• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Amneisac

MrCompletely said:
What was game breaking for BFBC2? I got that before release and had 0 problems ever in that game.

This one was a release day patched, I've had SC:C since Friday and haven't had a single problem.

BFBC2 had a bug that corrupted save games and made them unplayable. Also it just had general server instability out the ass (at least on 360).

And you probably haven't had a problem with this game because you got past the "sticking point" before you got the patch I would assume.

RavenFox

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I know what you mean. UbiMon is getting sloppy or some shit. QA needs an overhaul at Ubisoft. My copy should be here any minute. I was really hoping to play some co-op but if the patch is fucking shit up I'll just wait it out.

Also, did I mistake hearing the Gamespot vid reviewer say that this game was built on a "modified" U2 engine? Why U2?

Kinda has me wondering if I should have sucked it up [DRM] and bought the PC version...
PC version for me
Cypher said:
I picked up a copy of the CE at Best Buy and I got a defective copy of the USB thumb drive.

It's defective in the sense that whatever host USB slot you insert it in (PC, Xbox 360, etc.), it simply won't be recognized.

And the CE didn't have the "Digging in the Ashes" comic book. (But it did contain the Best Buy exclusive SC3000 Assault Rifle code).

Fuck!
tumblr_krlkk0GNvZ1qa8lsto1_400.jpg

AMUSIX

Drinking Hatorade said:
if you read some reviews and impressions from gaf the majority think the stealth is still intact and works well with the mark and execute feature. why would you play this game like gears? sounds like you're still upset over the direction the series has taken but i think it's time to accept it or move on. it sounds like a great game regardless and although I understand some fans are disappointed, i personally like all the changes and action-stealth focus.
Stealth is present in the game, but I would never say that the Splinter Cell stealth is 'intact'. Heck, there are levels in the game that require a run-and-gun playstyle, and the vs mode MUST be played Run and Gun. Even the 'most splinter cell-y' game mode, Deniable Ops, is a Terrorist Hunt, rather than an objective-based infiltration.

This is a Splinter Cell game for all of those who would play Rambo Spies. Sam is a killer here, and the game repeatedly suggests that he go in and wipe out the opposing force. Heck, the AI and level design is structured for this, with enemies no longer having the 'curious/confused' state and with certain sections purely designed to get you to use M&E.

The Gears comparison is taking it a bit far, but Uncharted does fit well enough. The only use of stealth is to put yourself into a position from which you can unleash your killing might. That said, there are a number of sections of levels (and even a few full levels) you can traverse without being seen, but it is so obviously not the focus of the game.

Unfortunately, along with this, they've gone ahead and destroyed any character they may have built for Sam. He's always been able to kill, he's always had the tools and skills to take on everyone, but he has always shown restraint. The whole "his daughter is dead, so now he's a mindless killing machine" angle is just ridiculous. Heck, there's one level where the game delivers four squads of guys Sam would never kill, and then more or less tells you to kill them all (it is possible to pass that section without killing a single one).

The game is good, a solid 4/5, but as a Splinter Cell game, it is the worst of the five.

newsguy

I beat it in 5 hours. Just want to say I loved it, some levels could have been better but I enjoyed the more action oriented stealth. Doing the co-op stuff now and I like it better. Oh... LONGEST ENDING CREDITS EVER.

Amneisac said:
This makes two HUGE releases from major developers / publishers having major problems for me recently:

Splinter Cell: Conviction
Battlefield Bad Company 2

There is seriously no excuse for a game being pushed out by studios of this pedigree to have a game-breaking bug in it.
Ubisoft and DICE? The only pedigree those two have points precisely to what you're experiencing: non-existent quality assurance and game breaking bugs, this shouldn't come as a surprise, honestly. Hell, few devs/pubs manage to ship bug-free games these days.

Let's hope ubi fixes it soon.

