• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

It runs and looks just fine, the multiplayer seems to be an issue with player base IMO

People want to play online, I own the Wii U version and it suffers from lock ups in multiplayer right now. Its pretty bad, play a round, and lose all your stats because it locks up. People are staying away until a patch.

lol at people buying the WiiU version. why?

i have the PS3 version and it runs well enough, and the multiplayer runs really smooth.

Dont be rude.

The Wii U version runs and looks fine.

Its server stuff that seems to be crippling the experience. There is no reason invites and matchmaking work one moment, then fall apart 10 minutes later and i cant connect to someone i have been playing with for an hour after a disconnect. It has to be on their end.

H2Yo

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but at the risk of spoilers, I'm going to avoid reading and ask: Is there a specific order on how to play this game? Single Player first, then Coop, or the other way round?

Pitmonkey

So rather than not say anything about it, you decide to mock the people that do buy the Wii U version? RRRiiiiggghhtt.

You have the PS3 version? Ahh, we'll I've got it on PC with a GTX 680 i7@4Ghz +12GBs Ram. People should know that all versions would suffer in comparison to the PC version, lol why even buy anything less.

See what I did there?

Thank you, I have an Xbox 360 and an X 51 - I could have bought either, I chose the Wii U because I actually enjoy that platform and what the game pad brings.

Pitmonkey

People want to play online, I own the Wii U version and it suffers from lock ups in multiplayer right now. Its pretty bad, play a round, and lose all your stats because it locks up. People are staying away until a patch.

Yeah I suffered from the lock up as well - captured a bunch of ridiculous lag on video as well.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but at the risk of spoilers, I'm going to avoid reading and ask: Is there a specific order on how to play this game? Single Player first, then Coop, or the other way round?

It doesnt really matter. Their stories dont feed off of each other except for the Briggs missions a tiny bit. Play however you feel comfortable, you wont be missing a thing.

Thank you, I have an Xbox 360 and an X 51 - I could have bought either, I chose the Wii U because I actually enjoy that platform and what the game pad brings.

I almost bought if for the Wii U myself, but as none of my buddies have a Wii U I decided to get it for PC on the off chance one of my Steam buds decide to pick it up. Does it have cool gamepad intergration?

Gaz_RB

It's complete BS, I'm at rank 19 now in MP so I've seen my share of games and it's imbalanced. Spies can see mercs coming and just camp and wait to one shot them, mercs have to constantly keep their heads on a swivel and if the spy is using active camo then it's goodnight Irene. I watched a spy run through me and my entire team in seconds, there should be some kind of delay before they can melee again or maybe make it two shot KO. Classic is the only good mode imo, Running into the face of a merc should be suicide, not sure what the thinking was behind this.

I really want to agree with you.

But running through a whole squad of mercs on Extraction as a spy is gaming bliss. Simply exhilarating. I agree it's a little unfair though. But I have been getting stomped when pitted up against mercs that know what they're doing.

The biggest advantage i feel the gamepad adds, is reminding me to use my dam gadgets. Having them front and center on the screen instead of tucked away on a circle menu means i use them way more often.

Have you experienced this?

When are publishers going to pass the savings of digital distro over boxed copies to the consumer? $60 for PC is larceny.

Yeah, it's crazy that some publishers don't do this. If it wasn't for GMG, I probably would have waited much later to pick this game up. Though, to be honest, if I had read the fine print, I would have bought it on Steam instead, as I like to have my games on as little digital platforms as possible. Even though the Steam Copy still uses Uplay, you can at least let steam download and patch it for you. UPlay is a pile of shit.

What's funny is that I've not really had a problem with Uplay in the past, but for SCBL I get really random issues.

DrBo42

The biggest advantage i feel the gamepad adds, is reminding me to use my dam gadgets. Having them front and center on the screen instead of tucked away on a circle menu means i use them way more often.

Have you experienced this?

You are pretty much forced to remember them if you play perfectionist.

Wheres the PC thread for this game? I want some DX9 vs DX11 comparisons up in here!

Make it!

They went crazy with tesselation for sure. It's a bit distracting tbh. But at least the DX11 plugin runs at 60 fps for me. Batman AC ran like garbage for a while with it's DX11 plugin.

Uplink Control on PC is a wasteland.

Everyone on PC is either playing Classic SVM or Deathmatch.

What is happening? Is it any different on 360 or PS3?

