• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
took close to 6 hrs to beat the story. Not sure if I would revisit, outside of realistic difficulty and achievements.

multiplayer is a different story.

DrBo42 said:

Just from watching like 2 minutes of that, I just got super hyped like no other vid of this has done before. I absolutely LOVE co-op stealth situations.

Has DLC been confirmed for this? Despite the lack of a team based adversarial mode, I could see these Deniable Ops modes lasting for while with new maps being introduced through DLC packs.

DrBo42

Net_Wrecker said:
Just from watching like 2 minutes of that, I just got super hyped like no other vid of this has done before. I absolutely LOVE co-op stealth situations.

Has DLC been confirmed for this? Despite the lack of a team based adversarial mode, I could see these Deniable Ops modes lasting for while with new maps being introduced through DLC packs.

I would absolutely pay for new co-op campaigns or a sizeable map pack for deniable ops.

AMUSIX

Nightshade1765 said:
Both his post, and the post he quoted have that in it. Yikes.
heck, it's been mentioned a number of times in this thread already, as well as the whole uproar in response to it when IGN showed it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Been playing SP this weekend, it's actually more 24 than 24: The Game. It's more action-oriented than previous Splinter Cells, which I kinda like, but it would've been cool if the game rewarded you for passing a level or a room without killing anyone.

Also: the game is sometimes rediculous. You can hear guards/other enemies say "maybe he's on the first floor." and they never go an check their. Or they say "he can be anywhere." but they check everywhere except the ceiling, where you're hiding. They only look up if you give them reason to do so.

Mark & Execute is an extremely powerful tool, which they balanced out by forcing you to take out an enemy from up close. This can lead to interesting situations, where your only chance of surviving a firefight is ME, but you'll need to take down an enemy first to be able to use ME. Very nicely done. My cats were not so thrilled about the ROWR-sound, though.

The last known location-marker is also a handy tool to know where your enemies are going to be. You can quickly adjust your position to gain an advantage or (as I have done on several occasions) drop a remote detonate mine, let them spot you in the vicinity of the mine, have them go to your location and make with the BOOM.

elektrixx

Banned
neorej said:
My cats were not so thrilled about the ROWR-sound, though.
:lol

The demo was my first time playing Splinter Cell. The first couple of tries I could tell there was a great game in there, I just couldn't unleash it. The third time I had the controls down and it was amazing. I really want this game.

MMaRsu

Najaf said:
There is not one mention of the competitive multiplayer component, Face-Off. Not one. The removal of spies vs. mercs is hard to get past, but having a feature obviously have such a small impact that it does not even get a mention is shameful.

It's IGN.

Pooya

Net_Wrecker said:
scc-menu5.jpg

Free Splinter Cell Conviction content incoming

Kifimbo

Been playing SP this weekend, it's actually more 24 than 24: The Game.

This is my feeling as well. First, they found a way to bring Sam back just like find a way to bring back at the start of every season of 24.

Sam, alone or with the help of someone in his ear (Anna instead of Chloe), can do what the other Armed Forces or security group can't. Just like Jack Bauer.

The action sequences.

The last mission vs.
24 Season 7 in the same location

Story spoiler:
In 24 Season 7, Starkwood, a private military contractor, fears their funding will be cut the a Senator and eventually the President. It's pretty much the same plot in Conviction with Third Echelon/Black Arrow.

Not to mention the
interrogation/torture scenes

Spookie

Blasted through this over the weekend. Silly story. Gameplay is too streamlined and simple. Mark and execute makes the game stupidly easy and it's too fucking short 6 hours ffs.

I'd go in to depth but I'm in work. :F

KingOfSoap

Neo Member
MMaRsu said:
If I could buy shit in dollars I would buy a lot more games. But too bad I live in Euroland where new games cost 60 euro's in the store, which is like the equivalent to 120 dollars or something o_O

60 euro is 81 dollar. But you are still right, getting fucked here on game prices in Europa. Sucks.

Only play on realistic. the game is challenging, especially the latter half on realistic. I can see blowing through it on normal or rookie, but the AI is much more aware on realistic mode. They react better to player actions like shooting out lights and gadget use etc. I've got about 5 hours on realistic and im just over halfway. There ARE areas where you have to wait in the shadows to learn patrol routes and dash from cover to cover. It feels like splinter cell, but quicker and yes, more action oriented.

You will be pleasantly surprised how much content there is in deniable ops. There are 6 'maps' but they each consist of 2 or 3 nice sized zones. You move onto zone 2 when completing zone 1, etc.

Completing the PEC challenges will take skill and time learning the game.

