• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

DrBo42

LordPhoque said:
During the
Price Airfield
mission I was very frustrated being unable to hide in this closet I ran into after I was spotted by the guards. So yes :p
I'm not trying to give you shit, just thought that was a hilarious knee-jerk reaction.

comrade

Amory Blaine said:
Am I the only one who can't figure out what the fuck is going on in this game?
838826428_HA7go-L.jpg

Yeah I finished the game and watched the cutscenes intently but still had no idea what was going on. Same with all the other SC games though.

edit: Totally agree with Tycho that SC:C's cover system is the best yet.

eshwaaz

Just beat it for the first time (normal) - it got a bit too gunplay-heavy and some of the checkpointing was frustrating, but for the most part I really enjoyed it a lot. I kept track of my playtimes; the campaign took me 7 hours on the dot. Still about an hour shorter than I ideally would have liked, but it was still a quality experience - I'm going to do a second playthrough for sure.

Looking forward to trying Deniable Ops and co-op as well.

So how many more levels do I have left? I just finished the level that's in the demo. I'm kinda hoping I'm close to the end so I can start over on realistic.

TripOpt55

Just beat it on Realistic. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I was better with the gadgets during this playthrough and that helped in some of the less stealthy sections. I really enjoyed the game a lot. Now I'll have to put some time into the other modes.

Anyone notice that music at the end of the airfield level? It got kind of crazy.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
really liked the game. it's not perfect, but it's a better game than pandora tomorrow and double agent for sure. demo was REALLY misleading... i was really disappointed after the demo but man was the final game so much better. sure i wish there was more stealthy areas, but i got a very decent fill of everything...

sam fisher has turned into jack bauer though ;)

Najaf

I just watched the making of feature and was surprised at how much they put into the CG for promotional purposes. There were some good looking scenes in there. Did they intend to use those in the game; Sam playing the piano etc? Is this what plays if you leave it on the title screen? I remember they did some CG for Double Agent, but it was just an intro video.

lantus

Just beat the single-player, and I really liked it up until the last level when they take away almost all of the different ways to take out dudes and just leaves you entering a room, and a shit load of guys swarming your ass. Especially right after you
secure the Vice President bit.
I died more times in that one sequence than in the entire game, but overall, I am pleased with it. Now time to finally get into co-op. :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dabanton said:
Is it just me or does Sam resemble a slightly older David Beckham? :lol

Young Sam looks remarkably similar to Drake, though less smarmy and more "serious" in his appearance. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought so ?

Najaf

elektrixxx said:
No. It's using "it's" in terms of ownership.

Who's purpose? It's purpose.

I know how they are trying to use the word, but that does not change the fact that it's wrong. You see, that was the correct use of that particular combination of symbols.

Don't take my word for it:
It's

It's is a contraction of "it is" or "it has."

It's time to go.

Do you think it's ready?

I read your article - it's very good.

Do you know where my purse is? It's on the table.

It's been a long time.

Its

Its is the possessive form of "it."

That's an interesting device - what is its purpose?

I saw Les Misérables during its initial run.

This stove has its own timer.

The bird lost some of its feathers.

Where is its head office?

Pooya

Prine said:
Why does this game look so bad?? Almost a generation apart from Assassins Creed 2.

And this game was delayed! WTF!
old Unreal Engine 2.5. although lighting and animations are top notch IMO, everything else is average. Human faces look way better than AC2.

Question:

Are the Last Stand, Hunter, etc. achievements stacked? As in, can I run through a mode on Realistic and still get the achievements for finishing them on Rookie/Normal too?

Salz01

Just started playing this last night. The Black / White effect is just terrible. Also if I just 'Run and Gun' I get the job done much faster than sneaking. Its almost funny. If I just shoot like crazy and then hide for a bit, then all the guards /soldiers come to that last known place where I can just spray my bullets and they go down.

cluto

Gooster said:
Question:

Are the Last Stand, Hunter, etc. achievements stacked? As in, can I run through a mode on Realistic and still get the achievements for finishing them on Rookie/Normal too?
Yes.

Najaf

cluto said:

Good to know.

Also, a friend and I play an alternate version of Face Off. You cannot kill any guards, only each other. If you kill a guard, you lose. So we spend the whole time stalking each other while having to sneak past the AI. It is really satisfying. Of course you can use the distraction gadgets and such. Just an idea for those looking for a more stealth focused competitive mode. It will only work though if you are playing with a friend who is actually going to try and find you, and not sit in a dark corner and wait.

