• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Lingitiz

Just finished the special operations base, not too fond of that mission but it had it's moments.

The Philly mission just isn't good., it's too skewed towards action and the train area is truly awful. Overall I really like the game but that whole level felt like it was done by another team.

DukeBobby

Just finished Private Estate. My favourite mission so far.

I hated American Consumption though, aside from the beginning. I can't stand timed sections.

End game spoilers ->
This final boss is fucking infuriating.

I got to the QTE grapple section, lost (twice) and now I have to do the whole goddamn thing over a third time. Why the hell did they feel the need to do this?!

Edit: third times the charm I guess

End game spoilers ->
This final boss is fucking infuriating.

I got to the QTE grapple section, lost (twice) and now I have to do the whole goddamn thing over a third time. Why the hell did they feel the need to do this?!
I almost lost my mind with that guy, but its actually really simple.
Aim the gun at his shoulder, fire, and be ready for a minor QTE

I must have faced him at least a dozen times over before I realized it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think I'm up to the last level. Perfection Ghosted Mastery the singleplayer so far. I nearly lost my mind on
the Paladin attack hold-off
, as there's no checkpoints on that. Thankfully the Perfectionist requirement for mastery is MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH shorter than the normal levels. The problem is
hand-to-hand combating them off one by one
, if one of them didn't see me, the other one would at times if they were in groups of two.

The
LNG/Liquid Nitrogen Gas(?) facility
: Is there anyway to fully ghost it without touching anyone? That level seems more "action" packed and I ghost mastery-d it via
knocking out the ENTIRE group firing on the Delta Force squad, passing the second group. Knocking out the ENTIRE group and HVT in the third area (as required by the game), knocked out the fourth group of heavies as I didn't see a way to stealth past them.
Then there's the
chase sequence, where you have a mix of hand-to-hand (but have to luck out to not get detected) and if you have the sleep gas cross-bow, sniping those dudes quickly

I will say the
Paladin nose-diving
scene was INTENSE. Probably my favorite moment of the game despite
Sam's wonky "sliding down the plane" animation. Seems weird that holding A/sprint wouldn't have Sam slide down the SMI board area to the "table" where Phoning Sarah is, then have him "limp walk"/slide-walk toward the stairs and grab something to quickly get up there. I guess it's to "ratchet the tension" up with the timer getting to 1 min or less, but still...

I almost lost my mind with that guy, but its actually really simple.
Aim the gun at his shoulder, fire, and be ready for a minor QTE

I must have faced him at least a dozen times over before I realized it.
End game spoilers again ->
Yeah the part I had trouble was timing the knife grabs. For some reason I just couldn't get the timing on it.

Man I wish that full face mask from the last mission was an outfit unlock. It looks so badass.

Anyone manage to get "undetected" status on Special Missions HQ? Spoilers below:

There's the part in the cell where you are detected, but if you move quick enough or reload the checkpoint you should be able to avoid it. I've beaten the mission 5 times on perfectionist with pure ghost points and DEFINITELY absolutely zero detection based on literally no detection meter ever (seriously, not even partial for a couple of runs).

As far as I can tell it is bugged. Some people say they have the tickbox checked, but I think it's a complete crapshoot whether or not it registers because there is no way I'm being detected at any point.

Alpende

Just finished Private Estate. My favourite mission so far.

I hated American Consumption though, aside from the beginning. I can't stand timed sections.

I let out a huge sigh when that timer popped up. It did get my heart pumping. I only had 1 minute and 30 seconds left :p.

Pooya

Sam's VA is hilariously horrible, the guy just reads his lines, middle game spoiler...
during the part when you're gas poisoned , he speaks like nothing is happening at all, just like he's talking everywhere else...

they really couldn't find a better actor? I don't care if it's Ironside or not but this guy is just bad.

also... "don't you have some system calibrations to do?" lmao

the single player is pretty mediocre so far, online/coop is where it's at, it's embarrassing when your 8yo game still plays better in the campaign.

