• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Double D

Finished it. I really enjoyed it. Although, and I'm sure it's been mentioned, I didn't like that the further you progressed in the game the harder it is to be stealthy.
And I'm not referring to the difficulty, but the situations you find yourself in. The first person part, the Headquarters or whatever where Grim cuts the lights and dudes surround you, and the nerve gas part comes to mind.

Anyways I found the ending frustrating. And not getting behind Sadiq, but the QTE's. I'm curious if anyone else had an issue with this. I realize its basically just mashing X, but I probably missed grabbing the knife 3 times. And then I also failed the Mash X part. I felt like an idiot. Oh yeah, I also failed the first part one time where you have to aim the gun at his chest and pull the trigger. I thought I was supposed to wait until the reticule was on his head.

I'm glad there are several missions though that I can go back and replay in totally varied ways. And I haven't done any side missions (except charlies, ugh) so I'm eager to crack into those

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why do you think it was rushed... I thought it seemed like they put a lot of effort into it.

The bugs. The melee of the spy being nearly uncounterable by Merc's if they stick to a corner or are hanging off a ledge since you can't hit their hands or shoot through the cover (depending on the area, like area B that industrial map) they're hiding behind. The bugs. The controller (on PC) dropping completely out even though you have it as a setting so you can't even play the game. The bugs. The animation freak outs. The bugs. Did I mention the bugs?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
The bugs. The melee of the spy being nearly uncounterable by Merc's if they stick to a corner or are hanging off a ledge since you can't hit their hands or shoot through the cover (depending on the area, like area B that industrial map) they're hiding behind. The bugs. The controller (on PC) dropping completely out even though you have it as a setting so you can't even play the game. The bugs. The animation freak outs. The bugs. Did I mention the bugs?

Meleeing a Spy around a corner is easy as hell. Rocking that 100% win rate in SVM. Game is good

No bugs aside from it going apeshit when I alt-tab (alt-enter fixes it)

Hope they resolve the online issues and this doesn't end up like Future Soldier. MP would have been a lot of fun if not for constant lag and connection problems. Gave up after a month. Ubi need to fix this game now.

Haven't had any connections issues over here. Been real smooth, in fact.

Sojgat

Hope they resolve the online issues and this doesn't end up like Future Soldier. MP would have been a lot of fun if not for constant lag and connection problems. Gave up after a month. Ubi need to fix this game now.

Gaz_RB

Maybe the PC version was rushed or lazy, but I'm having very little issue on 360. And I think your Spies V Mercs issue with the spies meleeing you may be one of tactics. As a merc you shouldn't be trying to counter a spy melee.

There is a lot of effort here but some things about it lack polish/attention. All games have problems. This is one is no different.

I agree, but I don't think that means it was rushed.

I'm now kind of thankful I'll be waiting a week or two to pick up the Wii U version. I'm assuming online may be "fixed" by then.

More recent Miiverse comments are claiming better experiences.

TheSeks

Maybe the PC version was rushed or lazy, but I'm having very little issue on 360. And I think your Spies V Mercs issue with the spies meleeing you may be one of tactics. As a merc you shouldn't be trying to counter a spy melee..

No, but I should be able to counter them sitting on a corner or over a railing I can see but can't do shit about and if I attempt to do shit about it they'll just come up and melee me or melee the dude that goes around to attempt to kill them.

At this stage I've hardly touched the single player because I've been enjoying the splitscreen co-op more. Me and my brother managed to 100% Ghost Hawkins Seafort on Perfectionist difficulty in 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkbyur9iADw

It's a shame stealth games are so underrepresented, particularly ones that allow you to play co-op. Seeing all the pieces of the level fall into place and finding that perfect heist/spy movie level of fluidity is awesome.

Pyronite

I'm not encountering "the bugs". Stahsky hit on the only one I've experienced - wonky alt+tab behavior. (Thanks for the fix, Stahsky!)

TheSeks

I'm not encountering "the bugs". Stahsky hit on the only one I've experienced - wonky alt+tab behavior. (Thanks for the fix, Stahsky!)

So you haven't had SvM completely freeze on you and have the timer going but you can't enter menus, can't spawn, can't do anything but wait to be kicked for "idling" or things of that sort in multiplayer? You haven't had your controller (if you're using it) completely drop out to where you can't even enter the game with it or even use it in game even though it was fine for five days. You haven't had the game start up Windowed or full-screen when you had the option set to one or the other before that?

