• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

lantus

Damn Infiltration requires a lot of patience, it's really tough to just stay back when you're practically a machine constructed to destroy them all in one fell swoop. :lol At least it keeps challenging me, or else my friend and I would be blowing through it just like everything else.

Feindflug

Solid warrior said:
i beat the game on realistic difficulty and i didn't get the achievement. :/ i was expecting this to happen. ubiglitch.

According to Ubi a new update is coming that will take care of this glitch - you won't have to beat the game again as the new title update will check if you completed all the chapters on Realistic and then the achievement will automatically unlock. :)

tzare

skyfinch said:
For the first level, it's 5 sections, I believe. I got right to the end, with one guy left to kill, then the bastard somehow detected me. I must have retried 20 times so far and still haven't been able to get this. The long ass loading time to get to the lobby then back into the game doesn't help.

yeah, loading times kill me too. I takes sooooooo long to get to the last section, and i get anxious and thet get spotted , i will try again today but it makes me want to destroy the pad :D

panda21

EekTheKat said:
Just paired up my 360 controller to test, and so far it's buggy as hell :lol Least the Steam Version seems to not like the Xbox360 wireless controller. Button mappings are all screwed up. (X = B, B = X) L trigger and R trigger tilts camera left and right.

From what I've read, patch 1.01 fixes this though, but I don't see any updates on Steam yet.

is there a patch yet? looking at the ubisoft website it looks like they havent released any pc patches since 2008 :lol does it go through uplay?

Apparently theres a PC patch coming/is already out -

* Voice chat
* Added DLC support
* Added multi-GPU support (Crossfire/SLI)
* Added ATI Eyefinity support
* Fixed graphic glitches when running in low visual quality
* Fixed Microsoft Wireless X360 controller not being detected properly with some drivers
* Fixed many disconnection problems in coop modes
* Fixed interaction buttons overlapping in certain resolutions/aspect ratios
* Low-end video card optimizations
* Various minor fixes

Kayhan

Ogs said:
Apparently theres a PC patch coming/is already out -
I am considering getting it for PC but it seems like a high price for such a short game.

Maybe I will wait till it drops in price.

Spayro

Kayhan said:
I am considering getting it for PC but it seems like a high price for such a short game.

I got it for 25 pounds, seems reasonable.
Badass game. short, but sweet. too bad it's hard to find a MP game :lol

Pooya

Gamespot review of PC version 6.5/10
looks like it's a bad buggy port and the game is way too easy with mouse/keyboard.
On PCs that exceed the recommended system requirements, Conviction is prone to frame rate dips and the occasional stutter. Even the overly compressed cinematics suffer from similar frame rate jitters when the camera pans across the environment.

You can plug in an Xbox 360 controller of course, but you'll need to use the wired variety because the button mapping on wireless controllers is broken and cannot be adjusted.

It's a shame that the PC version of Splinter Cell: Conviction doesn't deliver on its potential. Stellar storytelling and slick executions lead to some enjoyment, but other facets of the game come across as careless. Co-op play without player communication; uneven performance; copy protection that leads to noticeable in-game frustrations--these and other elements distract from what should have been a great game. That it retails for $10 more than a typical PC release makes these flaws seem even more egregious.

Kayhan said:

If you're interested in coop you can play this game for at least 20 hours.

Saty

The patch seems to cover most of the isuues Gamespot had with the game.

LOL about keyboard and mouse making the game easier! Yes, cause you can aim and move between targets with no struggle. Maybe it's easier cause the implemented a cover system, took out most of the stealth and added Mark and Execute.

TripOpt55

So, I'm not even sure how you unlock weapons. I would just notice I unlocked more not really how I did it. Anyway, I'm missing the AK it seems. How does one get that? Is it related to co-op story because I still haven't played through it.