Looking forward to coop story mode, curious if they use the deniable ops maps.

Najaf said:
There is not one mention of the competitive multiplayer component, Face-Off. Not one. The removal of spies vs. mercs is hard to get past, but having a feature obviously have such a small impact that it does not even get a mention is shameful.

reviews of the online multiplayer experience should never be made without having a week+ to experience the online.. I don't blame them for not focusing in on that aspect.

nilam01

Banned
Where the f*** are the reviews, I'm getting sick of embargo's the game is about to release and except for ign none of the online sites have posted their reviews.

Kifimbo

nilam01 said:
Where the f*** are the reviews, I'm getting sick of embargo's the game is about to release and except for ign none of the online sites have posted their reviews.

Embargo is tomorrow at noon.

NHale

nilam01 said:

Embargo ends tomorrow.

IGN published their review because they made a deal with Ubisoft to get the rights for an exclusive review. Hilary Goldstein has a lot of "friends" in the industry, so he manages to get this deals very often.

The result of these IGN exclusive reviews, usually ends with a review >9.0 where a game can score higher than the score of any of the 5 sub-categories.

Najaf

Jesse Jane said:
reviews of the online multiplayer experience should never be made without having a week+ to experience the online.. I don't blame them for not focusing in on that aspect.

This is not necessary in this case. The Face-Off mode is one on one play with AI bots. It is much different when reviewing MAG where you need to get the experience of the maximum number of players.

And really, aside from MMOs, what reviews outlet do you know of that would hold off on a review for a week after its release to review the multiplayer component? It is not practical from a business standpoint; allowing all the competition to soak up the web traffic.

DrBo42

Najaf said:
Thank you. I've been really curious about this.
No problem. I wish the person that was streaming it actually had a sense of how to play. But if you watch for a while, you can really see the potential of the mode.

cool, so looking at the round recap screen

AI Enemy = 1 point
Killing Opponent = 5 Points
Death = -3 points

I like this.

I wonder if the sonar googles pick up the opposing player and whether you can mark/execute on him.

DrBo42

MrCompletely said:
cool, so looking at the round recap screen

AI Enemy = 1 point
Killing Opponent = 5 Points
Death = -3 points

I like this.

I wonder if the sonar googles pick up the opposing player and whether you can mark/execute on him.

You cannot M&E an enemy spy. No idea on the goggles yet, trying to find that out. As far as I can tell, you only get their LKP.

p3tran

Banned
hello!
a small parenthesis for my 360 pips:

I got to see&play the game Sunday, and I have one thing to say: You will be very happy!!!

NHale said:
Embargo ends tomorrow.

IGN published their review because they made a deal with Ubisoft to get the rights for an exclusive review. Hilary Goldstein has a lot of "friends" in the industry, so he manages to get this deals very often.

The result of these IGN exclusive reviews, usually ends with a review >9.0 where a game can score higher than the score of any of the 5 sub-categories.
I wouldn't mind review embargos so much if they worked similar to how they do in the movie industry and only crappy titles were embargoed. It's easy to simply connect the dots and ignore those.

It also doesn't help when the "exclusive" IGN review reads like a 7.5 or an 8 and then splashes a big 'ole 9.3 at the end. My Spidey sense is telling me this should review worse than Double Agent X360, but gaming journalism is so corrupt it's hard to know for certain. This may also be a case of the "single player" being crap, but the multiplayer being genius.

shinnn

NHale said:
Embargo ends tomorrow.

it's commom for Hilary reviews.. Fable II for example. But it got a 8.8.. any other conspiracy theories? :lol

Raide

DrBo42 said:
No problem. I wish the person that was streaming it actually had a sense of how to play. But if you watch for a while, you can really see the potential of the mode.

It was nice to see him run straight into the enemy and get put down really quickly. :lol

DrBo42

Looks like you can turn on "No Goggles" in the Face-Off lobby. Other options include pistols only and enemy density.
Edit: Hunter mode starts in the above stream around 28m and 45s.

Najaf

DrBo42 said:
Looks like you can turn on "No Goggles" in the Face-Off lobby. Other options include pistols only and enemy density.
Edit: Hunter mode starts in the above stream around 28m and 45s.

Turning down the enemy density seems like it would make for a more subtle match. There appeared to be guards everywhere and thus took the focus off of keeping an eye out for the other spy. Also, I take it that the guards respawn?

The game mode (Face-Off) looks interesting. I wonder if there is an elimination mode where there are a fixed number of guards and maybe a life count (ex. 3) for each spy.

One question for those that have it: can you map aiming to the left trigger?