Chrange

Banned
AMUSIX said:
The Gears comparison is taking it a bit far, but Uncharted does fit well enough. The only use of stealth is to put yourself into a position from which you can unleash your killing might. That said, there are a number of sections of levels (and even a few full levels) you can traverse without being seen, but it is so obviously not the focus of the game.

There are a few places in Conviction where you HAVE to fight, but a great deal of the time you can choose to eliminate only one or two guys and get by that way. If you were patient (and good with distractions) you could possibly avoid killing anyone for large stretches. That's a far cry from Uncharted's continual kill rooms where you can hide, but in the end you have to kill everyone to 'unlock' the next area anyway.

I cant pinpoint my disliking of the game, played a couple of hours but I don't know, maybe I'm done with Splinter Cell in general, I'm definitely not motivated in continuing my play-through.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Solideliquid said:
UPS, where the fuck are you?!

Yeah. :( Out for delivery at 6am, and here it is 4pm now and nothing. It never takes this long for UPS to come here.

frontieruk

AMUSIX said:
Stealth is present in the game, but I would never say that the Splinter Cell stealth is 'intact'. Heck, there are levels in the game that require a run-and-gun playstyle, and the vs mode MUST be played Run and Gun. Even the 'most splinter cell-y' game mode, Deniable Ops, is a Terrorist Hunt, rather than an objective-based infiltration.

This is a Splinter Cell game for all of those who would play Rambo Spies. Sam is a killer here, and the game repeatedly suggests that he go in and wipe out the opposing force. Heck, the AI and level design is structured for this, with enemies no longer having the 'curious/confused' state and with certain sections purely designed to get you to use M&E.

Unfortunately, along with this, they've gone ahead and destroyed any character they may have built for Sam. He's always been able to kill, he's always had the tools and skills to take on everyone, but he has always shown restraint. The whole "his daughter is dead, so now he's a mindless killing machine" angle is just ridiculous. Heck, there's one level where the game delivers four squads of guys Sam would never kill, and then more or less tells you to kill them all (it is possible to pass that section without killing a single one).

The game is good, a solid 4/5, but as a Splinter Cell game, it is the worst of the five.

Thank-you AMUSIX, eloquently put, as I've not played the full game only the demo and seen videos I can only talk from that prospective but I will approach it with the gears mentality of keep low and kill anything infront of me moving from cover to cover as required unless instructed not to as that's how it seems to of been constructed to me, moving from cover to cover to flank/sneak on enemies to get into that position of empowerment of M&E.

DrBo42

Solideliquid said:
UPS, where the fuck are you?!

Date Time Location Event Details
April 13, 2010 08:44:00 AM San Fernando CA US Arrival Scan
April 13, 2010 06:34:00 AM Sylmar CA US Out for delivery
April 13, 2010 06:34:00 AM San Fernando CA US Arrival Scan
April 13, 2010 05:25:00 AM Sylmar CA US Arrival Scan

Fuck you UPS.

dreamer3kx said:
I cant pinpoint my disliking of the game, played a couple of hours but I don't know, maybe I'm done with Splinter Cell in general, I'm definitely not motivated in continuing my play-through.

30ieykh.jpg

Saw this just above your post and it was eerie how it reflected my response.

DrBo42

frontieruk said:
Thank-you AMUSIX, eloquently put, as I've not played the full game only the demo and seen videos I can only talk from that prospective but I will approach it with the gears mentality of keep low and kill anything infront of me moving from cover to cover as required unless instructed not to as that's how it seems to of been constructed to me, moving from cover to cover to flank/sneak on enemies to get into that position of empowerment of M&E.

I can't even put it in words how wrong you are. If you play like that, I guarantee you will not enjoy the game.

Played just a little bit at lunch and I think this could end up being my favorite splinter cell easily because of the style of it.