Also, I finally went onto Uplay because I remembered my Ubi account and it kept getting errors when I tried to get my rewards. Kind of wanted at least the theme and the extra mode.

kaskade

I'm still loving the game. Just playing hunter alone is fun. I haven't even tried the co-op mode yet :lol . I almost find it fun to be seen. Then I'm really being much more vicious, it also makes it seem like I have to make my decisions happen a lot faster.

I'm interested in playing this game, as I am a big Splinter Cell fan. The problem is I just can't seem to find the time or interest to finish Double Agent.

Should I just go ahead and get Conviction anyway?

Q8D3vil

Just paired up my 360 controller to test, and so far it's buggy as hell Least the Steam Version seems to not like the Xbox360 wireless controller. Button mappings are all screwed up. (X = B, B = X) L trigger and R trigger tilts camera left and right.

From what I've read, patch 1.01 fixes this though, but I don't see any updates on Steam yet.
it's the exact same problem with assassin creed 2 on pc.
but someone from the community fixed assassin creed 2 problem, i hope they fix this too.

skyfinch

I went back and played some Chaos Theory.....wow! The controls are so clunky. I'm quite surprised at how much of an improvement Conviction is.

Feindflug said:
According to Ubi a new update is coming that will take care of this glitch - you won't have to beat the game again as the new title update will check if you completed all the chapters on Realistic and then the achievement will automatically unlock. :)

Thank Christ, my first co-op partner and I both got this glitch as well.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The game is fun and tense. I find it quite challenging actually. It's my first Splinter Cell game.

Karram

Is it just me or is anyone else keeps getting disconnected from the online Coop ? I can't even complete the first level.

kuYuri

Jaded Alyx said:
I'm interested in playing this game, as I am a big Splinter Cell fan. The problem is I just can't seem to find the time or interest to finish Double Agent.

Should I just go ahead and get Conviction anyway?

Go ahead and play Conviction

Only two things from Double Agent are ever brought up in Conviction and it's
Sarah and Lambert related.

panda21

so it seems the multiplayer for this has been cracked as well, while legitimate buyers are still waiting on the day "1" patch to roll out from ubisoft to make the game playable with the 360 controller, because of a bug that has been around since RS:Vegas 2 :lol

it seems even people with wired 360 controllers are getting bugs with it swapping A/B/X around. so glad i didnt buy it... now I play the waiting game to see if they are actually going to let everyone have this mythical 1.01 patch that some people randomly got but not others...

way to go ubi

Strider2K99 said:
Go ahead and play Conviction

Only two things from Double Agent are ever brought up in Conviction and it's
Sarah and Lambert related.

I would agree and disagree with this. One plot point of Double Agent becomes a huge deal in Conviction, but I'd just find a plot summary somewhere rather than go through the entire Double Agent game.

Q8D3vil said:
it's the exact same problem with assassin creed 2 on pc.
but someone from the community fixed assassin creed 2 problem, i hope they fix this too.
I don't know if this helps but Saboteur has a similar problem for me. But I found a solution!

Startup the game without!! powering your Wireless Controller. When the game is running and you are in the main menu start your controller as always.

I don't own Conviction but perhaps it works here as well.

I'm planning to get a new laptop soon, and I was really curious about getting this for the PC since I don't own a 360. Perhaps I'll wait on the game until the patch releases to hear about feedback.

Cep

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
So basically they released it unfinished on purpose. Gross.

Seriously.

Anyone know when the patch will be available?

I will not touch the game with a ten-foot poll until they release the patch.

Finally got to play the single player. I beat it in one sitting. i would say I got about 6-7 hours out of it. I thought it was pretty good, I was never bored in the slightest and the storyline kept me interested. Now I'm going back in to check out some of the other modes.

luffeN

Suburban_Nooblet said:
Finally got to play the single player. I beat it in one sitting. i would say I got about 6-7 hours out of it. I thought it was pretty good, I was never bored in the slightest and the storyline kept me interested. Now I'm going back in to check out some of the other modes.
I have to agree here! The single player is pretty entertaining and there are two missions where the music really delivers in setting the mood right and / or making you feel really cool xD It would be cool to have a retry counter because I did it a lot when making a minor mistake. With coop modes and single player I played the game for about 25 hours.

