• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

styl3s

Amazing game so far, defiantly my favorite SC game but then again i was never into the super stealth SC games.

This game is just a blast defiantly worth 60$, loving the story and gameplay.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
OMFG, I just watched some gameplay videos on YT.

So fucking amazing. I was gonna wait for the PC version but some store is selling it for 44 euros. Gonna bite tomorrow

Hope the highest difficulty is really, really challenging. MGS4 level-like

Wall writing is some innovating shit. Ubisoft leading the way again

Kifimbo said:
Did you finish the story ?

Haha, not yet, I suppose that should answer my question!

Part of me wishes I just sucked it up, declared defeat and waited for PC version. I bet it will look phenomenal

FunkyMunkey said:
The update caused my game to freeze a couple times before completely borking it to hell. While on the phone with xbox support (because i couldn't make it past the startup screen), it proceeded to give me the 3 rrod. The guy on the phone said I am one of many who have called today having their 360 get absolutely screwed by this.

Just a warning to everyone. My fury is unmeasurable at how a software update slipped by Ubi and MS that could cause this.

I'm extremely sorry man, that fucking SUCKS.

KAL2006

Banned
Sorry to go off topic but I didn't want to create another thread.

I have never played a Splinter Cell games before, I have too much of a backlog to play all the previous games. Would it be a good idea to play Chaos Theory (Xbox) and Double Agent (360) before I start this game.

Oh FUCK yes, I totally did not know you can upgrade weapons and shit in SC:C. Every game ever needs to have upgradable equipment/stats/progress bars-- automatic tenfold enhancement of my enjoyment.

KAL2006 said:

I have never played a Splinter Cell games before, I have too much of a backlog to play all the previous games. Would it be a good idea to play Chaos Theory (Xbox) and Double Agent (360) before I start this game.

Doesn't matter one bit. I haven't played Splinter Cell since the second Xbox game and the 'story' in SC:C is very simple and easy to follow.

Lunchbox

Banned
KAL2006 said:

if you never played splinter cell this game was made for you. just start with this

AMUSIX

KAL2006 said:

You really don't need to. This game is a big disconnect from both of those. There are some story elements that carry over from Double Agent, if you want, but playing DA won't prepare you for the play in Conviction.

In fact, I'd suggest that Conviction might be much more enjoyable by those who haven't played the previous Splinter Cells, and, as such, is probably a great move for the series. That said, Chaos Theory is the best game in the series, and the best Stealth game to date.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5271091065/m/6701094258

[LATEST UPDATE]
The issue has been resolved, you should now be able to play without further problems.

[ORIGINAL POST]
We are currently investigating a freezing issue seen in the title update that was released for Splinter Cell Conviction on the Xbox 360 this morning. This issue only happens after installing the update and we have asked Microsoft to remove the update for the time being until we can determine the cause and fix the issue. If you have installed the update please remove it and play through the impacted mission again.
I don't exactly know what this means but I guess it's good.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that someone posted a tweet saying the same thing.

KAL2006

Banned
AMUSIX said:
You really don't need to. This game is a big disconnect from both of those. There are some story elements that carry over from Double Agent, if you want, but playing DA won't prepare you for the play in Conviction.

In fact, I'd suggest that Conviction might be much more enjoyable by those who haven't played the previous Splinter Cells, and, as such, is probably a great move for the series. That said, Chaos Theory is the best game in the series, and the best Stealth game to date.

In that case I will play Chaos Theory before, then go straight to this. The reason I want to play Chaos Theory is because I heard nothing but good things about that game.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It just came -Amazon packed in a flimsy envelope and the case is completely fucked up- but I don't know if I am going to start it yet until there's 100% confirmation it runs okay.

Pooya

Teetris said:
Hope the highest difficulty is really, really challenging. MGS4 level-like
it's not like MGS4 but you die a lot and fast if you play run n gun on realistic difficulty. unfortunately some areas are completely like a 3rd person shooter and play more like Uncharted 2 than Splinter Cell (the gunplay feels same IMO) and in these parts I died a lot like the level in
Iraq
. stealthy parts are pretty easy though but again I'm not that far in the game, played for 2-3 hours so far.

comrade said:
Seriously fuck UPS.
Ship Carrier: UPS
Tracking Number:

Order #:
Shipment Date: April 12, 2010
Destination: , AZ, US
Estimated Arrival: April 13, 2010

Track your package    
Date Time Location Event Details
April 12, 2010 06:38:28 PM Whitestown IN US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

No updates since yesterday ?

Sanic

I don't mean to go OT but this is the main Splinter Cell thread...

Who's gonna take a break from Conviction tommorow and give Chaos Theory spies vs mercs a final runthrough on XBL?

kuYuri

It's weird, I got my SC:C pretty early from UPS today. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

And UPS has arrived pretty late in the past for me, like for MW2's release.