- there is a pool, surely I can enter it for some water take downs? no of course not Mr.Fisher forgot all that stuff.
- No hacking, no locks mini games, no emails to read.
- No funny guards conversations, no interrogations, the game's tone is too serious overall, there were some dark humor before which added a lot imo, now it's only just some silly scenes with Charlie guy or Kobin guy, Fisher is a brick. Grimm's slightly above a brick.
- Neo Fisher it's an empty shell character complete with a super generic flat voice.
- I still can't say if I am to move from A to B will I be seen or not, thanks to how random this L&S mechanic and enemy sights are. The old games got this nailed with the light and sound meters and analog movements, now here is a game of luck more or less.
Now what we have are these awful direction meters covering all over the center of the screen, making annoying noises, if anything only to disorient you and make you make a wrong move.. It doesn't help that all of ubi games have this shit now, Far Cry same thing, Assassin's Creed same thing. so tired of these...

the game frankly feels very soulless overall. coop/online is still good though. I haven't finished the campaign yet but all the missions so far are all segmented and scripted with 'story locks' which makes them way less interesting and the new Mr Fisher makes all the cutscenes super flat, hard to care about any of these.
If Conviction was a 1/10 Splinter Cell this is like 6/10, sure it's better and that's good but I still remember how this series played before. maybe better luck next time right?

Sam's VA is hilariously horrible, the guy just reads his lines, middle game spoiler...
during the part when you're gas poisoned , he speaks like nothing is happening at all

they really couldn't find a better actor? I don't care if it's Ironside or not but this guy is just bad.

also... "don't you have some system calibrations to do?" lmao

I was laughing my ass off when at the end of that mission
he has a meltdown and takes it out on Briggs. "Dont touch me!".
I honestly dont mind the VA, he can be pretty funny intentionally or not :p.

Pooya

I was laughing my ass off when at the end of that mission
he has a meltdown and takes it out on Briggs. "Dont touch me!".
I honestly dont mind the VA, he can be pretty funny intentionally or not :p.

I wish he said "You're fired! get out!" missed opportunity.

I've been really enjoying the campaign so far but did the server room mission and the trainyard last night and just eh. Sure, you could ghost it all, but it sure seemed they were setting certain parts to put you off playing that way. Not just making it difficult; actively trying to have you play another way. We'll see how the rest goes. I accepted the story is very dry and bland so far (having actually quite liked Conviction's) on the basis that the levels themselves had been very, very good but I'm not feeling it so much with those two.

TheSeks

1236939_10100307111634635_1138902580_n.jpg

1185159_10100307111639625_1442471365_n.jpg

1234068_10100307111719465_1273234072_n.jpg

We are go!

Messed up the final mission of the solo campaign by like 200 or 2000 points from Mastery of Ghost, but completed.

Screwed up my 100% Ghost, but there you go. Final stats for that. "No Kill Option" achieved.

I'm wondering if
Site F
is supposed to be knock out city. I got two "Evaded"/Panther bonuses instead of ghosting. :( That's probably what screwed me up.

Also Meggido isn't even mentioned outside of like... one mention. So I'm a bit disappointed with the story and how it ends:
"Execute Fifth Freedom": Sam doesn't kill the big bad and doesn't put him on trial. He puts him in a hole for Vic to interrogate.
Also must've missed something in the credits scene because besides
Sarah's call
you have
Vic bromance that only lasts like 10 seconds from Sam coming in the room. No revelations, no nada.

I really do hope next outing Ubisoft stops with the forced action bits that you can't ghost through unless you bend the rules to gain the ghost points and drop Sam if they aren't bringing Ironside back (And besides, Sam is going on 60 now) and just have him be an advisory/overwatch role kinda like Grim did here. Briggs should be the new "Splinter Cell" especially since he came into his own on the final mission:
"Execute Fifth Freedom: 'I'm sorry.' *snap DoD secretary's neck*"
And it seems Sam finally started to warm up toward him. I wouldn't mind that if they give Briggs a little more personality.

Also that [redacted] intel/art-work: Future DLC chapter perhaps? Seemed kinda interesting from the concept art. I hope Ubisoft brings it out. The game's fine but it needs to tweak the stealth a little more in regards to not letting me clamber over things that I should be able to. It's better than Conviction on that front but not 100% able to climb onto roofs and recon if I want to when I'm in outdoor areas.

Dave1988

Glad I decided on picking up the game even though I still can't really get used to the new Commander Fisher. Ironside for lyfe. Having said that, I'm having a blast playing this game. The missions are cool and I love that you have multiple option of navigating through the levels. Co-op is also lovely and I've had a blast doing the 4E missions with a fellow Gaffer.

By the way, anybody here playing SvM on PS3? If so, please add me. Anything's better than playing with randoms.

