• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

JambiBum

sccheader.jpg

• Developer - Ubisoft Montreal
    [*]Publisher - Ubisoft
    [*]Platforms - Xbox 360, PC
    [*]Release date - 360 US: April 13 UK: April 16 PC April 29

I'll try to update the reviews as they come out. Know that once I get the game though I probably will stop updating them :lol

Reviews

Edge: 8/10
Conviction is in reach of greatness. It's flaws stand out in the short singleplayer campaign, and it's tail end relies too much on the gunplay that the game otherwise relegates to a begrudging last resort. But when it hits it's stride, the enviroments unlock the player's tactical ambitions in a way that's truly empowering, launching you between shadow and light, discretion and aggression. In some ways it's sad to say goodbye to old, subtle Fisher, but as Splinter Cell goes from covert to overt, a new found dynamism emerges, happily driving players to return to it's vicious little sandbox battles, tempting them to obliterate enemies in ever slicker, quicker ways. And that's surely the hallmark of any true conviction: it bears repeating.

IGN: 9.3/10 Link

Game informer 9/10

- Graphics:

The environments are beautifully rendered, and Sam’s animations are killer. Black and White effects are used to freely, resulting in a detachment from the world.

- Sound:
Sam’s gravelly tones are fueled by emotion and backed by a suprisingly score.

- Playability:

I never once had to fuss with the controls. The stealth mechanics are easy to embrace, and the gunplay offers razor-sharp precision.

- Entertainment:

A Satisfying conclusion to Sam Fisher’s tale coupled with one of gaming’s most rewarding co-op experiences.

- Replay Value:

Moderately High.

A demo of the game can be found here

Media
Launch Trailer
Story Trailer
Co op Story trailer
Deniable Ops trailer

The Collector's Edition

The collector's edition will be available in the US on the Xbox 360. It will be priced at $79.99. The following items are ncluded in this edition:

* Two in-game multiplayer items
o MP5-SD3 submachine gun
o Third Echelon player skin
* A custom USB drive compatible with the Xbox 360, containing videos, wallpaper, concept art, storyboards, and several other types of media.

* "Fifth Freedom: The Art of Splinter Cell" - An artbook based on the Splinter Cell series with commentary from the developers.
* Two Xbox 360 decal stickers
* "Digging in the Ashes" - A comic book explaining the events preceding the game.
* Steelbook case

Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Collectors-Edition-Details.jpg

Limited Collector's Edition

The limited collector's edition will be released only in European, Middle Eastern, Asian and Pacific territories, for the XBox 360 on April 15th through April 16th, 2010. And for PC on April 30th, 2010. The items included in this version are different than the US collector's edition and are as follows:

* Four in-game multiplayer items not including the game mode

o MP5 submachine gun
o SC3000 assault rifle

o SR2 SMG pistol
o Shadow Armor player skin
* Infiltration Mode, an exclusive game mode
* A Sam Fisher statuette
* Steelbook case
* Game soundtrack

scc_xbox360_collector_mockup.jpg

Plot Synopsis:
An investigation into his daughter's death unwittingly leads former agent Sam Fisher to discover he's been betrayed by his former agency, the Third Echelon. Now a renegade, Fisher finds himself in a race against time to thwart a deadly terrorist plot that threatens millions.

Key Features:

• Mark and Execute - When dealing with several enemies a player can mark his enemies or a piece of the dynamic environment to take out several enemies at once. The player first must perform a close combat kill in order to obtain the ability to Mark and Execute.

• Last Known Position or LKP - The LKP is a system that shows where the enemy saw you last. You can use this vital information to flank your enemies or avoid them all together

• Persistent Elite Creation or PEC - PEC is the experience system in Splinter Cell Conviction. Everything you do in the game from single player to multiplayer gives you experience points in which you can use to change the appearance of your character and level up your weapons.

• Deniable Ops - Deniable Ops is one of the multiplayer aspects of Conviction. In Deniable Ops there are several different game modes one can play.

Hunter: In Hunter mode you and your partner will traverse through a level while trying to eliminate all of the guards in the area before your time runs out. If you or your partner gets spotted reinforcements are called in making it more difficult to eliminate the OpFor.

Last Stand: Last Stand is Splinter Cell's take on the horde mode game type. In LS you and your partner must work together to defend a valuable piece of intelligence against waves of enemies.
    Face Off: Face off is the lone adversarial mode. Face off pits spy vs spy vs enemy AI. The point of the game is to accumulate more kills than the other spy. You gain points for killing the AI and bonus points if you manage to kill the other spy.

Infiltration: Infiltration is exclusive to the Collector's Edition and by unlocking it using Ubisoft's Uplay system. You could also call Infiltration the hardcore mode. The objective is to work together to eliminate all opposing forces without being detected. If you are detected once it's game over.

• Co op Story mode - Conviction also has it's own co op story which serves as a prequel to the main single player story. It is said that this prequel story will last between 6 and 8 hours

Images

1265973188.jpg

1265973189.jpg

1261110743.jpg

1261110741.jpg

Try and be nice about the thread. It's my first official thread. I know it doesn't look the prettiest but I figure it gets the job done.

