• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

frontieruk

just a quick mention for UKGAF 800 Alard bucks with conviction from HMV, offer valid till the 30th or till stocks run out.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Hmmm, odd with Amazon in that it is telling me for one day shipping (since it was ordered after 4pm today) the estimated time of arrival will be the 15th. Since the game is coming out tomorrow, wouldn't one day shipping be the 14th?

BobDylan

I have been playing the game for about a week.
I am a campus representative for Ubisoft so they sent me a bunch of copies for the launch party I am hosting.

The game is pretty good from what I have played so far. I was a big fan of chaos theory and I would say that this game is right up there with it.

DrBo42

SephirothRK said:
I wonder what kind of free content that will be release every Thursday.

I can't imagine they will release anything even remotely substantial for free. Probably shitty gamer pics.

Man, I love Deniable Ops. I just can't get enough of it.

Just for interests sake, I went back to Double Agent to take a look at the old "next gen" engine in comparison with Conviction.That game definitely holds up quite well and has, without question, a much different engine. It looks a lot more like a higher res Chaos Theory but also has a pretty sluggish frame-rate as well. It feels so much slower after playing the new game which isn't a bad thing, only different.

I have to say, I applaud Ubisoft for having the balls to seemingly scrap what was already a great looking engine and start fresh. They went away from fans' expectations to introduce something which could be met with a lot of criticism. Pretty gutsy.

I actually am really excited to pick up this game. This is one of those games I have zero expectations for. The only SC game I've played was the first. The only problem I had was the lack of a compelling story. I'm all for a Bourne/Taken storyline. I just hope the stpid EMP's in D.C. doesn't get in the way.

Lunchbox

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Also, GameStop will give you OG Splinter Cell for free with the game. Gamer's Gate will let you choose between OG SC and Chaos Theory with a pre-order.

this isnt in the US right? cause i cant find anything on their site

Chrange

Banned
52kio0.jpg

Hardcore interrogation tactic :lol

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
OMG
5 hours
really????

I dont really care how repayable it is. This just became a rental.

Lunchbox

Banned
Router said:
OMG
5 hours
really????

I dont really care how repayable it is. This just became a rental.

its actually 2 hours, 3 hours of just cutscenes. why even rent. just watch it on youtube or something

JambiBum

Lunchbox said:
its actually 2 hours, 3 hours of just cutscenes. why even rent. just watch it on youtube or something
:lol :lol I love you LB.

On a side note. I've already put 3 1/2 hours into it and that's just the co op campaign. Only halfway done with that. So figure at least another 3 1/2 to make a total of 7 just for co op.

ElyrionX

I'm not sure what to think of the 5-hour campaign. On the one hand, I'm getting tired of single-player campaigns that go on and on (except in the case of an RPG, of course) but then again, spending this kind of money, I do expect more bang for my buck. Hmmmmm....

_Xenon_

Banned
How is the replay value of the game (assuming I can't find a buddy for the coop missions)? If the game is really 5 hours long then I doubt it's worth full price for me ...

ElyrionX said:
I'm not sure what to think of the 5-hour campaign. On the one hand, I'm getting tired of single-player campaigns that go on and on (except in the case of an RPG, of course) but then again, spending this kind of money, I do expect more bang for my buck. Hmmmmm....
i'm pretty sure the co-op is amazing. that aslo takes time to make. but if you don't want to play co-op you might want to rent.

Pooya

Gamespot 8/10
video review
The Good

* Executions are a total rush
* Superb storytelling gets you into Sam's head
* Great soundtrack keeps you immersed
* Cooperative play is a blast.

The Bad

* Brief campaign doesn't offer much challenge
* Interrogations are a missed opportunity
* Stealth options are stripped down compared to previous games.
I think it's the best review out there right now.
The most disappointing aspect of the presentation, however, is that the cinematics are overly compressed and suffer from distracting dips in the frame rate when the camera pans across the environment.
BINK? smh

Kevin VanOrd said:
Sam's newest adventure doesn't offer the challenge you may be expecting, and recent stealth-action hybrids like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Batman: Arkham Asylum provide much more satisfying single-player experiences. Yet stellar storytelling, fantastic co-op play, and rewarding executions make Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction a legitimately great game that delivers frequent surges of excitement. Between the brief thrills of freeing your partner from a chokehold and the sharp adrenaline rush of a bloody execution, Conviction will leave a mark on your memory.
there is good info on the co-op/multiplayer in there.

