• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Can someone tell me what happened in the cut scene before American Fuel stage?
After finishing the prison and the assault on the Paladin there was a cut scene on the Paladin and I kept getting the odd black and white video footage. Something was unraveling but then my PS3 locked up. When I rebooted the mission started when the plane was infected with the virus so I never saw the previous cut scene

You can play all of the game as ghost. Even the part in the train. Took me like an hour to figure it out but if you use smoke before you enter and wait they will change stance and you can knock them out for stealth points.

There is no point in the campaign where you are forced to get panther or assault points.

When first entering the train
If you are using the crossbow you can shoot a gas canister into the second carriage and the two guys will run into the gas. If done right you can actually get all three including the QOD for a 3x stealth takedown

Onikaan

So I'm pretty terrible at SvM classic. Especially as the spy. Only have 1 successful hack so far.

Anyone have any tips for me? Or any good YouTube videos for strategies?

Edit: are the rules the same as blacklist mode? Can a spy only be seen on motion detector if they're running or not crouched?

If I could give you any pointers...

- Stay out of sight. Always keep an eye on where the enemy is and move accordingly. If they never catch sight of you they'll wander around looking in the wrong place.

- Move slowly. If you start running you'll pop up on their motion sensor. Keeping the merc in the dark (no pun) at all times will win you games.

Just emphasizing on the don't get spotted aspect. Don't be a hero trying to run in and knife them both.

Classic mode is so much fun if you have a good team-mate. Blacklist is alright, but shouldn't be taken seriously. It's rage inducing.

Sober

Can someone tell me what happened in the cut scene before American Fuel stage?
After finishing the prison and the assault on the Paladin there was a cut scene on the Paladin and I kept getting the odd black and white video footage. Something was unraveling but then my PS3 locked up. When I rebooted the mission started when the plane was infected with the virus so I never saw the previous cut scene

When first entering the train
If you are using the crossbow you can shoot a gas canister into the second carriage and the two guys will run into the gas. If done right you can actually get all three including the QOD for a 3x stealth takedown
Yeah that kinda sucks actually. If you want to watch the mission debrief I guess you can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Xi2p0XpMMCk#t=2320

After my first save got corrupted during the last mission I immediately started a new game to feed my SC addiction; just completed it the other day, and I must admit, I'm impressed. Overall, Blacklist was a much better Splinter Cell game than I first gave it credit for and I'm craving DLC for it - more Grimm co-op missions in particular.

I liked being able to customise my suit (Stealth Nanofiber ftw), and, surprisingly, new Sam didn't grate on me as much as he could have; although his sulky pre-mission face, and short flat hair needs to go imo.

Playing the co-op missions splitscreen with my brother was a definite highlight, and it brought me right back to good old days of Chaos Theory co-op. It's ridiculous how few games include this nowadays. So far we've spent most time on Grimm's missions, and have found endless fun exploring and devising new routes to speedrun. We've spent hours on single levels, and the design has to be praised for allowing so many gameplay options.

My main criticisms, though, are the glitches and bugs. There's no excuse for this. While I didn't encounter many, the ones I did experience were shit... I saw how long those credits were, you can't tell me nobody in QA noticed them. All throughout the single player the voices (PS3 version) would often completely drop out of cutscenes. Luckily I had the subtitles on or else I would have missed big chunks of dialogue. The frame rate during cutscenes frequently slowed right down, and at one point froze during an autosave, corrupting my file. That's not good enough for a series this cool, with enough people working on it to fill a small country.

End Game Single Player + Co-op Spoilers:
Considering everyone was mentioning how you should complete all of Brigg's mission for some extra story, I was convinced there would be a revelation about him being a traitor, but no. I was pleasantly surprised. He was just another Fourth Echelon guy and a valuable member to the team. Kobin was great, too. Despite him clearly being a shit-head I found him oddly likeable.

