• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

JambiBum

Najaf said:
Infiltration mode was fun indeed. I miss using my remote mines though.
Play last stand if you want some mine goodness. It's a really good mode to get some of those explosive challenges out of the way and such.

How close or far do they have to be to get the Cat and Mouse PEC points? Cause Ive ganked people that were literally standing right on top of the LKP, and I've ganked people 30 yards away. Doesnt seem to make a difference :(

Lunchbox

Banned
holy shit the last stand master achievement is probably one of the hardest achievements i got

still cant finish 1-20 without dieing though

I don't have a bunch of the weapons yet I played through the entire campaign looking for them the weapons I lacked and never came across them. I come across them in Deniable Ops but they still don't unlock for Weapon Caches. Do I have to do something to unlock them?

the music OWNS in this game

I agree. I did not expect the soundtrack to blow me away like it did.

whatevermort said:
I'm just starting the
White Box
, and so far it's been really fun to play, but the narrative has been a complete clusterfuck. It's one of the messiest stories I've seen in ages, with these pointless and confused flashbacks and flashforwards. To tie this sort of shambles together requires really solid writing, and, well...

Agreed. I've stopped caring about the story. It's my fault I guess for only playing the original, because I don't know who any of these characters are. I just think they missed a huge opportunity with the story. The Taken/Bourne/Kill Bill premise sounded awesome the way they marketed the story, but after one level it devolves into standard Tom Clancy terrorist fare.

RedStep

dslgunstar said:
How close or far do they have to be to get the Cat and Mouse PEC points? Cause Ive ganked people that were literally standing right on top of the LKP, and I've ganked people 30 yards away. Doesnt seem to make a difference :(

My understanding is that YOU have to be 10 meters away. I don't think it matters where the target is.

anyone want to co-op story? I keep getting paired up with 12 year olds that just run around and try to disarm guys constantly. It's getting annoying. I'd like to get some progress in the co-op story.

PS: I have a Infiltration mode code that I won't be using since I already bought it on uPlay. If anyone would like it, shoot me a PM.

LiK

short game but fairly satisfying. a lot easier than the prequels but the story is pretty good and i liked the different ways to tackle an area. only a few choke points caused me some trouble.

Dabanton

Well this is a very fun game.

Levels are very interesting i find my self restarting checkpoints just to see the different ways i can handle situations.

Beat the game. Neat little campaign...soloing against mobs with Ironside voicework and an interesting plot held my attention but taking advantage of broken A.I in coop sucks the fun out of the game.

I can't imagine paying 60 for the game...which I almost did solely for the sake of the Ghost Recon beta.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Smokey said:
Damn only about 1,000 posts for this game in the official thread?

Fail.

It doesn't help that they took out Spy vs Merc. It also doesn't help that any hype that I had for the game has pretty much gone over the years.

If it came out in 2006 like it was planned to do, I'd of been Day One. Now? I'll wait for a price drop. It isn't hugely important to me other than seeing how
Sarah's killer
pans out.

Loxley

I've been running through Deniable Ops solo (yes, on Rookie :p) and it's surprisingly fun :D And it's actually making me want to play through the campaign again, since I'm learning all sorts of new tactics that I know could have served me very well on my first playthrough. I've learned to not bother saving Mark & Execute for a rainy day, and to just go for it as soon it's available. Since, in the end, if I can take out at least two people with it, then there will be two less people to worry about while I lurk around to get my next stealth kill.

The Five-Seven + Silenced UMP with Flashbangs and Remote Cameras have pretty been my setup throughout the four levels I've completed thus far, a very solid loadout :)

In fact, Deniable Ops actually makes me wish the game had a theater mode, I'd love to watch the different ways people have gotten through various levels or watch some speed-runs. I'd really be curious to see if someone could manage to make it through one of the later levels by literally running through it without stopping taking everyone out along the way, chaining stealth atttacks with M&E until it's finished a'la Bourne tactics :D

TheFreshPrince

Just finished...

I really enjoyed the parts when there were fewer enemies. In those situations, you could use the combo of stealth and action, and really tackle an area.

With some of the later areas,
White House
in particular, there were far too many enemies, and it became a full on action game. Kind of hard to emphasize stealth when there are 10 guys in a room with machine guns.

Overall, I thought it was solid, but I felt it treaded the line between stealth and action, and ultimately didn't go far enough in either direction. Some really cool set pieces and interesting environments, but the shooting/running was easy enough that in most situations, it paid off to just start firing away. Story started off promising, but really was too up and down, and ended on such a generic/predictable note.

The game was much more fun in the stealthy bits, and I always felt bad about running and gunning. My main complaint with SC is that I always feel like I'm doing it wrong, even when I'm advancing with great success. Doesn't seem like guilt is a great game mechanic.

elektrixx

Banned
Just finished it. Pretty damn action-packed, and a very slick presentation.

Is there a way we can get the USB stick content? We didn't get a USB stick in our LCE, but I'd like all that content.

