• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

JambiBum said:
If you spare reed he laughs maniacally at you and then Grim comes over and shoots him in the chest. Sam says that that didn't need to happen and Grim disagrees. Sam says that he is done but then Grim asks for his help dealing with the other threat. The one that starts with a M. Can't remember the name. Then it cuts to the Coste thing.

Yeah that's what I figured.
Kind of like the the Quantum organization in the new 007 movies.
Either way, I'm fucking psyched about Conviction and I'm really looking forward to the next Splinter Cell now.

Did a whole co-op run with some random dude, kept the mood light by evasive rolling everywhere and continually bashing doors and repeatedly kicking the ones that couldn't be bashed. :lol Heck of an ending.

Najaf

BigKaboom2 said:
Did a whole co-op run with some random dude, kept the mood light by evasive rolling everywhere and continually bashing doors and repeatedly kicking the ones that couldn't be bashed. :lol Heck of an ending.

co-op spoiler ahead
Who won in the end?

Najaf

BigKaboom2 said:
Hid behind a box for like a minute until he came by and I KO'd him. :lol

Good man.
I also did co-op with a stranger. I, like an idiot, ran ahead jumping from cover to cover, only to have him loop around from upstairs and one shot me in the back.

Najaf said:
Good man.
I also did co-op with a stranger. I, like an idiot, ran ahead jumping from cover to cover, only to have him loop around from upstairs and one shot me in the back.
I kind of want to know what the rest of the area was like - I barely moved!

Najaf

BigKaboom2 said:
I kind of want to know what the rest of the area was like - I barely moved!

Just a bunch of large stowage crates on the first floor. I don't know about the second. Then again, I did not do too much looking either. I wish it was easier to give that mission another go. You need to at least play through the last stage from the point where you both need to push all those door opening buttons on each side.

So far I'm having fun with this. Some of the presentation is more than a little rough, especially the cutscenes. Story is a kind of weak so far. The whole revenge angle could be a lot better, instead it's more of the same Tom Clancy mumbo jumbo. I can see this appealing to more action fans than stealth fans.

Chrange

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
So far I'm having fun with this. Some of the presentation is more than a little rough, especially the cutscenes. Story is a kind of weak so far. The whole revenge angle could be a lot better, instead it's more of the same Tom Clancy mumbo jumbo. I can see this appealing to more action fans than stealth fans.
I thought the presentation was good - particularly the 'camera' cuts during cutscenes. Good use of depth of field without overusing it like some games do as well.

Finished the singleplayer campaign yesterday, played on realistic and enjoyed it enough that I will probably run thru it again pretty soon, to try a more non-lethal approach. While most that have chimed in so far have shitted on the story, I thought it was pretty solid, in particular I really liked the way the flashbacks and flashforwards were handled. My only gripe was that I thought the game could have used a few more chapters (2 or 3) to really flesh out some of the antagonists and build more tension.

Played a good amount of Hunter and Infiltration so far and the Deniable Ops modes have exceeded my expectations. Waiting for some of my friends to pick this up to play the coop campaign. Looking forward to see how Ubi handles the DLC, as they have been hit or miss with the Clancy games this gen. I would like another Coop campaign and another 4 or 5 maps for Hunter and Infiltration but im not holding my breath.

All in all, Im happy with the purchase, just wish they could have fit Spies vs Mercs into the package...

squicken

MomoPufflet said:
Why can't I connect to this shitty UPlay thing? Are the servers not working or something?

I had trouble connecting as well. I don't know if it's related, but after I downloaded the gun from the extras menu, I haven't had any problems since.

Played the first two coop missions tonight. Definitely a little different than campaign. Playing with someone else definitely speeds you up, as I'm a pretty deliberate player otherwise.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Co-op is so damn fun, even when you just screw around. Me and my friend just running through a level with a deagle and shotgun, I LOVE the sound they gave the deagle. Dual mark and executes with that is so awesome.

Raiden

Banned
Only 4 chapters/levels completed in the game, but it is pretty clear to me that Chaos Theory is still the king. I actually expected more from Montreal.

Graphics seem pretty stale to me, and thats not really a thing i was used to from former Splinter Cell games. I havent played Double Agent though.

Also stealth is non existant or functional, you can just kill anything and easy(and yes i am playing on realistic)

Voice acting is pretty sweet though.

Firestorm

I'm finding the game a little frustrating. Finished four levels so far and the checkpoints seemed really sparse in the second and third chapters x.x I need to finish this game quickly before the return period is up. Hopefully will get a chance to check out co-op.

Dear Ubisoft,

Times not release games: FINALS WEEK

xoxo,
University Students

Ten-Song

I've played a metric fuck ton of Hunter these last few days. Kind of breezed through a lot of the maps, so me and my buddy decided to play on realistic difficulty instead last night. Doesn't seem super extra challenging or anything, and if anything, it feels more like normal mode to me than normal mode. After just a few rounds on that difficulty I realized that normal sucks and realistic is way better.

Which I guess means I should run through the campaign on realistic now as well...