Pro tip - Go into your unlockables from the menu and unlock not only the pre-order code SPAS but the other gun that's in there.

comrade

DrBo42 said:
Date Time Location Event Details
April 13, 2010 08:44:00 AM San Fernando CA US Arrival Scan
April 13, 2010 06:34:00 AM Sylmar CA US Out for delivery
April 13, 2010 06:34:00 AM San Fernando CA US Arrival Scan
April 13, 2010 05:25:00 AM Sylmar CA US Arrival Scan

Fuck you UPS.
April 13, 2010 08:29:00 AM San Marcos Hub CA US Arrival Scan
April 13, 2010 06:38:00 AM San Marcos CA US Out for delivery
April 13, 2010 04:51:00 AM San Diego CA US Arrival Scan
April 13, 2010 03:41:00 AM Louisville KY US Departure Scan
April 13, 2010 01:29:00 AM Louisville KY US Shipment received by carrier
April 12, 2010 05:54:24 PM Lexington KY US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

Fuck you UPS.

Kifimbo

DrBo42 said:
I can't even put it in words how wrong you are. If you play like that, I guarantee you will not enjoy the game.

Indeed. Felt more like old Splinter Cell with elements from Uncharted to me.

dreamer3kx said:

244wot4.gif

stldave2

Xbox Support twitter account said:
If you were seeing freezing in Splinter Cell - it’s been resolved. No need to do anything, just play and enjoy!^JC

20 minutes ago via web

Is there another patch out? Maybe they fixed something on the backend? I installed the game and ran the patch earlier but haven't started a game yet. I hope it's all good, I hate signing offline to play games... It feels anti-social of me.

kuYuri

Just wanted to mention that I beat the second level, have the latest update installed, and my game did not freeze anytime after the weapon stash. So this isn't happening to everyone.

EDIT: Maybe I managed to get past it due to this invisible update Microsoft did.

To help relieve some stress this bug seems to be causing... I rented it, skipped the update and in my personal opinion, this game fucking rules. I don't know that I'd buy it because of how short it seems to be, but I'm having a blast and it's got me hooked. The gameplay is excellent and taking out enemies is very satisfying on every level. I think the cover system and the takeout mechanic works very well, though I'm not sure I like how you have to melee someone before being able to initiate takeout. Though I suppose there has to be some sort of crutch, otherwise it would be a bit too easy. :lol

frontieruk

CloakedPuppet said:

knee jerk reaction incoming :- Not everyone has to like what you do and they have the option to voice it here, there was plenty of pre-warning in the demo thread that people were going to find the game a bit meh, no need to mock someones opinion the game doesn't do anything for him. /knee jerk reaction

Perhaps the co-op might catch him, he didn't say if he'd tried it, I'm hoping that it's going to be the games saving grace for me as I'm a glutton for co-op, so much so i gifted 3 of my friends CT when it was on sale on steam, and play at least 2 missions a week
with someone.

frontieruk

Kifimbo said:
Indeed. Felt more like old Splinter Cell with elements from Uncharted to me.

see I hope your right, but from what i've seen it's more uncharted with SC elements, anyway should have game tomorrow or thursday as it's been shipped, just depends how my postmans feeling :(

Kifimbo

frontieruk said:
see I hope your right, but from what i've seen it's more uncharted with SC elements, anyway should have game tomorrow or thursday as it's been shipped, just depends how my postmans feeling :(

It can be more Uncharted than Splinter Cell if you choose to play like that. But that's mostly your decision.

Chrange

Banned
frontieruk said:
knee jerk reaction incoming :- Not everyone has to like what you do and they have the option to voice it here, there was plenty of pre-warning in the demo thread that people were going to find the game a bit meh, no need to mock someones opinion the game doesn't do anything for him. /knee jerk reaction

Perhaps the co-op might catch him, he didn't say if he'd tried it, I'm hoping that it's going to be the games saving grace for me as I'm a glutton for co-op, so much so i gifted 3 of my friends CT when it was on sale on steam, and play at least 2 missions a week
with someone.

