• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Killing people with guns really isn't all that satisfying from the panther run I just did. The melee moves are very nice and crunchy but guns don't really feel very powerful(barely any enemy hit reactions) and they seem to have removed all blood for some weird reason despite in cutscenes it being the most violent Splinter Cell game yet.

Usually when you shoot weaker mooks in the chest/legs the double over in pain, and blowing off a guy's helmet and watching him run around all scared is pretty fun. Tougher enemies don't react much at all, though.

UrbanRats

Dunno how much of it is true but someone on reddit said it also resets your SvM progress so yeah.

So it says when you do it.
I did it because i had accidentally skipped the intro and it told me everything would reset, singleplayer, coop and MP.
Of course i hadn't done shit yet, so i'm not sure what gets lost.

DrBo42

Finally finished SP and COOP campaign. Really enjoyed the game. Co-op campaign ending cinematic has some awesome future potential.

DrBo42

Theres a different ending for co-op? Like you do the last mission co-op to get it?

When you return to the Paladin after there's a big pay-off to what happened in that last mission/possible future story. FYI I'm talking about the Co-op only Briggs missions. It's a narrative.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm actually really enjoying this a lot thus far. It's much more of a stealth oriented experience than expected and plays brilliantly. While it has some of the streamlining of Conviction, the actual game is nowhere near as easy as Sam can be killed rather quickly. The levels are also much wider and offer multiple routes through each area. It's a pleasant surprise for sure.

In terms of pure game and scenario design this might just be the best Splinter Cell has ever been. It's much less trial and error based than Chaos Theory and its ilk while offering much larger levels without resorting to loading points. The original games were all limited by the engine but they are able to achieve more here. It's good stuff.

just a heads up to people who don't regularly backup save files.

my game and PS3 froze during a cutscene and my save file became corrupted. i lost everything and was at about 75 percent completion.

That is ridiculous! So nice. I have no clue how that is only good enough for 3rd.

Thanks! I can't work out where the other players are getting an extra 400 or so points from. As far as I can see we're taking the most direct route to the goals, not being seen, not killing anyone, not arousing any suspicion, and still we're short on points, even with the time bonus. I even deliberately activated the secret passage. Oh well, we've smashed everyone else as far as time goes, and had a lot of fun doing so.

Just finished on Perfectionist. Going in I had my doubts and was thinking I was going to be lucky to have a couple of night time, stealth orientated missions and the rest was going to be broad daylight shoot outs. Well I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed every single level and that the entire game was stealth-able, even the first couple daylight missions were fun and allowed me to play ghost style. Highlights for me were infiltrating the mansion in mission 4 and taking out all the mercenaries non lethally as they stormed the house and the final mission. There were only a few parts I disliked which were the
UAV sections which were luckily very short, the ambush while the plane was taking off (still ghosted it though) and the FPS sections (shudder).
I'd put it right up there with the original and Chaos Theory.

jukeboxtimebomb

Neo Member
This is my first Splinter Cell game, and damn, i'm having fun. I've done three main missions and three side missions. I need to check out that Spies vs Mercs everyone is talking about.

Onikaan

Sigh.

This is a good game. Hampered by game breaking bugs.

Had to turn the xbox off completely just now because I pressed start to retry from a checkpoint and it wouldn't allow me to pick any of the menu's options.

An hour of progress gone. EDIT: It allowed me to reload from a checkpoint. Phew.

It's really having an affect on my overall enjoyment.

Sojgat

Doing the Charlie missions solo at the moment. Once you get above level 8 you pretty much have to go full assault. I'll admit the combat is far better than I originally thought, it's actually a lot of fun. You have to be constantly moving and using all the gadgets, then slip back into the shadows to get th drop on the next wave. The enemy combinations the game starts throwing at you are crazy. Dogs, just endless dogs... and exploding drones.

strafer

Jesus fucking christ.

Need some help.

How the fuck are you suppose to get through Camp X-ray? The two laser snipers keep seeing me everytime. I tried sneaking. Rushing. Throwing smokes.

It just doesn't wanna work.

How did you get past?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
anybody had any random shutdowns, only on the first mission and my slim just turn off, had to unplug and rebuild database

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, I knew that, I want to reset the paladin and the whole story so I can listen to some conversations I missed.

Start->Reset story or something, it's in the settings menu but you lose your SvM levels, your equipment, and your Paladin upgrades. Not really worth it.

Jesus fucking christ.

Need some help.

How the fuck are you suppose to get through Camp X-ray? The two laser snipers keep seeing me everytime. I tried sneaking. Rushing. Throwing smokes.

How did you get past?

If that's the bit I think it is, I hugged the wall on the right side and got about halfway to one of the laser snipers in the watchtower before he saw me, so I whipped out the sticky shocker crossbow and took him out. Then I just moved on from there.

UrbanRats

Jesus fucking christ.

Need some help.

How did you get past?

I
put both snipers and the dog to sleep with my remote drone.

ibgzM45WMjaYFE.gif

Perfectionist
rightly so
disables the Mark and Execute action. You have to take them down all by yourself. I dunno if co-op doubles the amount of enemies or if they stay the same. If it was the later, it could probably be made easier by having a few distractions/lures and then taking them out one at a time.

