• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Finally got my Amazon pre-order bonus code. What a disappointment to know that you can use Uplay points to unlock Infiltration mode. That was a shitty pre-order bonus.

Rad Agast

Just finished the
Iraq rescue mission
. It's kinda fun but I miss all the gadgets you get to fool around with in the older games. I hope we get to use some stuff like that later in the game.

Mark and execute makes the game too easy (playing on Normal). I can see why they implemented it but I think that I'll stop using it once I get all the upgrade points related to it.

Pooya

Rad Agast said:
Just finished the
Iraq rescue mission
. It's kinda fun but I miss all the gadgets you get to fool around with in the older games. I hope we get to use some stuff like that later in the game.
you get to use some gadgets like sticky cams, portable EMP, remote mines etc, but they are not necessary at all. play the game on realistic if you can, it's not very hard, I haven't played the game on lower difficulties but judging by the realistic they must be walk in the park, only a specific level got ridiculously frustrating on realistic and that was because of the weird AI.

Rad Agast

miladesn said:
you get to use some gadgets like sticky cams, portable EMP, remote mines etc, but they are not necessary at all. play the game on realistic if you can, it's not very hard, I haven't played the game on lower difficulties but judging by the realistic they must be walk in the park, only a specific level got ridiculously frustrating on realistic and that was because of the weird AI.

Yeah, I'm stopping for today but will spend more time with it over the weekend. I might just start a new game on realistic tomorrow.

miladesn said:
only a specific level got ridiculously frustrating on realistic and that was because of the weird AI.
What level was this? I'm trying to remember ever getting truly frustrated on Realistic, and I can only think of the
airport
level. just had a tough time trying to be ultra stealthy in that stage. I wasn't going to stand for Sam Fisher acting like Rambo. :D

Curufinwe

miladesn said:
Eurogamer gave MGS4 8/10 FFS :lol .

Turns out they're not biased against PS3-exclusives, they're actually biased against stealth-action games that are exclusives on either the PS3 or the 360. :D

Being serious; as someone who hasn't played Conviction at all yet, I feel like I know a lot more about how it plays after reading the EG review, and the 7/10 score would not put me off buying it.

Started playing last night, been playing on and off all night while studying for my Final tomorrow. Last exam and I am done, will be in for some Co-op action after that.

Game is pretty short, campaign ain't all that impressive, it was alright. Haven't played any kind of Co-op yet, so can't comment on that one.

Lothars

I finally picked it up today so once I get home I will play it does anyone know how to open up the usb key included?

U2NUMB

Just got my copy from that Dell.com sale ($39.99) let this be a lesson to anyone buying from Dell.. always pick the free shipping.. Got it today where they were saying the delivery date would be the 26th UNLESS I paid 7 bucks to have it by today.. so that is just a line they use.

Anyways.. looking forward to playing the game tonight!

burgerdog

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Finally got my Amazon pre-order bonus code. What a disappointment to know that you can use Uplay points to unlock Infiltration mode. That was a shitty pre-order bonus.

Nah, I'd rather save my uplay points and hopefully spend them on something that you can't get any other way.

game rocks. stealth still plays a huge role and it's worth playing even if you are bitter about the direction the series has taken. must buy if you also plan on playing coop in addition to the sp campaign.

burgerdog said:
Nah, I'd rather save my uplay points and hopefully spend them on something that you can't get any other way.

I totally agree, I was just a bit disappointed to know they were offering it. I suppose that's the way it is with these pre-order bonuses anymore.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Started playing this last night, up to
planting C4 charges to take out power in Third Echelon
. I'm glad they veered away from the open world design they had going in 2007 because the follow & chase sequences have probably been the weakest parts of the game so far. The weapon upgrade system and all the gadgets are cool. Still got Chaos Theory for Xbox in plastic that I'll play after this. I guess from the sounds of it that game is still the best. Double Agent on 360 was the only game I finished in the series so far because the save point system cut down on the trial and error.

If anybody wants to do co-op stuff tonight my GT is Fahrenhype.

Plasma

Banned
Just finished it and the credits are still rolling (And have been for ages now), thought it was a good game, reminded me a lot of how the stealth in Arkham Asylum works where you go into rooms and stealth take people out.

Will move onto coop tommorow when my coop buddy (hopefully) picks up the game.

