• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

sethcheek

If anyone here has an unused code for the VR Akali armor, either through a pre-order, or through the Code of Conviction ARG, and are willing to sell/trade for it, please PM me. I would Paypal or trade MS points.

I missed one chunk of the damn ARG game, and can't get a hold of the suit now.

At one point of the game do they talk about a weapons company called Darpa? Kinda like the company in Metal Gear. I wonder if it was done on purpose.

dyergram

Finished the game last night really enjoyed it. Started again on realistic straight away this and AC2 have further cemented my love of ubisoft bring on ghost re con I say, also new rainbow 6 please.

The
Third Echelon
level is definitely one of the coolest moments in any game this year, for me. I played it so perfectly, and the two big pay offs in that level were pretty rad.

dyergram said:
Finished the game last night really enjoyed it. Started again on realistic straight away this and AC2 have further cemented my love of ubisoft bring on ghost re con I say, also new rainbow 6 please.

Seriously. I want a new Rainbow Six RIGHT NOW. Vegas 2 was okay, but it all felt so half-assed. I liked the whole PEC system that both R6V2 and Conviction use, however.

frontieruk

I posted this over in the online thread but to make sure everyone has seen it, I'll repost here :-

For those worried about intercontinental lag, just played through the first level with my friend in Australia, my friend didn't detect anything off with the game and thought it played very well, to me having played online twice with people ALOT closer to home the controls felt a bit sluggish, but not unplayable, only way I can describe it is it felt like playing KZ2 where the controls felt floaty, but still very playable.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sectus said:
It doesn't necessarily have to be Australia. Even if it's a USA->USA connection, I'm curious how the performance is (although it's harder to tell how the netcode works with a low ping... almost any netcode works well in that scenario). I'm especially curious if there's any input lag to movement.

I played the whole co-op game with a friend in CA(I live in PA). It felt fine to us the whole time, though we had a few spikes of lag at times.

robot

Having fun with the game though admittedly it's been a rollercoaster of yay and nay.

I don't understand why there are so many unsilenced(?) weapons for Sam to use - this is a splinter cell game dammit I dont want to be seen. And I feel like I should be able to interact with the environment a lot more to create distractions and shit. Like tapping on walls maybe, I dunno. I remember being able to throw bottles in the old ones - did sam lose his thumbs or something?

Everdred

I'm really enjoying the game so far. It really isn't a standard Splinter Cell stealth game anymore but that's OK with me. It's more of a action movie. Presentation is great and the action is top notch.

Like I said, nearing the end on my second playthrough (Realtistic difficulty this time) and I cannot overstate how great the soundtrack is. Love it.

Son of Godzilla said:
A generation in the other direction maybe. This game looks amazing, AC2 looks poo.

For real? I really enjoy this game, but at times, it looks really dated. Assassins Creed 2 looks great all the way through.

robot said:
Having fun with the game though admittedly it's been a rollercoaster of yay and nay.

I don't understand why there are so many unsilenced(?) weapons for Sam to use - this is a splinter cell game dammit I dont want to be seen. And I feel like I should be able to interact with the environment a lot more to create distractions and shit. Like tapping on walls maybe, I dunno. I remember being able to throw bottles in the old ones - did sam lose his thumbs or something?

I agree completely.

OK, I get it, you wanted to make it more accessible, but at least allow me to play it like the older Splinter Cell games. Why can't I throw cans/empty magazines? Why can't I knock on walls? Why can't I whistle? Why can't I drag bodies? Why are MANY of the rooms/ areas designed specifically for me to have to choke out at least 2 guards? I have no problems with making the game accessible, but this really is Splinter Cell in name only.

With that said, I'm really enjoying the game. A lot.:D

PS: The black and white thing has to go. Give me a light meter again. Not only does it completely ruin the graphics which look much better in color, but it also tricks the player into thinking a spot is darker than it really is.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
played up to
Iraq mission
its not splinter cell but i like it so far and i think ubi should have named this splinter cell :curious case of sam fisher:lol

NZNova

Well my "Play Splinter Cell like Gears of War" strategy just got fucked over hard by the
Third Echelon infiltration
mission. Fuck.

skyfinch

robot said:

I know what you mean. I'm down to using the exact 2 same guns each time, and both have silencers. And the sticky camera doesn't always attract attention. Guards may hear it, but refuse to walk over to it.

Anyways, finished all but 1 of the p.e.c challenges. The "Cat and Mouse" one. For some reason, even though I've through the game 3 times, and did a lot of the infiltration games, I only have done 2 out of 5 of these cat and mouse challenges. Anyone know a good way of finishing this one?

skyfinch said:
I know what you mean. I'm down to using the exact 2 same guns each time, and both have silencers. And the sticky camera doesn't always attract attention. Guards may hear it, but refuse to walk over to it.

