• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

I really liked the demo; got my Amazon preorder coming next week.

F2Xcy.gif

Off topic but what show is this? Seen this girl in like 400 avatars.

I was so excited about this game but the demo really turned me off. I will wait for your guys impressions before I jump in this time.

movie_club

I have never played a Splinter Cell game but pretty much since 08 or even 07 I have stopped playing videogames and I have been looking to get back into them. So, I downloaded the SC demo and was left disappointed. I found it extremely easy, but I also just shot everyone and was not very stealthy. Am I playing it wrong? Should I give this game a go?

Lunchbox

Banned
Interfectum said:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hgzmdu.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

ubisoft gives a shit.

what he said was the whole reason behind the new approach. making it more streamlined to get a bigger audience.

people who never played splinter cell before are asking me about when it comes out. i couldnt find anyone to play chaos theory co-op with (didnt have live) now i got 3 friends buying this. but yeah chaos theory was already pretty streamlined with saves anywhere and everything, atleast compared to 1 and pandora tomorrow

Alcander

I think the panther claw/sfx are way overblown here... before the demo I was really disappointed to hear this was in the game, but when I actually started playing I actually forgot to make a note of how bad they are because its hardly noticeable.

The "claw" is more like a flash on the screen which indicates that your M&E gauge has filled... the "growl/roar" doesn't even sound like a panther, just sounds like a generic sound effect to indicate the same thing.

Anyway, definitely not even close to a deal breaker for me, though if it was obviously a claw/roar it could have been..

Even though they changed a lot from Chaos Theory, I liked the demo quite a bit after playing it a few times.

I agree that the panther claw and black and white filter are lame, but still had fun with this. Day 1.

Alcander said:
I think the panther claw/sfx are way overblown here... before the demo I was really disappointed to hear this was in the game, but when I actually started playing I actually forgot to make a note of how bad they are because its hardly noticeable.

The "claw" is more like a flash on the screen which indicates that your M&E gauge has filled... the "growl/roar" doesn't even sound like a panther, just sounds like a generic sound effect to indicate the same thing.

Anyway, definitely not even close to a deal breaker for me, though if it was obviously a claw/roar it could have been..

My thoughts exactly, I had to go back after playing the demo and tried to figure out what people were talking about, and the noise does not sound like growl at all. Some people just blow it out of proportion.

Alcander said:

So you're playing a stealth game. Silently you approach an enemy. You quickly want to kill him without allerting the others.. and at THAT very moment, a bolt of lightning shoots across the screen with a weird ass sound..
it's VERY, EXTREMELY noticable and VERY, EXTREMELY silly.

Double D

Can't wait. Despite some of the odd decisions found in the demo, I'll still be getting this day 1. I can't help but think my thread title would have been better, maybe just because I've been singing this stupid song in my head every time I play Splinter Cell games. Are you ready for this? Okay.

"Don't call me
Grimms
dottir" - The Official Splinter Cell:Conviction Thread

Yeah, drink that in.

Always-honest said:
So you're playing a stealth game. Silently you approach an enemy. You quickly want to kill him without allerting the others.. and at THAT very moment, a bolt of lightning shoots across the screen with a weird ass sound..

wbx8iq.jpg

NG28

Always-honest said:

Across the screen? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only remember it occuring in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Unnecessary yes, but EXTREMELY!@!@! noticeable I think not.

legbone

really looking forward to this. i was disappointed when i found out the ce does not come with a download code for chaos theory from games on demand. when did they drop that from the package? also, what is the size of the usb thumb drive? 1 gb or 2?

JambiBum

The panther claw only happens when you kill a guy to fill your execute meter thingy. If you have that filled you won't get another claw noise no matter how many people you kill. So if youre really against using M&E and the claw you could just get one kill to fill the meter and never use your M&E. Both problems solved that way.

JambiBum said:
The panther claw only happens when you kill a guy to fill your execute meter thingy. If you have that filled you won't get another claw noise no matter how many people you kill. So if youre really against using M&E and the claw you could just get one kill to fill the meter and never use your M&E. Both problems solved that way.

that's good news. didn't know that.

JambiBum

Always-honest said:
that's good news. didn't know that.
The whole claw thing doesn't really bother me at all but I can see why it would bother other people. I tested a bunch of little things when I played the game in Chicago for one of the launch events.

lantus

Always-honest said:

You know, if it weren't for Gaf, I would not have ever even paid attention to that, and now that I do pay attention to it, I still don't care.