About the ingame voice complaint, well, there is skype, ventrilo, mumble etc. so what's the problem there.. performance problems were almost gone after the ati 10.4a update (here). I rate this game 9 for being outstanding imo.

edit: does anyone know the name of the song
where you have to get to Grim's car? the last part of the military station

Just beat this game and I gotta say....
I love this game.
Sure its short but game's pacing doesn't feel drawn out. What conviction lacks in being a full fledge stealth game, it gains in having variety. Those non stealth parts break up the repetition a little and sprinkle some spice into the overall gameplay. Story isn't a convoluted mess like in MGS4 and the presentation is top notch with the projected instructions and cutscenes on the wall.
Mark and execute did make the game easier but it also made the game feel a lot smoother.
2 things I don't like at all are the colors becoming monochrome when you're hiding in the dark and not being able to whistle or cause some kind of distraction like throwing a bottle.
I also felt that the unlimited silenced pistol made all the other weapons seem useless. They should've given the silencer a life bar and made all pistols with limited ammo to force players to think out of the box instead of playing it safe with one weapon.

I hope they include some dlc that lets you play as hobo Sam.

Double D

Played some of the the deniable ops 'hunter' mode over the weekend. I've played the first two 'levels' and they were both pretty cool. Seems like they missed some opportunities to put in a bunch of different paths here, but maybe I just haven't found them yet.

Anyways, anyone who has finished this mode - do splinter cells show up at some point, or are the 'gas mask' guys the toughest enemy (normal mode)?

kuYuri

Sounds like they are getting ready for a more substantial DLC to be announced besides free weapons and gadgets.

UbiMultipass Twitter said:
Coop is huge hit! Good thing since some killer DLC is almost done – details later. Meantime keep getting ur free stuff every Thurs!

jergrah

Karram said:
Is it just me or is anyone else keeps getting disconnected from the online Coop ? I can't even complete the first level.

Well - I had the same issue last night. Wasnt sure if it was because my pal just switched to the super crappy Sprint Overdrive for his broadband or not though. We tried probably 5 times and never were able to have the game stay up for more than 5-10 minutes before a "sync" error would occur and boot us out.

Chrange

Banned
I was playing and got disconnected. Got the buy all weapons upgrades, buy all uniforms, and buy all camouflage (or maybe upgrades) Achievements, then shut it down.

Started it up today and had to recover my Gamertag. Now I don't have those Achievements, but all the upgrades, uniforms, etc... are purchased. Am I screwed?

Okay. I've had it. This game is terrible. It sucks ass as an action game, and apparantly nobody likes it as a stealth one. I was never a fan of the original SC games, but they always impressed me with how obsessive the game was to small details. This just feels like Gears of War, Sam swathing through piles of mooks without really caring about anything besides whether or not he's currently getting shot at.

The B&W shit is terrible.

The cutscenes are really nice, very impressive, except the models don't even try to synch to the VA and the whole thing pulls you out. And Sam himself even sounds 30 years older than his in game model looks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FUCK.

WHY THE FUCK ARE THE SUBTITLES SO GODDAMN FAST? I can't read that fast Ubisoft. >:|

It's fine for some lines, but I'm midway through a two-lined subtitle and suddenly Sam/
Grims in the first level
are on the nexted "voiced" line and the subtitle moves with it as well.

ARGH. Some of us can't hear and it would be nice to fully enjoy a Splinter Cell for once with full subtitles, but it seems Ubisoft has to rob me of that with fast changing subtitles. *sigh* I hope it's just the first/tutorial level. :/

Karram

jergrah said:
Well - I had the same issue last night. Wasnt sure if it was because my pal just switched to the super crappy Sprint Overdrive for his broadband or not though. We tried probably 5 times and never were able to have the game stay up for more than 5-10 minutes before a "sync" error would occur and boot us out.
Well I have been trying to finish the 1st chapter of the Co-op since I bought the game . I hope the Ubi are working on a patch or else I'll trade it in.

