• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

I've been playing on Realistic but frankly I think it might be too hard for me. I'm probably going to take the difficulty down a notch to get through the story until I have a better handle on the various systems at play here.

I really like it so far, though. It's a good synthesis of Chaos Theory/Conviction. Kinda miss Ironside slurring through dialogue but it's really not a huge deal.

Addnan

I got blacklist through nvidia a while back, but it still hasn't been added to my account. Launches in a few hours I would guess. Sorry if its been asked a million times. When am I supposed to be able to see the game in my library?

Sojgat

Finished the first mission, then immediately spent all my money on upgrades. Now the objective marker is telling me to talk to Grim and upgrade the plane, but I can't afford it. The game won't let me interact with anything else.

Is there a way out of this or do I just need to start the game again?

I don't know if it's been covered, but how's Spies vs Mercs stack up to Pandora Tomorrow's (and Charo Theory, I suppose)? Is it as good, or did they ruin it? It's the only thing I care about. If it's as good,I'm all in. Anything less = not interested.

That's less the "light indicator isn't working" and more "the light indicator didn't update." If I'm reading you right, you're camping in a corner near the lightswitch in that hallway. A guard comes to turn it back on and then notices you because the lights are on. Which is what he should be doing.

No, its more I turn the lights off and even if I'm the sitting at the furthest wall away from the guard (so near the door where I enter) and the light on my back is on, as soon as the guard who's pounding on the door notices the lights are off, turns around, sees me and shoots and kills me.

Edit: The light on the back is not a stealth indicator what so ever. I've tested this throughout the level. It simply tells you if your in the shadows or not. Its absolutely useless in determining if the enemy will be able to spot you.

demolitio

I can't seem to find it but what site had a few unlocks to get? Was it just Shadownet or was there some sort of mini SC web game that had extras?

Just started, holy shit the control layout sucks... any way to change it? (PS3)
Its night and day compared to the insanity that was Conviction's controller mapping.

Although I do miss the little crouch-roll you could do in Conviction. Still can't manage to seamlessly move between crouching and a standing run quickly enough. Need more practice I guess.

I also wish this game stole Future Soldier's visual gunsmith and firing range.

Its night and day compared to the insanity that was Conviction's controller mapping.

Although I do miss the little crouch-roll you could do in Conviction. Still can't manage to seamlessly move between crouching and a standing run quickly enough. Need more practice I guess.

I also wish this game stole Future Soldier's visual gunsmith and firing range.

It's been a while since I played Conviction, but I played it on 360 and PC and don't remember it being so convoluted control wise, this seems all over the place. Chaos Theory had such silky smooth controls (and just about everything else...) so it's kind of a shame.

It's been a while since I played Conviction, but I played it on 360 and PC and don't remember it being so convoluted control wise, this seems all over the place.
A refresher of the madness that was Conviction:

ibeTPmxct4ScEr.jpg

DesertFox

Still baffling to me that this game no longer has a dedicated jump button. Was getting so frustrated today while trying to close a door just to have Sam repeatedly jump to the ledge above the door.

Ubi - just a suggestion for the next game... Take execute - throw it in the trash - and put jump back on the Y button where it belongs.

Gaz_RB

Still baffling to me that this game no longer has a dedicated jump button. Was getting so frustrated today while trying to close a door just to have Sam repeatedly jump to the ledge above the door.

Ubi - just a suggestion for the next game... Take execute and throw it in the trash, and put jump back on the Y button where it belongs.

Actually I'm glad they don't have a dedicated jump button. I don't think it would work with the way that they've set up traversal in Blacklist. It'd be kind of pointless.

A refresher of the madness that was Conviction:

ibeTPmxct4ScEr.jpg

Christ that is bad as well haha...
I'm not very far in (seems like midway through the first proper mission) and the controls are already giving me issues. Sprinting down a hallway into a guard instead of turning off a light for instance... I don't know why change cover needs to be a different button to enter cover. Why isn't circle the dedicated cover button? That would take off some of the insanity from accidentally doing other things on the X button.

Also where is whistle? That's still in the game right? what button is that? Or do I have to like... unlock it?

demolitio

So PC players, do you use KB+M or controller now? I played Conviction with KB+M but it seems like this one would be easier with a controller but I'm hoping to stick with it and just get used to the weird binds or else I'll totally rebind mine myself. Just a lot of odd choices.

Does UPlay not have midnight releases for their games? Still not appeared in my account yet :(

We're talking about Uplay here. Launch was a joke and the whole process is a pain in the ass compared to other services. Don't forget to manually download the patch after you install as well. Midnight releases is just one of the many things Uplay lacks. It's truly the worst game service I've used on PC. Hell, I crashed during first start-up of Blacklist just to have it not allow me to hit play again in Uplay so I tried to restart it just to not be able to even get Uplay to boot even though there was nothing going on in my task manager.