PSN is Dave1988. Thanks in advance.

eshwaaz

I made the mistake of watching a Longplay of the first Splinter Cell - now I miss Ironside even more.

Eric Johnson does what he can in Blacklist, but I'm even more convinced now that he was miscast. His voice and delivery just aren't Sam. Ironside was absolutely perfect; one of the most inspired castings in videogames.

Also, I'd forgotten what a revelation the original game was at the time. I know that Chaos Theory is widely considered to be the pinnacle of the series, but the first game was really something special. I am mostly pleased with how Blacklist turned out, but it's definitely interesting to go back to see how the franchise has evolved (and arguably devolved) over the years.

On a side note: Chaos Theory was the only game in the series to allow for save-anywhere, correct?

gilljoy

Just finished it a few minutes ago,

One of the most enjoyable games I've played in a while. Really want to play some other tom clancy stuff now

eshwaaz

-No hacking, no locks mini games, no emails to read.
- No funny guards conversations, no interrogations, the game's tone is too serious overall, there were some dark humor before which added a lot imo
Totally agree with these points. Those mini-games added some nice variety and helped to flesh out the world, and added to the "covert" feel of the game. The guard conversations went a long way in bringing some personality and levity to otherwise dire situations.

I'm enjoying Blacklist, but it does feel extremely staid and overly serious.

Remmy2112

How do I counter a spy coming at me and knifing me? ;_;

Use abilities, listen for audio cues, stick with buddies and use voice chat to call out spotted targets, make good use of the appropriate merc goggles.

My usual merc build has RFD goggles with a enhanced detection helmet. If a spy uses his own goggles, cloak, a suit ability, or places a device it gets a big light blue diamond around it on my HUD telling me where it is. That is very useful for knowing whether or not some asshole is around the corner.

TheSeks

I thought that helmet was for sprinting? Or am I using the "sound" one? So long as you're facing the direction you'll get a heads up. If you aren't the helmet "wave"s a sound notification that you have to turn yourself while the sound notification is there to try to find the heads up.

The Sonar is the best goggles for the spy, meanwhile.

Use abilities, listen for audio cues, stick with buddies and use voice chat to call out spotted targets, make good use of the appropriate merc goggles.

My usual merc build has RFD goggles with a enhanced detection helmet. If a spy uses his own goggles, cloak, a suit ability, or places a device it gets a big light blue diamond around it on my HUD telling me where it is. That is very useful for knowing whether or not some asshole is around the corner.

Oh, shit. I didn't realize that the gadget detection included goggles and cloak. That makes RFD goggles far more viable.

Sober

I made the mistake of watching a Longplay of the first Splinter Cell - now I miss Ironside even more.

Eric Johnson does what he can in Blacklist, but I'm even more convinced now that he was miscast. His voice and delivery just aren't Sam. Ironside was absolutely perfect; one of the most inspired castings in videogames.

Also, I'd forgotten what a revelation the original game was at the time. I know that Chaos Theory is widely considered to be the pinnacle of the series, but the first game was really something special. I am mostly pleased with how Blacklist turned out, but it's definitely interesting to go back to see how the franchise has evolved (and arguably devolved) over the years.

On a side note: Chaos Theory was the only game in the series to allow for save-anywhere, correct?

Totally agree with these points. Those mini-games added some nice variety and helped to flesh out the world, and added to the "covert" feel of the game. The guard conversations went a long way in bringing some personality and levity to otherwise dire situations.

I'm enjoying Blacklist, but it does feel extremely staid and overly serious.
Eric Johnson feels more like Sam Fisher when you do the side missions, where you have lines when you do secondary objectives (and Grim responds in kind) as well as some other certain situations you find yourself in. Honestly the SP felt 95% good (minus the few parts like the
end train car section in Philly
) but it clearly was missing any levity to the situation because "THE PLOT REQUIRES IT". Hopefully they don't have to do this next installment and bring the level of intensity back down for a while, I actually liked that the side missions actually felt more like old-school SC banter even though Sam and Grim are now both different VOs.

Also yeah, there are much less off-topic guard conversations but there are a few. Surprisingly also a few of them are just localized and not in English, but again, mostly side missions. Playing one of the Briggs missions actually has a pretty hilarious guard conversation in the final mission
the guards arguing about how is on latrine duty, I guess
or a SP one
surprisingly also about latrine duty - in the Gitmo level

It's sure be nice if I could stop being matched against level 50+ players. That problem and the overly long respawn times are turning SvM into a most frustrating experience.

