• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Tonza

This game is pretty good. I think it's a good direction for the series after 360 Double Agent.

Though maybe Im just in a spy mood since I've been marathoning Burn Notice for the past few weeks.
Alpha Protocol better be good.

S1kkZ

just played one mission of infiltration (deniable ops): yep, its pure stealth.
i love the single player but i really like the deniable ops missions so far (played hunter and infiltration). feels a lot more like the old splinter cell games.

Me and my buddy are having a blast with the Co-op last night.

Oh man, we were doing the Russian Embassy Co-op story on realistic difficulty and I don't remember how many times we had to restart the mission to get to the check point especially with the fact that you can't get detected!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ok, so I said I was going to rent because of the super short single player.

3 hours of Denied Ops at a friends house last night and I bought the game today. Already up to the final level but oh my God its been a blast. After the demo I was really annoyed at how much they had changed the series from what made it so good. The finished game is much more like traditional SC games than I had imagined.

AMAZING GAME. Additions to the series are mostly great now just no 3-5 year wait for the next in the series please guys!

Double D

Finished it last night. Really thought the game was fantastic. I actually looked at the PEC challenges for the first time and some of them seem kinda crazy. One of them was like kill an enemy from 10m away from your last known position or something like that. I could have sworn I've done that several times before, but I had none registered. Kinda strange, but they all seem interesting enough and I'll probably go back and try to get them. Anyways, I'd like to get into some coop this weekend (evenings) if anyone wants to join me.

GT: dvd520

Oh yeah, I'm down for some DLC that just drops Sam into the old Splinter Cell suit with all the gadgets and just has some crazy, multi-path, stealth-oriented levels. Screw the story continuity. Just make them challenge maps or something.

I finished the single-player two nights ago. I'm waiting for the weekend to roll out for the co-op modes, but I found the story mode to be good. Playing the game was pretty fun. At one point I honestly gave up playing it like Chaos Theory even though I know there were some segments that made that possible, but I loved using all the toys to mess around with enemies' heads. I liked the level design, but what keeps me from saying it's great are that it felt a bit too simplified to my tastes at times, and I just didn't like the story really and one segment of it. Still, I had fun, and that's what counts for me.

skyfinch

Loving this game. Having a blast just grabbing people then throwing them out the windows or into walls. Surprised at how fun the Iraq level was, and how well the controls actually held up.

What I don't understand is that all of the "loading" cutscenes can be skipped, but the in game ones can't. And for being so scared, these fuckers talk a lot. Sitting and waiting for them to shut up is painful.

Also, really miss proper night vision goggles. These sonar ones always distort the image every so often and that can be very disorientating, especially since the game is so dark in areas. I got trapped in a damn air vent and had to restart because I couldn't see where I was going. When I finally figured it out, the exit was 2 feet away from me. :lol

*regarding the PEC challenges. Has anyone completed the one where you have to distract an enemy by disabling a camera? How and where can yo do this?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
skyfinch said:
Also, really miss proper night vision goggles. These sonar ones always distort the image every so often and that can be very disorientating, especially since the game is so dark in areas. I got trapped in a damn air vent and had to restart because I couldn't see where I was going. When I finally figured it out, the exit was 2 feet away from me. :lol
You might want to check the brightness settings of your TV, because that game was never *that* dark for me. And my TV tends to be way too dark even when properly set up.

Hixx

skyfinch said:
These sonar ones always distort the image every so often and that can be very disorientating, especially since the game is so dark in areas.

*regarding the PEC challenges. Has anyone completed the one where you have to distract an enemy by disabling a camera? How and where can yo do this?

Sonar goggles only distort when you move.

I got the camera one
one the way out of 3rd Echelon, hard to describe cos all the rooms are incredibly similar tho :/. Just shot the camera, guard said 'holy shit!' and moved towards it. Head shot. Didn't even know it was a challenge
:D

Just completed it, credits rolling now. Enjoyed most of it until
the White House level
. Game ended up turning into a shooting gallery which was a bit disappointing as the first 60% or so of the game had a great balance.

Took about 7 and a half hours on realistic which isn't great but there are many worse offenders I suppose. Might write up some more thoughts later, but the main one is: it's a good game, at times great, but it ain't no Splinter Cell game.

edit: oh god 17 minutes of credits!

OT a bit, took yesterday off from this to finish reading the Splinter Cell Conviction book (which has a very different story) and I liked it, pretty fun reading. Might have to get Endgame now after I finish the game.

JambiBum

zero margin said:
OT a bit, took yesterday off from this to finish reading the Splinter Cell Conviction book (which has a very different story) and I liked it, pretty fun reading. Might have to get Endgame now after I finish the game.

Endgame is pretty much the same book except that it is told from Hansen's point of view instead of Fisher's. I don't think the story is that different from the game as
you're still being hunted by 3E and Grim still sets you up in a way
the outcome of the story and the characters are of course different but it does stay with the same theme. Endgame is worth reading if you want a different perspective but if you want a different story you won't be getting it.