Oh and I dunno if anyone has said yet but the figure that comes with the EU limited edition is pretty poorly painted ): I've left it in the box for now.

DrBo42

I haven't been matched with a single person that knows how to play Infiltration. If you have an automatic machine gun on your back that isn't silenced, what the fuck are you doing playing Infiltration? I had one guy go afk at the beginning of a level, I took out all but 2 remaining guys, he comes back and trips a laser then quits. What did I do to deserve this?

masterkajo

I wasn't sure if I should get this game because I only played the very first Splinter Cell on Gamecube. But I really like the demo and this game is as close as it gets to be Jack Bauer all on your own... even more so than 24-the game.

But what put me over the edge was the coop mode (4-6 hours of stealthy fun I hope) and the recent price drop at amazon.co.uk. I paid £30 for the normal XBox 360 edition. Not bad when considering it costs €70 where I live.

Anyway, looking forward to be aggresivly sneaking my way into the [WARNING: possible location spoiler]
White House

JambiBum

DrBo42 said:
I haven't been matched with a single person that knows how to play Infiltration. If you have an automatic machine gun on your back that isn't silenced, what the fuck are you doing playing Infiltration? I had one guy go afk at the beginning of a level, I took out all but 2 remaining guys, he comes back and trips a laser then quits. What did I do to deserve this?

Not have any friends and rely on the joyous world of the XBL random stranger community.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The story co-op mode in Deniable Ops is a lot of fun! I almost like the level design better for the story mode co-op then for the single-player game. Too bad it's not available in single player.

BTW, does the co-op story mode require online access or can you play it without an Internet connection using split-screen or system link?

Loving the co-op, wasnt crazy about the single-player.

Has anyone found a way to make it through a level without getting noticed AND without killing anyone? Like, for 100% 'I was never there' plausible deniability? Cause I sure as hell cant (on Realistic).

I dont mind them giving Sam some effective offensive techniques. In fact Im happy they did, because that opens new options should you get noticed. Instead of trial-and-error, the situation evolves, and Sam can protect himself instead of being a fragile wuss.

But they didnt have to put that in at the expense of the totally stealthy approach. :(

DrBo42 said:

Dude, when I buy this tomorrow, we should play. I'll do my best not to be a useless cunt.

dslgunstar said:
Loving the co-op, wasnt crazy about the single-player.

Has anyone found a way to make it through a level without getting noticed AND without killing anyone? Like, for 100% 'I was never there' plausible deniability? Cause I sure as hell cant (on Realistic).

I dont mind them giving Sam some effective offensive techniques. In fact Im happy they did, because that opens new options should you get noticed. Instead of trial-and-error, the situation evolves, and Sam can protect himself instead of being a fragile wuss.

But they didnt have to put that in at the expense of the totally stealthy approach. :(

I'm hoping the next SC will use all of the new abilities but incorporate much more emphasis on stealth. Conviction is BARELY too actiony, but Ubi is definitely on the right track, just need to tip the scales slightly in the other direction and tone down the "LOL YOURE JASON BOURNE FUCK PEOPLE UP".

Net_Wrecker said:
Am I blind and/or dumb? How is everyone unlocking Infiltration? Through the website?

Sign into Uplay. If you've played through a few missions, chances are you have enough points to unlock it with upoints or whatever they're called.

I unlocked the Scar-H first though :p

DrBo42

Net_Wrecker said:
Am I blind and/or dumb? How is everyone unlocking Infiltration? Through the website?
You can unlock it via Uplay. You get points for doing certain things within the game so it doesn't cost anything. I do however have an unlock code for it via Amazon if anyone wants it.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Dude, when I buy this tomorrow, we should play. I'll do my best not to be a useless cunt.
Yeah, just give me a shout. Gamertag: DrBo

lantus

Net_Wrecker said:

Amazon's pre-order bonus was a code to unlock Infiltration early. You can also unlock it in Uplay if you already had enough points

kaskade

I'm still loving the game. It really still is a stealth game. They just sped it up a bit and streamlined some things. Some people may hate the new direction but I love it. I haven't even tried out any of the co-op stuff yet.