Grisby

Also I finally went back to the campaign and got through the "American Consumption" mission. Was pretty damn fun.

I'm just really enjoying Blacklist as a whole. Just a variety of things to do.

Gaz_RB

So you haven't had SvM completely freeze on you and have the timer going but you can't enter menus, can't spawn, can't do anything but wait to be kicked for "idling" or things of that sort in multiplayer? You haven't had your controller (if you're using it) completely drop out to where you can't even enter the game with it or even use it in game even though it was fine for five days. You haven't had the game start up Windowed or full-screen when you had the option set to one or the other before that?
Maybe try reinstalling? Definitely not that buggy on 360.

Genuinely the only things wrong with this are the story and characterization. They've really done right by Splinter Cell from a gameplay perspective. I have a sinking feeling it's going to sell like garbage though.

SystemBug

Just finished off the game. Pretty good!

While the levels were well designed, I felt as thought they weren't that memorable compared to Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Every level in Conviction had a unique color palette to it but here, it seems like things are either brown or grey,

Grisby

Two other quick things:

1) It's a lot of fun to kill spies in the Uplink mode. Every one picks spies and I mow them the f down as a Merc. They just rush to the computer.

2)I think the violin track that plays during the phone conversations with Sarah is a softer version of my favorite track from Conviction. It's the main theme and the 'final scene' theme respectively.

Danny 117

Two other quick things:

2)I think the violin track that plays during the phone conversations with Sarah is a softer version of my favorite track from Conviction. It's the main theme and the 'final scene' theme respectively.

Yeah I noticed this too. Definitely the main theme from conviction.

Gaz_RB

Online is certainly buggy on Wii U.

Yeah I've heard bad things about the Wii U version. No doubt that version was rushed out. Single player looks pretty good though.

PS one thing I hate about money systems in games is when they don't have enough stuff to buy. I'm sitting on 100,000,000 right now with nothing to spend it on...

Wurdfurd

Didn't see a community thread but if anyone wants to play some SvM or co-op on PC send me a PM.

As to the point earlier about the game being rushed, I don't know why I'm even surprised anymore. I cant remember the last game I bought day 1 that didn't have problems.

Why do you think it was rushed... I thought it seemed like they put a lot of effort into it.

Ubisoft has a weird habit of doing crappy beta-testing. ZombiU, for instance, had at least five game-breaking bugs for a few months, more than one of which forced the player to restart the game from the beginning.

In Blacklist for my U, my first attempt at SvM froze the game, and I had to unplug the console to fix it. The multiplayer is broken to the point of unplayability.

zychi

Banned
Can someone give me an idea of how much more story I have? Sardiq just
got away and sam is sick from the nerve gas

Effect

Online is certainly buggy on Wii U.

Fun but really buggy is the main impression I'm getting in regard to the Wii u version. Glad I wasn't able to buy it right away and held off when given the option after the first bad reports started coming out.

Any word from Ubisoft regarding a patch or are they not responding at all? Anyone know?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Can someone give me an idea of how much more story I have? Sardiq just
got away and sam is sick from the nerve gas

You're more than halfway through the game. Still got a number of missions ahead of you.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Also I finally went back to the campaign and got through the "American Consumption" mission. Was pretty damn fun.

I'm just really enjoying Blacklist as a whole. Just a variety of things to do.

I just finished that one myself this morning. Got a huge Chaos Theory vibe from it. Actually I reckon this is the best SC game since CT, not that it would be hard. ;)

Splinter Cell: Blacklist/ Watchdogs. Two totally different games, two totally different protagonists. Both coming out this year and both being performance captured by two Rookie Blue actors. Ubisoft must really love that show. Shit!

Killing people with guns really isn't all that satisfying from the panther run I just did. The melee moves are very nice and crunchy but guns don't really feel very powerful(barely any enemy hit reactions) and they seem to have removed all blood for some weird reason despite in cutscenes it being the most violent Splinter Cell game yet.

Sojgat

A couple of these Briggs missions would be awesome if they weren't co-op only.

I think this is one of those rare games where I'm going to end up buying a lot of the DLC.

I just hope they make everything soloable.