Also, ever since discovering I could bash wooden doors in, I cannot help myself but to do it every time. It's caused many problems in some rooms, but as soon as I see a wooden door that's closed, I just run straight for it to bash the thing in. I have no idea why I do this but I cannot stop. :lol

JambiBum

Ten-Song said:
I've played a metric fuck ton of Hunter these last few days. Kind of breezed through a lot of the maps, so me and my buddy decided to play on realistic difficulty instead last night. Doesn't seem super extra challenging or anything, and if anything, it feels more like normal mode to me than normal mode. After just a few rounds on that difficulty I realized that normal sucks and realistic is way better.

Which I guess means I should run through the campaign on realistic now as well...

Also, ever since discovering I could bash wooden doors in, I cannot help myself but to do it every time. It's caused many problems in some rooms, but as soon as I see a wooden door that's closed, I just run straight for it to bash the thing in. I have no idea why I do this but I cannot stop. :lol

Whenever my buddy and I clear out an area in Hunter we just run around and bash all the doors. We will just try to bash into each other or see who can slide tackle the other one first.

Ten-Song

JambiBum said:
Whenever my buddy and I clear out an area in Hunter we just run around and bash all the doors. We will just try to bash into each other or see who can slide tackle the other one first.

I've had that happen a couple of times as well. :lol

Most of my greifing in co-op usually comes from sticky cams or remote mines though. Those things are absolutely amazing. Sticky cams even more so, because I'll make the little song play before blowing them up in my friend's face.

There's also playing catch with enemies when you both have human shields.

Trying out the Deniable Ops mode now and holy crap is it awesome.

I was talking to a friend and I randomly thought: Conviction and Deniable Ops, the way it's all played, would make a pretty awesome Die Hard game. :lol

The worst co-op game I've played this gen by a long shot so far. My friend and I have completely given up on it...it's just boring to the extreme. Absolutely no originality involved whatsoever.

I'm only a level or two into campaign and am enjoying that thus far though.

S1kkZ

Gooster said:
Trying out the Deniable Ops mode now and holy crap is it awesome.

I was talking to a friend and I randomly thought: Conviction and Deniable Ops, the way it's all played, would make a pretty awesome Die Hard game. :lol
do it ubisoft! DO IT!

my favourite moment in the campaign was
after the emp goes off and you see the scared people walking around the streets. they scream, there scared, people die, the desperate guy that wants to save his burning girlfriend in the car...
i have never seen something like that before in a game like this. this is how you should show the effects of a terror attack, not that bullshit in cod mw2.

Firestorm said:
I'm finding the game a little frustrating. Finished four levels so far and the checkpoints seemed really sparse in the second and third chapters x.x I need to finish this game quickly before the return period is up. Hopefully will get a chance to check out co-op.

Dear Ubisoft,

Times not release games: FINALS WEEK

xoxo,
University Students

Tell me about it. Atleast the last week of April would have been helpful.

diss

Banned
The credit sequence in this game is epic.

Note to all: after the music, there's a bit of random dialogue and then it's just more credits in silence for 15 minutes. Go make a sandwich or something.

Ten-Song said:

check out Infiltration Mode if you need more of a challenge, you have to unlock it in Uplay

-more cameras and turret guns
-lots of infra-red laser grids
-you fail if detected
-you fail if enemies hear an explosion

EDIT: sent friend reqs to everyone who listed their gamertags in this thread, hit me up whenever for some Deniable Ops

Played the first couple of levels, found it really difficult to know where shadow boundaries were. I'd be in darkness, take a step forward and be in the same shadow, but now the colour returns to the screen and enemies could see me. A couple of times I've ran to a dark corner, only to find that it's not dark enough to hide in. Maybe I should re-calibrate my brightness or something.

I'm playing on realistic, and intended to play it stealthy, but the above problem has led to me Rambo-ing it a few times. I was very disappointed when at the end of the first real mission
mansion
I was able to draw all the guards away from my target and grab him, only to find that the level doesn't end until you've eliminated all the enemies in the room.

There was also an incident near the end of the
military hanger level, where Sam disables the satellite system(I think) and the lights come on and the whole place goes on alert. Well, I tried a couple of times to sneak my way out, I also tried to Rambo it, but kept dying due to the number of enemies being able to flank me. So in the end I just ran straight at them, threw an EMP grenade and sprinted right past them all, until Sam started walking and Grimm told me I couldn't get my expected phone call

I'm sticking with it, but the game really isn't grabbing me the way I want it to. Controls are still frustrating too. Hopefully everything should click once I'm back to it.

Sloane

Banned
Just started playing and... I can't hide bodies anymore? The fuck? :lol

Dead Man Typing said:
Played the first couple of levels, found it really difficult to know where shadow boundaries were. I'd be in darkness, take a step forward and be in the same shadow, but now the colour returns to the screen and enemies could see me.
Same here.

Daft_Cat

Haven't touched either campaign yet..but I love the multiplayer. Deniable Ops is a heck of a lot better than Double Agent's Spy vs. Merc (I still would have loved a Chaos Theory style of Spy vs Merc though).