Najaf said:
One question for those that have it: can you map aiming to the left trigger?

I don't know if you can remap the buttons or select alternate controller layouts, but the left trigger is the cover button and it works really well as that. I don't think you would want a FPS style ads in this game. My only prob with the controls (and it's really subjective) is that I keep hitting x to reload out of habit and end up using a gadget inadvertently. Click left stick = reload.
Sounds awkward, but you rarely need to actively reload, so it's really not an issue (unless you're a compulsive reloader like me )

Najaf

I don't know how to feel about Face-off after watching that. It seems to be a big run and gun arena with bots. While I know that you don't have to play it like that guy was, it seems obvious that using a lot of stealth will not rack up the score as fast as the full-auto, guns blazing approach.

While I am in no place to judge the design decisions at this point, it seems like it would have made more sense to reward stealth play. For instance, stealth kills (where the AI does not see you) are worth 2 points, and melee stealth kills are worth 3.

Speaking of melee, is there a knife in the campaign? I loved the knife of Pandora Tomorrow.

Just ran through the demo one final time to prepare for the game. Should have it by week's end from Amazon. "Looks like I got shotgun...":lol

Not surprised to see the usual whiners and cynics coming out of the woodwork now. :lol

Anyhow, anyone that finishes the game on anything under 8 hours on first playthrough is obviously just burning through it. Most folks will probably thoroughly enjoy the campaign and find themselves ending at around the 8-10 hour mark.

What's the actual objective for Face-Off? Is it ever advisable to work slowly or are you just trying to kill everyone as fast as possible?

JambiBum

BigKaboom2 said:
What's the actual objective for Face-Off? Is it ever advisable to work slowly or are you just trying to kill everyone as fast as possible?
To score more points than your opponent. Doesn't matter how you do it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Najaf said:
I don't know how to feel about Face-off after watching that. It seems to be a big run and gun arena with bots. While I know that you don't have to play it like that guy was, it seems obvious that using a lot of stealth will not rack up the score as fast as the full-auto, guns blazing approach.

You are correct.

While I am in no place to judge the design decisions at this point, it seems like it would have made more sense to reward stealth play. For instance, stealth kills (where the AI does not see you) are worth 2 points, and melee stealth kills are worth 3.

The game overall does not reward stealth play very heavily. The Last Stand game mode is also not conducive to stealthy play, as it's too slow to be effective in protecting the EMP you're guarding. Just keep in mind that this is Rainbow Six Vegas: Sneaky Style, not traditional Splinter Cell, and you'll be better prepared for what you find in the game.

Speaking of melee, is there a knife in the campaign? I loved the knife of Pandora Tomorrow.

Nope. Sam does find a lot of cool ways to crush people's throats with his guns' various parts, though.

Az987

all good things
Hmm, Amazon just shipped my Collector's Edition and didn't take into account the $10 price reduction. Should I email them or what?

legbone

no, just let them keep your 10 bucks. seriously though, just call them or email. their customer service is extremely helpful and actually will get shit done.

Syringe

Our (Gamereactor Sweden) review is up. 8/10 with a 9/10 in our second opinion. Main reviewer is a Splinter Cell fan, second one is not: REVIEW

We also have 50 pictures captured from the game in full size (cannot link them though). Here is an example...
2elunlx.jpg

RedSwirl

Anybody got a confirmation on the price of the PC version?

Best Buy and Gamer's Gate have $50. GameStop and Amazon have $60 (but Amazon has its own lowered price).

Also, GameStop will give you OG Splinter Cell for free with the game. Gamer's Gate will let you choose between OG SC and Chaos Theory with a pre-order.

beast786

If the SPis between 5-6hrs than I am very dissapointed. I dont give a damn about MP. I love so far everthing about it. If its confirmmed for that length I am going to wait.

JambiBum

Syringe said:
Our review is up. 8/10 with a 9/10 in our second opinion. Main reviewer is a Splinter Cell fan, second one is not: REVIEW

We also have 50 pictures captured from the game in full size (cannot link them though). Here is an example...

I saw the writing on the wall and was like WTF? Then I realized it was German and felt like a fool :lol

beast786 said:
If the SPis between 5-6hrs than I am very dissapointed. I dont give a damn about MP. I love so far everthing about it. If its confirmmed for that length I am going to wait.

It's already been confirmed by most people who have beaten in this thread that the SP is at least 8 hours just on normal.

TripOpt55

Man, I am so excited for this game. Should be getting it tomorrow morning though I'm not sure when I'll be able to try it. I'm hoping Deniable Ops is fun alone as I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play with friends.

Top Bottom