• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Sober

i needa see some videos of these lol. loved those crazy dishonored videos too.

does execute 1 hit armored guys(+ shield)?
No, a heavy hit with mark and execute will pop off his helmet and just freaks him out. A shield enemy, not entirely sure but I assume facing might matter but it's probably just a heavy behind it anyway.

So since so many people here seem to enjoy this game, I went out and picked it up today. I'm installing it on my 360 right now and I'm pretty pumped to play it. I haven't bought a new game since Bioshock: Infinite came out. Hopefully I enjoy it as much as the rest of GAF appears to.

Gbraga

Most videos I see people have changed the light color. What's wrong with you people?

I just can't do it, I love me some purple and Ghost Blue seems pretty too, but I can't get myself to play a mission without the default lights, I feel dirty.

danielcw

The multiplayer is awful. Why use P2P? Why in god's name use P2P?

Me and my friends have tried setting up a lobby (4 ppl) for hours, it's impossible.

Using Peer To Peer instead of Client/Server does not explain any issues with people not joining you.
And I am pretty sure the game uses a client/server architecture, or otherwise there wouldn't be problems with host migration

1) How many waves do the horde mode style missions last?

2) I've seen dead drops in those levels and not been able to figure out how to get them. Like on the first embassy for example, to the left of the building. Any ideas?

Gaz_RB

1) How many waves do the horde mode style missions last?

2) I've seen dead drops in those levels and not been able to figure out how to get them. Like on the first embassy for example, to the left of the building. Any ideas?

1) 20 waves, only need to stay for at least 5 to complete it.

2)
you have to climb to a ledge under the roof and shimmy above the gate

strafer

Just got a 7mb patch on the 360. Wonder if it fixes the brigg co-op mission.

XBOX
General:
• Fix timer and progress bar for Daily Challenges
• Shadownet: Fix tracking of Shocking Kos Ghost challenge
• Fix misc issues with launching challenges from Shadownet with an offline profile
• Fix misc issues with Gone Dark challenges
• Fix misc issues with guards shooting sticky camera and not engaging search behavior

Single Player:
• Fix Nouri not following Sam in rare conditions in Private Estate mission

CO-OP:
• Fix animation glitch when sliding down a ladder and immediately throwing a grenade
• Fix mission preview image not updating when cycling through different missions in the settings

Spies vs Mercs:
• Extraction: Fix Intel stuck on weapon when a client is dropping it twice in a row
• Extraction: Fix potential exploit where an ammo box placed in front of the Intel drop crate would allow to skip the “securing the intel” animation
• Fix not being able to invite more people to Private Match after playing a match in a mode where the maximum number of players is lower than the maximum number of players for the new mode
• Fix Drone Hunter points not awarded when blowing up the drone with certain gadgets
• Fix waypoint staying red when Pandora settings are ON and a hacker has been killed
• Fix accessing an empty menu when trying to view the Customization Screen or match Settings right when the countdown reaches 0
• Fix general host migration issues
• Fix rare cases of Spies falling out of maps
• Fix spawning with no weapon and unable to shoot when pushing the stick forward during the character selection screen until the match starts

hao chi

using execute never fails to disappoint...

what do you guys do if made? shoot your way out, or restart?

I usually just restart, though there's been a couple times where I've been spotted right before a checkpoint and I was feeling lazy, so I just ran away.

XBOX

CO-OP:
• Fix animation glitch when sliding down a ladder and immediately throwing a grenade
• Fix mission preview image not updating when cycling through different missions in the settings
So I guess that means the main co-op glitch that's seemed to affect almost everybody is still there?

Havent run the mission yet myself, but was hoping to over the weekend. Would be nice to have some peace of mind that it wasn't going to glitch out on me.

DesertFox

i miss his dialogue he has with guards that you interrogate in the older ones when you get behind them lol.

was such a badass motherfucker.

now he's badass in a different way.
One of my favorite Sam lines is in CT when you grab an NK soldier to interrogate for the CIA agent other splinter cell in your ear.

Sam Fisher: Tell me where Cho Is.
NK Soldier: I....I don't know!
Sam: He's not talking, should I kill him?
Agent 1: NO DON'T!
Sam: Ok... they said I should kill you...
NK Soldier: No! Wait! He's in the club down the way!
Sam: You got that guys?

hao chi

One of my favorite Sam lines is in CT when you grab an NK soldier to interrogate for the CIA agent in your ear.

CIA agents? Weren't you getting info for the coop Splinter Cells?

Edit: That conversation is great though. I loved Sam's dark sense of humor.

One of my favorite Sam lines is in CT when you grab an NK soldier to interrogate for the CIA agent other splinter cell in your ear.

I vividly remember this one. Loved it. The new guy can't be Ironside, but it is the same character... they need to write him some more front-and-center dark humour next time.
What kind of crazy knife does Sam have in this game anyway.
The karambit? I thought it was pretty sick. The curve is vicious.

What kind of crazy knife does Sam have in this game anyway.
Karambit.

ijpRX9ybgIOTL.jpg

Nifty Blacklist pre-release hype video that includes a bit of it and more here.

how do you use the camera to spy under the closed doors in the wiiu version?
Is it not the same as every other version? There's an arrow that appears on the door near the bottom. Look down at it and then push whatever the action button is (my guess is either A or B on the gamepad). The same button you'd use to open door, just look at the bottom of the door instead?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is it not the same as every other version? There's an arrow that appears on the door near the bottom. Look down at it and then push whatever the action button is (my guess is either A or B on the gamepad). The same button you'd use to open door, just look at the bottom of the door instead?

got it, thank you!
cool to move 360º the gamepad to look around!

so for y'all who are playing this without giving a damn about score or perfection or w/e first playthrough.

what's your morality? Who are you killing, who are you knocking out, who are you just ignoring?