DesertFox

Hmm, I'll have to give this a try. I've been using motion detector and anti-flash visor, but honestly, I can't remember the last time a spy even attempted to use a flashbang on me.

TheSeks

Co-op is too action focused, esp. in Briggs' missions.

MY FIGHT MONEY GHOST PLAYSTYLE POINTS! It be tumbling. :(

The Sonar is the best goggles for the spy, meanwhile.
Nope, the EMF is much better. Its shorter range but it gives you more tactical awareness. Well only if you like to rely on that crutch and spend all your time using goggles.

Yup. Seems like people don't know how easily the goggles highlight them. They are the best until the metagame shifts to countering the RFD goggles.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Guys demo hate me but I think that maybe this is the best SC yet....there I done it..

ev0

It's sure be nice if I could stop being matched against level 50+ players. That problem and the overly long respawn times are turning SvM into a most frustrating experience.

What's even more annoying is if say there are 4 < lvl 20 guys in the room and 4 > lvl 50 guys in the room, the matchmaking will constantly stack all the high level guys together, and they aren't even in a party together or anything.

When there's level disparity but a little more even I found it's enjoyable.
But I've been in matches that are horribly one sided where my teamates keep leaving, and new ones join who are also low level and leave quickly as well.

TheSeks

Nope, the EMF is much better. Its shorter range but it gives you more tactical awareness. Well only if you like to rely on that crutch and spend all your time using goggles.

Nah, Sonar's better. Let's you see through walls (WALLHAX) and plan your moves provided the Merc's don't have google detectors. You can also see vents easier than the shadows/non-goggles view, or maybe it's just me.

The only downside is the "pulses" of the Sonar. You are "blind" for a few seconds so some Mercs can plan ahead and catch your six while you're blind.

MAX PAYMENT

SvM ranges from the most fun and rewarding multiplayer experience I have had since pandora/chaos theory, to the must infuriating experience ever.

Playing with friends or a quality team is great, even if you lose. But a scattered, dumbass team is absolutely the worst.

DesertFox

What's even more annoying is if say there are 4 < lvl 20 guys in the room and 4 > lvl 50 guys in the room, the matchmaking will constantly stack all the high level guys together, and they aren't even in a party together or anything.

But I've been in matches that are horribly one sided where my teamates keep leaving, and new ones join who are also low level and leave quickly as well.

Yup - Classic is pretty much unplayable unless you go in with a partner. I don't think I've been able to play a single match where my teammate stays. Seems like they load up, take a look at the teams then quit.

TheSeks

Welcome to me saying this last week: The matchmaking NEEDS to take levels into account for people to have a more enjoyable experience. It's terrible getting level 40's and you're the only level 15-20 on a team of level 1-5's.

Granted, leveling up is easy and just a time-matter thing but still! There has to be better matchmaking!

Nah, Sonar's better. Let's you see through walls (WALLHAX) and plan your moves provided the Merc's don't have google detectors. You can also see vents easier than the shadows/non-goggles view, or maybe it's just me.

You should try the EMF goggles. They let you see through walls too, as well as highlighting all the intractable objects like pipes and vents and they update almost in real time so much faster that sonar goggles so they don't leave you blind. They are pretty much better in every way other than having a shorter range.

Granted, leveling up is easy and just a time-matter thing but still! There has to be better matchmaking!
I do agree that the game is functionally broken. Matchmaking, team balancing, and host migration are all not working properly and are sometimes making it impossible to play the game properly.

Caleb187

Is there a blacklist wiki that explains what each svm upgrade/item does and what it counters/is countered by? There seems to be a rock/paper/scissors system to the upgrades but I'm not sure how some of them work.

For example I've equipped the spy boots that allow you to run more silently, but what merc upgrade does that counter and to what extent? The games own item description doesn't go into detail on this as far as I can tell.

BadTaste

Thank you sir.

I've never had the opportunity but is the merc's melee attack useful?

For example I've equipped the spy boots that allow you to run more silently, but what merc upgrade does that counter and to what extent? The games own item description doesn't go into detail on this as far as I can tell.

You can just take a quick look at the load outs for spys and mercs. The upgrades also mention what they specifically counter against. When the boots say they reduce noise it just means your footstep sounds are quieter, it might not have any direct impact on the motion detector or any other upgrade the mercs have.

Top Bottom