• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

kamspy

Playing on PC. 1920x1080 Ultra everything, 4xMSAA

AMD 1100t 3.5Ghz
GTX 680

Game can run for 60fps for a while, then drop to sub 30 in spots, with no real reasoning. In fact, it seems like it runs worse when there are less effects and geometry going on. Really odd.

The overall experience on my system is definitely 45fps+ ("the feel of 60" for the most part). Runs better than Conviction by a long shot, and looks a lot better. Some areas are really stunning.

Game is pretty fun too. It improves on Conviction in a lot of ways, but also takes steps back. Early impressions are very positive though. Exceeding expectations by a lot. I almost wish I didn't hop on the negative hype train for this game.

im only like 75% of the way through the first benghazi mission but this is pretty good, im playing on hard (or whatever the one below realistic is called) and i very much like how you die in like 1.5 hits.

Lizardus

Is there a PC Performance thread for this game? The
Kobin Rescue
was fine but the mission after that is all choppy and Sam's gun on his back keeps twitching.

I don't know if it's been covered, but how's Spies vs Mercs stack up to Pandora Tomorrow's (and Charo Theory, I suppose)? Is it as good, or did they ruin it? It's the only thing I care about. If it's as good,I'm all in. Anything less = not interested.

They made it bigger (4v4) and with lots of customization options, I like it, might be some balance issues that will become clear in the near future but I'm liking it, it still has classic SvM mode as well which is awesome.

Kazerei

Banned
I just finished the campaign missions on normal difficulty, and it took close to 14 hours. I messed around a lot and reset if I got detected though. I haven't even touched the 4E missions. Really pleased with the amount of content in this game.

Is there a PC Performance thread for this game? The
Kobin Rescue
was fine but the mission after that is all choppy and Sam's gun on his back keeps twitching.

I just get random framerate drops to slideshow unless I alt tab then a couple minutes later it does it again

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Anyone else notice when sneaking using the DS3 that the speed doesn't quite feel gradual as you push the stick forward? Feels like there is a fine line between whisper quiet and 'I can hear footsteps' when crouching. This is on Perfectionist difficulty btw.

Gaz_RB

Anyone else notice when sneaking using the DS3 that the speed doesn't quite feel gradual as you push the stick forward? Feels like there is a fine line between whisper quiet and 'I can hear footsteps' when crouching. This is on Perfectionist difficulty btw.

It's not gradual :/ only two speeds

druie

On the Xbox 360 version, does anyone know if you install both discs to the harddrive if you can play the entire game off of disc 1?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

AMD 1100t 3.5Ghz
GTX 680

Game can run for 60fps for a while, then drop to sub 30 in spots, with no real reasoning. In fact, it seems like it runs worse when there are less effects and geometry going on. Really odd.

The overall experience on my system is definitely 45fps+ ("the feel of 60" for the most part). Runs better than Conviction by a long shot, and looks a lot better. Some areas are really stunning.

Game is pretty fun too. It improves on Conviction in a lot of ways, but also takes steps back. Early impressions are very positive though. Exceeding expectations by a lot. I almost wish I didn't hop on the negative hype train for this game.

The PC version is definitely CPU limited thanks to their modified version of Unreal Engine. I wish they optimized it a lot more on that front because i too get drops to 30 without any real reason for it to drop.

The inconsistency is annoying enough for me to just lock the framerate to 30.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned

Yeah this is one of my complaints and improvements I hope they make for next time. Two speeds for crouch and two speeds for standing.

Sober

I've had the lights on and had the radial "you're gonna get spotted" graphic start to fill in, but not all the way luckily. I was in shadow, but the guard was looking directly my way from a scant few feet away. It was behind a short wall on a rooftop in the first Kobin mission, during the day.
Detection is not binary as far as I can tell, only the indicator on your back; all the light tells you is if you are in shadow. You still have to eyeball everything like LOS/Distance/enemy level of suspicion. There have been plenty of times on Realistic where I got caught in pitch black because the enemy was super close. At least the AI isn't dumb as before.

There seem to be two crouched speeds, a third if you count 'stalking' speed when close to enemies, but that's about it. A third discreet one would've been nice.

The only dumb thing is the PC controls are kinda meh, especially since: use and melee are on the same key, there were a few times I would do a thing instead of doing a melee, which kinda sucked (me back to the previous checkpoint). The other thing is I understand by the "go to cover" button is to drop down from ledges but it makes little to no sense on a keyboard layout over, say, crouch.

I wish the game had a more visible stealth meter like CT. It would certainly make attempts at stealth (that aren't just braindead, hey lets take this ledge to avoid all the guards) more feasible when you don't have to guess whether the darkness level you are in makes you hidden or not.

This might be a dumb question, but if a friend bought the game on Steam and I get the Uplay version, how will we join each other's multiplayer games and chat etc? Does the Steam version launch Uplay as well?

Zep

Banned

AMD 1100t 3.5Ghz
GTX 680

I said fuck it and dropped my AA down to FXAA. Anything higher and it locks itself at 30fps.

Grisby

I'd like to know as well.
Outside of Forza 3 (ie ms first party stuff) I don't know of any game that has allowed you to do this.
I just finished the campaign missions on normal difficulty, and it took close to 14 hours. I messed around a lot and reset if I got detected though. I haven't even touched the 4E missions. Really pleased with the amount of content in this game.
Yeah, there is a lot to dig into. And most of it is highly replayable too. While the graphics might not be super pretty I have to give the team credit for the amount of asset/location variety.

Ubi putting those 8 million different teams to work I suppose.

UrbanRats

Outside of Forza 3 (ie ms first party stuff) I don't know of any game that has allowed you to do this.