Z is whistle if you're using a keyboard on PC.

haikira

How is this game on PC? I've been hearing that its bad

You've heard wrong. Chaos Theory is one of my favourite games of all time and I'm loving Blacklist.

I have a few nitpicks, such as some of the story decisions and annoying context sensitive controls. But it's a really solid campaign, with some great level design, at least from the four or so hours I've played already.

I honestly think if we still had Ironside and a story that wasn't trying to be 24, people would be claiming this a true return for the series.

However, I've still to hit a level later in the game, which seems to have caused some controversy, so keep that in mind with my recommendation.

DrBo42

SP spoiler (mid to late game?)
my ghost perfectionist run on the Tehran mission was amazing until the very end with the 2 bridges and the shield guard. That motherfucker can see you at ALL angles. He must be bugged or something. I was fucking fuming because there's literally no way to slip past him without taking him down.

DesertFox

Actually I'm glad they don't have a dedicated jump button. I don't think it would work with the way that they've set up traversal in Blacklist. It'd be kind of pointless.

That's exactly the problem though, they took something that wasn't broken and changed it. I don't see how traversal is much different than in CT, but in CT, Y was jump, LS-click was back to wall, and A was interact.. It worked flawlessly. The problem is this "Press A to awesome!" mentality of the 360 era. They think they need to dumb down games for players to enjoy them, when it was never broken to begin with.

raphanum

Finished the first mission, then immediately spent all my money on upgrades. Now the objective marker is telling me to talk to Grim and upgrade the plane, but I can't afford it. The game won't let me interact with anything else.

Is there a way out of this or do I just need to start the game again?

Don't worry about it. You don't have to upgrade the plane yet. You can ignore it until you have more cash.

raphanum

No, its more I turn the lights off and even if I'm the sitting at the furthest wall away from the guard (so near the door where I enter) and the light on my back is on, as soon as the guard who's pounding on the door notices the lights are off, turns around, sees me and shoots and kills me.

Edit: The light on the back is not a stealth indicator what so ever. I've tested this throughout the level. It simply tells you if your in the shadows or not. Its absolutely useless in determining if the enemy will be able to spot you.

Being in the shadows does not guarantee stealth, it simple reduces the visibility of hostiles. Although, the darker an entire room is, the harder it becomes for them to spot you. Shoot out the lights.

Danny 117

Ahh so select on PS3, sweet. Glad that's here...

Is hiding bodies really as binary as needing bins? or does hiding them in the dark still work?

Be warned when using the whistle, at least on higher difficulties, if you lure a guard he may counter your takedown and push you back. Was surprised when it happened!

Hiding bodies in the dark still works, from my experience at least.

Be warned when using the whistle, at least on higher difficulties, if you lure a guard he may counter your takedown and push you back. Was surprised when it happened!

Hiding bodies in the dark still works, from my experience at least.

Yeah just found that the hard way! It seems to be less effective than previous games, it's less of a "hey whats that?..." and more of a "he's over here, but I'll still walk next to him".

Also, dropping my secondary on accident when trying to pick up a body and having my original gun sink into the floor is damn annoying.

Gaz_RB

That's exactly the problem though, they took something that wasn't broken and changed it. I don't see how traversal is much different than in CT, but in CT, Y was jump, LS-click was back to wall, and A was interact.. It worked flawlessly. The problem is this "Press A to awesome!" mentality of the 360 era. They think they need to dumb down games for players to enjoy them, when it was never broken to begin with.

I think context sensitive controls that have become popular in this gen actually is doing the opposite. More things, less buttons. I think it's good. A to awesome is more of a QuickTime thing.

It's great. Performs well, no issues so far and it looks pretty good. Uplay is shitty but it's functional.

You've heard wrong. Chaos Theory is one of my favourite games of all time and I'm loving Blacklist.

I have a few nitpicks, such as some of the story decisions and annoying context sensitive controls. But it's a really solid campaign, with some great level design, at least from the four or so hours I've played already.

I honestly think if we still had Ironside and a story that wasn't trying to be 24, people would be claiming this a true return for the series.

However, I've still to hit a level later in the game, which seems to have caused some controversy, so keep that in mind with my recommendation.

This is all good to hear. Im super new to the world of PC gaming, so Im super nervous about performance. The system Im about to get has a Gtx 770 in it. However, I know the game wasnt designed specifically for that card, and it just makes me nervous. Im use to the consoles where its more of a closed platform

Danny 117

Yeah just found that the hard way! It seems to be less effective than previous games, it's less of a "hey whats that?..." and more of a "he's over here, but I'll still walk next to him".

Also, dropping my secondary on accident when trying to pick up a body and having my original gun sink into the floor is damn annoying.

You should still have enough time to recover from his counter and perform the takedown though, just before he alerts everyone else.