As of right now I haven't touched the multiplayer, and I'm not sure if I will much at this point. The Last of us is scratching that multiplayer stealth itch, and I'd rather not be a potential liability to the more serious SC online players.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. I may edit this post later to make it more concise, but for now it'll have to stand as is. The point is I enjoyed the game a lot, and I'm really looking forward to the next entry in the series.

Lima

What's the Kinect integration? Just voice distractions?

Whoa man! That's not it! You forgot the best part!

You can customize the sound that the goggles make when they turn on!!! :O

!

How do you do that?!

Idk, that's just what the back of the box says haha

Following up on this guys I made some research on this. I also found this on the back of the box but could never do it. Then I found it while going through the menus.

You can customize the sound the sticky cam, sticky noisemaker and tricopter make. If you are in the menu just press back on of these items to record a sound using kinect.

I used this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icv-7qvFAHQ

Shit is funny as hell.

MAX PAYMENT

Following up on this guys I made some research on this. I also found this on the back of the box but could never do it. Then I found it while going through the menus.

You can customize the sound the sticky cam, sticky noisemaker and tricopter make. If you are in the menu just press back on of these items to record a sound using kinect.

I used this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icv-7qvFAHQ

Shit is funny as hell.

That's hilarious. Can your coop friends hear it online?

How the hell are you supposed to deal with dogs? Everytime I get near a mutt it spots me out almost instantly.

Any tips?
Scout out the area with the tri-rotor before you see the dog, or lure it to you from a medium distance with a sound then pop around the corner with a sticky shocker or something. Really the only ways I ever did it and it works everytime. Someone will likely see the body, but there's not much else you can do.

MAX PAYMENT

How the hell are you supposed to deal with dogs? Everytime I get near a mutt it spots me out almost instantly.

Any tips?
I haven't had any problems with dogs.
If you time it right, you can kick them before they bite you.

They're also vulnerable to corner take downs, death from above, and all other weapons.

Alpende

I haven't had any problems with dogs.
If you time it right, you can kick them before they bite you.

They're also vulnerable to corner take downs, death from above, and all other weapons.

Scout out the area with the tri-rotor before you see the dog, or lure it to you from a medium distance with a sound then pop around the corner with a sticky shocker or something. Really the only ways I ever did it and it works everytime. Someone will likely see the body, but there's not much else you can do.

Yeah, I used the tricoptor and that kind of worked. Had to zap another guy that was doing the same rounds as the dog. They're annoying. One bark and a guy comes to check.

Any tips?

They're definitely more alert than guards and follow your scent, so try to break their pursuit by staying above them. Throughout the single player there will almost always be a higher alternate route near dogs.

I know it sounds obvious, but try not to let them see you, and quickly move location. It'll give you more time to escape to higher ground while they attempt to sniff you out.

DesertFox

- Stay out of sight. Always keep an eye on where the enemy is and move accordingly. If they never catch sight of you they'll wander around looking in the wrong place.

- Move slowly. If you start running you'll pop up on their motion sensor. Keeping the merc in the dark (no pun) at all times will win you games.

Just emphasizing on the don't get spotted aspect. Don't be a hero trying to run in and knife them both.

Classic mode is so much fun if you have a good team-mate. Blacklist is alright, but shouldn't be taken seriously. It's rage inducing.
Thanks - I think the blacklist mode has me in the mentality of "best defense is a strong offense" because the spy melee is ridiculous.

So I assume you don't show up on motion detector when crouched or ledge hanging?

Haven't had a single lockup or problem on the 360.

I did have one minor graphical issue on the cinematic that plays after the final Briggs mission where one of the characters kept blinking in and out of existence. Was funny to watch people having conversations with thin air, but they'd always re-appear once the camera angle changed. And then **bloop**, disappear again.

Thats it though. Haven't tried any versus multiplayer though. Just a fuckton of single player and a smidgen of co-op.

Ghazi

Anyone else having a lot of problems with the 360 version locking up?