JambiBum

Strider2K99 said:
It's weird, I got my SC:C pretty early from UPS today. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

And UPS has arrived pretty late in the past for me, like for MW2's release.
I guess this is why I never order games online. I hate waiting for things and to have to rely on someone else to deliver my game just doesn't feel right.

fernoca

Probably was asked already...
Any word on the missing comic books in the collectors?

Two friends got it, the box says is not in the USB...
Though one of them don't mind, since Best Buy was selling the collectors ..for the same price as the regular ($60)..; while another friend got it from another store, also missing the comic book..but paid $70.

So this game has a pretty good story and equally good storytelling. It's the first SC game I've played more than 10 minutes of, and I don't know how it connects to the others story-wise but I feel like just after a few levels that the story is very easy on newcomers.

kuYuri

JambiBum said:
I guess this is why I never order games online. I hate waiting for things and to have to rely on someone else to deliver my game just doesn't feel right.

Well, all I know is that, when I wake up and walk to my front door and see a package with the game inside, it feels way better than having to get dressed and go to a shitty Gamestop or wherever to get it. :p

Also, I got the game for $40 on Amazon.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
JambiBum said:

I saved about $20 buying the game from Amazon over paying $59.99 plus tax at a store. I got my copy late today, sure, but I'd have no problem waiting another day if that was the case. :p

frontieruk

Pandoracell said:
I don't mean to go OT but this is the main Splinter Cell thread...

Who's gonna take a break from Conviction tommorow and give Chaos Theory spies vs mercs a final runthrough on XBL?

sheeeeet doesn't time fly when your on gaf... seems like only yesterday ms announced the death of original live in a couple of months time :-O I would but never learnt the maps well enough to be of any use, spent more time on the co-op, but it'd be a nice way to say goodbye to the old system

This is going to take me FOREVER trying to kill/alert as few enemies as possible. A couple of times I've felt like I'm fighting the game in order to do it, but there are actually some decent alternate routes to take

Also, double tapping LB while running looks hilarious.

Edit: I'm having a lot of problems trying to figure out whether areas are illuminated or not when I'm already in the shadows.

Soulstar

All these UPS rants make me feel incredibly lucky considering anything I order shows up before I'm even awake. That feeling alone is probably the reason I have so many games preorderd...

Conviction is awesome so far it's surprisingly fun taking out a room full of enemies while mainly using hand to hand attacks.

JambiBum

Strider2K99 said:
Well, all I know is that, when I wake up and walk to my front door and see a package with the game inside, it feels way better than having to get dressed and go to a shitty Gamestop or wherever to get it. :p

Also, I got the game for $40 on Amazon.

Eh. I guess I lucked out cus the people who work at the GS I go to are all pretty cool. Plus one of them is a good friend of mine. Even if his store isn't allowed to do a midnight release for a game I want if I ask him to he usually will. I can see where just walking to your door to get it would be wonderful though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
miladesn said:
it's not like MGS4 but you die a lot and fast if you play run n gun on realistic difficulty. unfortunately some areas are completely like a 3rd person shooter and play more like Uncharted 2 than Splinter Cell (the gunplay feels same IMO) and in these parts I died a lot like the level in
Iraq
. stealthy parts are pretty easy though but again I'm not that far in the game, played for 2-3 hours so far.
Tnx man. Hope the 3rd person shooter parts are not overwhelming, the fact that the game is so fast paced and smooth in movement is amazing for a stealth game (vs say MGS and Hitman and even previous SC games) so I hope they made full use of that and the difficulty.

Az987

all good things
Mine just came via UPS.

Are all the collector's edition's missing the comic book?

Also, is the problem with the USB drive that it wont fit in a USB port lol?? I cant even get mine in to see if it works or not

JambiBum

Az987 said:
Mine just came via UPS.

Are all the collector's edition's missing the comic book?

Also, is the problem with the USB drive that it wont fit in a USB port lol?? I cant even get mine in to see if it works or not

The USB thing is weird. It fits in my port on my 360 and laptop but neither of them will read it.

As far as the comic book thing goes, I actually thought I lost mine last night when I was going through everything and so I flipped out :lol . Then I came in here and realized some people didn't get one and figured that's what happened to me. Being sick is giving me dementia.

Dont think its been posted, but for the PC buyers -

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...onsole-port-with-extra-quality-features/News/

Ubisoft:The PC version will output a greater resolution (up to 2560x1440 on the latest graphics hardware) at 60FPS. Shadow resolution is also greater on PC and we support 16X Anti-Aliasing as well as Anisotropic Filtering. Physic effects are the same that on the Xbox 360 version.