Lunchbox said:

:lol

Will be picking up the game tomorrow.

I am really surprised that this game has a lot less hype than I thought it was going to have. Guess the demo really put everyone down. Game is already released midnight at some stores, and the rest will selling today, but only 500 posts in the thread?

DrBo42

I've watched the entire campaign via stream and I really don't think anyone is going to be disappointed. It looks like a hell of a ride, even if you are someone who feels like they're being dragged kicking and screaming away from the old gameplay style.

Ephemeris

The Good

* Executions are a total rush
* Superb storytelling gets you into Sam's head
* Great soundtrack keeps you immersed
* Cooperative play is a blast.

The Bad

* Brief campaign doesn't offer much challenge
* Interrogations are a missed opportunity
* Stealth options are stripped down compared to previous games.

Pretty spot on.

And they should only offer one difficulty in the game. Realistic.

edit: And man did I get an [awesome] 24 vibe from the game.

HiResDes

miladesn said:
Gamespot 8/10
video review

I think it's the best review out there right now.

BINK? smh

there is good info on the co-op/multiplayer in there.
As an OG Gamespotter I'm hyped to see KV still consistently churning out well-written reviews. I think he may be one of the most under appreciated reviewers in the industry, though the Kane & Lynch fiasco surely didn't help his cause.

HiResDes

miladesn said:
Kevin Vanord always has good video reviews.
Not only that, but when I was there he was very active in the community...He always responded to questions about his reviews fairly promptly and usually pretty directly as well.

Ephemeris

I too felt like the game wanted you to kill everything, but if you really pay attention to how the stages are designed, there's plenty of times where you could sneak/avoid confrontation.

Getting through
white box
undetected? shieeeet. Good times, discovering the ways. This is what the Bourne game should have been.

MacBosse

DrBo42 said:
I've watched the entire campaign via stream and I really don't think anyone is going to be disappointed. It looks like a hell of a ride, even if you are someone who feels like they're being dragged kicking and screaming away from the old gameplay style.

I cant believe anyone who is planning on playing the game really sits trough the whole experience trough a video stream ... way to ruin the game for oneself.

Well to each his own I guess.

Just got a call from my local gameshop where I always pick up my games.
Collectors Edition is ready for me to pick up, but I have to go to work in 2 hours so I'll pick it up tomorrow :D

kaskade

I'm glad to see the game getting such high scores. The fact that I got the game for 37 bucks makes it all the better.

Ephemeris said:
Getting through
white box
undetected? shieeeet. Good times, discovering the ways. This is what the Bourne game should have been.

Prob my favorite level so far. I restarted the upstairs checkpoint in that level maybe 15 times, just so I could try to do it perfectly without being detected and without killing, and I was able to do it (on realistic, nonetheless). Creative use of gadgets is KEY.

I just passed
third echelon HQ
which was pretty challenging. I had to down at least a few guards.
It's a bit disappointing that you have to kill enemy Splinter Cells, as they also have sonar goggles

My big Splinter Cell gripe:
Third Echelon was always conveyed as this ultimate top secret organization run by small team of ex-military ex-cia diehard spies, but in this game, they have tons and tons of trigger happy henchmen and security guards. Where did these dudes come from? It's a divisive, 'different' Third Echelon for this game. If some of these people were former colleagues of fisher, and he used to be a 'company man' as the game describes, why is it so easy for him to kill them?

JambiBum

Phloxy said:
Is the uplay store just not up yet? Can't seem to access any of the stuff to unlock.

It's up. Don't go to the store part of uplay. Scroll to the left and hit the actions and rewards area.

heringer

I can see why the game won't score as high as Chaos Theory. Some fans might be pissed with some decisions.

I always liked Splinter Cell, but to me Conviction is the best entry. The cleverly designed levels make the set pieces more thrilling and fun. The gameplay is clearly a step up. You can flank enemies in a breeze. The overall pacing is much better to me.

So yeah, it's definitely a different beast. It's not as slow and methodical as past entries as it is instinctual and visceral.

Top Bottom