• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

Ten-Song

Woo! Finally got the Perfect Hunter achievement. Now that I got it, it doesn't seem like it was really much of a challenge, but I had suffered far too many late game fuck-ups that had kept me from obtaining the achievement.

Now to start working on the rest of those P.E.C challenges...

Tonza

Just played through the
third echelon base
mission.
Angry Sam and following automatic marks bit was awesome.

Ten-Song said:
Woo! Finally got the Perfect Hunter achievement. Now that I got it, it doesn't seem like it was really much of a challenge, but I had suffered far too many late game fuck-ups that had kept me from obtaining the achievement.

Now to start working on the rest of those P.E.C challenges...

yeah I know how you feel, I've been working on beating all of the Infiltration missions solo the past few days and playing Hunter now feels like child's play

Najaf

Tonza said:
Just played through the
third echelon base
mission.

I thought my game was glitching when that happened.

DualX

GillianSeed79 said:
Also if you've never played any of the earlier games you will have no idea who any of the characters are, their motivations or why you should care.
Really? Couldn't the same be said of any game later in the series? You'd be the only one to blame if you were to jump into any series this far into it (without stepping into any of the ones before) and expect to understand most of what's going on.

Give me a break. This game has finally achieved what they were trying for in the last game, a story that makes it more personal to Sam and not just all about politics, and they did a very damn good job at doing so. The presentation, narration, and camera work were all spot on.

Sectus

Any impressions on the netcode? Has anyone tried to play multiplayer matches where one is in USA and the other is in Australia or similar? I wanna know if the game is still playable with a very high ping.

frontieruk

Sectus said:
Any impressions on the netcode? Has anyone tried to play multiplayer matches where one is in USA and the other is in Australia or similar? I wanna know if the game is still playable with a very high ping.

nope hoping it will be ok, as am going to play through with my friend in Australia

EagleEyes

Just got done with the single player on realistic and the co-op campaign on realistic and I must say it was pretty darn awesome. Definitely right behind Mass Effect 2 as my favorite game so far this year. I'm a huge Splinter Cell fan and the changes in this game for the most part were better for the series imo. Can't wait for some DLC.

As someone who sucks at stealth games and doesn't pick up on enviromental details, this game is intimidating as fuck. So far every encounter with more than three guys has turned into a clusterfuck.

Why does this game look so bad?? Almost a generation apart from Assassins Creed 2.

And this game was delayed! WTF!
A generation in the other direction maybe. This game looks amazing, AC2 looks poo.

Amir0x

Banned
no he's right. Splinter Cell is blurry and lower res, and yet still frequently sports ugly textures. Even with Splinter Cell's considerably smaller scale, Assassin's Creed 2 still manages to hold parity and surpass it at many times. And in art direction? Fuggetaboutit.

Splinter Cell Conviction is definitely one of the bigger visual disappointments for me. Did not expect that. I expected the lame casualization of the genre, and decided i just wanted to finish the franchise anyway, but... in a franchise known for pushing technical boundaries on consoles, this game is dubious.

Barakov

Son of Godzilla said:
As someone who sucks at stealth games and doesn't pick up on enviromental details, this game is intimidating as fuck. So far every encounter with more than three guys has turned into a clusterfuck.

A generation in the other direction maybe. This game looks amazing, AC2 looks poo.

:lol

SC: Conviction looks far from amazing.

Son of Godzilla said:

You're nuts. AC2 is amazing!

EekTheKat

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Btw, proximity mine is now up for 'unlocking'. Pretty cool.

In a way, they're actually more effective as grenades than actual grenades, since it seems as though the AI ignores them if you throw it at them. Much like Sticky Cams don't register to AI's as a grenade.

So you can just chuck them at a group of guys and they won't flinch.

Amir0x said:
Splinter Cell Conviction is definitely one of the bigger visual disappointments for me. Did not expect that. I expected the lame casualization of the genre, and decided i just wanted to finish the franchise anyway, but... in a franchise known for pushing technical boundaries on consoles, this game is dubious.