Rubezh

For people who already own the game: is it worth buying purely for the co-op/multiplayer? I'm interested in playing this online but I'm concerned that reviews say the multiplayer (and singleplayer) and campaigns are rather short. From what I've heard, Deniable Ops sounds like MW2's Spec Ops and I didn't enjoy that much at all. The experience system is quite cool, similar to R6V in the videos.

comrade

DrBo42 said:
You can unlock it via Uplay. You get points for doing certain things within the game so it doesn't cost anything. I do however have an unlock code for it via Amazon if anyone wants it.

Yeah, just give me a shout. Gamertag: DrBo
I'll take that code if you still have it. I'm going to add you as well.

Pooya

DJ Lushious said:
What level was this? I'm trying to remember ever getting truly frustrated on Realistic, and I can only think of the
airport
level. just had a tough time trying to be ultra stealthy in that stage. I wasn't going to stand for Sam Fisher acting like Rambo. :D
it was White House garden for me, the last part that you are near the building with lots of enemies looking for Sam, got really annoying, enemy movement was a bit weird, they turn suddenly and detect you and kill you fast

S1kkZ

finished it today, took me about 7 hours on normal. the best splinter cell after chaos theory.
the campaign has great pacing and the story is much better this time.
the game is still very stealthy, the only big differrence is that you kill everyone. this is still a stealth game and a very good one. (for example: the demo section is much harder in the final game)

only finished 1 co-op mission so far, its pretty good. the co-op doesnt seem like an afterthought, its feels like a stand alone campaign with almost the same production values.

the first level took us 1 hour and there 4 missions total.

great game overall.

Where the hell do you unlock costume 'accessories'? I've bought all the multiplayer outfits, but I dont know where these mysterious 'accessories' lurk...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dslgunstar said:
Where the hell do you unlock costume 'accessories'? I've bought all the multiplayer outfits, but I dont know where these mysterious 'accessories' lurk...

Just upgrade the suit, the 9 upgrades there are the accessories.

Co-op and SP done on realistic, man was the story and the gameplay so much fun, it was well worth every cent, now I have deniable ops left to do.

Ephemeris said:
I can't believe I got taken out at the end of
Co-Op

Mother #@$#%#. From behind, too!

I waited and let my friend come to me, he thought I was downstairs and he ran into a hail of bullets.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Finished the SP. The last few levels were good, but a little too firefight heavy.

Playing Deniable Ops shows how the game should be. All stealth...so good. It sucks that you can't save your progress midway through though.

Ephemeris

CrazedArabMan said:
I waited and let my friend come to me, he thought I was downstairs and he ran into a hail of bullets.
I had a hunch
that my friend was upstairs, but I didn't act on it.
And look what happened.

I was
the Russian
and I literally said wtf? when I saw the message
to terminate me
:lol

alr1ghtstart, we should play sometime.

The best music in the game is when Tobin mixes in haunting clips of Sam's daughter into the music. See the escape from the base, when Grim says the call will have to wait for an example.

Deniable OPS >>>> Single player campaign.

I just finished Mozdok Grounds on my own with 71 stealth kills. I though that level would never end. Took me about 50min.

Would anyone else LOVE a full co-op splinter cell game based around 4 operatives? The entire campaign would be playable with 4 people and the multiplayer modes would still be there as they are in Conviction, plus :

FFA Face-off
2 vs 2 Face-off

and allowing 4 others to play in first-person as enemies in a spies vs mercs gametype.

Imagine the possibilities.

FunkyMunkey said:
Would anyone else LOVE a full co-op splinter cell game based around 4 operatives? The entire campaign would be playable with 4 people and the multiplayer modes would still be there as they are in Conviction, plus :

FFA Face-off
2 vs 2 Face-off

and allowing 4 others to play in first-person as enemies in a spies vs mercs gametype.

Imagine the possibilities.

I'd like a 4v4 adversarial mode, but dropping the FPS. With the type of maneuverability we have now as panthers, I would much rather see 8 of these new soldiers sneaking, and jumping around maps than 4 stuck in first person. I really don't understand how they couldn't even develop ONE team based mode when Face Off is basically a mini version of what could've been. The inevitable Conviction sequel better bring it.

randomwab

Gowans007 said:
UK release today, just snagged this from ASDA for £29, lovley!

I'm tempted at that price. The demo didn't do much for me, but some of the co-op/multiplayer stuff sounds good. Damn, don't know what to do.

Top Bottom