Maybe some of the people with negative impressions should wait until they actually play the game before "contributing" their "impressions" to the thread. :lol

frontieruk

Chrange said:
Maybe some of the people with negative impressions should wait until they actually play the game before "contributing" their "impressions" to the thread. :lol

hey I was commenting on one person who had played it's comments on another persons opinion who has played the game... Having played the demo which was an adjusted level but one supposedly representative of the game I'm allowed to have doubts, and I'm not sure why your mocking as I was trying to be positive about the aspect of the game I've not tried rather than saying it's "NOT CHAOS THEORY *WEEPS IN CORNER*"

stop being an ass

Pooya

I played a bit today on realistic. the game isn't really hard but it was still good. FMVs are really bad, the transitions between in-game and movies are really jarring. and Grim is so ugly, She didn't have red hair last time I checked :p. overall the game is good so far.

miladesn said:
I played a bit today on realistic. the game isn't really hard but it was still good but, FMVs are really bad, the transitions between in-game and movies are really jarring. and Grim is so ugly, She didn't have red hair last time I checked :p. overall the game is good so far.

Yeah. If the presentation were more solid and the single-player campaign were longer it would definitely be a GOTY contender in my books. As it stands, I'm playing the greatest rental ever made :lol

dewm tew

Banned
CloakedPuppet said:
30ieykh.jpg

please refrain from posting this gif in the future, i have him on ignore for that very reason

RedSwirl

AMUSIX said:

I'm a huge fan of Chaos Theory, and I'll say that I loved the way Uncharted 2 implemented stealth.

Yeah you have to deal with almost every enemy in that game, but I liked how almost every combat situation in Uncharted 2 could be resolved with stealth tactics.

It's looking like I'm not gonna be able to play Conviction for a while though without swallowing Ubisoft's DRM. From what I've heard if I had an Xbox this would without question be a rental.

Barakov

Played up to the
Iraq flashback.
It definitely feels like Splinter Cell with some Uncharted elements. Mark and execute , thankfully, doesn't feel like the win button. Still I don't know how I feel about
Sam's daughter supposedly being alive.

I don't have much time but honestly, really enjoying it. The controls especially aren't as frustrating as the Xbox versions. Being able to roll without some weird contextual button press is refreshing. Presentation is top notch, though I miss some of the things. Whistling, picking locks, knife play, etc. The co-op stuff seems really awesome as well.

Lunchbox

Banned
people having trouble with the freeze try starting a new game

it kept freezing for me after the first weapons stash, started a whole new game and it fixed it self.

i guess the update corrupts your existing save file or something

legbone

i am loving this game. granted, it is only the second splinter cell game (and the other was double agent for about an hour) i have ever played, but this is great. campaign shortness does not bother me. it seems to have a lot of replay value due to the coop and the pec challenges.

on a down note, the ce is a shell of what it was supposed to be. i remember at one time they were going to include a code for chaos theory from games on demand. also it seems they cut the comic book. no one in my area received a copy of the comic.

however, my usb drive works. it is blank (512mb) but it is recognized and works fine (seems a little slow of course). a friend of mine got the ce from walmart and his drive could not be detected by his computer. i purchased mine from gamestop. mine works at least.

I'd say the stealth is still a strong presence in this game. However, what's changed is you essentially have to kill most enemies. For me, this is not ultimately what defines SC (the way I play at least) because kill or not, the point of stealth is to avoid detection. And the plot rationalizes this, Sam is free to do as he pleases. I'm really not disappointed at all with the stealth implementation in the game. Could this be Fishers' swan song? Was this discussed?

Anyone want to play co-op?

The update caused my game to freeze a couple times before completely borking it to hell. While on the phone with xbox support (because i couldn't make it past the startup screen), it proceeded to give me the 3 rrod. The guy on the phone said I am one of many who have called today having their 360 get absolutely screwed by this.

Just a warning to everyone. My fury is unmeasurable at how a software update slipped by Ubi and MS that could cause this.

Top Bottom