I think there may be something wrong with your 360, because you've mentioned SRIV giving you a couple issues too. Do you have the games installed? Your hard drive may be dying if they're installed and giving you issues (mine had a huge problem with this before it finally took its last breath and died.)

imBask

Banned
loadings on the Wii U version are PSX level or ridiculousness...

source : i'm currently loading the Paladin to load after buying an upgrade, and I have more than enough time to come here and post about it

Goddamn I just want to play the multiplayer [PC version]. I opened the doors ports for my modem and nothing. Fuck you Ubisoft. FUCK YOU

I did have one minor graphical issue on the cinematic that plays after the final Briggs mission where one of the characters kept blinking in and out of existence. Was funny to watch people having conversations with thin air, but they'd always re-appear once the camera angle changed. And then **bloop**, disappear again.

This happened on the PS3 version, too. My brother - being an MGS fan - said that
Kobin
smuggled in Stealth Camo.

KDC720

Beat the game last night. I went to from having low expectations for this game when they showed it off a few years ago, to being my most pleasant surprise this year.

Coming from someone who liked conviction, blacklist blows out of the water in every category except story. It's a worthy successor to chaos theory and one of the best games I've played this year.

One last thing.
When you're on the Paladin after beating the game, it says the next blacklist attack is "American Dust" with question marks under time remaining. Is this a possible DLC or sequel hint?

DrBo42

Beat the game last night. I went to from having low expectations for this game when they showed it off a few years ago, to being my most pleasant surprise this year.

Coming from someone who liked conviction, blacklist blows out of the water in every category except story. It's a worthy successor to chaos theory and one of the best games I've played this year.

One last thing.
When you're on the Paladin after beating the game, it says the next blacklist attack is "American Dust" with question marks under time remaining. Is this a possible DLC or sequel hint?

I believe that's the one you cancelled at Site F. There's a call you can make to Sarah at the end and she says "So now American Dust huh?" or something to that effect. Maybe it was the one planned after? Can't remember. Anyway definitely not DLC.

Mononoke

Banned
Just wanted to thank you guys for encouraging me to get this. This is easily one of my favorite games this year. I still need to beat it, but I really really love this game and could see it being in my top 3 games this year.

loadings on the Wii U version are PSX level or ridiculousness...

source : i'm currently loading the Paladin to load after buying an upgrade, and I have more than enough time to come here and post about it

LOL, I agree!

I thought it wouldn't bother me as it didn't in AC3.... but then again, AC3 really only loaded once and you were good.
In Blacklist, the Paladin loading is fucking absurd.

I think there may be something wrong with your 360, because you've mentioned SRIV giving you a couple issues too. Do you have the games installed? Your hard drive may be dying if they're installed and giving you issues (mine had a huge problem with this before it finally took its last breath and died.)
Hmmm I hope that's not it. Yes all my games are installed.

My friend locked up twice last night during co op though so I don't think it's just me.

Online/Lag does seem to lead to weird issues in co-op. Things I've noticed every time I've played online co-op (as player 2):

* I can't HOLD *A* at the resupply boxes to do a quick inventory refresh. It just doesn't take, so I have to open the menus as if I'm customizing and then back out.

* I've hit X to get the melee kill and had soldiers stop half way through it and push me away. My guess is that while it looks like I had the complete drop on an enemy when I started, the host thinks otherwise and reverses this after the fact so I get these half-stab situations. Its like rubber-banding retro-active assassination canceling.

* In general I get spotted a million times easier and much quicker than offline. If I plant a mine on one end of the map and somebody walks over it my current position (even out of line of sight) is immediately silhouetted. Why the different rules for online?

MAX PAYMENT

Online/Lag does seem to lead to weird issues in co-op. Things I've noticed every time I've played online co-op (as player 2):

* I can't HOLD *A* at the resupply boxes to do a quick inventory refresh. It just doesn't take, so I have to open the menus as if I'm customizing and then back out.

* I've hit X to get the melee kill and had soldiers stop half way through it and push me away. My guess is that while it looks like I had the complete drop on an enemy when I started, the host thinks otherwise and reverses this after the fact so I get these half-stab situations. Its like rubber-banding retro-active assassination canceling.