It will probably look MUCH better on PC when its released soon.

EagleEyes

Son of Godzilla said:

I concur. I think it looks great. I can't think of another game that has this much detail in the environments. I was just going through the carnival level and the little details are amazing. Every basketball at one of the stands can be shot and they even flatten, every one of them. Amazing.

Chrange

Banned
EagleEyes said:
I concur. I think it looks great. I can't think of another game that has this much detail in the environments. I was just going through the carnival level and the little details are amazing. Every basketball at one of the stands can be shot and they even flatten, every one of them. Amazing.
lol I have to try that now. I never even saw them the first time through.

Just beat my first run on realistic, looking forward to trying out the multi this weekend, add me if you wanna play some (GT in profile).

I should add, longest credits ever. I mean, they could only spring for a 60 second ending cinematic, but the game apparently involved over 1000 people by my count.

For the perfect hunter achievement, if you're detected when you're going to punch a dude but you kill him before he can get a shot off and alert the rest, does that count for you being detected or is only when reinforcements are called in?

snoopeasystreet said:
For the perfect hunter achievement, if you're detected when you're going to punch a dude but you kill him before he can get a shot off and alert the rest, does that count for you being detected or is only when reinforcements are called in?

Only when reinforcements are called in from my experience.

My friend and I like to joke about how annoyed we get when a chandelier falling = intruder and backup is needed. Because clearly the person who installed that thing couldn't have done a shitty job or anything! :lol

FrankT

I finally had some sit down time last night with the game and hit up the co-op. Probably one of the bettter co-op experiences I've had this gen to say the least.

painey

Tonza said:
Just played through the
third echelon base
mission.

It kinda proves how idiotic the "takedown = mark and execute" is when you can just do it for every kill. Why can't Sam do it all the time.. only when he is livid, or if hes killed someone up close... wheres the logic?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Is it just me or does Sam Fisher look a wee bit like Jeff Green in this game? I'm having a hard time taking it seriously :lol

dyergram

Am i the only one whose getting the tutorial messages stay on the screen in garbled mess bug? This is seriously ruining the game for me right now :(

LiK

dyergram said:
Am i the only one whose getting the tutorial messages stay on the screen in garbled mess bug? This is seriously ruining the game for me right now :(
Never happened to me

monkeyhat

painey said:
It kinda proves how idiotic the "takedown = mark and execute" is when you can just do it for every kill. Why can't Sam do it all the time.. only when he is livid, or if hes killed someone up close... wheres the logic?
Maybe M&E is triggered by adrenaline? Which I guess he'd get from the danger of close combat takedowns, or from stress in the other situation.

Beaulieu

So if I dont have the special edition of this game, and didnt preordered it or bought it at gamestop or Ebgame, Im never gonna be able to play the infiltration game mode? Can i buy it from the marketplace or something ?

And I seem to be the only one that enjoys the Single player more than the coop campain.. in coop, the level design sucked, and we were in the dark 99% of the time.

Beaulieu said:
So if I dont have the special edition of this game, and didnt preordered it or bought it at gamestop or Ebgame, Im never gonna be able to play the infiltration game mode? Can i buy it from the marketplace or something ?

And I seem to be the only one that enjoys the Single player more than the coop campain.. in coop, the level design sucked, and we were in the dark 99% of the time.

Complete certain actions in the game and you'll get Uplay points. You can use those Uplay points to "purchase" Infiltration Mode from the Extras menu.

http://www.uplay.com if you don't have an account set up.

Has anyone gotten that Splinter Cell stats page to work? Three different browsers and when I log in I get a blank page.

Beaulieu

Gooster said:
Complete certain actions in the game and you'll get Uplay points. You can use those Uplay points to "purchase" Infiltration Mode from the Extras menu.

http://www.uplay.com if you don't have an account set up.

