• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Sanic

burgerdog said:
Er, but if we don't update we can't play online coop. Updating!

Well, when you go to play singleplayer, remove the patch. Don't just ignore what everyone's labeling as a major issue :p

Amneisac

I still don't really understand how things like this happen. This seems to be happening to pretty much everyone given my experience with it so far.

Sanic

Repost for new page:

Any stores selling this for less than $60? Not interested in ordering anything online.

I...may get this afterall. I REALLY don't want to...but....so tempting :lol

Amneisac said:
I still don't really understand how things like this happen. This seems to be happening to pretty much everyone given my experience with it so far.

I know what you mean. UbiMon is getting sloppy or some shit. QA needs an overhaul at Ubisoft. My copy should be here any minute. I was really hoping to play some co-op but if the patch is fucking shit up I'll just wait it out.

Also, did I mistake hearing the Gamespot vid reviewer say that this game was built on a "modified" U2 engine? Why U2?

Kinda has me wondering if I should have sucked it up [DRM] and bought the PC version...

Soulstar

MrCompletely said:
looks like the release day update is causing massive freezing problems for many people.
DON"T UPDATE YOUR GAME YET

So that's why I can't get past this fucking Weapon stash. Deleting patch now.

JambiBum said:
I don't have a freezing issue. Maybe that's because I played the part of SP it freezes at before the patch lol.

This is interesting. Any word on freezes after updating post-1st weapons cache section? Does it work?

Amneisac

This makes two HUGE releases from major developers / publishers having major problems for me recently:

Splinter Cell: Conviction
Battlefield Bad Company 2

There is seriously no excuse for a game being pushed out by studios of this pedigree to have a game-breaking bug in it.

Absinthe

So, according to what I've read if I don't plan on doing the co-op missions because my buddy can't buy the game I should just rent it?

here you go

Multiple day-one purchasers of Splinter Cell: Conviction are seeing the game freeze on its second level and at other moments. Publisher Ubisoft tells Kotaku the issue is being investigated. Please note: There is a temporary fix.

The freeze has been reported by Xbox 360 players who have been playing the game with an Xbox Live connection. They reach the game's second level and it freezes. (The example above is from Kotaku reader SanjiX).

Some of those players, according to comments published under Kotaku's review of Splinter Cell Conviction, say that clearing their 360's harddrive cache and then re-booting their 360, with Xbox Live disconnected, allows them to bypass the freeze.

On the official Ubisoft forums, a member of the company's tech support team walked through the steps to apply that temporary fix:

Steps to clear the system cache below.

1. Load to the Xbox 360 dashboard
2. Choose "System Settings"
3. Choose "Memory"
4. Highlight your hard drive
5. Press "y" for device options
6. from here just choose to clear system cache

Ubisoft does not have a long-term fix ready for gamers yet, but a company spokesperson told Kotaku "We are aware and looking into it."

At this point, the freeze seems to be related to a day-one patch issued for Conviction. That patch, according to an earlier conversation between Ubisoft and Kotaku, corrects a system-freezing problem I and fellow games reporter Russ Frushtick of MTV Multiplayer encountered while playing the game's co-op campaign together. As noted in my review, a frenzied moment late in the co-op campaign triggered an unusual alert message that indicated that the consoles we were playing on were running out of available memory (4 MB left, 3 MB left, etc.). Frushtick and I had been playing a review copy of the game on special "debug" Xbox 360s and could not be certain the issue would be relevant to store-bought copies of the game played on regular Xbox 360s. But Ubisoft indicated that the problem warranted the title update that is automatically applied to the game when a person puts Conviction into an Xbox Live-connected 360 today.

Jesse Jane said:
yah looks like it.

Cool. I do wanna try co-op, but not until I beat the single-player. After tonight I actually won't be able to play again until Sunday, so hopefully they get this shit figured out by then. Sucks, that's for sure.

freezing that requires you to play offline and broken CE content... ubisoft should have used the last delay to actually polish the fucking game like they claimed.

styl3s

Are they planning on replacing the USB? also how the hell do you even use it? i popped the thing out of the card and there is no way in hell that is fitting in my usb slot on my laptop or pc it just wont fit :lol

Sanic

MortalMonkey said:
From what I've gleaned in reading various articles, sounds like not all are faulty, but most are. You're essentially entering a lottery.

Seriously? How does that happen :lol

I don't really know anything about the CE so if there is some legit excuse for this happening, my apologies. But I doubt it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Jesse Jane said:
here you go
The patch corrects a system freezing problem in co-op mode but if you download the patch, it will then freeze in single-player story mode on the second level? WTF?

frontieruk

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Is this just for preorders/online orders or in-store too?

Advert I saw didnt say anything about preorder or online only, I took it to be walking into the store...

heringer said:
I can see why the game won't score as high as Chaos Theory. Some fans might be pissed with some decisions.

I always liked Splinter Cell, but to me Conviction is the best entry. The cleverly designed levels make the set pieces more thrilling and fun. The gameplay is clearly a step up. You can flank enemies in a breeze. The overall pacing is much better to me.