JambiBum said:
Endgame is pretty much the same book except that it is told from Hansen's point of view instead of Fisher's. I don't think the story is that different from the game as
you're still being hunted by 3E and Grim still sets you up in a way
the outcome of the story and the characters are of course different but it does stay with the same theme. Endgame is worth reading if you want a different perspective but if you want a different story you won't be getting it.

Oh yeah, yeah it gives like a 10 page preview at the end of conviction for it, I actually kind of like the idea of the other perspective though I'm sure it's going to be filled with how in awe they are of
Fisher
which could get old.

REV 09

played 6 missions of the sp last night. i'm really liking it so far, except for some of the stuff in missions 4 & 5. I like that you can be stealthy in the game, but if the shit hits the fan you can effectively fight back. i do wish that the next sc takes the new gameplay additions and pushes them into a slightly more stealthy direction...i miss the knife, stealth suit, and the goggles. i will say that the pacing has been really good thus far.

i can't wait to dive into co-op though. Overall, it's solid and a step in the right direction.

REV 09 said:
played 6 missions of the sp last night. i'm really liking it so far, except for some of the stuff in missions 4 & 5. I like that you can be stealthy in the game, but if the shit hits the fan you can effectively fight back. i do wish that the next sc takes the new gameplay additions and pushes them into a slightly more stealthy direction...i miss the knife, stealth suit, and the goggles. i will say that the pacing has been really good thus far.

i can't wait to dive into co-op though. Overall, it's solid and a step in the right direction.

The one thing I enjoyed in addition to my last post was the AI on Realistic. Granted, they're still not the brightest bunch of bad guys, but they were pretty challenging for the most part. Plus some of the things they were saying were so hilariously out of context to whatever current situation I found myself in.

I actually loved walking down a quiet corridor and all of a sudden Splinter Cells come crashing through with their sonar goggles and it was a cat-and-mouse game.

JambiBum

zero margin said:
Oh yeah, yeah it gives like a 10 page preview at the end of conviction for it, I actually kind of like the idea of the other perspective though I'm sure it's going to be filled with how in awe they are of
Fisher
which could get old.

They aren't really in awe too much. Hansen is actually a pretty good character. They actually mention him in the co op campaign. I'm hoping that after Sam's story is done that if they continue with the SC franchise that they use Hansen. He is basically Sam's equivalent just younger. Doesn't quite have the experience of Sam but that isn't too big of a problem.

I'm assuming that Sam will have one more game to hunt down
The group that starts with a M. Can't for the life of me remember the name
Then he will be done.

Ricker

If I have to talk to that secretary one more time,i`ll break everything in the house,can`t past that part yet so I gave up last evening...goddamn stuff on timers,can`t stand stuff like this much anymore.

Pooya

Ricker said:
If I have to talk to that secretary one more time,i`ll break everything in the house,can`t past that part yet so I gave up last evening...goddamn stuff on timers,can`t stand stuff like this much anymore.
yeah, that was awful! why not save just after the cut-scene?
"..the office is closed for the evening.."
the hell :/

Ricker said:

:lol I feel your pain.

Gowans

Ricker said:
This is exactly what I came to say.

Here right now for the tenth time.

Game design 101 put your checkpoints after cutscenes.

Loving the fame but Christ Ubi!

JambiBum

OMG at the ridiculousness of Kotaku. They really are just reaching for hits now aren't they? Reason I'm posting this here is because it has to do with Conviction. Warning as the link contains late game spoilers. Even the title in the link sort of spoils it some so be careful if you haven't finished the story. Dumb kotaku story

Gowans007 said:
This is exactly what I came to say.

Here right now for the tenth time.

Game design 101 put your checkpoints after cutscenes.

Loving the fame but Christ Ubi!

yeah that part got me too until I smartened up

To beat it I ducked behind the her desk and snipe the first guy then run around the corner and throw a frag grenade down the hall as soon as the other two come running out, I guess multiple flashbangs might be able to get you thru there without killing them?

JambiBum said:
They aren't really in awe too much. Hansen is actually a pretty good character. They actually mention him in the co op campaign. I'm hoping that after Sam's story is done that if they continue with the SC franchise that they use Hansen. He is basically Sam's equivalent just younger. Doesn't quite have the experience of Sam but that isn't too big of a problem.

I'm assuming that Sam will have one more game to hunt down
The group that starts with a M. Can't for the life of me remember the name
Then he will be done.

That alleviates my main concern then, will read for sure. I like the Hansen character as well.

JambiBum

TheVisualizer said:
yeah that part got me too until I smartened up

To beat it I ducked behind the her desk and snipe the first guy then run around the corner and throw a frag grenade down the hall as soon as the other two come running out, I guess multiple flashbangs might be able to get you thru there without killing them?
I'm pretty sure that you can jump up into the ceiling at that part and hide for a little.

Loxley

I think I may attempt a playthrough without using any silenced weapons at some point (with the exception of the levels where you have to get through certain areas undetected, obviously). Just to see how different my playstyle would have to be, and to see if the game would become a lot more difficult.

