• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Lunchbox

Banned
can someone explain who this grim chick is?

played 1, chaos and double agent........dont remember her. was she in pandora tomorrow?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lunchbox said:

played 1, chaos and double agent........dont remember her. was she in pandora tomorrow?
Grimsdottir? She used to work with Sam over the radio helping him out with tech and gadgets.

MMaRsu

Lunchbox said:

You must not have paid much attention huh? :p

Lunchbox said:

Anna grimsdotter (sp?)

she was lamberts #2 in the previous games and i think appears in all the sc games.

She was always ribbing on Sam for being old.

So, finished the campaign - around 10 hours completion time on normal.

I had a ball with this game and I think you guys will too. As soon as I mess around with deniable ops - I'm playing it through again. This is one game that I can see myself enjoying time and time again.

Sanic

Impressions are good and I wanna play this, but i'm worried i'm gonna blow through it (so not worth $60) and I have too many other games to play already :/ I'll watch this thread with envy...

eshwaaz

CloakedPuppet said:
So, finished the campaign - around 10 hours completion time on normal.

I had a ball with this game and I think you guys will too. As soon as I mess around with deniable ops - I'm playing it through again. This is one game that I can see myself enjoying time and time again.

:D You made my night. I hope my experience is closer to yours than Hilary's 5 hour campaign. I can't even imagine how the playtimes are so drastically different.

eshwaaz said:
:D You made my night. I hope my experience is closer to yours than Hilary's 5 hour campaign. I can't even imagine how the playtimes are so drastically different.

Yeah - either I suck or he's a savant - or both. :lol

Seriously though and like I said, I can't see how someone could finish the campaign in 5 hours the first time through.

Also, I need to add that HOLY CRAP - Deniable Ops is awesome!!! I just dabbled with it a couple of nights ago and didn't know how substantial it is. The maps are HUGE. I've been playing one map on infiltration mode for around an hour and still wasn't able to get all the way through it. It's crazy addictive. I'm assuming that each area has about a half a dozen zones that you need to 'clean out' before you move onto the next. More enemies are added if you attract attention (not using stealth takedowns) making the zone more difficult. Given that there are 6 maps, I guess you can tack on at least another 3 to 6 hours for me in trying to get through them on normal.

Each map can be played in 2 different modes, the other being more of a 'horde' mode that has you protecting a target area. I haven't tried that yet but will tomorrow night. Add yet another chunk of time for that game type.

Like the IGN review mentioned - there is a lot of game here besides the campaign for single players. I haven't touched co-op yet.

AMUSIX

SketchTheArtist said:
Not really. There are instances where the requires you to kill enemies but they're pretty rare.

Just like in Chaos Theory where you had to kill the revolution leader on the boat. The game forced you to kill him, even when you did a non-lethal takedown, it played the animation for the lethal one but didn't count as one.
I really, really want you to be true here, but, honestly, I am NOT seeing this in the game. As has been mentioned, the first level requires you to kill a half dozen body guards before you're allowed to even grab your target. But I'm willing to chalk that up to an 'end of level.' Heck, even in Iraq, there's no way past the first two enemies without killing them, but, again, I'm willing to chalk that up to level design, as stealth is not what's happening.

I'm more interested in you explaining how to handle the first three lackeys at the beginning of level 2. The ones around the C4. Show me how to get the C4 and get into the warehouse without killing them or being detected, and I'll joyously go back and replay every level so far. You've repeated your position a few times to people who have been playing the game...are you playing it that differently from them? Do you have some affiliation with the game that would give you more knowledge of what is possible? I am sincerely hoping that the answer is yes. I WANT this to be a Splinter Cell game, but, as a friend of mine so accurately put it, it feels much more like a 3rd person spin-off of the Rainbow Six series.

AMUSIX said:
I really, really want you to be true here, but, honestly, I am NOT seeing this in the game. As has been mentioned, the first level requires you to kill a half dozen body guards before you're allowed to even grab your target. But I'm willing to chalk that up to an 'end of level.' Heck, even in Iraq, there's no way past the first two enemies without killing them, but, again, I'm willing to chalk that up to level design, as stealth is not what's happening.

I'm more interested in you explaining how to handle the first three lackeys at the beginning of level 2. The ones around the C4. Show me how to get the C4 and get into the warehouse without killing them or being detected, and I'll joyously go back and replay every level so far. You've repeated your position a few times to people who have been playing the game...are you playing it that differently from them? Do you have some affiliation with the game that would give you more knowledge of what is possible? I am sincerely hoping that the answer is yes. I WANT this to be a Splinter Cell game, but, as a friend of mine so accurately put it, it feels much more like a 3rd person spin-off of the Rainbow Six series.

you can't. You're unable to shoot the light hanging above them, plus you don't have any of the gadgets yet that draw them away.