Also, people get their ass handed to them in this game and quit A LOT. I get tired of starting a match, kill the host a couple of times, and he quits and we have to start all over in a new lobby where I am almost always the merc again

yeah really. i thought it was obvious Nintendo really dropped the ball with the Wii U. it's under powered, cruddy network infrastructure, not enough people playing games like Splinter Cell multiplayer so of course it will suffer when compared to the other versions.

Such ignorance.

The problem with the online here has nothing to do with Nintendo or even low player base. Ubi screwed up.

And under powered compared to what exactly? PS4/XBONE? What does that have to do with this game?

That bad, eh?

There is a problem accepting invites.

Jaded, have you done all the coop missions yet?

Want to try and play right now?

Shoot me an invite if im playing solo. Ill join you if your down for it.

Yeah I suffered from the lock up as well - captured a bunch of ridiculous lag on video as well.

I actually played a match 1 v 1 random. I hate Ubi locked away half the playlist on Wii U. I let him kill me a lot so we both could level up. Luckily it didn't freeze, but after the match the server went down. Maybe they are patching it that way.

concerning Charlie's missions,
are they all wave based, horde mode type stages? i tried the fist one solo but kept getting spotting and killed so i gave up. don't know how i'd make it to wave twenty let alone wave ten.

haikira

Uplink Control on PC is a wasteland.

One thing to keep in mind is, the game hasn't unlocked for Europe yet. I'm in the UK and I've only been playing the campaign because I used a VPN. There's chance of me playing multiplayer though.

What's really annoying is, all other Friday releases unlocked at midnight, over five hours ago. Blacklist is special however and is unlocking at 6PM.

concerning Charlie's missions,
are they all wave based, horde mode type stages? i tried the fist one solo but kept getting spotting and killed so i gave up. don't know how i'd make it to wave twenty let alone wave ten.
You can extract every 5 waves and complete it.
I use those missions as an opportunity to use all those guns they give you and go full assault.

naib

I've not played too much yet, but it defaulted to 1920x1080, ultra, fxaa and so far it runs like butter.
Haven't even tinkered with settings yet.

3570k, 670ftw and 8gig ddr3.

Happy day.
so far/immediate impression

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh shit. The game better not count me accidentally pulling an enemy out of a window as a kill if I abandoned the mission. Otherwise I'm going to be pissed, I'm not redoing the story again after I just upgraded a ton of shit. Double so I'm not redoing SvM to rank 5 again. Ugh, damn it.

You can extract every 5 waves and complete it.
I use those missions as an opportunity to use all those guns they give you and go full assault.

i'd do that but i'm worried they'll count those kills as part of Sam's kill count for the campaign. i'm going for a no kill, no detection run.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's complete BS, I'm at rank 19 now in MP so I've seen my share of games and it's imbalanced. Spies can see mercs coming and just camp and wait to one shot them, mercs have to constantly keep their heads on a swivel and if the spy is using active camo then it's goodnight Irene. I watched a spy run through me and my entire team in seconds, there should be some kind of delay before they can melee again or maybe make it two shot KO. Classic is the only good mode imo, Running into the face of a merc should be suicide, not sure what the thinking was behind this.

I haven't honestly touched classic. Mostly because it's 2v2 and I have yet to see a full 4v4 match. I've been getting 3v3 which I guess is a limitation of "Training Ground" despite it putting me in "SvM Blacklist."

I've also been wanting to try Extraction and Capture to get the achievements from those and then maybe stick to TDM (which is sacrilege, I know) for my casual Splinter Cell multiplayer mode, but I haven't been able to get into any games for that.

Ive had zero problems with PC multi and i've put in at least 8+ hours into it.

I've had issues for like 2-4 hours yesterday attempting to get into games. I'd load into a game, try to spawn and the game would simply hang there for 2-5 mins before kicking me out for "idling" when I chose everything and tried to spawn. It ain't my fault, Ubisoft.

You are pretty much forced to remember them if you play perfectionist.