After finishing the campaign, and putting a lot of time into the co-op, I really hope that since they already have this engine working that the sequel comes out reletively quickly, meaning 1 1/2 or 2 years instead of FIVE. I really like the athleticism they gave the player, but I want more of the classic Splinter Cell in this engine.

- Non lethal methods to EVERY single encounter. That means Tranquilized weapons, more routes to get around enemies, non-lethal CQC moves, etc. CQC Knife as well for when you want to hold someone hostage without a gun.

- More stealth options. Let me carry bodies, let me throw empty mags, let me throw bottles, let me whistle, let me knocks on walls, let me hit/unscrew light sources close to me instead of shooting them all the time, bring back the split wall jump, etc. i want to play with the environment more.

- Less dependency on Mark + Execute. As it is now, it really FEELS like they designed these rooms for this feature. Mark + execute should be a last resort kind of thing, and the enemies should not be standing around in such obvious patterns. LET ME USE MY BRAIN.

- On detection the game should bring in reinforcements. I don't understand how these guards wouldn't call for backup when they're partners are literally sometimes right downstairs. I want to feel overwhelmed against realistic guards if I get caught. I should have to jump to the ceiling pipe, or in a corner and wait out their aggression, or regroup and re-plan my strategy according to the amount of reinforcements brought in.

- Black and White thing has to go. It doesn't look good, and OFTEN makes you think a spot you're in, or going to is actually darker than it really is. Upon detection when everything is in color the room looks a hell of a lot brighter than it does in B+W. Give me back my light meter.

- Make the guards SHUT UP. I want to be going against highly trained soldiers that don't talk as much, and move in realistic groups using all the military hand signals, etc. These Talky McChatterbox soldiers are annoying.

Basically I want more of the old Splinter Cell back. I appreciate what they did with this one, but they changed it too much IMO. Also, with this super cinematic route they went, replaying sections is a pain. You can't skip cut-scenes until well into them to mask loading, and you can't skip the interactive moments which last up to 3 minutes sometimes. I like the game, but if it takes a completely new main character, or a refresh of the series to get it back to REAL stealth, so be it.

Najaf

What is the shortest Hunter level? I have been trying for the non-detected achievement and am having some sour luck.

Max

I am not Max
The last couple levels of the co-op were like Gears of War for a friend and I. I don't think the realistic difficulty was hard enough to force us to play the rest stealthily, although i'll probably play through it again right next time. I really miss being killed from one bullet like in Chaos Theory's hardest difficulty.

Net_Wrecker said:
Also, with this super cinematic route they went, replaying sections is a pain. You can't skip cut-scenes until well into them to mask loading, and you can't skip the interactive moments which last up to 3 minutes sometimes.
Dude

I agree, its really assy. Makes replaying the game for a 3rd time (which I have to do since my save got corrupted) really irritating.

So, I just picked up SCC, played a little on Normal. I really like it. Though I am still a little wary of the really short single player (so I've heard), so I've been thinking of resetting on 'Realistic'. Is this just a hard mode where the enemies are tougher and more aggressive, or is there any other differences? I generally dislike playing on 'Hard', I get easily annoyed and frustrated, when I just want to have some fun.

skyfinch

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So, I just picked up SCC, played a little on Normal. I really like it. Though I am still a little wary of the really short single player (so I've heard), so I've been thinking of resetting on 'Realistic'. Is this just a hard mode where the enemies are tougher and more aggressive, or is there any other differences? I generally dislike playing on 'Hard', I get easily annoyed and frustrated, when I just want to have some fun.

Only difference I find is that you can't take as many shots before dying. Enemy count seems the same, as does everything else.

Top Bottom