Still not sure which version to get, the Ubi DRM is a put off, but so is the higher 360 price tag, and i do love my 60FPS8XAAWTFBBQ graphics :lol Wish they released a PC demo :(

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So I heard they fixed the freezing problems? Can I download the game update now?

Do you guys having problems with UPS order to your home address or your work address? (those who have the option) Right or wrong, I think UPS drivers just hate sporadic residential addresses. They're much less likely to flake out on a business address that they deliver regularly or semi-regularly to, as they know they'll have to answer for it later if they fuck up. I constantly have problems when I order to my apartment but rarely/never when I order to work.

kaskade

I'm really loving the game. Way better than the demo. Being thrown into an area with a bunch of guards is so awesome. They really do feel like your prey. Ubisoft Montreal seems to have a knack for making players feel badass.

Apath

Just got this in the mail from Best Buy today. I'm at a cross as to whether I should open it or not. Was hoping there would be more impressions in this thread.

JambiBum

Kenak said:
Just got this in the mail from Best Buy today. I'm at a cross as to whether I should open it or not. Was hoping there would be more impressions in this thread.

Open it. Even if you don't like the single player if you liked CT you will love the co op and deniable ops modes. Except for maybe last stand. Don't know how I feel about that yet.

Alcander

Really enjoying the game so far...

- Graphics are actually quite good in parts, minus many of the character models which are fugly. Sam looks badass as expected. Lighting is great.

- Gameplay is very fluid, animations are great, execution animations are especially cool.

- I'm playing the game stealthy and honestly its working pretty well but I keep dying! I have issues telling which areas are going to be hidden, etc, plus I have rarely shot my gun outside of M&E... surprisingly hard for me (on realistic) so far, but I've always sorta sucked at stealth games.

- I also keep restarting when I get spotted (often), but am trying not to now as its not such a game-ender as it was in the originals. I do like to play as the ultimate badass - not being seen (though I have no qualms with killing dudes without them knowing). I don't understand the no-kill freaks.

- Sam of course is a total badass, I was cracking up when you
"interrogate" Grim, and Sam slaps her twice.. haha!
. You really do feel like a predator playing it which is a lot of fun.

- I still have yet to get a really fluid, perfect, mission clear. What I mean by this is taking down whoever necessary without getting caught *without* restarting. I'll be happy once this happens :) But its definitely a difficult game (if you want to play stealthily), IMO.

Note: I'm only on like the 3rd or 4th mission so take these impressions with a grain of salt. Really liking the game so far!

frontieruk said:
sheeeeet doesn't time fly when your on gaf... seems like only yesterday ms announced the death of original live in a couple of months time :-O I would but never learnt the maps well enough to be of any use, spent more time on the co-op, but it'd be a nice way to say goodbye to the old system

I remember when the game first came out, there was a lot of disconnects when playing co-op online, did those get fixed? People used to think turning off your mic helped stability. Don't know why that popped into my head it just did.

comrade

Damn this game is sweet. It's pretty damn hard for me to not be seen too and I'm only playing on Normal. I liked the Iraq level also. I think that makes me a bad person.

MechDX

JambiBum said:
The USB thing is weird. It fits in my port on my 360 and laptop but neither of them will read it.

As far as the comic book thing goes, I actually thought I lost mine last night when I was going through everything and so I flipped out :lol . Then I came in here and realized some people didn't get one and figured that's what happened to me. Being sick is giving me dementia.

Thats because they were shipped blank. Just pick an LE copy up at a local BestBuy for $59.99 because of this. They have huge disclaimer signs around the game. Said shit I had a $25 Reward Zone certificate to use. Ubi says they will give the stuff that was supposed to be on the drive away for free later.:D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh yeah, this came out today. I think I'll pick it up on Friday if it has the GAF seal of approval.
I think I'm more interested in the co-op campaign than the single player, it sounds like a good time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Having great fun so far. Controls are laid out really well. Graphics are decent. I'm trying to run through stealth style, but is it even possible in some of these locations?

frontieruk said:
knee jerk reaction incoming :- Not everyone has to like what you do and they have the option to voice it here, there was plenty of pre-warning in the demo thread that people were going to find the game a bit meh, no need to mock someones opinion the game doesn't do anything for him. /knee jerk reaction

Perhaps the co-op might catch him, he didn't say if he'd tried it, I'm hoping that it's going to be the games saving grace for me as I'm a glutton for co-op, so much so i gifted 3 of my friends CT when it was on sale on steam, and play at least 2 missions a week
with someone.

Hey - fair enough. Perhaps my knee jerk reaction to his post could have been rethought.

I don't have a problem with people not liking the game. At the same time, I couldn't help respond to his post because it had zero points to illustrate why he felt the way he did. He could have very easily just been in a bad mood while playing it - or he was tired or...whatever. Point being - it irks me when people knock a game but don't back it up with anything. Especially when a game is as good as this one is.

Top Bottom