DualX

How does one go about unlocking the "Face-Off" mode? I beat the campaign, and co-op modes. What am I missing?

JambiBum

Najaf said:
Good to know.

Also, a friend and I play an alternate version of Face Off. You cannot kill any guards, only each other. If you kill a guard, you lose. So we spend the whole time stalking each other while having to sneak past the AI. It is really satisfying. Of course you can use the distraction gadgets and such. Just an idea for those looking for a more stealth focused competitive mode. It will only work though if you are playing with a friend who is actually going to try and find you, and not sit in a dark corner and wait.

You can always just turn off the guards. But I can see how the guards can make it more interesting too.

DualX said:
How does one go about unlocking the "Face-Off" mode? I beat the campaign, and co-op modes. What am I missing?

You don't have to unlock the Face Off mode. It's just listed under the deniable ops menu.

DualX

JambiBum said:
You don't have to unlock the Face Off mode. It's just listed under the deniable ops menu.
The only ones that show up are Hunter and Last Stand (had to unlock Infiltration through Uplay). I guess I can go back and check again, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't there when I played it between storylines.

ShogunX

Salz01 said:
Just started playing this last night. The Black / White effect is just terrible. Also if I just 'Run and Gun' I get the job done much faster than sneaking. Its almost funny. If I just shoot like crazy and then hide for a bit, then all the guards /soldiers come to that last known place where I can just spray my bullets and they go down.

Why would you want to play it like that though? I found going through the game on realistic from the off with just a silenced pistol to be a pretty rewarding experience.

RedStep

DualX said:
The only ones that show up are Hunter and Last Stand (had to unlock Infiltration through Uplay). I guess I can go back and check again, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't there when I played it between storylines.

Face-Off isn't available for single players - it's multi only.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's so much shooting. :\ It drifts in and out of what I'd call stealth action but sometimes there's just outright too much shooting (and it isn't all that good).

The other parts are still really fun, but by streamlining the game in certain key areas I really feel like they subtract from the player's toolset.

Salz01

Shogun PaiN said:
Why would you want to play it like that though? I found going through the game on realistic from the off with just a silenced pistol to be a pretty rewarding experience.

I didnt intend to play like this, but once I slipped up and the Alarm goes off, its just easier to run and gun and kill them right away than try and go back to stealth mode.

i just played the coop compaign and have to say, it's one of my fav coop experiences! love the interactions with archer and kestrel. lots of wow moments

one was when i grabbed a dude and did his jackie chan shit and grabbed me as a hostage. my coop buddy took him out like in the movies.

and i just love the dialog exchanges.

frontieruk

Would just liike to thank tunesmith dealing with my co-op crapness this evening, still a fun session tho, the pacing is unbelievably quick compared to going through solo

have you guys experienced any slow mo in coop? it kinda feels like lag but it's not. your player just moves extra slow for some reason.

frontieruk

macfoshizzle said:
have you guys experienced any slow mo in coop? it kinda feels like lag but it's not. your player just moves extra slow for some reason.

Cn't say I have tunesmith was saying something about having come across it, though he thought it was lag

Ten-Song

macfoshizzle said:

That would be your partner doing the mark and execute move. The world will slow down for both of you when one person pushes the button, so there's a quick moment where the other person can freely join in on the other player's execute and take out whatever marks they have that show up as red.

Finished this game yesterday. Underwhelmed just as I was 3 or 4 years ago when I last played Splinter Cell. The new stuff is nice, but it doesn't address the fact that you're doing the exact same stuff from minute 1 as you are at the very last minute of the game.

Just like in the original style splinter cells, you think there's all this creative freedom to solve problems when in reality there's a couple of ways to go about the exact same issue that is thrown at you over and over and over again. I didn't buy it then i'm not buying it now.

The story is stupid (again, like the previous iterations). Sam is a parody. Always was. I liked the way they told it through the text decals on the walls, but that's like saying you liked a salesman's personality, but don't want anything to do with the product he's selling. The interrogations were stupid. It was just too game-like to me. What should be very intense and real felt fake and contrived.