AMUSIX

SuperAwesome said:
you can't. You're unable to shoot the light hanging above them, plus you don't have any of the gadgets yet that draw them away.
That's what I thought...

Rainbow Six: Conviction, it is....oh well. Still a damn good game, and I'm still enjoying it very much.

Someone earlier asked where it falls in the SC line. Right now, I'd rank them as follows:
Chaos Theory
Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell = Double Agent

And Conviction probably falls just below Pandora Tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'd put it fully above SC and DA yet. Bear in mind that I didn't have the hate for DA that a lot of people had.

Lunchbox

Banned
list wars ! list wars !

1. Chaos Theory
2. Conviction
3. splintercell1
4. DA

didnt play pandora

Conviction, best multiplayer in the series. deniable ops > spies/merch

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
CloakedPuppet said:
Like the IGN review mentioned - there is a lot of game here besides the campaign for single players. I haven't touched co-op yet.

You have, just not with a second player. Deniable Ops primarily uses the co-op maps.

Lunchbox said:
list wars ! list wars !

1. Chaos Theory
2. Conviction
3. splintercell1
4. DA

didnt play pandora

I like your list!

AMUSIX

Lunchbox said:
list wars ! list wars !

1. Chaos Theory
2. Conviction
3. splintercell1
4. DA

didnt play pandora

I've got to play some multi, as it sounds like it might be the thing that would turn this game around...unfortunately, the more I play of single in conviction, the lower it drops on my list. At this point, as a Splinter Cell game, it is below Double Agent for me. I absolutely hate that I keep coming back in here with a more negative view, but I'm just hoping someone will point out that I'm mistaken.

The last thing that happened, the thing that made me put the controller down and take a break, was ridiculous. My objective was inside a small unfurnished room, with only a windowless door out to the hall where I was. Along with my objective were three guards. They weren't patrolling, they weren't expecting me (in fact, story-wise, noone in the entire facility should have any idea that I'd be coming) they were just standing there. The one door I can go through had a light above it. So I backed up a ways, pulled out a silenced pistol, and shot the bulb out. Instantly, the three guys inside the still-lit room bust out their flashlights and start doing their alert patrol, complete with "I know you're out there, Fisher!" taunts. Not a single one opened the door and came out.

I know the AI is laughable in that they won't notice anything happening just out of their FOV, but it seems as if they really have only two states, at ease and alert. There is no longer the investigative state that I'm used to using to my advantage.

AMUSIX

Always-honest said:
thank you. that's what i want!!.

though i'd rather play a new rainbow six, this game will fill my needs for a while.
Good response...truly. I don't want to give the impression that it's a bad game (despite some shitty AI) it's just a bad Splinter Cell, and I keep wanting it to be a good one. When I shut that off, when I just decide to play it like Rainbow, then it really does work beautifully. I'm just stubborn and every new level I attempt to play Splinter Cell again. :D

Lunchbox

Banned
AMUSIX said:
I absolutely hate that I keep coming back in here with a more negative view, but I'm just hoping someone will point out that I'm mistaken.

get this ".....but as a 'splinter cell' game, i dont know man" mentality out and have fun for what the game actually is. you want this game to be something its not. its not chaos theory+, its something new, which is pretty cool. some people did this with mgs3's (subsistence) free camera. "its not 'metal gear' without the outdated fixed camera"......move on. games change, they take new approaches etc. etc.

play that infiltration mode on deniable ops. which the closest youll get to old splinter cells where you have to take out all guys without getting detected/setting off any alerts

AMUSIX

Lunchbox said:
get this ".....but as a 'splinter cell' game, i dont know man" mentality out and have fun for what the game actually is. you want this game to be something its not. its not chaos theory+, its something new, which is pretty cool. some people did this with mgs3's (subsistence) free camera. "its not 'metal gear' without the outdated fixed camera"......move on. games change, they take new approaches etc. etc.

play that infiltration mode on deniable ops. which the closest youll get to old splinter cells where you have to take out all guys without getting detected/setting off any alerts
You're right. But I think this is more than a switch to a free camera, it's a complete shift in focus for the series. I'd say it's closer to the change Need For Speed went through from being the supercar/track racer of the first six games to the street tuner/open city racer of Underground.

edit: for the record, I liked NFS both before and after the shift

AMUSIX said:
Good response...truly. I don't want to give the impression that it's a bad game (despite some shitty AI) it's just a bad Splinter Cell, and I keep wanting it to be a good one. When I shut that off, when I just decide to play it like Rainbow, then it really does work beautifully. I'm just stubborn and every new level I attempt to play Splinter Cell again. :D
well, i'm pretty sure you can play this more stealthy than Rainbow 6. In rainbow six you have to kill 'm all (basicly). And i like how you can use the environment to your advantage in this SC.

looks like a great game (minus the auto kills and the claw). but i guess a patiently executed zero kill playthrough is out of the question in this one

Lunchbox said:

I totally agree. Infiltration mode is really the closest you're going to get to the Splinter Cells of old. The campaign is a new animal - like it or not - the fact is that a ton of fun is waiting for folks.