I'm just starting the
White Box
, and so far it's been really fun to play, but the narrative has been a complete clusterfuck. It's one of the messiest stories I've seen in ages, with these pointless and confused flashbacks and flashforwards. To tie this sort of shambles together requires really solid writing, and, well...

Got this yesterday and played the heck out of it last night. I'm impressed.

It still "feels" splinter cell to me, even with the massive changes as well. The level where you
attack the 3rd echelon offices
was super fun, with a fantastic intro.

Some of the level variety spices things up as well with the things they make you do,
defending yourself in the cafe, the iraq level

I'm shocked really, as I didn't expect the game to be this good, I though the changes could ruin it, and hated double agent, so didn't have the highest of hopes, but this more "bourne" style stealth with action is very, very nice.

The story however is terribly brushed over, and a bit difficult to follow. So many names, characters introduced for a split second then never really seen again, or mentioned. If you're not really paying attention, you really will have no idea exactly what the hell is going on.

Dead Man Typing said:
Played the first couple of levels, found it really difficult to know where shadow boundaries were. I'd be in darkness, take a step forward and be in the same shadow, but now the colour returns to the screen and enemies could see me. A couple of times I've ran to a dark corner, only to find that it's not dark enough to hide in. Maybe I should re-calibrate my brightness or something.

I'm playing on realistic, and intended to play it stealthy, but the above problem has led to me Rambo-ing it a few times. I was very disappointed when at the end of the first real mission
mansion
I was able to draw all the guards away from my target and grab him, only to find that the level doesn't end until you've eliminated all the enemies in the room.

There was also an incident near the end of the
military hanger level, where Sam disables the satellite system(I think) and the lights come on and the whole place goes on alert. Well, I tried a couple of times to sneak my way out, I also tried to Rambo it, but kept dying due to the number of enemies being able to flank me. So in the end I just ran straight at them, threw an EMP grenade and sprinted right past them all, until Sam started walking and Grimm told me I couldn't get my expected phone call

I'm sticking with it, but the game really isn't grabbing me the way I want it to. Controls are still frustrating too. Hopefully everything should click once I'm back to it.
I agree that the shadow element is annoying and inefficient. its annoying to have the screen constantly darkening...ok, now I'm in a shadow, but I can't see things as clearly as I would like because the whole screen is black and gray. Then I run to shadows that are too small or just don't want to cover me for some reason.

I miss hiding bodies. This game isn't stealthy enough, its too much action, fighting and chaos and I keep playing it only getting more disappointed. It may be easier for gamers to pick up and play, but I see little point in me trying to be sneaky when a guard is going to walk by a body, radio that I'm there and have hell break loose anyway, causing me to have to pick everyone off. And then there's all the emp-ing.

I would probably give this a 7.0.

kaskade

So I beat the story mode and I really enjoyed it. The story was pretty good. Nothing amazing but much more than I felt any other SC game offered. I can't even remember anything about the story in the past games now that I think about it.

I also played some Hunter mode and that was really fun. I'm going to need to find a co-op buddy though.

dslgunstar said:
Ok seriously, how in the name of all that is fucking holy do you level up the 'Cat and Mouse' and 'Last Known Position' PEC challenges?

I have killed guys walking toward the ghost outline from three feet away from it, and NOTHING.

I've played through the entire game twice already and have not earned a single one. I should have done it by accident by now.

I guess I'll just quote myself until anyone responds to the question. :p

Seriously, has anyone found a good way or place to wrack up Cat and Mouse PEC?

JambiBum

dslgunstar said:
I guess I'll just quote myself until anyone responds to the question. :p

Seriously, has anyone found a good way or place to wrack up Cat and Mouse PEC?

I got them by just playing last stand and hunter really. More enemies in a condensed area and such. For cat and mouse you just have to get them to chase after your LKP and then flank around them while they are looking in the area. It takes a while though. Sometimes you will rack them up while not even noticing you are until you complete the challenge.

JambiBum said:
I got them by just playing last stand and hunter really. More enemies in a condensed area and such. For cat and mouse you just have to get them to chase after your LKP and then flank around them while they are looking in the area. It takes a while though. Sometimes you will rack them up while not even noticing you are until you complete the challenge.

Ok cool. And if I take a guy out while he's investigating my partner's LKP, does that count too? Or does it have to be my own?

JambiBum

dslgunstar said:
Ok cool. And if I take a guy out while he's investigating my partner's LKP, does that count too? Or does it have to be my own?
I don't know about that. I just know that I got it earlier today :lol. Last stand on realistic is one of the hardest things to make it through without dying though. We made it to wave 14 before we finally died :(. Gonna have to find a level that has good cover and ambush areas.

Ten-Song

TheVisualizer said:
check out Infiltration Mode if you need more of a challenge, you have to unlock it in Uplay

-more cameras and turret guns
-lots of infra-red laser grids
-you fail if detected
-you fail if enemies hear an explosion

Yeah, I've been meaning to try that mode out, as I really like to try and be as sneaky as I can in the maps.

Top Bottom