I've never encountered the weapon issue. I rarely have the need to use the weapons besides maybe one sticky shocker crossbow bolt now and then :p.

DesertFox

I think context sensitive controls that have become popular in this gen actually is doing the opposite. More things, less buttons. I think it's good. A to awesome is more of a QuickTime thing.

I'm not telling you what my opinion is, I'm telling you of an instance where press A to do everything didn't work. That's cool that you think that, but when the game can't differentiate me wanting to jump from me wanting to close a door, it doesn't work. I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm saying it doesn't work for Blacklist.

What you're describing would be fine if a single button would do multiple things that would never overlap.

I love the game otherwise, but the A to move cover/jump/climb/interact doesn't work well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There is a
door in the room with the phone (objective B) that you can take that leads to the room with the desktop. The co-op routes don't seem to offer much except different routes anyway. IIRC there are two ways into the room with the laptop.

I found it, I was going the other way. :lol D'oh.

I just had a killer round of SvM where I had to hack the terminals my damn self since this "AFLM" clan team couldn't defend me worth shit.

Victory x1

Enemy Killed x 11
Melee Kills x2
Death From Above x4

Defender x6
Hacker Killer x3
Hack Succeeded x2
Hack Stopped x6

Headshot x 1
Killstreak 3 x3
Killstreak 5 x1
Longshot x1
Killstreak Disruption x1
First Blood x1

Major Assist x1
Tag Assist x1

All that jumped me from level 1 to like nearly level 5 (only got like 200 more points for that?) Insane.

Gaz_RB

I'm not telling you what my opinion is, I'm telling you of an instance where press A to do everything didn't work. That's cool that you think that, but when the game can't differentiate me wanting to jump from me wanting to close a door, it doesn't work. I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm saying it doesn't work for Blacklist.

What you're describing would be fine if a single button would do multiple things that would never overlap.

I love the game otherwise, but the A to move cover/jump/climb/interact doesn't work well.

And I'm gonna say its a matter of skill and getting used to it. It not working for you in Blacklist is personal, not Blacklist's fault. I fumbled with it at first but once you get it down, I haven't had a problem.

Nome

The PC version separates most of those, but there's even issues with the remaining actions.

A single key is used to handle object interactions (open door, hack, etc) and melee. Several times now, I've tried to hide next to a doorway and stealth kill someone passing through, but close the door instead and get caught. It's pretty frustrating.

You should still have enough time to recover from his counter and perform the takedown though, just before he alerts everyone else.

I've never encountered the weapon issue. I rarely have the need to use the weapons besides maybe one sticky shocker crossbow bolt now and then :p.

Yeah can't say I've used the secondary yet, but you never know when you may need it so it is kind of annoying to just lose it like that.

ezekial45

Banned
This game has a surprising amount of content. I'm pretty impressed with all the side missions you can do and all the gear you can buy.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
This game has a surprising amount of content. I'm pretty impressed with all the side missions you can do and all the gear you can buy.

Seriously.

I'm spending way too much time customizing Sam before every mission. I'm at the point where if I'm in a desert setting, he needs to be outfitted with desert camo etc. Also the extra outfits from the deluxe edition are cool. I got Sam rocking the Chaos Theory suit as one of my loadouts.

I know its early, but any hints on DLC?

For the love of all good things Ubi, put out more than just multiplayer maps.

More 4E missions please. Or, make all the multiplayer maps playable as multiple 4E missions as well.

Everybody wins.

TheSeks

I know its early, but any hints on DLC?

For the love of all good things Ubi, put out more than just multiplayer maps.

More 4E missions please. Or, make all the multiplayer maps playable as multiple 4E missions as well.

Everybody wins.

Honestly, they should do both. Make the co-op maps and versus maps work in either mode. As it is right now the multiplayer only has 3(!) maps which is downright insane. Yes, they're okay maps but where the hell are the classic SvM maps? Why isn't there more? Seriously? 3!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Also I unlocked the Tri-Rotor and Sleeping Gas Grenade from just Grim's first mission and buying them. Unless they were unlocked already, so yeah... I don't think I need to do all the side missions now for that first story mission and can run through it now completely ghost. *knock on wood?*

I dunno if the Deluxe Edition gives this off the bat or what but everyone should go and look and see if they have the 4E suit in their outfits. It's better than the default outfit by a little and you don't have to pay anything for it. So good.

DesertFox

The PC version separates most of those, but there's even issues with the remaining actions.

A single key is used to handle object interactions (open door, hack, etc) and melee. Several times now, I've tried to hide next to a doorway and stealth kill someone passing through, but close the door instead and get caught. It's pretty frustrating.
According to Gaz_RB you just suck at the game. Stop sucking!

TheSeks

If anything the A context is wayyyyy too clunky this outing. It was fine in Conviction but I'm having it open doors when I want it to look under doors.

Top Bottom