Overall, all the bitching and moaning about changing Splinter Cell was really uncalled for if you ask me. It's the same game with minor changes that at first seem huge. I'm still bored after a couple of hours and the game still leaves me with little reason to care about what i'm doing. They got rid of some of the really dull stuff like hiding bodies, but ultimately it's not really nearly as creative and thoughtful as it thinks it is gameplay wise. It's pretty shallow and it always was. The game throws more baddies at you and gives you the ability to kill them instantly - so i'm insta-killing 10 enemies and sneakly killing 3. What's the difference between that and just sneakily killing 3 like I did in the previous games? Nothing to me after about 3 or 4 times of watching the cool mark and execute animations.

Played a tiny bit of co-op, just felt like SP but with 2 people. Literally. Like 2 people playing sp but happen to be playing in the same proxy. We can work together if you want, but we'll have to force it a bit. Look forward to diving deeper and playing a full mission at some point, but i'm not sure how deep it gets.

I thought the concept of sam being more "bourne" the video game would have made for some great competitive 6 or 8 player multiplayer. 1 Sam vs 7 militants or 2 vs 16 for instance. Maybe there is a mode like that in this game, but the layout is so bad i really don't know what is what unless I just press "search game" and find out for myself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
After upgrading my guns and armor, I will say I find the game more bearable. Going through co-op with no upgrades and no guns was a pain in the ass... but then again, they should just warn you before hand that you need to play co-op with upgrades unlocked.

There are still a lot of janky shit though. If a gun and your partner are down on the same spot, the game fucks up and can't decide whether you want to pick up a gun or revive your teammate... at which point, you get shot and die.

I don't mind making the game hard by spamming dudes, but the game shouldn't kill you because of random UI bugs.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Mr. B Natural said:
Finished this game yesterday. Underwhelmed just as I was 3 or 4 years ago when I last played Splinter Cell. The new stuff is nice, but it doesn't address the fact that you're doing the exact same stuff from minute 1 as you are at the very last minute of the game.

Just like in the original style splinter cells, you think there's all this creative freedom to solve problems when in reality there's a couple of ways to go about the exact same issue that is thrown at you over and over and over again. I didn't buy it then i'm not buying it now.

The story is stupid (again, like the previous iterations). Sam is a parody. Always was. I liked the way they told it through the text decals on the walls, but that's like saying you liked a salesman's personality, but don't want anything to do with the product he's selling. The interrogations were stupid. It was just too game-like to me. What should be very intense and real felt fake and contrived.

Overall, all the bitching and moaning about changing Splinter Cell was really uncalled for if you ask me. It's the same game with minor changes that at first seem huge. I'm still bored after a couple of hours and the game still leaves me with little reason to care about what i'm doing. They got rid of some of the really dull stuff like hiding bodies, but ultimately it's not really nearly as creative and thoughtful as it thinks it is gameplay wise. It's pretty shallow and it always was. The game throws more baddies at you and gives you the ability to kill them instantly - so i'm insta-killing 10 enemies and sneakly killing 3. What's the difference between that and just sneakily killing 3 like I did in the previous games? Nothing to me after about 3 or 4 times of watching the cool mark and execute animations.

Played a tiny bit of co-op, just felt like SP but with 2 people. Literally. Like 2 people playing sp but happen to be playing in the same proxy. We can work together if you want, but we'll have to force it a bit. Look forward to diving deeper and playing a full mission at some point, but i'm not sure how deep it gets.

I thought the concept of sam being more "bourne" the video game would have made for some great competitive 6 or 8 player multiplayer. 1 Sam vs 7 militants or 2 vs 16 for instance. Maybe there is a mode like that in this game, but the layout is so bad i really don't know what is what unless I just press "search game" and find out for myself.

Sam is a parody of what, exactly?

EekTheKat

I'm such a whore for stealth games. Just bought the 4 game Splinter Cell pack on Steam that includes Splinter Cell, Chaos Theory, Double Agent, and Conviction. The old games are immediately available for download, but the new one unlocks on the 27th.

Guess Pandora Tomorrow is the black sheep of the Splinter Cell Family :lol

I recently made some fairly significant upgrades to my PC, so would like to see what this game looks like in high res (2560x1440).

I've pretty much accepted Conviction for what it is, and I'm actually having some fun with it on the 360, though I would've liked to see UBI add a difficulty level that dumps infinite ammo for the pistol and lose the "last known position" outline.

One might say that no infinite ammo and no last known position would've been a reasonable change for the realistic difficulty setting, but it is what it is I suppose.

Starting off with a handgun with limited ammo and having to use more weapons salvaged in the field probably would've been better with the new combat oriented design of the game.

The level design in Deniable Ops seems better than the ones in the actual campaign themselves.