Alcander

Always-honest said:
Oh come on...if I didn't read GAF I wouldn't even have noticed the stupid thing. I just think of it as a sfx to let you know your M&E gauge filled, you seem to be considering it as an effect that can be heard within the game world. It might be unnecessary but its hardly EXTREMELY noticeable. sheesh

Alcander said:
Oh come on...if I didn't read GAF I wouldn't even have noticed the stupid thing. I just think of it as a sfx to let you know your M&E gauge filled, you seem to be considering it as an effect that can be heard within the game world. It might be unnecessary but its hardly EXTREMELY noticeable. sheesh
it depends ont he person i guess. i think it's really (really) distracting. i noticed it instantly because it grabbed my attention and at first i didn't know what the hell it was. when it happened again, it began to irritate me. sorry, just me i guess :p

It will never ruin the game for me, but i think it's a stupid decision they made. there is just no reason for it. at all.

i'm glad to read that if you don't use the auto-multi kill it will nver happen again.

JambiBum

If there is anything anyone wants to know about the deniable ops mode I will do my best to answer them. It's the only mode that I got substantial time with.

DrBo42

JambiBum said:
If there is anything anyone wants to know about the deniable ops mode I will do my best to answer them. It's the only mode that I got substantial time with.
Did you play every mode? Which did you find worked best? Can you mark and execute the enemy spy in Face Off?

heringer

JambiBum said:
How awesome is it?

Alcander

Always-honest said:
it depends ont he person i guess. i think it's really (really) distracting. i noticed it instantly because it grabbed my attention and at first i didn't know what the hell it was. when it happened again, it began to irritate me. sorry, just me i guess :p

It will never ruin the game for me, but i think it's a stupid decision they made. there is just no reason for it. at all.

i'm glad to read that if you don't use the auto-multi kill it will nver happen again.
Fair enough :)

JambiBum

DrBo42 said:
Did you play every mode? Which did you find worked best? Can you mark and execute the enemy spy in Face Off?

We only got to play Hunter mode. Should have been more specific sorry. But I asked the representative that brought the game and you can't M&E the spy in face off. Hunter works really well though. Takes a lot of teamwork.

heringer said:
How awesome is it?

Pretty damn awesome as long as you don't get a partner that isn't a moron and just runs out and gets killed trying to be a badass.

Just played through the demo for the second time and I find several alternate paths and other cool kills to do instead of the route I took the first time I played through. I've always found little stuff like that interesting in the Splinter Cell games. Thinking of trading in God of War 3 and picking this up. Still a bit cautious though...Looking forward to seeing what reviews say.

DrBo42

I don't really see this one tanking in terms of review opinions/scores, especially with the added value of the coop modes.

DrBo42 said:
I don't really see this one tanking in terms of review opinions/scores, especially with the added value of the coop modes.

The game has a new more action-packed direction, no Spies vs Mercs, the graphics aren't as impressive as previous games, the black and white filter is annoying and some of the voice acting seems questionable. I'm not saying it's going to be a bad game, I'm VERY interested in it, I'm liking the demo and am leaning toward picking it up. I could see some negative reviews coming though for mentions I listed above based solely on the demo if they apply to the full/final game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
not going to risk day one-ing this one.

BigBoss

So my 360 just died again after downloading the new update(thanks MS) and I have a free month for Xbox live code, first person to reply gets it.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Any reviews yet? Does it live up to the hype?

Never played a Splinter Cell game but my friend just lent me three of them. Which should I try first?

Dogenzaka said:
Never played a Splinter Cell game but my friend just lent me three of them. Which should I try first?

Honestly I would just play Chaos Theory. You could play Double Agent as well if you want to be up to date on the storyline going into Conviction. I haven't seen any reviews for it yet. There's probably a review embargo.

JambiBum

D23 said:
still not sure if i should get this game or not.. afraid its gonna be too short

Co op campaign is said to be between 6-8 hours on normal plus the single player which is supposed to be 8-10 on normal. That's a hell of a lot better than most non rpg games nowadays.

Jb

TheVisualizer said:
off topic a bit, but how does Chaos Theory play on 360, any glaring emulation problems?

I bought Chaos Theory from Games on demand and completed it a few weeks ago. Didn't run into any noticeable glitches or frame drops. I assume the disc based version also runs well on 360.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Can't make up my mind on this one. I really like Splinter Cell, but I would be getting the assfucked PC version...

JambiBum said:
Co op campaign is said to be between 6-8 hours on normal plus the single player which is supposed to be 8-10 on normal. That's a hell of a lot better than most non rpg games nowadays.
great. the co-op part of this game seems really well done. can't wait for some in depth reviews.

JambiBum

Always-honest said:
great. the co-op part of this game seems really well done. can't wait for some in depth reviews.
The co op is one of the best parts of the series. It works really well. If you haven't tried the co op in Chaos Theory you really need to.

JambiBum said:
The co op is one of the best parts of the series. It works really well. If you haven't tried the co op in Chaos Theory you really need to.
no never played it. will look for it second hand. thanx.

Top Bottom