Yeah, there is a lot to dig into. And most of it is highly replayable too. While the graphics might not be super pretty I have to give the team credit for the amount of asset/location variety.

Ubi putting those 8 million different teams to work I suppose.

At times it looks stunning.
Characters aren't that great but environments are great.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
This game is just a couple moments short of greatness, why put all that non stealth garbage in a game that no one bought it for in the first place?! It's a complete waste of dev time and money that could of been spent on more worth while things. With that said, this game is pretty dang good, definitely enjoying it more than Conviction, ten fold.

This game is borderline unplayable on the Wii U multiplayer wise. The lag is atrocious.
Pretty much. I can't even begin hacking at terminals. I just stand there stuck until the game decides to let me go or I drop dead. Then there are issues how a game will begin and there is no one left on the other side. What the fuck is this.

I messed around for hours with my IP and DMZ setting learning how they work, thinking my Nat was the issue behind the connection problems, but now i know better. Behind the scenes is a cluster fuck. I expected low populations, I didn't expect a broken mess.

While I can pray for a patch, these experiences are turning people away totally I bet. Its sad.

Its so fucking weird how my very first vs and coop I jumped into ran great and then the clusterfuck began. I'm almost beginning to think I imagined it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's the same on PC as well. But it seems better today. I think Ubisoft's gonna have to patch the multiplayer and other issues across all platforms. It's really apparent the game was rushed to launch and not delayed from the day one PC patch alone.

Grisby

Is there a way for Mercs to counter attack a spies melee? I've snuck up on a dude twice and he just grabbed me after I tried attacking and did a kill. Hate getting matched against such high levels already.

Also, there can be some serious spawn killin'.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there a way for Mercs to counter attack a spies melee? I've snuck up on a dude twice and he just grabbed me after I tried attacking and did a kill. Hate getting matched against such high levels already.

Also, there can be some serious spawn killin'.

You're apparently able to counter-melee. But the melee is REALLY strong for spies. They can corner hump and then kill the merc as the merc is coming around the corner. Default mercs have no counters to that besides grenades that the spy can counter by breaking from cover as the merc is tossing/in recovery animations and knife them.

It's kinda bullshit.

DesertFox

Actually I didn't realize that PC had melee and action on the same button. That's stupid. On 360 it works like a charm. For me. So don't be childish, we just share different opinions.
I was just joking around. /truce

I have yet to play SvM. Is there a group on gaf for 360?

Pitmonkey

Pretty much. I can't even begin hacking at terminals. I just stand there stuck until the game decides to let me go or I drop dead. Then there are issues how a game will begin and there is no one left on the other side. What the fuck is this.

I messed around for hours with my IP and DMZ setting learning how they work, thinking my Nat was the issue behind the connection problems, but now i know better. Behind the scenes is a cluster fuck. I expected low populations, I didn't expect a broken mess.

While I can pray for a patch, these experiences are turning people away totally I bet. Its sad.

Its so fucking weird how my very first vs and coop I jumped into ran great and then the clusterfuck began. I'm almost beginning to think I imagined it.

Send me a friend request - Pitmonkey, maybe partying up will help

Gibbo

yup getting wierd fps drops as well. one example would be the horde mode side mission. during the break in between waves... the fps drops to 30-60 w nothing much gg on. 7970 here

Grisby

You're apparently able to counter-melee. But the melee is REALLY strong for spies. They can corner hump and then kill the merc as the merc is coming around the corner. Default mercs have no counters to that besides grenades that the spy can counter by breaking from cover as the merc is tossing/in recovery animations and knife them.

It's kinda bullshit.
Yeah, and I'm raging at shock arrows too. Still having a blast though.

I've been getting more points in classic mode.

It's the same on PC as well. But it seems better today. I think Ubisoft's gonna have to patch the multiplayer and other issues across all platforms. It's really apparent the game was rushed to launch and not delayed from the day one PC patch alone.

Ive had zero problems with PC multi and i've put in at least 8+ hours into it.

So, any feedback on the Wii U version?

Looks good. Runs smooth. Absurd loading times. Around 3 minutes to get the game loaded and playing. Dying and check point restarts are not bad at all though. If you plan on playing online, wait, game suffers from horrible freezing.

It's kinda bullshit.

It's complete BS, I'm at rank 19 now in MP so I've seen my share of games and it's imbalanced. Spies can see mercs coming and just camp and wait to one shot them, mercs have to constantly keep their heads on a swivel and if the spy is using active camo then it's goodnight Irene. I watched a spy run through me and my entire team in seconds, there should be some kind of delay before they can melee again or maybe make it two shot KO. Classic is the only good mode imo, Running into the face of a merc should be suicide, not sure what the thinking was behind this.

Pitmonkey

yeah really. i thought it was obvious Nintendo really dropped the ball with the Wii U. it's under powered, cruddy network infrastructure, not enough people playing games like Splinter Cell multiplayer so of course it will suffer when compared to the other versions.

It runs and looks just fine, the multiplayer seems to be an issue with player base IMO

yeah really. i thought it was obvious Nintendo really dropped the ball with the Wii U. it's under powered, cruddy network infrastructure, not enough people playing games like Splinter Cell multiplayer so of course it will suffer when compared to the other versions.

So rather than not say anything about it, you decide to mock the people that do buy the Wii U version? RRRiiiiggghhtt.

You have the PS3 version? Ahh, we'll I've got it on PC with a GTX 680 i7@4Ghz +12GBs Ram. People should know that all versions would suffer in comparison to the PC version, lol why even buy anything less.

See what I did there?

Top Bottom