I know I have options with the weapons, but I hate that the Five Seven pistol is the only gun that has four M&E tags available. I don't even use M&E all that much, but I like tagging enemies as a means of keeping track of their positions without the sonar goggles. I also hate that I can't add a silencer to the USP .45 or the G36C.

Edit: I think guards will ignore the sticky cam music if they're already alerted to your presence but have yet to discover you, which sucks, because that's like how my missions go 90% of the time.

eso76

ToyMachine228 said:
Like I said, nearing the end on my second playthrough (Realtistic difficulty this time) and I cannot overstate how great the soundtrack is. Love it.

soundtrack is very good, but it could have been used much better.

I personally only realized how good it was during the end credits roll. I hadn't noticed most tracks in the ost had a recurring theme in different arrangements before. They could have turned it into the main theme the series always lacked.

I can't say i didn't enjoy conviction, but there's so much wasted potential in here it hurts.
The game has some great ideas and 3 great levels, but even those could have been so much better.
I didn't dislike the streamlined gameplay as much as i thought i would after playing the demo, but they didn't have to cut throwing objects,moving corpses and jumping for that. Animations are awful at times (why couldn't they use AC natural motion blending like initially advertised for the old conviction is beyond me) level design often leaves no choice on your next move whatsoever, game relies on the stupid tag and execute far too much, I was expecting dramatic improvements in AI and while it sometimes shows surprisingly believable reactions, enemies' behaviour is still rather simplistic, they're still generally dumb and the AI suffers from a number of holes you can exploit. Graphics are very dated, i even believe Double Agent looked better than this at times and that's incredibly disappointing for an exclusive and from the "good" SC team. Why use UE3 when you own better engines developed internally ?

Too bad, because there's a number of good ideas in this game that deserved a much better implementation.

Just finished my Realistic run. Somehow after finishing the game twice I'm still missing three weapons. the AK-47, one two-handed SMG and one one-handed SMG. Any tips? I need to get them to upgrade them to get the achievement to unlock and upgrade all weapons.

eso76 said:
Double Agent looked better than this at times and that's incredibly disappointing for an exclusive and from the "good" SC team. Why use UE3 when you own better engines developed internally ?

Too bad, because there's a number of good ideas in this game that deserved a much better implementation.

They used UE 2/2.5 IE: the same engine Double Agent used and yeah, the shit is super dated. Maybe they wanted to cut costs but I imagine you can only add so much to an engine before it starts to get bogged down by all the effects and such. Sure there's depth of field and other nice stuff but it runs at 1024 by whatever...
I bet they were so behind that a new engine was out of the question. But yeah, Splinter Cell deserves better

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So the PC version is this week? May give that a shot despite the DRM. The 360 performance and resolution seems lousy.

eshwaaz

I'm still a bit miffed over the short length of the campaign, but I still enjoyed it enough for a second playthrough. I'm also having a lot of fun with Deniable Ops, but I would really like to see Ubisoft patch in hard checkpoint support for solo play. Sometimes I feel like playing some Deniable Ops, but don't feel like playing through an entire scenario. Once I've gotten to a chapter, let me select it from the pre-game setup menu.

pulga

Banned
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I feel the game lacked in the stealth department. Every situation should've had a stealthy solution, but many times the only way out was all out bullet hell. Enjoyed the game for what it tried to accomplish, but I'm hoping for the next game they go back to a stealthier approach.

Fuck, at least give us the ability to whistle. Did Sam forget how to in b/w games?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BrassMonkey1010 said:
For real? I really enjoy this game, but at times, it looks really dated. Assassins Creed 2 looks great all the way through.
Umm, AC2 looked like dogshit outside of the cities (just like the first).

eso76

AgentOtaku said:
They used UE 2/2.5 IE: the same engine Double Agent used and yeah, the shit is super dated. Maybe they wanted to cut costs but I imagine you can only add so much to an engine before it starts to get bogged down by all the effects and such. Sure there's depth of field and other nice stuff but it runs at 1024 by whatever...
I bet they were so behind that a new engine was out of the question. But yeah, Splinter Cell deserves better

oh, yes not even UE3. Ubisoft has scimitar and whatever farcry2 (Avatar too i suppose) engine was called, both awesome engines. Sure their strenghts are probably useless in a SC game, but i wonder what the original Conviction was running on. I remember devs claiming they had this awesome engine which simulated photon mapping with light reflecting on surfaces, why would they trash it ?

Didn't Bioshock run off Unreal 2? Personally i think both games look great. Some of the outdoors stuff in Conviction reminded me of Assassins Creed 2, with the carnival, and fireworks.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
NarcissisticJay said:
Whats the length of the co-op story?

5 levels, i think

the levels are realllllllllly long... i believe we played about 4 hours on 4 levels and we were being pretty damn quick about things

lantus

NarcissisticJay said:
Whats the length of the co-op story?

4 levels, with 3-5 chapters per level. It took me and my buddy about 6-7 hours on realistic, keep in mind we were trying to utterly destroy everything in our path in as little time as possible, when stealth wasn't required of course.