Has anyone gotten that Splinter Cell stats page to work? Three different browsers and when I log in I get a blank page.

haha ok cool thanks
Ive unlocked a lot of UPlay actions already in Convention and also in AC2, will they be detected once I sign up, or did I lose them because I was too lazy to sign up when beginning AC2 ?

Beaulieu

Gooster said:
My guess is once you've created your account and linked your Gamertag, your points from AC2 will be redeemed.

Cool Ill try that tonight.
I cant seem to be able to link my account from the website, so I guess I have to do it from my console..

Amory

Just finished it. I guess I would've wanted a game more in the vein of classic splinter cell. I never minded playing the same sequence over and over if it meant eventually getting it perfect and feeling like it was what would've happened in a movie or something. I also liked the darkness meter. This game has visibility switched on and off like a lightswitch, which is pretty ridiculous given that there are "low light" areas too.

Still a pretty good game. I enjoyed the objectives and flashbacks projected onto various surfaces, that was a really cool effect. The "last known position" thing felt fresh in the beginning but staled really fast. I also didn't think this game was as easy as I've heard most people saying. There were certain sequences when I would just basically say fuck it and just run 'n gun until I got past it.

Chaos Theory >>>>>>>Original Splinter cell >conviction>double agent>pandora tomorrow

in my book anyway.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
painey said:

Are you serious?

Sectus

RedStep said:
Edit: Nevermind. You meant Australia. Who knows on that one.
It doesn't necessarily have to be Australia. Even if it's a USA->USA connection, I'm curious how the performance is (although it's harder to tell how the netcode works with a low ping... almost any netcode works well in that scenario). I'm especially curious if there's any input lag to movement.

Tonza

painey said:

It's very gamey that's for sure. But I like when games give the player a feeling of being 'godlike'. :D

I completed the game and I liked it. The game was fun but I don't see myself playing it again. Im kind of conflicted on whether I should keep the game or not. I have the collectors edition which as a very nice steelbook and figurine. I haven't yet used any of the codes or opened the figurine so I could sell it for a good amount of cash. (I got it with a GS trade-in deal)

eso76

painey said:

Well, obviously being able to do it all the time would kill the game, but i somewhat agree. Being able to M&E after a close range kill makes no sense and it makes it even more apparent that the game was designed around this.
Lone guard followed by groups of 3 or 4 enemies...repeat.

It makes sense, though, that Sam is able to dispose of enemies more quickly and more efficiently once he memorized their position in a room. Tagging enemies already is a huge aid, since you get this arrow on each enemy's head constantly showing you his position; yes you should be able to do it all the time, but you shouldn't be able to take them all out with a single button press, ever.

What should happen is, once you've tagged enemies, you should get some sort of assisted aim where tapping, say, RB, Sam would quickly turn to face the next enemy on his right (and so on) but you'd still need to do a little manual fine-aiming and pull the trigger for each enemy.

I really hate the un organic roll animation, also the game feels too shitty compared to Chaos theory and first splinter cell and WTF ... there is no limit to ammo ? they should just place Elika behind Fisher tickling his butt.

Osietra

Banned
It's amazing that the devs have made Fisher into this amazing paranoid schizo nut ball.

There are a ton of documented cases of disturbed individuals seeing messages on bill boards etc telling them to do this and that.

Bravo Ubisoft !

Salz01 said:
I didnt intend to play like this, but once I slipped up and the Alarm goes off, its just easier to run and gun and kill them right away than try and go back to stealth mode.

alarm? I only remember an alarm on one part and that in the parking garage and the alarm going off would cease the game. what the heck game are you playing?

anyways, this game is great..so much better than what the demo lead me to believe. love it.

that is all.

See

So, last night I completed co-op split screen by my self on realistic! I thought I could just clear an area by using just one guy, but nope.. the other guy is there for a reason!

Strangely though, it was less frustrating that playing it with a stranger over live. Nearly everyone I have played with resorted to shooting every enemy in sight.

Top Bottom