So yeah, it's definitely a different beast. It's not as slow and methodical as past entries as it is instinctual and visceral.

But the new style you may as well go play Uncharted:- prettier, as fluid, no M&E, same sort of cover system, forced set pieces and no B&W filter only real difference is it doesnt claim to be stealth thus the set peices aren't set up to give the player an obvious advantage.

spindoc said:
I'm sad about the new direction(I hate it), but I'm glad the franchise has a good chance to grow. Maybe it'll trigger a new wave of stealth games into the market! /wishful thinking

I don't hate it, I just don't see it fitting in the Splintercell ethos, if anything I see it as promoting the misconception that Americans are gun happy thugs when dealing with problems (I'm assuming the co-op is the same play style) ie blast anything that is causing you an issue, the previous games gave the impression that you were always at risk and always made you feel being covert was the easiest solution, I see myself playing this as a gears style game, move >> shooting set piece >> move , the stealth element basically being the gears cover system and some climbing :( Stealth as we knew it is gone for this franchise, we made it a success by buying something that was different, but obviously the level of sales was not enough so they've gone to a by the numbers action game :(

frontieruk said:
I don't hate it, I just don't see it fitting in the Splintercell ethos, if anything I see it as promoting the misconception that Americans are gun happy thugs when dealing with problems (I'm assuming the co-op is the same play style) ie blast anything that is causing you an issue, the previous games gave the impression that you were always at risk and always made you feel being covert was the easiest solution, I see myself playing this as a gears style game, move >> shooting set piece >> move , the stealth element basically being the gears cover system and some climbing :( Stealth as we knew it is gone for this franchise, we made it a success by buying something that was different, but obviously the level of sales was not enough so they've gone to a by the numbers action game :(

I figured that Ubisoft were simply tapping into the '24' Jack Bauer fanbase.

Ricker

Ok so I guess i`m not the only one?? game froze 3 times now,at the exact same place for me,right after the first weapon stash in the first level...jesus,i`m having enough problems already with this game on normal hehe...well I know what to do by heart now...

Cypher

I picked up a copy of the CE at Best Buy and I got a defective copy of the USB thumb drive.

It's defective in the sense that whatever host USB slot you insert it in (PC, Xbox 360, etc.), it simply won't be recognized.

And the CE didn't have the "Digging in the Ashes" comic book. (But it did contain the Best Buy exclusive SC3000 Assault Rifle code).

Fuck!

frontieruk

Chriswok said:
I figured that Ubisoft were simply tapping into the '24' Jack Bauer fanbase.

isnt that the we solve all our problems by shooting everyone way? Not watched 24 for a long while but seem to remember lots of shooting of bad guys who usually weren't American. Just saying...

frontieruk said:
I don't hate it, I just don't see it fitting in the Splintercell ethos, if anything I see it as promoting the misconception that Americans are gun happy thugs when dealing with problems (I'm assuming the co-op is the same play style) ie blast anything that is causing you an issue, the previous games gave the impression that you were always at risk and always made you feel being covert was the easiest solution, I see myself playing this as a gears style game, move >> shooting set piece >> move , the stealth element basically being the gears cover system and some climbing :( Stealth as we knew it is gone for this franchise, we made it a success by buying something that was different, but obviously the level of sales was not enough so they've gone to a by the numbers action game

if you read some reviews and impressions from gaf the majority think the stealth is still intact and works well with the mark and execute feature. why would you play this game like gears? sounds like you're still upset over the direction the series has taken but i think it's time to accept it or move on. it sounds like a great game regardless and although I understand some fans are disappointed, i personally like all the changes and action-stealth focus.

Ricker

MrCompletely said:
looks like the release day update is causing massive freezing problems for many people.
DON"T UPDATE YOUR GAME YET

Too late for me,damn can`t play now it will freeze again at the same place...this warning should be added to the thead title...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ricker said:
Too late for me,damn can`t play now it will freeze again at the same place...this warning should be added to the thead title...
As mentioned in the link I provided above, Ubisoft is asking Microsoft to remove the patch to prevent people from downloading it. By later today, the patch will probably become unavailable for the time being.

Amneisac said:
This makes two HUGE releases from major developers / publishers having major problems for me recently:

Splinter Cell: Conviction
Battlefield Bad Company 2

There is seriously no excuse for a game being pushed out by studios of this pedigree to have a game-breaking bug in it.

What was game breaking for BFBC2? I got that before release and had 0 problems ever in that game.

This one was a release day patched, I've had SC:C since Friday and haven't had a single problem.

JambiBum

I haven't had any problems with the game at all. Except for the fact that my USB stick won't get recognized by anything. But I really don't mind too much in that regard.

JWong

Banned
MrCompletely said:
What was game breaking for BFBC2? I got that before release and had 0 problems ever in that game.

This one was a release day patched, I've had SC:C since Friday and haven't had a single problem.
Wasn't it that ticket dropping problem that was on the thread title for a bit?

MrLobo

If you downloaded the Title Update, just play offline and the freeze goes away.
Disconnect your ethernet cable or something and the game will work.

Also coop/deniable ops is not affected by this.

Top Bottom