* In general I get spotted a million times easier and much quicker than offline. If I plant a mine on one end of the map and somebody walks over it my current position (even out of line of sight) is immediately silhouetted. Why the different rules for online?

I'm currently playing through the game on perfectionist mode. Sometimes dudes, particularly the SpecOps guys, will straight up counter your melee halfway through the animation. It's freakin cool. Startled the hell out of me the first time because it ends with them shoving you away and you each have an instant to draw and headshot each other.
Edit: in other words, maybe it isn't the lag canceling your melee.

Edit: in other words, maybe it isn't the lag canceling your melee.
In each case these are enemies I've gotten from behind or taken down from cover while unaware. I've never been countered in either of those situations offline.

The only time i have been countered is when taking opponents head on, and aware. Thats what makes me think its lag - that on my machine the enemy is unaware. but the host thinks differently so rubber-bands it to a counter on my box. Like when you get downed in shooters even after you've run behind cover. The host just says nuh-uh and "corrects" things. This is usually a painful process ;P

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You mean for versus/SvM? Probably all of them are "half-dead"/"waiting for Ubisoft to unfuck the online" patches right now. I dunno about co-op. PC in regards to finding games at times is either finding the same 1-5 players in the mode you choose or at least able to get into two near-full games for the modes.

Also I just ran into that first-person section you guys were talking about. I dunno if it's just me playing FPS primarily, but it wasn't that bad. I defintely think they should make that an option to turn on/off though.

The
train
section was worse, IMO. Mostly because it's a forced "Assault" scenario that you have to use something the game classfies as a "Panther" kit item to pass.
Smoke the door, slide into cover and pray they aren't alert fulled. Use prox. shocker mine and maybe a noise-maker to hit three. Second area you can slide into cover easy hopefully, do 3x Proxy Shock again. If you fail and only get two, use the sticky cameras and sleep gas the enemies.
I had max Ghost at this point so it didn't matter, but getting Assault on 2 enemies and then ghost for the others
until you "break window" and get back into the train
is annoying as shit.

I dunno if the one dude that worked at Ubisoft is still here, but I don't like that forcing players that play one style into another through the story. I should be able to
clamber over the subway trains and get to the end
possibly. That breaks
securing the hostages
but there has to be some way to get through that without having to trick the games rulesets to get the preffered bonus you want. :/

Rage inducing doesn't sell it man. There is so much wrong and bullshit in that damn mode its not even funny. Jesus just thinking about it angers me.

It is forced assault. You have to bend the games rules to get through that section as a ghost.

And I would agree with this as well. To ghost you have to go against what the intention of their design for that part of the level was.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Holy crap @ loading this HD texture pack.

Avoided the PC version because of U-Play and having to DL 25 gigs ... and I figure I can trade in a console copy when I'm done. But it's been like 20 minutes, and my HD Texture pack install is only like 5% done.

I did some Googling, and everyone seems to have a different way of doing it... but I seemed to follow the correct way - don't even touch disc one... grab disc 2, don't install it... instead, launch it and install the hd pack at the prompt. Ugh... :(

I caved in and let this game seduce me, but then had this crazy idea that I would play through every Splinter Cell in order. This is going to take a while...

Bought the game yesterday, played for a couple hours (single player) and I've been thinking about the game all day. I love it when that happens.

Really happy with the WiiU version of it. I was gonna go PC, but I love being able to play on the gamepad. I wonder if I'll ever see this game running on my TV

I caved in and let this game seduce me, but then had this crazy idea that I would play through every Splinter Cell in order. This is going to take a while...

Oh man, that IS a crazy idea. Chaos Theory still holds up damn well, but I can't imagine playing the first two games at this point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, the opening of the
Gitmo
mission is INSANE. I'm sitting here like "BUT WAITS THERE ONE MORE!" to
getting my stuff back

Really hoping to get back in this tomorrow. Been stuck on a big project at work, so I've been mostly playing quick, portable games when I can.

Have there been any patches for the Wii U version (minus the day 1 download) to fix any of the online issues that users were complaining about?

Top Bottom