftop). At night shadows seem to be perfect coverage unless the patrols have flashlights. Sniper lasers don't give a damn.

I'm at the Afghan level, which is the source of my impressions. The lights on my back turn on while I'm standing under some tube lights and also while I'm in shadows but turn off under other shadow sources. So I get confused as to exactly what the light is supposed to be telling me. I've stopped looking at it as any measure of a stealth indicator.

I love them sexy green lights.
ib0uqkB8YI01MF.jpg

iz9hsdorsHyx8.jpg

iYPR5WQWjy9oR.jpg

iiLAuXEe4ykTv.jpg

TheSeks

I'm at the Afghan level, which is the source of my impressions. The lights on my back turn on while I'm standing under some tube lights and also while I'm in shadows but turn off under other shadow sources. So I get confused as to exactly what the light is supposed to be telling me. I've stopped looking at it as any measure of a stealth indicator.

If the lights are on, you're hidden. If they aren't, you aren't. It's that simple. It's not as accurate as the light meter was in the classic game. IIRC Double Agent (which had a similar "light on gear" indicator) was just as bad at indicating if you were hidden or not.

d00d3n

For you guys who are getting good performance on PC, are you running it Windowed or Fullscreen?

I am running windowed. Try turning off vsync if you are running borderless windowed. You still get some kind of vsync (because of borderless windowed I believe) and much better performance. With everyting maxed, except vsync turned off, 1080p and 2x2 reverse grid SSAA I get good performance on my PC.

If the lights are on, you're hidden. If they aren't, you aren't. It's that simple. It's not as accurate as the light meter was in the classic game. IIRC Double Agent (which had a similar "light on gear" indicator) was just as bad at indicating if you were hidden or not.

I understand thats what its supposed to be but its more accurate to state that if the lights are on, you are in the shadows and if they are off, your in the light.

Detection hasn't played a part so far in whether lights are on or not. I get detected if they look at me in this level regardless of where I'm hiding, so the indicator (atleast in this level) is completely useless.

If the lights are on, you're hidden.
I've had the lights on and had the radial "you're gonna get spotted" graphic start to fill in, but not all the way luckily. I was in shadow, but the guard was looking directly my way from a scant few feet away. It was behind a short wall on a rooftop in the first Kobin mission, during the day.

TheSeks

I understand thats what its supposed to be but its more accurate to state that if the lights are on, you are in the shadows and if they are off, your in the light.

Detection hasn't played a part so far in whether lights are on or not. I get detected if they look at me in this level regardless of where I'm hiding, so the indicator (atleast in this level) is completely useless.

Are you playing on PC? Screenshot some areas where you're getting detected with the lights on and I'll run through those areas later on and see if I get a similar result. I haven't had issues with the light indicator saying if I'm in the open/detectable or not, personally.

I'd chalk it up to the daylight missions being screwy in general. They weren't that great in Double Agent and having them back is just "ugh."

jmizzal

Realistic difficulty is kicking my ass, had to dial it down a notch near the end of the first mission.

Game is pretty intense so far, I like it.

Yea from somebody who beat all the Splinter Cell games outside of the PSP one, this is a great game, Conviction was good for what it was but this game is wayyyy better.

I'd chalk it up to the daylight missions being screwy in general.
At least for my example its the only time I've noticed that happening, as it freaked me out for a second there. It actually makes sense intuitively as the guard was only a few feet away and the wall I was behind wasn't blocking his view since he was on the same side of it that I was (I was in shadow and the guard was not). It just means that yeah, during the day I trust my gut more than the light meter.

Apparently you can melee them in one hit as well, but their speed is insane. I've died from them corner hugging and then moving when I try to flush them out with the two grenades you only get per life (is there a resupply? I didn't see any method in the maps) and then get owned by their knife. It's horseshit.

Right, yeah, I've killed them in one hit as a merc but when it comes to a tie-breaker I always lose, either my connection is crap or they have better range which I really hope is not the case. There is a resupply 'perk' you can buy later on it looks like. Also where is the MF'n flashlight?? It's in classic but does it not exist in blacklist mode?

Are you playing on PC? Screenshot some areas where you're getting detected with the lights on and I'll run through those areas later on and see if I get a similar result. I haven't had issues with the light indicator saying if I'm in the open/detectable or not, personally.

I'd chalk it up to the daylight missions being screwy in general. They weren't that great in Double Agent and having them back is just "ugh."

Can't seem to figure out how to take screenshots with Uplay since my print screen is just giving me black images and MSI afterburner doesn't seem to be working either.

However, in that level, you can test it out after you bag the HVT. The next area has a long hallway with a light switch there. Turn the lights off, position yourself in the corner if you wish, the lights will be back on and you'll get detected regardless.

alan666

Banned
I have this on the WiiU, can i ask players with other systems, how long are the loading screens, some of the i have found are a minute long !!!!

Even the loading times on the original Resident Evil didn't last this long !

It is a ok game, there is too much of just pointing & clicking, moving from cover to cover, i also don't think the cash upgrade system has a place in this type of game.

Necrovex

Does this Splinter Cell references much of Double Agent or Conviction? After watching some videos of this game and having fond memories of Double Agent, I have been foundling over the thought of picking this title up.

demolitio

I FINALLY got my game downloaded and installed so add demolitio on Uplay if you guys want to get some games going. As long as it's anything like old SvM's, I'm going to be in love and rarely losing. It'd be funny if my friend and I can continue our undefeated streak from CT.

TheSeks

Can't seem to figure out how to take screenshots with Uplay since my print screen is just giving me black images and MSI afterburner doesn't seem to be working either.

However, in that level, you can test it out after you bag the HVT. The next area has a long hallway with a light switch there. Turn the lights off, position yourself in the corner if you wish, the lights will be back on and you'll get detected regardless.

That's less the "light indicator isn't working" and more "the light indicator didn't update." If I'm reading you right, you're camping in a corner near the lightswitch in that hallway. A guard comes to turn it back on and then notices you because the lights are on. Which is what he should be doing.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Started my first game yesterday (PS3) on Perfectionist, actually enjoyed the first mission but man, the section when Grim says to head to the ground level I was hit with a massive frame hit, felt like I was playing at 5fps (not hyperbole). My only option was quitting back to the title screen and even then it took about 10-15secs for the menu.to pop up after pausing it. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Apart from that though, seems like there is a bit of replayability.

Can anyone tell me how many missions there are for each of the people in the plane, Grim etc (spoiler tag the answer please so others don't get all Panther on you).

highrider

Banned
About an hour in, really liking it so far. Level design is excellent. This is exactly what I'm looking for in a splinter cell campaign.

Top Bottom