I've been trying to not use the god-gun
Five Seven
in the game as much, and it's taught me to play more conservatively instead of just marking everything in the room, tossing a flashbang, and execute everyone. Unfortunately most coop partners do tend to just run and gun it.

Y2Kev

Finished it just now. Overall I think it was good. Not chaos theory, but not double agent 360. I feel like the gameplay could mature into something really special if they give the player more options, of which stealth needs to be the most viable option. There are too many pure shooting setpieces (and by too many I mean 1 is too many). I imagine there are some ways to get through some encounters without shooting, but given the way the game is set up, that becomes so inordinately frustrating that it isn't worth it. I need a proper light, dark, and sound meter as well as my full, expanded toolset from chaos theory. I need to freaking whistle. You can't actually make noise to draw attention without using a camera!

The most frustrating parts of the game are those where you have to go on a shooting spree with the limited tools you have. There's one level that's a pretty strong example of this that everybody knows, but there are a surprising number of these encounters spread throughout the rest of the game too.

The graphics would be great if they were higher res. Sam's model is nice and detailed, and very well animated. Nobody else's model is. Sam at this point is Benjamin Button. He's gotten progressively younger looking, more mobile, more agile, and more...stylish. It's just bizarre. But he's a pretty good character. The environments are nicely detailed. The framerate is not good enough for what's on screen, but it's mostly solid.

The guards talk too much.

The plot wasn't bad. Does anyone else think it is funny how every single "war game" now has the same plot with the
emp
? Was there a memo passed around at last E3?

I think Eurogamer's review is pretty good.

burgerdog

Y2Kev said:
Finished it just now. Overall I think it was good. Not chaos theory, but not double agent 360. I feel like the gameplay could mature into something really special if they give the player more options. And if they make stealth a more viable option. There are too many pure shooting setpieces (and by too many I mean 1 is too many). The most frustrating parts of the game are those where you have to go on a shooting spree with the limited tools you have. There's one level that's a pretty strong example of this that everybody knows, but there are a surprising number of these encounters spread throughout the rest of the game too.

The graphics would be great if they were higher res. Sam's model is nice and detailed, and very well animated. Nobody else's model is. Sam at this point is Benjamin Button. He's gotten progressively younger looking, more mobile, more agile, and more...stylish. It's just bizarre. But he's a pretty good character.

The guards talk too much.

I think Eurogamer's review is pretty good.

"Stop hiding with the nerds, Fisher!" There was a ton of laughably bad lines like this throughout the game. I agree with everything that you said, and I think the main reason why shootouts are so bad in this game, Sam's accuracy turns to shit after the first shot. You need to shoot, wait a second, and shoot again to stay accurate. Of course, that doesn't work when you're surrounded by like five different enemies. Not to mention that the last three levels had the enemies upgraded with helmets so stealth headshots became almost impossible, at that point you need to hit the enemy with two shots in a very short amount of time(at least in realistic.)

Y2Kev

burgerdog said:
"Stop hiding with the nerds, Fisher!" There was a ton of laughably bad lines like this throughout the game. I agree with everything that you said, and I think the main reason why shootouts are so bad in this game, Sam's accuracy turns to shit after the first shot. You need to shoot, wait a second, and shoot again to stay accurate. Of course, that doesn't work when you're surrounded by like five different enemies. Not to mention that the last three levels had the enemies upgraded with helmets so stealth headshots became almost impossible, at that point you need to hit the enemy with two shots in a very short amount of time(at least in realistic.)
Yes, I played on realistic. If you don't play on realistic, the "stealth" becomes embarrassing. You can run past guards and run through camera lights basically.

I'm sure this has been asked but I didn't see it in the last few pages.
Does anyone know what johnny cash song is playing in the commercial I keep seeing? It's hard to hear and I can't tell.

Just finished it tonight. I'm not really into co-op with randoms, so I've only beaten the sp campaign. Overall I'd say it's a solid rental. I actually liked the mark and execute system and more actiony approach. The main problem I had was with the story and presentation. To put it bluntly the story kind of sucks. The twist early on ruins the whole premise and it turned into typical Tom Clancy fare. Also if you've never played any of the earlier games you will have no idea who any of the characters are, their motivations or why you should care. This could have been a great Bourne revenge story knock off, but it feels like watching the last half of a season of 24 without having watched the first half. Luckily the game play is fun while it lasts. Based on sp alone I'd give it about a 7/10.

Top Bottom