Chrange

Banned
Wow - just finished
holding out against wave after wave of bad guys in Washington, after a fun little chase. Shot out lights or windows to distract bad guys, jumped out windows when the search came too close, climbed to the second story to avoid being caught by guys coming around the corner. Just an AWESOME sequence. I could have just blasted them I suppose, but this was way more fun.

Chrange said:
Wow - just finished
holding out against wave after wave of bad guys in Washington, after a fun little chase. Shot out lights or windows to distract bad guys, jumped out windows when the search came too close, climbed to the second story to avoid being caught by guys coming around the corner. Just an AWESOME sequence. I could have just blasted them I suppose, but this was way more fun.

Yep - that's the way it should be played. :)

TimmiT

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but should I play some of the other Splinter Cell games before I play Conviction?

God damnit.

Just ordered the shit. FUCK. Got it for 45...but still. Wasn't going to get it for another month but most early impressions have been positve. So for anyone keeping track thats pre-ordered...cancelled...pre-ordered...cancelled...and then finally pre-ordered again. This time for good. I think...

My trend of getting every single SC game on launch day continues...

TheLegendary said:
God damnit.

Just ordered the shit. FUCK. Got it for 45...but still. Wasn't going to get it for another month but most early impressions have been positve. So for anyone keeping track thats pre-ordered...cancelled...pre-ordered...cancelled...and then finally pre-ordered again. This time for good. I think...

My trend of getting every single SC game on launch day continues...
Where did you find it for that cheap if you don't mind me asking?

A friend got the game early and I was watching him play for a bit, and I just wanted to say the coolest part of the game is when they bust out this one dj shadow tune, it fit in pretty damn good and im a huge shadow fan, need to go buy this game.

GhostRidah said:
A friend got the game early and I was watching him play for a bit, and I just wanted to say the coolest part of the game is when they bust out this one dj shadow tune, it fit in pretty damn good and im a huge shadow fan, need to go buy this game.

Word son!

Dont tell which song... Want surprises.

DrBo42

I can't get over how bad some of the people are that are streaming the game. I really think this is/will be the first Splinter Cell for a large amount of gamers, and that makes me a little sad for some reason.

MMaRsu

44 euro's at mediamarkt.. hmm I might pick this up after all. Impressions have been positive so far. Still, I might wait a bit.

S1kkZ

MMaRsu said:
44 euro's at mediamarkt.. hmm I might pick this up after all. Impressions have been positive so far. Still, I might wait a bit.
what? where are you from? is this only for the pc version?

MMaRsu

S1kkZ said:
what? where are you from? is this only for the pc version?

Netherlands! They have this banner on their site that takes you to a part of the website where it's an discount because it's only 50 days away till the world cup 2010, and that's why they have 50 items on discount. 360 version!

S1kkZ

MMaRsu said:
Netherlands! They have this banner on their site that takes you to a part of the website where it's an discount because it's only 50 days away till the world cup 2010, and that's why they have 50 items on discount. 360 version!
damn! i hope the german markets do the same.

AMUSIX said:

Hold on, I'm pretty sure I walked past the first dudes in the
Iraq
level without alerting them. I think I got past the first 3 groups without any fighting.
Only in the major fight near the end did I say screw it and just went guns blazing.

MMaRsu

Always-honest said:
wuuut.. mediamarkt here i come.

wbx8iq.jpg

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Always-honest said:
thank you. that's what i want!!.

though i'd rather play a new rainbow six, this game will fill my needs for a while.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants a new Rainbow Six game. R6:V is still my favorite game this generation.

koshunter said:
Hold on, I'm pretty sure I walked past the first dudes in the Iraq level without alerting them. I think I got past the first 3 groups without any fighting.
Only in the major fight near the end did I say screw it and just went guns blazing.

You're a dick.

Loxley

koshunter said:
Hold on, I'm pretty sure I walked past the first dudes in the Iraq level without alerting them. I think I got past the first 3 groups without any fighting.

Spoiler that shit bitte ><

Top Bottom