I've yet to get past the 1st level of the co-op for a few reasons. Mainly the terrible matchups I've played with and just not having the time to commit to a full level. Really long levels. Still looking for some co-op fools to rush with!

EekTheKat

Alright, just played the first 3 levels on PC via Steam.

First impression : UBI Login system didn't recognize my UBI.com username and password, had to trigger a password reset to be able to log in.

GTX 470 (and 480) are both detected as not supported cards, so each time you start up the game you get another prompt that asks you if you want to continue.

Mouse movement is a bit weird, slightly laggy. Had to turn up mouse sensitivity for it to feel normal-ish again. That being said, having mouseaim AND Mark and Execute makes an already easy game even easier.

Default controls look like this :

WASD movement
R - Reload
F - gadget
C - close quarters combat/body shield
Q - Mark
E - Execute
Shift - run toggle
Control - Crouch Toggle.

Item select - mouse wheel

Left Mouse button to shoot, Right Mouse button to get into cover, Middle Mouse button to zoom in.

Game looks great at 2540x1440. Don't have fraps or anything running at the moment but the framerate feels like it stays above 30 most of the time with vsync on.

Controls are okay, but for some reason they took out the best thing about previous Splinter Cell games on PC - the mouse run.
Running on PC is a toggle now, triggered by the shift button (which isn't anywhere near as good as using the mouse wheel to determine run speed).

Looking back, precision movement control probably isn't needed in a game like this, though something about the toggle just doesn't feel right (I'd rather use a hold to run).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
AgentOtaku said:
I'm the opposite. I hate having to hold a key run or walk on PC. Love when it's toggle ala Mass Effect 1

How's controller support?

He doesn't like the toggle because in all previous Splinter Cell games you used the mouse wheel to control levels of movement speed.

EekTheKat

AgentOtaku said:
I'm the opposite. I hate having to hold a key run or walk on PC. Love when it's toggle ala Mass Effect 1

How's controller support?

Just paired up my 360 controller to test, and so far it's buggy as hell :lol Least the Steam Version seems to not like the Xbox360 wireless controller. Button mappings are all screwed up. (X = B, B = X) L trigger and R trigger tilts camera left and right.

From what I've read, patch 1.01 fixes this though, but I don't see any updates on Steam yet.

Finished my first playthough on the default difficulty setting. I had known it was short, but I was truly shocked when the game ended. I mean, it seemed like a logical place to end the game, but I felt like I had just started playing. It must have taken me less than 6 hours to complete, and it was very easy. Playing on realistic will hopefully make for a longer and more challenging experience.

The co-op seems like it will be more fun then the single player mode, but I have to wait until my schedule aligns with my old Splinter Cell buddy before trying it out.

EekTheKat said:
Just paired up my 360 controller to test, and so far it's buggy as hell :lol Least the Steam Version seems to not like the Xbox360 wireless controller. Button mappings are all screwed up. (X = B, B = X) L trigger and R trigger tilts camera left and right.

From what I've read, patch 1.01 fixes this though, but I don't see any updates on Steam yet.

holy shit, Ubi still has this problems with proper 360 wireless controllers!? (I know wired is fine).

So far AC1 and 2 have had issues with this, or more specifically where the triggers wouldn't register.

Does the UI change to 360 mappings or is it still keyboard?

Stallion Free said:
He doesn't like the toggle because in all previous Splinter Cell games you used the mouse wheel to control levels of movement speed.

Oh I remeber and yeah it was awesome. Conviction only uses two speeds of movement anyways (they took out old SC movement), run/walk, so it doesn't really matter.

skyfinch

Just finishing watching the ending of the co-op game. Wow, totally unexpected.

Played through the game about 3 times now, story and hunter mode, and completed all but 1 of the P.E.C challenges, and all I can say is, "mark and execute" is the greatest feature in the history of gaming. Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's so damn awesome. And to think, I honestly thought it was a dumb feature when I saw it demoed at last year's E3.

Does anyone have any tips for Last Stand? I'm getting my ass kicked at about wave 5, on rookie setting.
:lol

tzare

snoopeasystreet said:
For the perfect hunter achievement, if you're detected when you're going to punch a dude but you kill him before he can get a shot off and alert the rest, does that count for you being detected or is only when reinforcements are called in?
i'd ask how long are thos maps to getr that achievement? 4 sections? more? because it is a bit stressing to way the perfect moment to kill someone and it takes too long :D

BTW, how many coop story based missions are? only 4?

skyfinch

tzare said:
i'd ask how long are thos maps to getr that achievement? 4 sections? more? because it is a bit stressing to way the perfect moment to kill someone and it takes too long :D

For the first level, it's 5 sections, I believe. I got right to the end, with one guy left to kill, then the bastard somehow detected me. I must have retried 20 times so far and still haven't been able to get this. The long ass loading time to get to the lobby then back into the game doesn't help.

Top Bottom