Think I'm going to start my Campaign run on Realistic today. Ran through all the Hunter maps yesterday. Really enjoying this. More than any other Splinter Cell.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Any respectable EU time zone GAFfer want to do some co-op? Finding someone who doesn't just run n gun via matchmaking is nigh impossile :). GT Tunesmith

Every time I've tried to use remote mines in Deniable Ops I haven't been able to find the detonator - am I missing something? I'm usually under duress when I'm tossing them out so I'm not totally sure what's happening but I can't seem to set them off.

Loxley

BigKaboom2 said:
Every time I've tried to use remote mines in Deniable Ops I haven't been able to find the detonator - am I missing something? I'm usually under duress when I'm tossing them out so I'm not totally sure what's happening but I can't seem to set them off.

X throws the mines out, press X again to detonate them :) Normally it defaults automatically to the detonator after you throw one out, so if you're scrolling through your secondaries trying to "find" the detonator, that may be why it's not working.

Ok so it's not the same as single player and you can't throw out multiple mines at once? Maybe I did detonate them and somehow didn't notice.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Smokey said:
What is UPlay?

I have the game rented from Gamefly so no manual, but I keep seeing this feature being mentioned?
UPlay are points you earn playing Ubisoft games when you sign up at www.ubisoft.com while having your 360 synced up. It's kind of neat. You can use the points to purchase weapons and uniforms right now. You earn the points by completing certain actions in the games. Think of it a bit like achievements where you actually earn something.

Nearly finished now: when this is good it's very, very, good; but when it's bad it's horrid. There are moments where you feel incredible, prowling the darkness, really working out how to stalk your prey, and it all works together to make you feel incredibly powerful. I enjoyed the car park, for example; that worked well, I must say. But then you come across parts like
the chuffing helicopter bit
where you have waves and waves of machine gun people, and stealth goes out of the window. The game seems to spend it's life teaching you to be really stealthy, to play the game a certain way; and then it just throws that out the window in favour of gameplay that, frankly, the mechanics don't comfortably allow.

And the story! I said yesterday that the story was shabby and badly told, and Jesus H, it doesn't get better. It's a complete mess, with a total disregard for character motivations, narrative cohesion, and that ruddy super-exposition voiceover is doing my nut. The ridiculous way that the guards speak constantly is idiotic, as well. I get that the game wanted to let you know where they are, but there must have been a better way, surely?

I'm still enjoying it; as I say, when it's good, it's a seriously brilliant game. It's just that it's not that good very often, unfortunately. I'm tempted to play the co-op campaign, but I only really like co-op with friends, and I'm wary of telling any of them to buy the main game, frankly. Pity.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
All I can say is FUCK CO-OP (story).

Bad enough that you have the shitty "OMG you were detected now you have to restart the game" missions, but that ending? God, I was playing on easy and I still swore so much at the screen.

I suppose the epilogue -
the Double Dragon homage
was kind of funny, but god, I'm never playing that ever again.

Is the single player as frustrating?

firehawk12 said:
All I can say is FUCK CO-OP (story).

Bad enough that you have the shitty "OMG you were detected now you have to restart the game" missions, but that ending? God, I was playing on easy and I still swore so much at the screen.

I suppose the epilogue -
the Double Dragon homage
was kind of funny, but god, I'm never playing that ever again.

Is the single player as frustrating?

Wow, the Co-op was amazing and not frustrating when I went through it on realistic, a lot of fun. I don't know how you got so angry with it on easy.

Pooya

firehawk12 said:
Who thought it was a good idea to make Gears of War with a Splinter Cell skin? Man.
Same people who thought it was a good idea to make Gears of War with Rainbows Six skin:lol . the game is very fun though, I really like deniable ops and co-op. the story was pretty good too but yes you can play it like a shooter if you want even on realistic, it's a lot more fun and harder to be stealthy in this game. You can just hide and shoot everybody in the head, change position and repeat. It's more satisfying to get pass through lots of enemies without being seen and you can do that in some levels but most of the times shooting everybody is a lot easier.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CrazedArabMan said:
Wow, the Co-op was amazing and not frustrating when I went through it on realistic, a lot of fun. I don't know how you got so angry with it on easy.

Well, playing with randoms on the stealth missions was a pain... and then the last thing you do in the game? I had to do that over 30 times because something would go wrong - either the game would bug out or some other thing would break.

Maybe you're supposed to play Co-op later on after you upgrade your stuff to make it easier, but it was a total pain in the ass for me.

mYm|17|

I thought SP on Realistic wasn't that hard barring a few places, but once I died a few times, I figured out what to do.

Co-op is pretty damn awesome though. Dual mark and execute is so good

firehawk12 said:
Well, playing with randoms on the stealth missions was a pain... and then the last thing you do in the game? I had to do that over 30 times because something would go wrong - either the game would bug out or some other thing would break.

Maybe you're supposed to play Co-op later on after you upgrade your stuff to make it easier, but it was a total pain in the ass for me.

Co-op in all of its forms is by far the best part of the game for me. I don't really see how your experience will go anywhere but down if you're not enjoying it.