I wouldn't say that, I just re-ran Safehouse and jumped from 2,832 or thereabout to 282 or so from 1:04:048 to like 39:200 or so in the leaderboards on Perfectionist for the PC version in the World leaderboard just rushing with gadget use besides the Stun Gun
at extraction
and two sleep gas grenades (unlocking these before doing it)
for both "hostages"
used. I never used the Shocking Mine, EMP Grenade, Noisemaker (haven't found this to be useful yet), or the Sticky Camera. This is pure running through the area as quick as I can while using light switches or the environment to my advantage. I'm sure it's possible for me to knock maybe 5-15 mins off my time on Perfectionist on that level even sooner and just use those 5 gadgets I've used with the exception of two melee takedowns with that sprint in crouch speed... maybe.

demolitio

Anyone wanting to do coop or SvM in the future, please add "demolitio". I use a mic and communicate often which is why SvM is so damn easy as long as you have a teammate that talks to you and calls out every position.

It might be under NSAdemolitio (probably not the best name due to current events but it's an old one).

Pitmonkey

Yep - just tried it again and it froze. Ubisoft, fix this. Oh, and headphone support does not work for some reason. Awesome.

Sober

Huh, guess the ending cinematic bugged out for me, all I get is the SMI load screen and some VO playing over it, that and music. I assume the credits are rolling but I don't see them. And since this is an Ubisoft title, it's going to be a hell of a scroll.

Abso-freaking-lutely. Cloak needs to be nerfed, it's absurd. Here's my possible solutions:

1. Have a 2 or 3 second cooldown when disengaging cloak, before which the spy cannot one-shot a merc.
2. Spies should only be able to one-shot from the back.

Alternately or perhaps in addition, hip-firing should be a bit more accurate as the mercs. When a spy is running up on you, it's not usually possible to aim down the sights quickly enough to kill them, and hip-firing is so inaccurate as to be useless. I should be able to gun down a spy that is 5-10 feet away with hip fire.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
lol at people buying the WiiU version. why?

i have the PS3 version and it runs well enough, and the multiplayer runs really smooth.

I have every platform under the sun and have played SC on several and own the Wii u version because it's the best experience. Why would you hate on anyway for enjoying something?

(Note, haven't tried multi since launch yet)

Shokio

Neo Member
Seriously, wtf is wrong with the servers on this game?

I got the Wii U version (yes, the Wii U version) and I can't join my friend's lobbies and they can't join mine. It keeps failing.

Are these issues popping up on the other versions as well?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

I have an awesome pc too . A ps3 and a 360. I also went with the wii u version as I liked the idea of gamepad stuff. Not Dissapointed at all. Great game and runs fine on wii u. No tearing is the ultimate win for me.

Haven't tried multi either

demolitio

Besides, the obvious point about how Sam Fisher's voice doesn't sound like Ironside's at all, I think the larger issue for me is that his voice just sounds way too young. You can tell the actor isn't anywhere near Sam's age and that's more jarring than a simple actor change. It's more jarring to see this older guy sounding so damn young every time he opens his mouth. No, this isn't some major whining where I say it ruined the entire series, but it just annoys me while ingame.

Overall, the MP is definitely a lot of fun and SP is decent and at least better than Conviction's.

So far, I like Briggs but it's still early so I'm not sure how you guys feel about him.

FrsDvl

Just played my first coop game.

It took us forever. But once the other player went for a smoke I soloed it right away...

Had a couple good spy vs merc games too. I love this game. And hopefully the PC community won't die out anytime soon.

Gonna start my stream up again if anyone wants to watch the campaign on realistic difficulty. It's my first playthrough as well(I've died a lot.) Stream is here. Warning: I drink when I play.

demolitio

I'm a little worried about how difficult it is to find a SvM game on PC.

I'm hoping it's just people playing the SP but yea, I'm worried as well considering my first game my friend and I went into as complete level 1 noobs was against 2 buddies ranked 31 and 34 so we play them once and exit out just to be put right back in there against them.

I'm just hoping it's not like Double Agent's attempt at SvM where NO ONE played it. Chaos Theory had a small population but they were a dedicated bunch meaning there were at least a few games for a year or so.

I'm loving classic SvM and I just hope there's people playing it for a few months.

Edit: By the way, it's pretty funny that my friend just randomly said how young Sam sounded when he was playing SP so I'm glad I'm not the only one. It sounds so damn off...

Addnan

System validation in progess pops up and then I guess the game closes. wtf.

This just pops up after
Domok0q.png

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

In the original SvM in Pandora Tomorrow it was basically a techo game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. No matter what the enemy countered you with it was possible to counter that again. If the Spies were using anything electronic the Mercs had a vision that could detect electrical devices, even what the Spies were using. Are you saying that there is nothing that can be used to see the Spies camouflage?

Top Bottom