I pretty much just knock out everyone that seems like just normal dudes. Killing all engineers though.

also kill all enemies that shoot at you after a cutscene thingy.

Basically if they shoot at me, and its not due to me messing up... they dead. Otherwise, they live!

Sojgat

Just thought I'd mention that Carlo Rota's performance was fantastic in this game. On my 3rd playthrough, and I'm still not skipping any of the cutscenes that feature him. Will be a hard villain to top in the next Splinter Cell.

what's your morality? Who are you killing, who are you knocking out, who are you just ignoring?
Funny you should ask. I started off non-lethal until I'd see or hear something to make me want to gut the bad guys. And there was almost always something - innocent bodies lying around, hostages, talk about dirty bombs whatever. Then the karambit would come out.

Nowadays I prefer to go lethal just because I want to break out the silenced sniper at some point, and those knife animations don't really get old either.

demolitio

Funny you should ask. I started off non-lethal until I'd see or hear something to make me want to gut the bad guys. And there was almost always something - innocent bodies lying around, hostages, talk about dirty bombs whatever. Then the karambit would come out.

Nowadays I prefer to go lethal just because I want to break out the silenced sniper at some point, and those knife animations don't really get old either.

Exactly. I started the game as ghost but I find the knife animations too much fun to avoid so I mix it up a bit depending on who I'm going against in the mission. If I think the bad guys are REALLY bad guys, then they're fucked. If I think they're just idiots trying to be a part of something, I'll spare them.

I think we both probably went lethal the first time we got to hostages and saw some dead innocents. That's when I decided to go from pure ghost to panther. I think the silenced sniper rifles put me over the edge and made me decide I want to at least try it out on a few guys before going back to melee.

The game feels good no matter how you play it really.

Edit: To be honest, I think Uplay is the thing that made me rage and go lethal. This is the biggest piece of shit I have installed on my computer and it's constantly screwing up while having none of the features that make these services great. It's like Ubisoft saw EA release Origin and got jealous of the extra profits so they decided to give $1,000 to a few guys to put together their own service so they can sell their games there too. Blacklist is quite buggy and Uplay just makes it worse considering it does weird things after crashes.

Edit: To be honest, I think Uplay is the thing that made me rage and go lethal.
lol

I don't doubt this.

Also, seriously, its a sweet feeling to replay some earlier missions or side missions and take out enemy snipers quickly and silently. Its sweet justice for spending so much time before patiently tracking their actions before scurrying out of their view.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
On Perfectionist playing Ghost style for my first playthrough that sp campaign feels like an awesome.length. Just finished the 9th mission where you disable the four
bombs in the train yard. Didn't mind the fps bit at all, in fact I enjoyed it

Got a hankering to play Chaos Theory again after this. Can anyone tell me how it runs on PS3? Only played the Xbox version 8yrs ago.

Onikaan

Funny you should point this out actually.

Mission Spoilers.
On the Chicago Mission I was ghosting and K.O'd a few guards. Went into the hostage room, slipped in next to a merc who was sexually intimidating one of the female hostages.

Needless to say I cleaned that room out.

For that moment alone I have to give it to the developers. Surely there was some forethought there.

strafer

Mission Spoilers.
On the Chicago Mission I was ghosting and K.O'd a few guards. Went into the hostage room, slipped in next to a merc who was sexually intimidating one of the female hostages.

For that moment alone I have to give it to the developers. Surely there was some forethought there.

I put a bullet in that guys head. The way he talked made me rage. :D

Yep, my flip switched right then and there too.

It was like the devs were whispering in my ear:

sneaky devs said:
You know you want to.
They're asking for it.
I mean, seriously.
That guy in particular is just very bad news.
And his friends are cool with it!
Panther is a very viable playstyle you know.
We worked on it and stuff.
Don't you want to see how fluid the animations are?
Ironside would totally shred these guys a new one.
Just sayin'

While the talk was all "paleo diet" and beating the shit out of people I let them live. But then new information came to light, man.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
whoa, I'm lovi' it.
good switch on the go between weapons on the touch, good sensor and second screen use for drones and cameras and sniper...
and great stealth and exploration gameplay overall

demolitio

Mission Spoilers.

Exactly the same spot for me as well. Definitely well thought out on their part.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Done with SvM until Ubisoft trolls me with even MORE ACHIEVEMENTS.

Just leaves Co-op and finishing the singleplayer to do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chaos Theory. Dunno the mission.
The game is in the Youtube sidebar/recommended videos.

Question: Do the silenced boots actually lessen your impact on the merc noise detector? Or just it literally just remove walking sounds?

To the whole mysterious group called Megiddo who pretty much behind the Third Echelon Conspiracy? I would of figured Sam would be looking to go after them after everything they've done.

Gaz_RB

To the whole mysterious group called Megiddo who pretty much behind the Third Echelon Conspiracy? I would of figured Sam would be looking to go after them after everything they've done.

Vanished! One of the plot elements from the previous games left behind in the soft reboot.

Left behind with Ironside's voice.

And Sam's face.

Vanished! One of the plot elements from the previous games left behind in the soft reboot.

Left behind with Ironside's voice.

And Sam's face.

It's a shame, yeah. But if I remember correctly Ironside said he didn't really want to voice the character anymore.

Not to say I didn't enjoy the game, but there are a few parts a felt where left unexplained.

Like how Sadiq found out about Fourth Echelon's existence.

Also who are those Splinter Cell looking guys with the Thermal Goggles that show up near the end of the Abandoned Mill level? I know they work for the Engineers, but they don't seem to have been given a background.

Top Bottom