Although you did say you played with randoms so IDK. All my co-op has been with a friend.

firehawk12 said:

Co-op was the first thing I played, but I played with someone I know, I don't know how you could do it with randoms, seems to much like a pain to me.

JambiBum

BigKaboom2 said:
Ok so it's not the same as single player and you can't throw out multiple mines at once? Maybe I did detonate them and somehow didn't notice.

You can throw out multiple mines at once. You just have to reselect them in your gadget menu. After your first throw it will go to the detonator, but you don't have to detonate it. You can just scroll back over and throw more mines if you want.

TripOpt55

I have a question. I want to start a new Realistic run and want to make sure I get the achievement. Do I just start it by choosing the first scene in scene select on Realistic? I don't see a new game option.

frontieruk

CloakedPuppet said:
Hey - fair enough. Perhaps my knee jerk reaction to his post could have been rethought.

I don't have a problem with people not liking the game. At the same time, I couldn't help respond to his post because it had zero points to illustrate why he felt the way he did. He could have very easily just been in a bad mood while playing it - or he was tired or...whatever. Point being - it irks me when people knock a game but don't back it up with anything. Especially when a game is as good as this one is.

No probs, I understand your point that he didn't really say why he didn't like it, as I put in the post you were replying too it was a knee jerk reaction from me (god bless the interwebs) but at least you're reasonable to others opinions, some posters here aren't...

Just so Chrange can have my opinion now I've cleared the game (you know as an opinion can't be formed from a demo).

Played through on realistic took me a little over 9hrs, I'll take back my claim of it's like gears, and change it to it reminded me more of Army of Two, the LKP feature reminded me of setting the AI partner to lay down covering fire to make the enemies more interested in it, the LKP seemed to take to much priority to the AI so it was easier to slip around them, the last couple levels also seemed devoid of the same attention the earlier ones had, seeming to be more ground based with few if any options to get above or below the enemies as if the design was to force you into cover -> kill -> move to cover; as the abilty to slink into the shadows disappeared with the introduction of the more equipped agents.

7/10 or 3/5 would be a fair score to me for the SP.

Not really got into the co-op as of yet, but had a few plays of Hunter which as a revision of the RB6 terrorist hunt I'm loving.

ToyMachine228 said:
Definitely playing again. Probably starting tomorrow. I'm pissed I don't have anyone to play Co-Op with. None of my friends have picked it up.

Looking for some friendly Gaffers to play some SC:C co-op?
Finding scanning thorugh this threada bit daunting? Well post here in the Conviction thread of Co-op is mind-blowingly good :)

Everyone whose tag has been mentioned has been added, if the interest is there I'll set some map/game/time challenges.

Finished the single player on Realistic, but never got the achievement. I don't care about the points, but I do like the acknowledgement that I did something.

I enjoyed the game, but there's no way I'd describe it as a stealth title. It is an action game with stealth in it. There were some great sequences and the only frustrating part I found was very near the end
after Sam shoots the vice President in his knees, that was a lot of guards between that point and the next check point.

Played the first co-op mission with a friend. So far so good, having two players to confuse the AI is a lot of fun. Playing on Realistic in co-op too.

Dabanton

Darkmakaimura said:
UPlay are points you earn playing Ubisoft games when you sign up at www.ubisoft.com while having your 360 synced up. It's kind of neat. You can use the points to purchase weapons and uniforms right now. You earn the points by completing certain actions in the games. Think of it a bit like achievements where you actually earn something.

Another great thing is the points you earn work cross platform i had loads of points from playing AC2 on PS3 which i spent on friday in Conviction.

lantus

I'm kind of surprised to see no one on my friends list playing this game, I thought it was going to reach a lot of people, maybe in the long run I suppose.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I really shouldn't be reading this thread considering I'm one of those PC gamer schmucks. I want to play this now, why does Ubi hate me :(

the end of chapter 8 hehehe pretty awesome

lantus said:
I'm kind of surprised to see no one on my friends list playing this game, I thought it was going to reach a lot of people, maybe in the long run I suppose.

same. i feel like this game is going to flop compared to previous SC's

Najaf

When playing through co-op with a stranger, the first few times I got to the dual breach doors I just broke out the crow bar. We would then bust through the door and be looking at 6+ guys staring at us. I would then think to myself, 'I guess we were supposed to use the ol' under the door mark move there, huh?'

So I started becoming more aware, and you would think I was lying, but every single time we came up to one of those doors in the future that I actually thought to look under, there was nobody. Because my patient co-op partner had no mic, and was always hovering right over me as I checked the next room out, I became a little conscious of this. So, the next one we come to I break out the crowbar without looking, and sure enough; 6+ guys looking us in the face.

Not once, through the entire co-op campaign did we do the whole take down a whole room after dual breaching with mark and execute sexiness. Every time I checked, there was just a hallway. Every time I didn't for the most part, it was a room full of guys. We would go sloppy style on them with our alternate automatic weapons and make a real mess of things. The odds played out pretty strange there for sure.

Top Bottom