Oh right Perfectionist. I am not one of the crazy people who hates fun so I didn't decide to jump into the game at the highest difficulty where a good chunk of game mechanics does not exist.

Sober

Oh right Perfectionist. I am not one of the crazy people who hates fun so I didn't decide to jump into the game at the highest difficulty where a good chunk of game mechanics does not exist.
I maybe used mark and execute once on realistic, and I pretty much handicapped myself to mostly what they took out in perfectionist. So the game definitely feels balanced (or you can make the argument for) without those helpers in mind.

Well the AI might be tougher though....

_RT_

I made a bad choice and picked up Payday 2 instead of holding out for this,
I think it's time to cut my losses and get this ordered.

I maybe used mark and execute once on realistic, and I pretty much handicapped myself to mostly what they took out in perfectionist. So the game definitely feels balanced (or you can make the argument for) without those helpers in mind.

Well the AI might be tougher though....

I am not using mark and execute except for a rare occasion either but at least there is some use for sonar goggles on realistic. They seem to be entirely useless on perfectionist so I have no idea why there are there. Strangely enough the radar is still there for some reason.

My point is that perfectionist is a significant change to the rules and mechanics of the game that you don't even have access to at the start. It just lops off a bunch of stuff and you might not know what kind of an effect it has on the gameplay.

Either way my reaction to this is all in the context of "extraction" missions which is just a dumb horde mode where you can sit in front of a monster closet and shoot terrorists as they run out of it one by one and watch the wave counter go down.

Stopped playing single player for a couple days to play through the co op stuff split screen. Just back in single player now, at the Transit Yards level and holy fucking shit the first person sections suuuuuuck.

I didn't play Splinter Cell to play a FPS, christ.

hao chi

just a heads up to people who don't regularly backup save files.

my game and PS3 froze during a cutscene and my save file became corrupted. i lost everything and was at about 75 percent completion.

Ugh, that happened to me a couple times in Chaos Theory. I was hoping Ubisoft would have finally fixed their shit.

Sorry about your saves though.

69wpm

20 minutes of Wii U footage on YouTube.

Dear God, I have no idea how somebody can play this with German voices, it's horrible.

Edit: Did they patch the Wii U version? I don't see the frame rate drops in cut scenes like in other videos.

Dear God, I have no idea how somebody can play this with German voices, it's horrible.

Edit: Did they patch the Wii U version? I don't see the frame rate drops in cut scenes like in other videos.

No patch. Can't say I really noticed any drops anyway.

TheSeks

I am not using mark and execute except for a rare occasion either but at least there is some use for sonar goggles on realistic. They seem to be entirely useless on perfectionist so I have no idea why there are there. Strangely enough the radar is still there for some reason.

Buy the footprint tracker, Sonar becomes useful when you can see enemy movements before making moves.

My point is that perfectionist is a significant change to the rules and mechanics of the game that you don't even have access to at the start. It just lops off a bunch of stuff and you might not know what kind of an effect it has on the gameplay.

Except I know what effects they have on gameplay since I played SC1-5 before 6/Blacklist launched. And honestly, Perfectionist is probably the first time since Pandora Tomorrow/2 to actually make me think of my actions and ways around enemies or groups. It's refreshing "kneecapping" myself to "hate" fun.

Either way my reaction to this is all in the context of "extraction" missions which is just a dumb horde mode where you can sit in front of a monster closet and shoot terrorists as they run out of it one by one and watch the wave counter go down.

Actually my experience trying to ghost it has been pretty much the same as a "monster closet" but I stay near corners and take loners out as quick as I can and then abuse equipment on the groups that won't break for me to take out one at a time. It's kinda interesting that way instead of "LOL PEW PEW PEW HEADSHOTS."

StevieP

Banned

There was a day one patch. The Wii u version does maintain a solid 30 without tearing however. But like the other console versions, the lack of texture filtering and proper as look like crap on my tv.

Frodo

Why is this game £55 on the eShop? This is like U$85 for the game. It is ridiculous. It is like Ubisoft does not want you to buy it digitally.

Also, does the freezing and bugs occur on all platforms equally?

69wpm

There was a day one patch. The Wii u version does maintain a solid 30 without tearing however. But like the other console versions, the lack of texture filtering and proper as look like crap on my tv.

In this analysis the frame rate drops to 11, yes eleven, in a freaking cut scene. This is beyond ridiculous. I don't know if the day one patch fixed this, the guys from the video didn't mention anything.

TheSeks

Wow, the Sleeping Gas Cross-bow counts as a combat action? Well, guess I'll stick to the Stun Gun then.

Question. What contributes to panther? I seem to only get ghost for stealth takedowns and assault if I mess up and have to shoot people.

Is there any reason to use knife over nonlethal take down?

Kazerei

Banned
In this analysis the frame rate drops to 11, yes eleven, in a freaking cut scene. This is beyond ridiculous. I don't know if the day one patch fixed this, the guys from the video didn't mention anything.

Hmm, I didn't notice the framerate drop like that when I played through that cutscene

Question. What contributes to panther? I seem to only get ghost for stealth takedowns and assault if I mess up and have to shoot people.

Is there any reason to use knife over nonlethal take down?

Lethal stealth takedowns (open the weapon wheel to toggle between non-lethal and lethal) and stealth kills (kill without being detected; go for headshots)

Use the knife if you want panther points

Top Bottom