Killing people with guns really isn't all that satisfying from the panther run I just did. The melee moves are very nice and crunchy but guns don't really feel very powerful(barely any enemy hit reactions) and they seem to have removed all blood for some weird reason despite in cutscenes it being the most violent Splinter Cell game yet.

The more powerful guns kick up quite a bit of red mist.

jmizzal

Fun but really buggy is the main impression I'm getting in regard to the Wii u version. Glad I wasn't able to buy it right away and held off when given the option after the first bad reports started coming out.

Any word from Ubisoft regarding a patch or are they not responding at all? Anyone know?

Word from Ubisoft is a patch is coming soon to the WiiU version

Sober

I've seen some knife kills actually leave a blood spurt decal on a wall occasionally. Not sure the AI notices it but there is blood.

A couple of these Briggs missions would be awesome if they weren't co-op only.

I think this is one of those rare games where I'm going to end up buying a lot of the DLC.

I just hope they make everything soloable.
Soloable co-op maps feel like they are definitely the strongest offerings, again, even if they are somewhat bite-sized. SP levels themselves are more or less fantastic as well. I would definitely love to see more DLC from them with one-off ops or even maybe some with smaller arcs (almost like Grim's, really) even if they end up being more narrative driven (actual SP maps, prologue stuff maybe?). I'd actually like to see more banter from the crew when it isn't AMG AMERICA NEXT BLACKLIST ATTACK IN 8 HOURS GOTTA FIND A LEAD.

TheSeks

Well, made it to Wave 4 of the first Computer Nerd missions undetected... kinda. You have to play it sort-of Ghost/Panther hybrid and pray you get ghost points for the knockouts before they're fully alerted and try to use your gadgets to knock 2+ out at a time.

Fixed the controller issue by reinstalling drivers. I dunno WTF was the problem but that seemed to work. *knock on wood* I'll have to retry that co-op mission tomorrow if it didn't save my progress... *sigh* Dogs being introduced in the third wave makes for some tricky ghost strategies. You have to knock them and like 2 guards out on perfectionist to make the most of your items.

I haven't played more than one match of SvM but no I didn't have any issues with single player over at least several hours in the past 4 days.

Well, made it to Wave 4 of the first Computer Nerd missions undetected... kinda. You have to play it sort-of Ghost/Panther hybrid and pray you get ghost points for the knockouts before they're fully alerted and try to use your gadgets to knock 2+ out at a time.
I only played one of those missions and didn't attempt more than 5 ways but I can't see my self playing any other way than shoot everyone in the head with a gun like it's Conviction all over again. Mark n execute.

Gaz_RB

I've seen some knife kills actually leave a blood spurt decal on a wall occasionally. Not sure the AI notices it but there is blood.

Soloable co-op maps feel like they are definitely the strongest offerings, again, even if they are somewhat bite-sized. SP levels themselves are more or less fantastic as well. I would definitely love to see more DLC from them with one-off ops or even maybe some with smaller arcs (almost like Grim's, really) even if they end up being more narrative driven (actual SP maps, prologue stuff maybe?). I'd actually like to see more banter from the crew when it isn't AMG AMERICA NEXT BLACKLIST ATTACK IN 8 HOURS GOTTA FIND A LEAD.

I'd like to see 4th Echelon after all this Blacklist stuff, and see how it functions normally as an agency. It'd be cool to have the team working on globe trotting missions dealing with random threats. I just want mooaaar

TheSeks

I want Commander Fisher and Wrex action. Briggs isn't Wrex-enough for me.

I only played one of those missions and didn't attempt more than 5 ways but I can't see my self playing any other way than shoot everyone in the head with a gun like it's Conviction all over again. Mark n execute.

Perfectionist
rightly so
disables the Mark and Execute action. You have to take them down all by yourself. I dunno if co-op doubles the amount of enemies or if they stay the same. If it was the later, it could probably be made easier by having a few distractions/lures and then taking them out one at a time.

UrbanRats

Man, i don't care if someone thinks it's dudebro-press-A-for-Awesome; throwing a smoke grenade, chain melee 3 dudes, and then (manually) headshot a 4th one in the distance, in 2 seconds, feels good. Damn good.

Yeah, I knew that, I want to reset the paladin and the whole story so I can listen to some conversations I missed.

Ah, you'd have to delete your save file then. You can't just reset it as far as I can tell, it continues on so you can replay missions with better gear and the like.

Top Bottom