Barakov said:
That might of been the longest credit sequence I've ever seen.
It's 18 minutes long. I was *very* frustrated by the end and I didn't want to skip the credits, in case there was a cutscene after the credits roll.

Pooya

DJ Lushious said:
It's 18 minutes long. I was *very* frustrated by the end and I didn't want to skip the credits, in case there was a cutscene after the credits roll.
Was there one?

miladesn said:
Was there one?
S1kkZ said:
no. there is some dialogue but audio only.
And the audio, while
funny
, wasn't worth the 18 minutes. For real, they combined all of the language credits into one big scrolling mass of lameness.
miladesn said:
Nooo, I have to sit through that thing again now :/.
Don't worry about it. The audio ends and then the credits still go for another 8 minutes. :lol

TheFreshPrince

Has anyone else had their difficulty randomly lowered?

I started the game on Realistic, and then on Scene 8, I check the main menu, and it says I'm playing on Normal! How could this have happened??

Has anyone found a way to make it through a level without getting noticed AND without killing anyone? Like, for 100% 'I was never there' plausible deniability? Cause I sure as hell cant (on Realistic).

Loxley

Splinter Cell: Conviction has virtues, and we may even get around to discussing them, but "incessant guard dialogue" is not among them. These people never shut their Goddamned mouths. Ever. Until you shoot them. The new game's emphasis on brutal murder has been decried in some corners, but players will appreciate the ability shut four of these douchebags up simultaneously

(CW)TB out.

:lol

EekTheKat

Small tip for those having problems with a certain part of a certain level involving avoiding a certain
laserbeam trap
that causes quite a bit frustration.

You can
grab a guy as a body shield and just drag him along with you through the beams and it won't trigger the machine gun turret.

I was kind of surprised that it worked, but it's a nice nod to
the old splinter cell laser traps where you had to use a body that had the proper ID tag to pass through it

skyfinch

Ricker said:

:lol I was so close to throwing my controller across the room. Not only do you have to talk to her, but you have to sloooooooowly make your way towards the desk. Such a brutal part to have to restart from.

Ephemeris

I can't believe I finished the Splinter Cell challenges before the other two. Then again, the others consist of my getting caught.. >_>

Ricker said:

I feel you. I eventually got past that by CQC'ing the first guy then using Mark-Execute on the others.

EekTheKat said:
You can
grab a guy as a body shield and just drag him along with you through the beams and it won't trigger the machine gun turret.

I was kind of surprised that it worked, but it's a nice nod to
the old splinter cell laser traps where you had to use a body that had the proper ID tag to pass through it

Just blew my mind. :lol

Ok seriously, how in the name of all that is fucking holy do you level up the 'Cat and Mouse' and 'Last Known Position' PEC challenges?

I have killed guys walking toward the ghost outline from three feet away from it, and NOTHING.

I've played through the entire game twice already and have not earned a single one. I should have done it by accident by now.

Finished the game for the first time just now. Wow. Probably my favorite Splinter Cell so far beating out Chaos Theory. I like the new direction a lot. The storyline is MUCH improved over previous games. Everything is there. Plot, presentation, good characters, good voice work, everything. What I'm most impressed with however is the sound track. The soundtrack is fucking awesome. One of the best soundtracks in recent memory. The music did a great job of conveying the emotions and feelings Sam and the player should be feeling at any particular time. A lot of truly badass moments scattered throughout the game.

What happens if you decide to "Spare" Reed?

Also..."I already have one" during the credits...:lol

Definitely playing again. Probably starting tomorrow. I'm pissed I don't have anyone to play Co-Op with. None of my friends have picked it up.

skyfinch

ToyMachine228 said:
Finished the game for the first time just now. Wow. Probably my favorite Splinter Cell so far beating out Chaos Theory. I like the new direction a lot. The storyline is MUCH improved over previous games. Everything is there. Plot, presentation, good characters, good voice work, everything. What I'm most impressed with however is the sound track. The soundtrack is fucking awesome. One of the best soundtracks in recent memory. The music did a great job of conveying the emotions and feelings Sam and the player should be feeling at any particular time. A lot of truly badass moments scattered throughout the game.

Definitely playing again. Probably starting tomorrow. I'm pissed I don't have anyone to play Co-Op with. None of my friends have picked it up.

Grim puts a few holes in that fucker for you.

JambiBum

ToyMachine228 said:

If you want you can just go to continue story in the main menu and replay it to get the achievement and find out what happens. But if you want to know then read the spoiler.

If you spare reed he laughs maniacally at you and then Grim comes over and shoots him in the chest. Sam says that that didn't need to happen and Grim disagrees. Sam says that he is done but then Grim asks for his help dealing with the other threat. The one that starts with a M. Can't remember the name. Then it cuts to the Coste thing.

DJ Lushious said:

Is that all? I think Dragon Age has at least a half hour of credits.

Top Bottom