MMaRsu

Good thread :). I'll buy the game when it drops in price, too many great games coming out next month to pick this up. Also I'll wait for Splinter Cell Chaos Theory fans here on neogaf to confirm if it's good or not ^^. Imo the demo sucked balls, so much that I redownloaded CT on XBL.

DieH@rd said:

Really? o_O

Splatt

Cautiously optimistic. I loved Chaos Theory (the only SC I completed) but the troubled development this game has had doesn't exactly bring my hopes up.

Also, a big boooo for the crappy PC anti-piracy protection Ubi is using. BOOO!

JambiBum

MMaRsu said:
Good thread :). I'll buy the game when it drops in price, too many great games coming out next month to pick this up. Also I'll wait for Splinter Cell Chaos Theory fans here on neogaf to confirm if it's good or not ^^.

I got to go to one of the launch events here in the states so I got some early hands on time with the Hunter mode. As a CT fan I loved it. It's definitely a lot less run and gun and a lot more stealth than people originally thought. Which is great.

Oh and thanks.

kamspy

Who's the guy on the statue?

Looks like a lumber jack. Does Sam's mission for vengeance take him to the great northern forests?

Mairu

Sanic

I think i'll wait on impressions and reviews. Despite my own feelings with the demo, I remain somewhat optimistic. Nice OP.

frontieruk said:
got the ubi points for the locked co-op mode?

It's only one co-op mode that is locked.

Hopefully there is less complaining in here than in the demo thread. What sucks is that I have this game coming from Amazon on release date but my 360 just got a E74 so it's on its way to MS right now. So I'll have the game, but nothing to play it on when it comes out. :(

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Swittcher said:
I don't recall Sam Fisher ever being referred to as the "panther" in any SC game.

Got an interview coming where they state that was a point of inspiration for Conviction. He may also be a HawkPanther!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh, this came out of nowhere. Kinda forgot about the game. Hoping for some good reviews, defintely interested in this one since I loved Double Agent 360 unlike most folks here =)

frontieruk

CrazedArabMan said:
It's only one co-op mode that is locked.

Hopefully there is less complaining in here than in the demo thread. What sucks is that I have this game coming from Amazon on release date but my 360 just got a E74 so it's on its way to MS right now. So I'll have the game, but nothing to play it on when it comes out. :(

t'is the most interesting of the modes tho' and if you havent hire AC2 it's possible to get enough points from signing up to uplay and finishing the 1st level

JambiBum

frontieruk said:
t'is the most interesting of the modes tho' and if you havent hire AC2 it's possible to get enough points from signing up to uplay and finishing the 1st level

I'm pretty sure most of the Uplay stuff for Conviction comes from the single player. So people can just play some of that until they get enough points. I think it's only like 40 points to unlock anyway.

frontieruk

JambiBum said:
I'm pretty sure most of the Uplay stuff for Conviction comes from the single player. So people can just play some of that until they get enough points. I think it's only like 40 points to unlock anyway.

true I just meant if you wanted it from the start, i forget not everyone is going to ignore the solo mode, the co-op i can treat as a new take on the series

Cep

Banned
I hate when people compare him to Bourne.

Bourne is a nice guy, almost never kills unless he has to.

Sam is more Bauer than anything else.

pr0cs

Purchase depending on how good the co-op portion is. I liked the single player demo but there are so many good games this year and so little money for gaming I need to know if this is something I *need* to play with my friends.

MMaRsu

JambiBum said:
I got to go to one of the launch events here in the states so I got some early hands on time with the Hunter mode. As a CT fan I loved it. It's definitely a lot less run and gun and a lot more stealth than people originally thought. Which is great.

Oh and thanks.

What is this Hunter mode?

StuBurns

Banned
I finally got to play the demo yesterday, I thought it was cool. The GAF hate was pretty surprising in retrospect. I won't be picking it up, but I hope you all enjoy yourselves.

traveler

Not Wario
Is the PC version still slated to have that horrible DRM? If so, this will be the second Ubi game I really wanted to play (AC2 being the other) that I have to pass up. :(

JambiBum

MMaRsu said:
What is this Hunter mode?
It's a deniable ops mode where you and your partner start at the beginning of a level and have to eliminate all of the enemies within the allotted time limit. If you get detected they call for reinforcements which doubles the amount of people you have to kill. Every time you clear a stage you move onto a more difficult area within that level. They add things like cameras and turrets to go on top of the guards. The level we played had at least 4 or 5 different stages within it. No one could beat this one stage so I don't know if there were more after that one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Might get. The demo didn't really sell me but I'm sure it'll still be solid and the co-op mode sounds fun.

jett

D-Member
traveler said:
Is the PC version still slated to have that horrible DRM? If so, this will be the second Ubi game I really wanted to play (AC2 being the other) that I have to pass up. :(

I would be surprised if it didn't.

DieH@rd

Banned
traveler said:

jett said:
I would be surprised if it didn't.

As i recall UBI announced 2 months ago that it will have same DRM as AC2 :-/

Ten-Song

Can't wait to try out the co-op stuff. Already got a few friends that'll pick the game up day one as well as me.

Karram

Did Ubisoft mention if there will be an ingame matchmaking or lobby system ? Because I hope it's not invite only.

kuYuri

Preordered at Amazon. Pretty excited, I hope my buddy also picks it up for coop.

And yes, the PC version will have the new DRM used in AC2.

Top Bottom